As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Short and sweet 360 games -> ?

WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Alternate title; Rental of the Year.

Reason.... Sort of lame but, Blockbuster (at least in my area) has a 30$ for 30 day type deal, so as many games as you can play in a month basically. It works out pretty well as there are a ton of games ive wanted to try for a while, but also there have been some amazing ones out recently that dont take all that long to explore.

Id need to get at least 3 games to make this worth my while ....So including great short games, what are some worthy ones of note that are better suited for rentals?

Off the top of my head im leaning for; Mirrors edge, Dead Space, and Warhammer Battlemarch. 2 keeners and a flop, but all things i need to play.

Witchsight.png
Witchsight on

• Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You'll want to read the fine print to check if that deal applies to new releases. I know when Pixels and I were looking into that same deal up here in Ontario, it excluded anything in the "New Release" section, which ruled out about half the games in the store. (Including, from your list of examples, Mirror's Edge and Dead Space for sure, don't know about the other one).

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Wow that would be a deal breaker for sure. But the super excited employee that explained it to me was specifically referencing newer games when i asked him about it, so i dont think thats the case where i am. Youve scared me into double checking though D:

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yea, read the fine print first. Employees will tell you anything to sell it and get their commission.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you don't play online or multi and don't care too much about achievemnents, Halo 3 is probably more a rental and can be finished in less than 20 hours.

Same with both Gears of War games.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Force Unleashed
    Bioshock
    Call of Duty 4
    Assassin's Creed

urahonky on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    might be a little biased with the cute puppy, but i'm having fun with Bolt.

Uuhhhhh, the default gamepass at Blockbuster (what i use) is like $23/mo for 1 game. $25 for 1game or movie. $32 for two games/movies. Anyways, I love it.

Other good rentals:
    Gears of war 2
    left 4 dead
    mirror's edge
    sonic unleashed
    .... hell just check my gamertag's game history :p

http://live.xbox.com/member/PikaPuff

edit- you're fine if you're in america, i dont' know what them wacky canadii's do, but here in amurika we get to rent new releases too with the deal

edit2- seriously, i've learned that almost everything is worth a rental with the game pass... actually i guess it depends on how often you can go to the store. for me i pass by it every day to/from work, so with a 5 minute detour, i can have a different game in my hand every day. I know people like gamefly, but in the three days it takes to mail out and recieve a new game, i can already have played two extra games. i mean it took me two weeks to be satisfied with fallout3, but then i rented mirror's edge for a day and beat it, then red alert 3 for a day or two, rentad avatar for a night (cough easy achievements cough), and gears of war 2 for a weekend

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I just finished Force Unleashed. Took maybe all of 8 hours and it was a blast. Definitely a rental. I wouldn't suggest anyone buy it.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The gameplay wasn't great, but I thought the Simpsons game was actually pretty funny. Short and no replay value though.

Also, the two Comdemned games. Maybe just the first one, actually. The sequel has better gameplay and graphics, but the plot goes kind of gonzo.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you don't play online or multi and don't care too much about achievemnents, Halo 3 is probably more a rental and can be finished in less than 20 hours.

Same with both Gears of War games.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Check out Condemned 1 and 2. Both fairly short and can be pretty neat when played back to back.

Trevor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sweet, i forgot all about Force Unleashed. Ill definately be making room for that in the top 3. My only concern about Condemned is that i can usually find it for 10$ or so used anyway if i really wanted to play it.

I did rent the 2nd one which was a blast as a rental. Except for that glitch that erases your game if you turn off your console from the controller, and then you have to play it all over again and get a late fee :(

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gears of War 1 is pretty short. I beat it over the course of an evening and following morning game session. Depending on how you like Achievements, Assassin's Creed can be beat fairly quickly. Force Unleashed is another quick one to play through.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I thought Conan the Barbarian was a great rental

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'll Chime in with saying Bioshock, Gears or War, and Halo 3 are good rentals.

you may also want to try

Dead or Alive 4
    Transformers the game

Artoria on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tomb Raider: Legend is like 6 hours long.

Renzo on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Im currently hooked on Lego Batman. A chapter can literally take about 10 minutes, and theres 5 chapters per story, 3 stories per side (hero and villian). Its the best pick up and play game Ive had in awhile. I can knock out a chapter on a lunch break and relax, and pick it back up and get another before bed.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tomb Raider: Anniversary is another good one. The Darkness (I hear) is very good and also very short.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    jclast wrote: »
    Tomb Raider: Anniversary is another good one. The Darkness (I hear) is very good and also very short.

Yes The Darkness is perfect for this situation.

Renzo on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hated Transformers the game.

I'll throw another vote behind The Darkness, Bioshock, and The Force Unleashed.

And I'll add The Bourne Conspiracy- fairly repetitive, but short enough that it doesn't overstay it's welcome. The takedowns pretty much make this game for me.

Ninja Gaiden 2 (or Black)- As long as you aren't obssessed with beating every difficulty and such, it's fairly short and a good ride.

Prey- another short FPS. An older game (compared to the rest) but they did some things that I thought were great. Loved the weapons and the use of gravity/wall walking. Made a friend of mine sick though :|

aBlank on
  • Options
    ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I highly recommend Dead Space!

