As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOHAWK

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
So I know someone very interested in accomplishing this - in reality it was just done and now they're wondering what the best way to get it nice and straight and sticking up is.

I've heard of all sorts of "home solutions" like egg whites, toothpaste, white glue, etc.

I dont think they are too keen on putting all sorts of unnaturals in their hair, (which is about 5 inches long or so)...

Any recommendations on acheiving a good mohawk? It'll be in more of the fan style, not liberty spikes or anything like that. Their hair sort of has a natural bend and wave to it from what it was like pre-cut, we were thinking of using a straightener to help get those out?

Any other tips?

Deusfaux on

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    white glue's going to be your best bet but other than that, go with hair glue

Raneados on
  • Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I would use a straightener and my friend used to use 2 glue sticks to get his mohawk up...or go to a stylist and see what they have in their arsenal of hair goodies. There's also hardcore hair paste (like the stuff that comes in solid form and you have to add water) or stuff called Bee's Wax.

Re: nholder on
  • Options
    trixtahtrixtah Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    you can try mixing elmers with some good holding gel, that's what worked for me. I used to have a 6 or 7 inch Mohawk that held with that

trixtah on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Is it a full on bald-scalp mowie, or just like a fashion faux-hawk blended into a shorter haircut? I (somewhat ashamedly) had the latter and I could fan it out with sunscreen and a hair-drier, just using a brush to straighten it out as it dried. I'm not sure how I discovered that sunsreen worked. I guess it was a hot time of the year.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    lowest settting guard on a shaver short; not a fauxhawk

its about.... 2 inches wide the whole way back too?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    minor threatminor threat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    back in my 'hawk days, i had lots of luck with elmer's washable school glue. it was a blue gel that was really easy to work in and washed out really nicely.

minor threat on
  • Options
    RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I had a 10-inch mohawk that I held up with hair glue (the brand was Got-2-B-Glued if you're interested). It held for days at a time unless I washed it. Took a little effort, but it washed out clean. Just a thought.

RavynBlackheart on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I used to use gelatin, you don't get more natural than boiled bone matter. Just use less water than the box suggests, the less water, the harder it gets. Shit is rock solid with a rich mix, but a hot shower will loosen it back up and wash out clean.

Gelatin will also take out whatever wave action you're talking about and shape it however the fuck you want.

Tips? Not much to it really. Mix gelatin packet in 1/2 a cup of hot water, schmooge on hair, sit upside down with a blowdryer for 15 minutes. To get it really flat, some people iron it. So that's my tip: maybe iron.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Elmer's and a straightening iron will get it up everytime and give you a nice easy fan. If you need, get some hardcore hairspray to just help it get started and give you a base to work with, but I only needed that once it got longer.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    I used to use gelatin, you don't get more natural than boiled bone matter. Just use less water than the box suggests, the less water, the harder it gets. Shit is rock solid with a rich mix, but a hot shower will loosen it back up and wash out clean.

Gelatin will also take out whatever wave action you're talking about and shape it however the fuck you want.

Tips? Not much to it really. Mix gelatin packet in 1/2 a cup of hot water, schmooge on hair, sit upside down with a blowdryer for 15 minutes. To get it really flat, some people iron it. So that's my tip: maybe iron.

This is pretty much the best advice you could possibly follow on the matter.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    Geletin works great, and looks good.

Elmer's glue can harden in white clumps in spots and make your hair look like someone jerked off in it, and egg whites can start to smell

wood glue is another good looking choice, but a bit more permanent. you put it up with wood glue and it won't come back down without shears

Knob on
  • Options
    randombluespotrandombluespot Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm with Knob on this one.

randombluespot on
    [SIGPIC]840516.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RMH03RMH03 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I allways used soap, just lather it up a bit and wack it in the hair, if his hair is curly he may need straightiners, but geletin sould do the trick much better than anything else.

RMH03 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    do they just sleep on the sides of their face then? how often should it be taken out and washed thoroughly? is that just more work to do ..? I guess they could take showers and just avoid the water on their head if they dont want to have to redo it all?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Deusfaux wrote:
    do they just sleep on the sides of their face then? how often should it be taken out and washed thoroughly? is that just more work to do ..? I guess they could take showers and just avoid the water on their head if they dont want to have to redo it all?

Real punks cant afford to sleep lying down.

No seriously, you sleep however you want and fix your hair in the morning. It wont be comfortable to sleep any way other than on your side though, most likely.

And you dont need to wash your hair that often. You can wash the bald sides by hand, if you want, and you can wash the rest of your body, but you'll be fine not washing the strip on your head for like, 2-6 weeks at a time. It will get itchy though, and most likely the mohawk will start to fall down anyway, from new hair growing in.

I miss the days when i could have retarded hair. Damn responsibilities.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    polarbluepolarblue Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Murray's pomade works really good for making your hair stand up stiff after a while your hair might start to droop a bit, but all you have to do is just run your hands over your hair and reshape it

containers look like these http://www.murrayspomade.com/original.html

stuff also takes a few days to wash out, but i prefer it because it takes like 1 minute to spike up my hair.

polarblue on
    lost.jpg
  • Options
    KatoKato Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I had a hawk for 4 years of my life...I do miss my hawk as well. It went anywhere from 3 inches to 10 or 12 depending on when I had it cut. Various colors all the time.

Don't use glue or egg whites or anything crazy like that. If you insist that hair spray won't work (which it will....) then use gelatin like described before. I used it a few times and it does work...but I honestly don't think you need it.

Rave #4 in a spritz bottle is all you need. Take that, get your blow dryer and you are set. You can get it all the way up all the way back and fan it out and you just need hair spray, lots of it.

The only problem you may have is the wavy hair. My hair curls at the tips, so for the first few weeks, I would get my hawk up and then the tips would curl over a bit. Really though, work with it and get it really hot with the blow dryer and before you know it, your waves and curls will be gone. It doesn't take long and I hope that they shaved their hair into a hawk because they want to keep it...not because it was a fad or a joke/prank or dare or some stupid shit...

Kato on
    Signature??
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just make sure you use Nox (or however you spell it) gelatin and not jello or something. =p Nox gelatin is flavorless, colorless and odorless as it is used for baking. You find it in the baking aisle.

Got 2 be glued is also a good suggestion. A hairdryer and that stuff works relatively well.

shadowane on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    "Knox"

B00032CGD4.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    is it best accomplished then after a dry spell? or right after a shower and its been wet?

do you use the blowdryer on already dry hair? what does it do

and thanx for everything already- informative

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The blow dryer makes it harden faster, that's all. The hair should be just a little damp really just because it is easier to move around that way.

shadowane on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    shadowane wrote:
    The blow dryer makes it harden faster, that's all. The hair should be just a little damp really just because it is easier to move around that way.
    Not particularly wet though, or it'll be too heavy and take too long to dry and you'll probably get impatient and do a shitty job.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I had a friend with big spikey hair at university, and she would either do it every morning, or sleep with one of those Japanese- style pillows that just supports your neck.

Gelatin sounds like a good idea, although I know that if you can afford it there are good products you can get from salons - I used something years ago that I would recommend in a second if I could remember the name and knew it was still made.

Definitely stay far away from eggs. I tried using them just as a conditioner way back in high school, and the smell was fowl^H^H^H^Hfoul.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/