As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting an Xbox 360

Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter ShillRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
I feel really out of place asking this question and didn't even want to create a new threat just for it... if any of you remember me from back in the Halo 2 TBK days (you probably knew me better as Go Democracy GO) , you're probably looking on in disbelief.

I went out of contact with everything technological for 2 years, i got got back in June, but hadn't really the chance or means to pursue my old hobbies ( had to work and save up tuition for college, and since then..well I've been in College.)

I wan't to get an Xbox 360 for Christmas, with the ultimate goal of having Halo 3 and an Xbox Live account, though Halo 3 isn't the only game I have my eyes on.

What my real question is, what you would recomend, or better, how and which way. Dropping $300 for a Pro Bundle isn't exactly that appealing if I'll probably only be using it for a couple of games...

I've kind of been looking on sites like Amazon, debating on whether to just order a used Xbox to save some cash, but it's understandable that I could be a little aprehensive about ordering a console online, and especially used.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what you guys would suggest, as far as the cheapest and safest way of going about this, with the ultimate purpose of Having an Xbox 360, getting a Live account and Halo 3. And of course ya know...controllers and a head set, that would probably come in handy as well.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
Element Brian on

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Trust me when I say that you need a hard drive. There are too many great games on XBLA available for download to just use a memory card.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Trust me when I say that you need a hard drive. There are too many great games on XBLA available for download to just use a memory card.

Duly noted.

Element Brian on

Arch,
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Agreed. If you're at all game savvy enough to be on this forum, you need a hard drive. Get a Pro, or the Arcade pack + 60gb hard drive bundle.

Are we going into game suggestions on this? Are you looking for game suggestions?

I don't want to turn it into one of 'those' threads unwanted, but godammit, there are some games you need.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Agreed. If you're at all game savvy enough to be on this forum, you're the kind of person that needs a hard drive. Get a Pro, or the Arcade pack + 60gb hard drive bundle.

Are we going into game suggestions on this? Are you looking for game suggestions?

I don't want to turn it into one of 'those' threads unwanted, but godammit, there are some games you need.

I don't have enough money for game suggestions, i don't even have enough money for this thread yet. College has left me..obsolete. This is where I'm starting atleast, how I want to get going.

Edit: Anyway, going on amazon, i see offers like an 360 with 20g HD for something like 170, should I go for someting like that, or is 20g not big enough?

Element Brian on

Arch,
  • Options
    SpecTrE3353SpecTrE3353 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    20GB is fine if you aren't planning on downloading and keeping a ton of content. I have a 20GB and right now it is ok for all my game saves, several XBLA games, some Rock Band tracks and one game installed to the HDD at a time. If you want to be able to install any larger RPG type games to the HDD or you are planning on buying every Rock Band song or you download every XBLA game every week, you will run out of room pretty fast and you'll want a 120GB. A 120GB drive separate costs like $150 which is way overpriced so it's probably best to decide what you want early on and buy an Elite or a new 60GB premium if 20GB isn't going to cut it.

SpecTrE3353 on
    WGGBannerSwitch.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    20 gig is plenty for regular purposes (although it's technically more like 14 gig since a big chunk of that hard drive space is reserved for caching), however, keep in mind that the 360 has the optional ability to copy entire game disks to the hard drive for reduced load times & reduced sound (the disk drive can be noisy). With the 20 gig hard drive, you're only going to be able to store one game like this on the hard drive at a time.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My recommendation is to pick up an Arcade Bundle with the games they bundle in for christmas, then pick up a refurb 20GB drive.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You can get a new 60 gig with 2 games for $225 on Black Friday.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    rayofash wrote: »
    You can get a new 60 gig with 2 games for $225 on Black Friday.

Specific store?

Element Brian on

Arch,
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My recommendation is to pick up an Arcade Bundle with the games they bundle in for christmas, then pick up a refurb 20GB drive.

I will be getting the Arcade bundle at Circuit City this friday; it comes with a refurb 20 gig HD and extra wireless controller

MrDelish on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would suggest not getting a refurb or used 360. It's just not worth it if it craps out on you, plus you really don't know how old it was when it was returned, if it was on its last legs, etc etc
    Plus if it does RROD on you, you're gonna be SOL with Microsoft on getting it fixed under warranty.

Rent on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    20Gb is fine if you only want to play games. The average update and DLC won't kill that too fast, especially if you are partial to but a few games. If you can get the above mentioned 60GB, do it. If not, 20GB should be good for a guy who only has time to game a few free hours.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »

I will be getting the Arcade bundle at Circuit City this friday; it comes with a refurb 20 gig HD and extra wireless controller

SOLD

Guess that pretty much takes care of the situation.

Element Brian on

Arch,
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »

SOLD

Guess that pretty much takes care of the situation.

don't forget it's black friday, and they may not last long

MrDelish on