As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Racing Games

NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
What's going on? What's come out in the past, oh, forever that hasn't been complete garbage? Good, honest, automobile racing. Forza 2. GT5: P, kind of. NFS: Pro Street tried and was shit all over, so they went back to tight ass street racing jeah boi. I guess I'm looking forward to Race Pro.

Race Pro

I dunno. I guess I'm just whining. Anyone have any suggestions for other recent racing sims?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Natheo on

• Options
    OneWingedOtakuOneWingedOtaku Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmm, I can't think of any instant classics off hand, specially if you didn't like Forza 2.

Mind you I don't play many racing type games myself, though I enjoyed all the Burnout series, maybe try out Burnout Paradise, if you havent already?

OneWingedOtaku on
    Gamertag:
    OneWingedOtaku.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh I loved Forza 2. It was amazing. I'm looking for more like it. I played Burnout Paradise, it was a great game, but not what I'm looking for.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShaquarShaquar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There aren't really any alternatives to Forza and GT as far as "serious" racing on the consoles goes. I can recommend Project Gotham Racing 4, Grid and Dirt as really awesome racing games though.

On the PC you have a lot of options like Live for Speed and anything that Simbin does but those usually don't offer a career mode that can compare to Forza or GT. You just get a bunch of cars, a bunch of tracks and an excellent driving simulation.

There still is an active community for Grand Prix Legends if you want to be hardcore.

Shaquar on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wipeout HD is serious racing. Yeah, I just went there.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Race Driver: GRID is really quite good.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Wipeout HD is serious racing. Yeah, I just went there.

But F-Zero is more serious :P

Shaquar on
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Live for Speed.

I can't stress it enough. If you want to get as digitally close to realism as possible, this is really your best bet. You can usually tell how accurate a racing game is when you see something like a replay in motion. LFS pretty much hits physics and vehicle-characteristics dead on, down to the bending of the tire walls in high G turns. The game is unforgiving, and has a huge learning curve. Online races in particular. If you barely tap someone going 50 MPH into a turn you, and likely 4 other people, are going to become very familiar with the wall.
    It's extremely rewarding though, and there isn't anything like it. I'd recommend a nice wheel too.

I found this video. The guy that made this isn't part of the dev team, he's just really good at making these.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNKfipLHtP4&feature=related

Bearcat on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    rFactor. Everyone with a PC and a interest in racing games should play rFactor. You should then download and race this Nordschleife track over and over and over and over again, because this is what real men and women do.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I must admit to enjoying Grid but I prefer a game that's a bit more...arcadey. Mainly because (especially with my Driving Force Ex) I tend to just spin a lot otherwise :)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My only experience with the F-Zero series is F-Zero X, but it is awesome. I've watched some videos of F-Zero GX and every time I am astonished by how good it looks.

Peewi on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That Live for Speed video looks pretty fantastic!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Grid was alright. Colin McRae 4 is backwards compatible and awesome.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    GRiD is very arcadey. If you're looking for something more arcadey than that you might want to check out NFS or Mario Kart.

Forza Motorsport 2 pretty much satisfied most race fans I know for over a year, our regular group was racing every week until just a few months ago when other games started to take their toll on gametime.

Forza 3 is TBA 2009 but I'd expect it in the spring.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I really enjoyed some parts of GRiD.

The way the drifting works in that game just feels sooooo goooooood. Pretty much everything else in the game was infuriating to me, but only in the same way every sim racer (GT series, Forza, etc) does, in the driving 1200000hp cars at the speed of light in extremely technical tracks with 50,000 laps, when suddenly in the last stretch of lap 49,999 a haywire AI car decides to murder me in cold blood by running me off the road.

but yeah, other than that GRiD is a pretty slick game.

also, you could get Forza one on the cheap and enjoy some of the awesome features that didn't make it into Forza two.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PGR4 is very good. It's much closer to a racing sim than an arcade racer. The control, graphics, sound effects and track design are all very well done. It has a very wide selection of cars and motorcycles. When going through the career mode you start out racing class G vehicles eventually getting to the class A vehicles later in the game.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Can anyone recommend a good racing wheel for the PS2? I tried the one that Gamestop sells but it's got this huge dead spot in the center where you have to turn it a good three inches in either direction before the car even remotely responds. That makes driving incredibly ackward.

