As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HDTV's - Plasma vs LCD vs standard HDTV

KyzenKyzen Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I've decided I want to get an HDTV after years of gaming on standard TVs. I don't know though what's the better option: LCD, Plasma, or a standard size (CRT?) HD. I'm looking for something 32" or larger, with 720p support.

Now I know I can get a standard HDTV for about half the cost as LCD or Plasma, but I'm not sure if the extra money is doing anything besides allowing for a smaller TV.

Also, when buying a plasma or LCD TV, is it wise to go with reputable brands, or are the off-brand with really cheap TV's a worthwhile alternative?

Kyzen on

• Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Plasma. Go to any TV store or Best Buy and see for yourself.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I heard the crt ones or whatever have the best 'black' meaning the darkest. Not sure how true this still is.

Xeno on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Xeno wrote:
    I heard the crt ones or whatever have the best 'black' meaning the darkest. Not sure how true this still is.

That is true but a large CRT is 300 pounds!!!

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Xeno wrote:

That is true but a large CRT is 300 pounds!!!

Weight doesn't matter when I move it like once every year.

Kyzen on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I always recommend this to anyone who leaves CRT open as an option:

The Sony KV-36XBR400. Here's one on craigslist as an example. It does weigh about 260lbs but if you don't care about that there's no reason not to get this TV. You can get one for around $500 used and it's the best picture quality out there for under $4,000 or so.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Plasma. Go to any TV store or Best Buy and see for yourself.

True and false, the new LCDs with 1080p from sharp, JVC, samsung, sony, all have very vivid amazing clear pictures, but the black levels of LCDs still do not even *come close* to touching a pioneer or panasonics black levels in the same price range

i personally prefer plasma, its a flat panel, 50" and above youre no doubt getting a better price on it than on an lcd

Gotcha Force on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    have you thought about the rear projection tvs? you can find some great LCD or DLP projection TVs very affordably compared to a plasma or LCD

i personally have a 30" CRT HDTV... it was cheap, and i love the picture.... bu the fucker weighs about 130lbs... and i live in a 5th floor walkup... i'm seriously considering just leaving it here when i move out

illig on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kyzen wrote:
    Weight doesn't matter when I move it like once every year.
    As someone who has moved his 34" CRT HDTV three times ever, let me tell you right now, yes it fucking does. Each time has been a painful and exhausting ordeal, I have vowed never to move this TV again except to sell it, and I'm actively looking forward to replacing it with something that two grown men can move without causing one or both to acrue a hernia. Seriously, they're that heavy, extremely akward to carry because most of the weight is all on one side (the glass), and the quality benefits aren't significant enough anymore to justify a CRT. When I bought it several years ago, plasmas were still too expensive, and LCD TVs were really new and not yet refined to the point where I would consider them. It's a totally different situation now, there are cost-effective plasmas, and LCD TVs have established themselves, those are the two technologies to consider these days.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    TrashieTrashie Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have a 30' Samsung HD CRT. One note: the blacks on my set are amazing. The caveat to that is that the contrast ratio is sometimes lacking. Shadow detail sometimes gets lost. Not so much when watching movies but some games these days seemed to be calibrated for LCD's and plasma sets where black level is as important.

Trashie on
    Trashie.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I've heard that plasmas have a very limited lifespan

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    illig wrote:
    have you thought about the rear projection tvs? you can find some great LCD or DLP projection TVs very affordably compared to a plasma or LCD

i personally have a 30" CRT HDTV... it was cheap, and i love the picture.... bu the fucker weighs about 130lbs... and i live in a 5th floor walkup... i'm seriously considering just leaving it here when i move out

Unfortunately I don't think I could fit one up the stairs of my apartment building. Had enough trouble with my mattresses and 27" TV.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm leaning towards Plasma, especially after the recent Walmart price drops on Panasonics. I might be able to snag a bigger set than I was hoping for, though probably for more money than i was hoping to spend.

Kyzen on
  • Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    They used to be 5-7 years. I haven't done any recent research but I think it's probably the same.

Nothing beats a tube for 'true' blacks. The only monitoring solution that we've seen that offers true, 0 ire black in the form of an lcd was $40,000. Apparently Sony is working on a solution for the professional market but that won't come until 2008.

denihilist on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have a 27inch Sony Wega CRT HD TV. It's heavy but it's not that heavy. Me and my brother actually lifted it about 5 feet to play it on top of my tall dresser.

In reality, it only weights like 165 pounds (says so in the book), but it's awkward to hold which iswhy is can feel heavier. I guess I should mention we are two big and strong guys so that might be why I think the weight isn't so bad.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    As a comparison my roommate's 32" lcd weighs 35 pounds.

denihilist on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    denihilist wrote:
    They used to be 5-7 years. I haven't done any recent research but I think it's probably the same.

Nothing beats a tube for 'true' blacks. The only monitoring solution that we've seen that offers true, 0 ire black in the form of an lcd was $40,000. Apparently Sony is working on a solution for the professional market but that won't come until 2008.

you work in the video market deni?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Yes. I work for a post facility.

denihilist on
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have a 32" CRT HDTV and I wish I could have afforded an LCD at the time. Granted, the TV was like 560 at wal-mart, and is a Great tv but it weighs like 130lbs and I live in a small 2nd floor apt. We had to unbox it down in the parking lot to get it upstairs. I'm totally gonna have to pay my brothers when I move to get them to help me with this beheemoth.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    denihilist wrote:
    Yes. I work for a post facility.

same here

nexuscrawler on