As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gaming Mouse - but which?

EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
After asking my father if he fancied anything specific for Christmas, he replied that he'd love a new mouse. However I haven't really got any idea of any decent gaming mice which are around lately so I thought you lovely folks could give me some pointers and opinions!

The only rough criteria are that it's a contoured shape (such as my MX510), not too 'flat' in your hand and preferably corded. I've always been a fan of Logitech myself, but I've heard good things about the Razer mice as well.

I'm not certain what mouse he has currently off the top of my head, but I can find out if needs be. Thanks in advance!

Edilith on

• Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I replaced my Razer Copperhead with a Microsoft Sidewinder, and I absolutely love it. The copperhead felt too light and cheap, and it had tons of little annoyances, like having to unplug/replug it after a hard reboot or having the Razer software constantly reset itself and drop the settings. I've had nothing but problems with Razer products in general.

The Sidewinder comes with weights you can swap out to get the feel exactly how you want it, and it has different pads to change how it slides on your desk/mat. The case for the weights and pads can also be used as a cord anchor. It has buttons you can press to change DPI on the fly, with a small, honestly not really worth it but cool anyway, LCD screen that shows you the current DPI setting. The tactile response of the scroll wheel and the thumb bottons is better than any other mouse I've used.

It's really expensive, but if you can afford it, buy it.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Glaeal wrote: »
    The copperhead felt too light and cheap, and it had tons of little annoyances, like having to unplug/replug it after a hard reboot.

I'm just curious, but why is that?

Rook on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    Glaeal wrote: »
    The copperhead felt too light and cheap, and it had tons of little annoyances, like having to unplug/replug it after a hard reboot.

I'm just curious, but why is that?

The uplug/replug? I don't know enough about it to know exactly what was causing it, but the computer wouldn't recognize the mouse on reboot. I've had two copperheads and had the same problem with both on two different PCs.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I've been using a Logitech MX510 for like six years now. It's been a long time since I did any twitch gaming on a computer but it's just such an incredibly comfortable pointing device that I can't imagine using anything else.

I strongly recommend that you base your decision on comfort. It will play far, far more important a role in your accuracy and speed than theoretical benchmarks regarding DPI and speed. Any gaming mouse basically will meet the minimum standard for those to become irrelevant.

EDIT:
    If this is for another person (as it is, sorry I missed that part of your OP), consider how large their hand is in relation to yours. If it's roughly the same, then use yourself as a judge. If there's a significant difference, find someone taller/shorter than you too assist you (hand size tends to correlate in a general sense to height, as does foot size).

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Mx Revolution is like getting laid but in a wireless mouse form.

It's not strictly gaming but I've never had any problems with it gaming.

Blake T on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've been using an MX518 for a long time now, and really like it. They're pretty popular and I haven't heard anyone complain about them yet.

But if I was buying a new mouse I would probably try the revolution. Couldn't really go wrong with either, imo. <3 Logitech.

edit: Here's an old thread you might find useful.

exis on
  • Options
    turpentyineturpentyine Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What about Logitech G7?

turpentyine on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've been using my Logitech G5 for about a year, and I really like it. It's contoured, but not so much that you have to hold it a certain way. The only problem I've had with it is that the cord is woven nylon, and the edge of my desk is sharp, so after a while the cord started to fray from the abrasion.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have a Logitech G3 Laser mouse. There are higher-end models, but this one works perfectly for my needs.

Laser mice, as opposed to first-generation optical mice, don't have a visible light, and can track on practically any surface. I've had mine track reliably while using the mouse on my thigh, while wearing jeans. It tracks on shiny surfaces (though I've never tried it on a mirror...) and is very precise.

I've had Logitech mice for years, and haven't had any problems worth mentioning.

One more thing: my G3 has two extra buttons on either side, right where my thum and ring fingers go, which are automatically mapped to the back and forward buttons in both IE and Firefox. I've gotten so used to that, that I find I miss them whenever I surf the web on another computer...

EDIT: also, my G3 is symmetrical, so it will fit both righties and lefties. I've never had any comfort problems, but your mileage may vary, if your dad needs a contoured mouse.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I picked up an MX518 a couple years ago - never had cause to complain. I like the weight, the shape fits my hand, and otherwise it's a pretty decent mouse.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Another vote for the MX518, great mouse and used it for years.
    The revolution will most likely be by next mouse purchase, I'm not sure if it is for everyone though, I've seen a few and the contours for the hand are pretty extreme

Dixon on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anything from the Logitech MX series is probably more suited to a father (who I'm assuming is older than 21) than a more... XXXtreme gaming mouse with l.e.d's all over the place.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    bent wrote: »
    Anything from the Logitech MX series is probably more suited to a father (who I'm assuming is older than 21) than a more... XXXtreme gaming mouse with l.e.d's all over the place.

Because as we all know, LEDs make you shoot with precision.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    set your mouse to tokyo drift mode!

but seriously, I'm using an MX1000 and it serves me very well for photoshop work and playing games

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was pretty much leaning towards trusty Logitech but just wanted to hear some opinions. I also agree with you Pheezer about comfort, but since I am both far away from any decent computing stores and the owner of girly-hands I'm limited to buying online.

Thanks very much guys!

Edilith on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Logitech G9.
    Expensive, but man its great. If they still made the MX1000 I'd say that, but they don't, which is a damn shame.

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    rfalias wrote: »
    Logitech G9.
    Expensive, but man its great. If they still made the MX1000 I'd say that, but they don't, which is a damn shame.

You can still buy it though, loads of stores still have a bunch of them.

bent on
    sig1.png