As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Black Mesa full trailer

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    You're right, no other mods have ever been sold on Steam.

As for the team declining the offer (if an offer were made and I'm still looking for a story or confirmation from someone on here who knows more), the reason I read was that they just want it to be free.

Uhhhhhhh....You do realize a mod being sold on Steam and a mod using Valve's very own IP being sold on Steam are completely different things, right?

What, if only Valve could find some way to negotiate who gets money out of this?

Go on, tell me what I'm doing wrong Internet IP Expert.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Lasbrook wrote: »

Basically Black Mesa has had alot more work put into it to be more than just HL1.5

It's Half Life 1 point fucking awesome is what it is.
    Exactly. Soooooo excited. I need new superlatives to accurately describe my level of anticipation. :D

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The presentation of this game is phenomenal. This little group of programmers is creating more hype than most big-name companies, and how is that even surprising? It's Half-Life.

What saddens me just the tiniest bit is that I consider Opposing Force and Blue Shift necessary parts in the canon - they are to Half-Life what Episodes 1-3 are to Half-Life 2. Yet I know that they most likely won't be represented in this remake.

I don't know how I ever got this far without ever having heard of Someplace Else and MINERVA, though. I just downloaded them, so in a couple of hours I'll be fully immersed.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

As for the team declining the offer (if an offer were made and I'm still looking for a story or confirmation from someone on here who knows more), the reason I read was that they just want it to be free.

Uhhhhhhh....You do realize a mod being sold on Steam and a mod using Valve's very own IP being sold on Steam are completely different things, right?

What, if only Valve could find some way to negotiate who gets money out of this?

I um...I never said anything about Valve negotiating money.

Your claim was "Hey there's other mods on Steam so this could be, too!" I was simply pointing out the fact that legally, a third-party mod that didn't use Valve's own IP was wholly different from a third-party mod that did use Valve's own IP.

But hey, keep on being high and mighty!

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    looks decent enough. I guess the modders are trying to make a name for themselves as they have been working on this for just about forever.

The weapon sounds are really bad though

The presentation of this game is phenomenal. This little group of programmers is creating more hype than most big-name companies, and how is that even surprising? It's Half-Life.

What saddens me just the tiniest bit is that I consider Opposing Force and Blue Shift necessary parts in the canon - they are to Half-Life what Episodes 1-3 are to Half-Life 2. Yet I know that they most likely won't be represented in this remake.

They never were official canon. The "expansions" were made by different companies and also introduced a completely random race of aliens for no good reason. Wouldn't make sense to put that in this mod

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I will play this game when it is released, anticipating it as eagerly as a AAA commercial title. And then I shall weep with jealousy as several members of the team are hired by valve.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This looks.... excellent.

Hitting headcrabs with the crowbar is still hilarious to watch.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I um...I never said anything about Valve negotiating money.

Your claim was "Hey there's other mods on Steam so this could be, too!" I was simply pointing out the fact that legally, a third-party mod that didn't use Valve's own IP was wholly different from a third-party mod that did use Valve's own IP.

But hey, keep on being high and mighty!

I'm not being high and mighty! I've stated numerous times that this is a rumour I have heard, I won't try to claim it as fact unless I can find actual evidence of this (which I am trying to find, but can't yet). I responded in that manner because you came over as patronising, and that pisses me right off. There is clear evidence that Valve are happy to offer the developers of good-quality mods the opportunity to sell them on Steam and divide the profits from this. Yes it would be a slightly different situation with the mod actually being based on Valve's own IP, but I fail to see how this is some insurmountable stretch.
    With that said, unless I do uncover something more substantial, I'm dropping this here.

Can't wait to watch this trailer when I get home, though.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    looks decent enough. I guess the modders are trying to make a name for themselves as they have been working on this for just about forever.

They never were official canon. The "expansions" were made by different companies and also introduced a completely random race of aliens for no good reason. Wouldn't make sense to put that in this mod

I'm pretty certain Gabe Newell said that they were interested in re-visiting the Adrian Shephard character someday, that's about as close to canon as I can find.

This link is vague on the subject
    http://www.halflife2.net/wiki/index.php/Canon

All in all, I wouln't say that they aren't officially canon, at least not yet.

subedii on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    subedii wrote: »

I'm pretty certain Gabe Newell said that they were interested in re-visiting the Adrian Shephard character someday, that's about as close to canon as I can find.

I'm pretty sure I read that they officially aren't canon somewhere, though I'll be damned if I remember where. I still need to finish HL1 and Blue Shift and Opposing Forces. Also, the trailer makes me want to reinstall SMOD and play back through HL2 (which is a good thing).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    thejazzman wrote: »
    I will play this game when it is released, anticipating it as eagerly as a AAA commercial title. And then I shall weep with jealousy as several members of the team are hired by valve.