Valkun on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I <3 SimBin and the GTR & RACE series of games. If you like the more "sim" type of racer and you own an X360 you're going to be very happy with RACE Pro, I think.

The more accurate simulations are found on PC's right now (iRacing, GTR/RACE, rFactor, Live for Speed, ARCA SimRacing are probably the top of the heap for "current" games). iRacing is probably the most hardcore of them all right now, even above LFS I'd say. It's expensive though, as it wasn't really intended as a game but more of a training tool for actual teams and drivers.

Codemasters has also said that their upcoming F1 title (available on multiple platforms) is being developed as a sim, unlike the GRID/DIRT games that had a more arcade design.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PGR4 is a good game. I also enjoyed Burnout Paradise.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I love love love racing games. That's my favorite genre. As a 360 owner, I envy the pc guys playing LFS and the Simbin stuff. Can't wait for Race Pro.

I have and play the hell out of-

PGR3
    PGR4
    Grid
    Dirt
    Forza2
    MotoGP 07
    MotoGP 08

If you like Grid and find the steering too skittish, try setting the stm off, it's reverse for some reason in this game, it reduces understeer. With it off the handling is 10 times better. And it's a bit more sim (still arcade as all get out), with the other assists off too. Makes it more fun IMO. I love Grid for the Race Day aspect, I do full seasons of ton of laps of the 2006 LMS series, keeping points on spreadsheets for all the classes and all. Yeah, super nerd.

MotoGP 08 is getting blasted in reviews due to the limited options and weak online play. But Milestone really hit a home run with the handling and on board view. Best on board view since Tourist Trophy. And the handling is much better than Climax's last two releases. I find it to be a great sim. Very enjoyable single player career, start with 125s and 250ccs before the MotoGP class.

I was a race replica painter addict in Forza 2 for a good year. Did plenty of ALMS/LMS/Super GT cars. First thing I did was put in some of my favorites from Gran Turismo.
    Here's my gallery if anyone's interested.

http://www.forzacentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22956

The thing that's a huge selling point for me with racing games, aside from the physics, is a great in car view. I turn off all the HUD stuff with it too, just makes it a much more immersive experience. That's what was missing in Forza 2, hopefully fm3 will have it. No excuse to not have it at this point, almost all the competition does.
    GT5:P's in car models are great, Codemasters' are fantastic, PGR3 nailed it, and Race Pro is looking impressive as well.

And hopefully fm3 will put back in all the tracks they took out of 2.

2009 might be a great year for racing games. FM3, Race Pro, Dirt 2, and maybe PGR5.
    GT5 will most likely be 2010. Whenever it comes out is when I'll get a ps3.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Valkun wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good racing wheel for the PS2? I tried the one that Gamestop sells but it's got this huge dead spot in the center where you have to turn it a good three inches in either direction before the car even remotely responds. That makes driving incredibly ackward.
    The Logitech wheel is leagues ahead any other racing wheel, with a 900 degree turn cycle, it's probably the best one out there.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    New vids of Race Pro are really looking good. You can tell their adding the polish now to the graphics.

If anyone's interested, the DLC for Grid is out now.

‘8 Ball’ DLC Pack Cars

· McLaren F1 GTR – The McLaren F1 GTR wrote itself into the history books as the only GT car to ever win Le Mans and is considered one of the finest examples of automotive engineering in history.

· TVR Cerbera Speed 12 – The TVR 12 smashes past 60 MPH in just under 3 seconds. Production models were planned, but they were considered too powerful to sell to the general public.

· Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X – For over a decade the Evo has been billed as a supercar slayer – now the Evo-X in GRID lets you unleash its sledgehammer aggression in the Pro-Tuned class.

· Honda S2000 – This roadster is heavily modified for drifting and has become a cult-favourite thanks to its award winning engine.

· Nissan GT-R [S-G2008] – The production model was Top Gear’s Supercar of the Year 2007. Now one of the world’s hottest cars makes its debut in Race Driver: GRID in its fully tuned racing spec.

· VW Nardo – This powerful concept car made real from VW uses its 600BHP engine to rocket to 60MPH in 3.1 seconds.

· Pontiac Firebird Trans AM – The 1971 racing edition of this true American legend is a worthy addition to GRID’s exclusive group of muscle cars.

· Volvo C30 – Adding to Race Driver: GRID’s touring car roster comes the C30, Volvo’s agile, cutting edge hot-hatch straight from the STCC grid.

All eight cars will be available to drive in the game’s ‘Race Day’ mode and online races. In addition to the cars, the pack will make two new multiplayer events available, set on existing circuits from across Race Driver: GRID's three continents and to test drivers to their very limit online. On Xbox 360, the pack will also feature four new Achievements worth a total of 100 points to earn from four new competitive challenges:

· Jack Of All Trades – Win an online race in each of the 8 Ball pack cars – 25pts.
    · Drift Master - Achieve a 99x combo in the Honda S2000 – 25pts.
    · Gas Guzzler - Clock up over 250 miles in your favourite 8 Ball pack car– 25pts.
    · Clean Passing - Win a clean race in an 8 Ball Pack car from last position – 25pts.

Further content is expected to be released for the game, including a V8 Supercars featuring Ford and Holden cars and the Bathurst circuit, later this year.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Logitech wheel is leagues ahead any other racing wheel, with a 900 degree turn cycle, it's probably the best one out there.

http://www.thomas-superwheel.com/tswsite/

;)

xzzy on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love Forza 2 so much and I've really never enjoyed other racing games too much. I forced my way through old GT games for the career mode but never really liked the racing, Forza just nails the sweet spot between accessability and depth for me.

In-car view would have been much appreciated though, I agree.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Milky28Milky28 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Race Pro is probably the best upcoming console title in the near term. If Simbin doesn't dumb it down too much it looks to be a nice version of GTR Evolution, which is a good thing. As others have noted, the PC is king right now for racing games (sims at least), with several great titles and a huge mod community. iRacing in particular easily has the best online racing, tracks, physics, and force-feedback I have seen yet. They laser scan each track to get millimeter precision of every crack, bump, etc. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H33RUflkvVU

It is expensive, but very worth it to me. You will probably see the occasional professional driver in races as well, Dale Jr. being a regular.

If you want a cheaper option, the GTR/Race series, Live For Speed, Richard Burns Rally, Grand Prix Legends, etc. are all great fun and rFactor has some amazing mods available. All that being said, I can't wait for the next Forza and GT on the consoles as they always scratch a specific itch.

Milky28 on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Milky28 XBL: Milky28
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Race Pro on the 360 is excellent news. My gaming PC is broken and I need my racing sim fix.
    xzzy wrote: »

;)

Man if I had the money I wouldn't think twice before building a completely bitching setup just for pretend car racing.

Shaquar on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I look up the info known on Forza 3. Apparently 2 discs, 100 tracks, new races like drag (yay), drift (meh) and point-to-point...

Count me in.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    sackofjoysackofjoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Richard Burns Rally for PC. Make sure you have a wheel.

sackofjoy on
    [ Steam: sackofjoy ] [ Xbox: sackofjoy ]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Shaquar wrote: »
    Race Pro on the 360 is excellent news. My gaming PC is broken and I need my racing sim fix.

;)

Man if I had the money I wouldn't think twice before building a completely bitching setup just for pretend car racing.
    It's one of those things I'm going to do "someday". I want to totally geek out on it and make the whole hydraulic cockpit thing.