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Devil May Cry 4, fo sho.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    aBlank wrote: »
    Prey- another short FPS. An older game (compared to the rest) but they did some things that I thought were great. Loved the weapons and the use of gravity/wall walking. Made a friend of mine sick though :|

Good call here. The plot is generic as shit, but they did some real neat things with the engine that is worth seeing.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Renzo wrote: »

Without hijacking this and making it a Darkness thread, is that true? Whats your definition of short?

I got the Darkness free (it was a deal with BioShock), and started it, and quit because I felt like it was taking FOREVER to do anything. I feel like I wasted a solid hour and a half doing tutorials and stuff and quit when I had to sit on the couch with my girlfriend.

Does it pick up from this point? I still own it, and I'd like a good, pick up and play - quit and save whenever, game for when Im done with Batman.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »

Without hijacking this and making it a Darkness thread, is that true? Whats your definition of short?

I got the Darkness free (it was a deal with BioShock), and started it, and quit because I felt like it was taking FOREVER to do anything. I feel like I wasted a solid hour and a half doing tutorials and stuff and quit when I had to sit on the couch with my girlfriend.

Does it pick up from this point? I still own it, and I'd like a good, pick up and play - quit and save whenever, game for when Im done with Batman.

Yeah it picks up pretty soon after that. You'll know when.

It's maybe 6-8 hours long if you don't try to get all the extras or sidequests.

Renzo on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    God The Darkness is an incredible game. I'm ashamed I didn't mention it before.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mirror's Edge is short and sweet.

If you haven't experienced it yet, The Orange Box is worth a rent just to play Portal. HL:2 and its episodes are very good but no longer earth-shattering.

Gears 1 and 2 single-player / co-op campaigns are relatively short and worth a look.

Dead Space doesn't take more than 10 hours, I think, and it's one of the best games of the year.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Syd LexiaSyd Lexia Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dead Rising, if you haven't played it yet for some reason.

Also, Force Unleashed.

Syd Lexia on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Stranglehold is exactly what you're looking for. 5-6 hours long, tons of style and destruction.

Blakout on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Blakout wrote: »
    Stranglehold is exactly what you're looking for. 5-6 hours long, tons of style and destruction.

I have the PS3 special edition with the movie and everything, and I still haven't played it. I need to do that.

Renzo on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Blakout wrote: »

I have the PS3 special edition with the movie and everything, and I still haven't played it. I need to do that.

I had it for a couple months before I even opened it. Beat it in two nights and haven't touched it since, probably won't play it again ever but it was a ton of fun while it lasted.

Blakout on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Trying to avoid already-mentioned games.

Dark Sector
    King Kong
    Splinter Cell: Double Agent
    Fight Night: Round 3

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yea, read the fine print first. Employees will tell you anything to sell it and get their commission.

I think you don't understand how video game sales work.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Faffel wrote: »

The thread is about a rental service, not sales.

Renzo on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Trying to avoid already-mentioned games.
    Fight Night: Round 3

Also, if you're looking for some quick Gamerpoints, FNR3 is the easiest 1000G you will ever get. Just create a boxer and play through career mode. About 1-2 hours later you'll have 1000G as it's impossible to miss any of the achievements.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wasn't so fond of Stranglehold the first time I tried it. The Tai-O chapter seemed to drag on endlessly, and I quit playing. But just today I picked it up again and tore through the remainder of the game in one sitting. It's a blast once you get out of the stupid waterfront. Solid level design, great destruction, and the amazingly useful spin move that unlocks on the very next level.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The latest Prince of Persia, was like the ultimate rental.

It's a gorgeous game, but you can burn through it in 1 or 2 days, with absolutely no replay incentive.

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Faffel wrote: »

The thread is about a rental service, not sales.

Exactly...and you better believe they have incentives to sell those premiere rental services.

Once again, they tell you anything to get their commissions.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »

Yeah it picks up pretty soon after that. You'll know when.

It's maybe 6-8 hours long if you don't try to get all the extras or sidequests.

You absolutely must play this game if you haven't already. It is a beautiful and wondrous thing.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Exactly...and you better believe they have incentives to sell those premiere rental services.

I checked this week to make sure the 30 day deal applies to all games and they guaruntee it does, no games are off limits as long as you keep only 1 at a time.

The plan starts next week when i have vacation for 14 days... o god i am going to laze so much. Ive added quite a few games to my list of rentals; Force Unleashed, PoP, Darkness, Left4Dead, For Answer, and anything else that catches my eye.

Now i just have to wait for the day before for a rrod, hooray!

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Witchsight wrote: »

I checked this week to make sure the 30 day deal applies to all games and they guaruntee it does, no games are off limits as long as you keep only 1 at a time.

The plan starts next week when i have vacation for 14 days... o god i am going to laze so much. Ive added quite a few games to my list of rentals; Force Unleashed, PoP, Darkness, Left4Dead, For Answer, and anything else that catches my eye.

Now i just have to wait for the day before for a rrod, hooray!

Cool, if it includes them all, then I would jump on it too.

Sounds like a fun vacation.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!