If Valve snaps up the team after Black Mesa's released, wouldn't that be a good thing? I mean, they've got talent, and they would then have funding and a big support chain to keep putting out good stuff.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I remember this specifically. Also:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Some had thought that Shephard might be the protagonist for Valve's game, Portal due to the main weapon, the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device (ASHPD), bearing the initials A.S.H.P.D. - Adrian Shephard. However, Gabe Newell remarked that this was a 'total freak coincidence' and that Shephard would not appear in the game.[3]

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    korodullin wrote: »

If Valve snaps up the team after Black Mesa's released, wouldn't that be a good thing? I mean, they've got talent, and they would then have funding and a big support chain to keep putting out good stuff.

I don't think he was saying it was a bad thing, he's saying he would be jealous. I guess he wants to be hired by Valve too?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Darmak wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I read that they officially aren't canon somewhere, though I'll be damned if I remember where. I still need to finish HL1 and Blue Shift and Opposing Forces. Also, the trailer makes me want to reinstall SMOD and play back through HL2 (which is a good thing).

Man I was working my way through Opposing Force recently but it seems to get constantly crash now at one specific point,
    just as you're opening the door to the chamber that Gordon Freeman's jumping through a portal to Xen.

Worked fine when I played the non-steam version years ago, of course, that was a different PC too. I was looking forward to getting told off for trying to create a paradox. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Man I was working my way through Opposing Force recently but it seems to get constantly crash now at one specific point,
    just as you're opening the door to the chamber that Gordon Freeman's jumping through a portal to Xen.

Worked fine when I played the non-steam version years ago, of course, that was a different PC too. I was looking forward to getting told off for trying to create a paradox. :lol:

That's actually a known bug and Valve is currently working on fixing it.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Fuck me sideways!! This trailer was 50 times better than what I expected and I expected alot. Everything from props to animations are looking stunning - and that desert skybox, you know which I'm talking about, was especially awesome!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Valve has also specifically requested the final beta build before release so they can review it.

Take that as you will.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

That's actually a known bug and Valve is currently working on fixing it.

That's good to know, hopefully it won't take too long. I thought it was just me getting that.

It was funny logging into OpFor for the first time in years and seeing an ad for Left 4 Dead whilst it was syncing.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Shurakai wrote: »
    Valve has also specifically requested the final beta build before release so they can review it.

Take that as you will.

"That's right, WE'RE gonna play it first, Neener Neener Neener!"

subedii on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Take that as you will.

Yeah, I wouldn't look at it as more than that. I just couldn't see Valve putting a cease and desist on these guys. If anything it'll sell MORE copies of HL2 just so people can play it.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fiziks wrote: »

Take that as you will.

Yeah, I wouldn't look at it as more than that. I just couldn't see Valve putting a cease and desist on these guys. If anything it'll sell MORE copies of HL2 just so people can play it.

I think back when they actually issued that request (around the same time they told them to drop the Source moniker) it was for the purposes of quality control.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Wait, why would they not be canon? There's nothing contradictory in either of them, and they were both directly commissioned and overseen by Valve. It's not like Sierra went behind their backs and sold out their IP.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Duck'n'CoverDuck'n'Cover Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ...that was just incredible. I know it was going to be good but, damn.

You know, it's funny. All those years ago I picked up the original Half Life for I dunno, about £15 and when BM:S finally comes out, I can easily see myself donating £15 to those guys just as a little token thank you for being so awesome.

If I’m honest, I’d feel somewhat guilty for playing it for free, anyway.

Duck'n'Cover on
    demomansig.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »

Wait, why would they not be canon? There's nothing contradictory in either of them, and they were both directly commissioned and overseen by Valve. It's not like Sierra went behind their backs and sold out their IP.

If I remember right, there were one or two other expansions that were by a different company and aren't canon, one had two doctor chicks using the #s 1 and 3 hazard suits that are missing at the start of HL1. I never played it, but after reading about it, I'd love seeing those docs/additional suits showing up in HL2 somewhere.

Scooter on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    korodullin wrote: »

I don't think he was saying it was a bad thing, he's saying he would be jealous. I guess he wants to be hired by Valve too?

A: The team consists of around 90 different people, as well as half the incidental textures being made as part of community contests on the BMS forums.

B: A lot of the people who are doing the hard coding and bulk texture works already have jobs for rival developers or businesses. These aren't out of work high schoolers, most are professional artists and coders with wives and children and stuff.

C: Why would Valve snap them all up? At best they are decent at texture work and modelling. They have no depth of level design, writing or artistic direction because the game is supposed to be a like for like recreation of a 10 year old game. Other than minor cosmetic changes the game is a facelift, not an homage.

