As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

my USB 2.0 freezes computer?

BarcardiBarcardi All the WizardsUnder A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, I have a whole bunch of USB 2.0 ports all over my computer as well as some firewire ones. The firewire is what I use for my iPod and it works fine.

I have a digital camera and I can hook it up to the USB ports and it works fine, it uploads pictures super fast.

But when I insert my gig USB 2.0 storage device into the USB 2.0 port (any of them) the computer completely freezes 5 seconds later. I cannot controlaltdel, I can remove the USB device and it still is frozen. Only a hard restart (back to the ages of windows 98) will let me do anything. I tried the iPod with the USB ports and that froze it as well.

I checked my mobo drivers and they are completely updated. It is totally bizarre that my camera will work but anything else will freeze the computer. What gives?

My mobo is an IC7-G, in perfect working order. The USB card is a Memorex traveldrive and it works fine at work and at school. So what gives? Any help is appreciated.

Barcardi on

• Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Does this happen on only one specific USB port or on all of them?

Is this "USB 2.0 storage device" a portable hard drive or one of those flash drives? I'm guessing flash drive since you mentioned Memorex Traveldrive.

When you say "anything else will freeze the computer" is it really "anything else" or just this flash drive?

It's possible that you could have bad USB ports or underpowered USB ports. Flash drives I imagine use equivilant power to a camera being hooked up, maybe a little more. Portable hard drives on the other hand are another story. If your power supply isn't up to task, it could be that.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sorry, yes it is a flashdrive. I have tried 2 seperate flashdrives, my ipod, and a sandisk mobilemate(a converter for a photo card), and all 4 froze it. It does this on all USB slots. The only exception it directly hooking my camera up to it, which just makes the issue all the more strange.

I doubt it is my power supply. But i do think it has something to do with a file called ren_apix.bat, it is a file that gets modified when you add a cd/dvd burning software (https://www.customernation.com/pls/ps/ps.ps_main?p_host=304&p_supplier=5096&p_parm=PSHPP)

But I have no idea how to change it back to preinstallation of a cd burner that i never owned, i used Nero and i am guessing it did the same thing. So how do i try to change that file back to what windows wants it to be?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That link just showed a page of various products. I'm assuming it didn't work as you intended it to. However, I'm starting to get the idea that you have one of those "U3 smart drive" flash drives.

You may be able to find the U3 stuff in Add/Remove programs. If not, go here: http://www.u3.com/uninstall/

Also, in the future, you may want to hold down the shift key when you plug this thing into your computer and others. It's not a good idea to autorun stuff like that on computers that aren't yours. I think the people who came up with U3 need to be sued to hell by like evey corporation that has hosed computers because of their crap.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    st0ned messiahst0ned messiah Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you start up with those things plugged in does it freeze on loading?

If so then when starting in Safe Mode with those plugged in does it freeze around "mup.sys"?

I had a problem that was very similar to this on my old computer. Never was able to figure out what was causing it. Does USB 1.1 work (might explain the camera)?

st0ned messiah on
    NDVD_006.jpgNDVD_007.jpgNDVD_008.jpg