The justification will be I can spend a lot of money on a sim, or I can spend a lot of money on a sports car and risk killing myself.

xzzy on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Milky28 wrote: »
    Race Pro is probably the best upcoming console title in the near term. If Simbin doesn't dumb it down too much it looks to be a nice version of GTR Evolution, which is a good thing. As others have noted, the PC is king right now for racing games (sims at least), with several great titles and a huge mod community. iRacing in particular easily has the best online racing, tracks, physics, and force-feedback I have seen yet. They laser scan each track to get millimeter precision of every crack, bump, etc. Check this out:

Yes.

A lot of the iRacing team is former Papyrus Design Group staff. PDG was basically to racing sims what Nintendo was to platformers.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »

Yes.

A lot of the iRacing team is former Papyrus Design Group staff. PDG was basically to racing sims what Nintendo was to platformers.

I played the Papyrus NASCAR games and I played them seriously. Everybody I tell this looks at me like o_O but an online 190-lap race against 20 other people on Daytona Speedway is the most exhilerating thing I ever did on a Computer. It sounds boring but every single turn you take is a challange, no matter if you are alone catching up/leading, or in the middle of a pack with cars on your every side.

Add pit stop strategy, drafting, brutal crashes and a community of mature people to that and you get a really awesome game.

I need to get my Computer fixed and a new racing wheel.

Shaquar on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yes.

I played the Papyrus NASCAR games and I played them seriously. Everybody I tell this looks at me like o_O but an online 190-lap race against 20 other people on Daytona Speedway is the most exhilerating thing I ever did on a Computer. It sounds boring but every single turn you take is a challange, no matter if you are alone catching up/leading, or in the middle of a pack with cars on your every side.

Add pit stop strategy, drafting, brutal crashes and a community of mature people to that and you get a really awesome game.

Papyrus made NASCAR 2003 Season right? The one that like actual drivers use to practice?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    <.<

banjo kazooie: nuts and bolts.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    [...]
    Papyrus made NASCAR 2003 Season right? The one that like actual drivers use to practice?

True.

Shaquar on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Not exactly a 'sim', but Burnout Paradise is pretty damn good.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Yes.

That is correct.

They've taken it to the next level with iRacing. I mean, they don't market it as a game. They're marketing it as a serious simulation for testing/training purposes.

From their own FAQ:

Is this a game?

No, iRacing.com is not a video game. It is a subscription-based simulation service for real-world racers and racing enthusiasts, as well as a platform for a new branch of global motorsport - known as internet racing - which is the sport of real-time, online racing.

Also, I understand what Shaquar is saying re: the online racing. I spent a number of years in leagues online with N3 through N2002 and while I don't miss the weekly practice grind, I do miss the competition. Those were good times.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm gonna suggest BMW M3 challenge because it's free and good. Only one car/track, but definitely worth a bit of any racing fan's time.
    http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/mseries/m3coupe/2007/experience/game/content.html

And if you have two video cards in your machine (or one video card and a mobo with onboard video like me) you can run it on three screens easily with softTH
    http://www.furytech.net/softth/softth.php
    http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/

I'm running it right now with a MOMO Force wheel, triple screens (had 2 old CRTs in the closet) and a Buttkicker hooked up to my chair. Fun times 8-)

SoftTH also works with pretty much all the other PC racing sims as well - rfactor, iracing, Test Drive Unlimited, GTR series, etc.

For example:

Although my all time favorite racing game is still NFS Underground 2. So much to do and so many types of races without feeling as dumbed down as Most Wanted or Carbon.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I continue to be amazed by the quality of rFactor mods that come out. If you like a lot of different types of racing, rFactor is the best value for your money right now on the PC.

Case in point: Just released a few days ago, the 2008 Indycar Series for rFactor, which I do believe I shall be downloading tonight.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm not sure how fast one could get an 'image blocked' to go around the track.. but have fun with it.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thanks guys!

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm not sure how fast one could get an 'image blocked' to go around the track.. but have fun with it.

Good point! It worked so well, cached in my browser. :lol:

citizen059 on