I mean not to take away from their achievement, but this isn't like, say, Splashdamage making Quake Wars or the Counter Strike team.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    [QUOTE=Scooter;8039652If I remember right, there were one or two other expansions that were by a different company and aren't canon, one had two doctor chicks using the #s 1 and 3 hazard suits that are missing at the start of HL1. I never played it, but after reading about it, I'd love seeing those docs/additional suits showing up in HL2 somewhere.[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life:_Decay
    As is the case with the other games in the Half-Life series, Decay is a first-person shooter. Like the original title it is based on, Decay requires players to engage in combat with hostile non-player characters and complete various puzzle solving tasks to advance through the game. However, Decay differs from Half-Life and its first two expansion packs, Opposing Force and Blue Shift, in that it is designed for cooperative multiplayer gameplay. This requires players to work together to progress through the game's levels and complete puzzles as they arise in-game. Although intended to be played by two people in split screen mode, Decay can still be played by a single player.[3] In this case, the player can only control one character at a time, and can switch between the two characters quickly. When not in use, a character has sufficient artificial intelligence to defend themselves, but otherwise does not move from where they have been left by the player.[4]

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

If I remember right, there were one or two other expansions that were by a different company and aren't canon, one had two doctor chicks using the #s 1 and 3 hazard suits that are missing at the start of HL1. I never played it, but after reading about it, I'd love seeing those docs/additional suits showing up in HL2 somewhere.

That would be Half-Life: Decay. It was a co-op exclusive for the PS2 release. It got modded in, so if you're really interested you can grab it here:

http://decay.half-lifecreations.com/

I don't believe anyone's said that's not canonical either.

EDIT: Well MY post has a link to the mod, so THERE!

subedii on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

That would be Half-Life: Decay, the third of the "expansions" to the original half-life, and PS2 exclusive. You're correct that it wasn't done by Valve, but by Gearbox - same folks who did Opposing Force and Blue Shift, if I'm not mistaken. Hence why they might not be considered "canon" - none of them were done by Valve themselves.

And holy crap, I totally missed that the mod which brought Decay to PC is finally out.

Edit: Beat'd hard. On all points.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The official word on Blue Shift and Opposing Force is, essentially, "they are canonical insofar as they don't interfere with the story of the Valve-made games".

Basically, BS and OP happened, except where they didn't. Whenever it's eventually decided to pull ideas from them, or deny ideas from them, if that ever is decided, then their status as part of the story will change.

Mars on
  • Options
    MEGA MEGA PANZER POPE SANMEGA MEGA PANZER POPE SAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mars wrote: »
    The official word on Blue Shift and Opposing Force is, essentially, "they are canonical insofar as they don't interfere with the story of the Valve-made games".

Basically, BS and OP happened, except where they didn't. Whenever it's eventually decided to pull ideas from them, or deny ideas from them, if that ever is decided, then their status as part of the story will change.

And this is just fine, because very little if any of the stories will end up interfering with anything canon and we can keep pretending they're entirely real. It'd be nice if Valve did more to acknowledge them, though, yeah.

MEGA MEGA PANZER POPE SAN on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Take that as you will.

A cease and desist order isn't Valve's style, but I could definitely see them buying Black Mesa when it finishes and then selling it on Steam.

I mean, they did that for Counterstrike and Day of Defeat, right?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    heh

So anyway I watched the trailer and.. good gracious, I too need some new superlatives.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well seems their site has buckled under all the traffic the are recieving now

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    f-k-tf-k-t Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love the Blast Pit sequence. The scientist had a chance to get away... until he started screaming.

f-k-t on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I do agree that the crowbar animation is a bit insipid, though. It's just like he's petting the things with it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mars wrote: »

And this is just fine, because very little if any of the stories will end up interfering with anything canon and we can keep pretending they're entirely real. It'd be nice if Valve did more to acknowledge them, though, yeah.

Uh....Race-X?

Blue Shift is pretty much canon, but the only parts of Opposing Force that have been "accepted" by Valve are that Adrian Shephard was there and did some stuff, and that the G-Man
    activates the nuke at Black Mesa and puts Shephard in stasis. Valve specifically requested that Black Mesa be nuked.

Race-X on the other hand, was called "problematic" and was said that it should be ignored.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Uh, yeah. That's what I just said. Race-X interferes with HL's story, so they're not canon. The rest is.

Mars on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    JWFokker wrote: »
    Race-X on the other hand, was called "problematic" and was said that it should be ignored.

Honestly, when I first played OpFor I didn't even notice the difference. They were just more aliens. To shoot.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just when I was writing off this remake as Vaperware they go and release this great trailer and with a (tentative) Release Date to boot. It looks like it's coming together amazingly well. Looking forward to replaying their version of Half-Life 1.

One thing I have to keep reminding myself when thinking about this project is how much bigger Half-Life 1 was compared to Half-Life 2 and the Episodes. I can run through Half-Life 2 in about 10 hours now that I know what I'm doing without rushing too much. Half-Life 1 was closer to 20 hours if I remember right. Here's hoping that the game lives up to the nostalgia and hype, especially after seeing that trailer.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is that a Freeman model they show at the beginning there? Why on earth is there a Freeman model?

Iriah on