As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Re: recommend me a camera

Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I bought a Canon SD1000 about a year and a half ago. Really simple little point and shoot, cost me about $210 then, and I think it's about $150-200 now. It takes amazing pictures for how much I paid for it, and has showed no signs of slowing even after taking thousands of shots (unlike my kodak easyshare, which broke after like, 6 months):

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=14901

If anyone has any suggestions for a reliable and relatively inexpensive digital camera, I want to buy one for my mom for Christmas. My brother and his wife just had their first baby and she wants to take lots of photos of the kid and be excited about her cuteness without paying $4850398246 to have filmed developed. I don't want it to be shitty or anything of course, but I can't really afford any more than like $200 total. She needs something really simple as she's not really much into technology. I was thinking of just getting her the sd1000 but if there is a less expensive model that is still pretty decent I'd love to know about it. The sd1000 has a lot of features I love, but that I know she won't ever use (manual mode, etc).

Dulcius_ex_asperis on

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    THERE IS AN ACTIVE DAMNED ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THIS SORT OF THING. GEEZ.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Do you care if it's new or used? You can pick up any used Canon A-series camera (literally, any one) and it will work wonderfully. She most definitely won't need more than 4MP unless she intends to do prints larger than 8"x10".

If you want to buy new, you can get a Canon A590 IS for $110. It's arguably a superior camera to the SD1000 if size isn't an issue and will serve her well.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg