Moment of the Week: 12/3/2008

245

Posts

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Let's see. Doom's been cooperating with Loki, and was housing Namor and the Atlantean Army. Now he's an international fugitive because of the Venom Bomb situation so he's not in much of a position to be dictating anything to Norman, probably the only man on Earth who controls the man (Sentry) who handed Doom his ass.

    As for Emma, after what happened with the X-Men in SF I'd definitely want to hook up with her. One, she's one of the most powerful telepaths on Earth. But second, because it takes a dysfunctional pair of "heroes" to pull that trick off. Even Norman might be in awe at the balls on her and Scott, and would definitely appreciate their utter ruthlessness.
    You are absolutely deluded if you think Doom would give a shit about any of that. He would not take terms from Osborne. He wouldn't let Richards talk to him like that, much less some murderous psychopath with an obsessive fixation for anthropomorphized arachnids. None of them would. Osborne pretty publicly murdered some Atlanteans, so Namor is out, Loki is a God, so he's not going to be impressed, and Emma is 1) not evil, and 2) would only care so far as mutants are concerned, and it's pretty obvious the government is going full retard anti-mutant again. The Hood just wouldn't give a damn. There is not one person in that room who would actually show up, much less let Osborne talk to them like that.

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pretty obvious based on what?

    Doom is an egomanic, but he's not an idiot. Likewise, Namor is not in a position to dictate a lunch order let alone anything substantive to anyone.

    Anyway, my MotW from, well, guess.
    018tm7.jpg

    Crimsondude on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pretty obvious based on what?

    Doom is an egomanic, but he's not an idiot. Likewise, Namor is not in a position to dictate a lunch order let alone anything substantive to anyone.
    In uncanny, aren't they reactivating the Sentinel program yet again? I mean, they caused a genocide and they're still around.

    Right, Doom would be too smart to listen the the crazy man. And Namor is also under no obligation to be there, and he's the king of Atlantis. He has sleeper agents throughout the U.S. You seem to be arguing from the point that them being there and listening to Osborne already makes any kind of sense.

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    Unless someone changed Namor while I wasn't looking he's so ridiculously proud and overbearing that knuckling under to anyone, let alone Osborn, is as likely as his not hitting on Sue any more.

    Bogart on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    Unless someone changed Namor while I wasn't looking he's so ridiculously proud and overbearing that knuckling under to anyone, let alone Osborn, is as likely as his not hitting on Sue any more.
    Same with Doom. He's not gonna care that his Castle was blown up by the Avengers. He may have his weird thing with RIIIIICHARDS!, but he's still the second smartest man on the planet, and currently, the best mage.

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    The last time they tried this cabal of villains thing Doom didn't even bother attending personally, sending one of his Doombots instead.

    Bogart on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    The last time they tried this cabal of villains thing Doom didn't even bother attending personally, sending one of his Doombots instead.
    That's true, it might be a Doombot.

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • edited December 2008
    I don't think Doom is so proud to walk away from what could be a very beneficial opportunity. He has shared interests with Namor and Loki in the first place.

    That said, they desperately need to get a Dark Illuminati issue out right away to hammer out the problems you guys are talking about.

    Dareth Ram on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    I don't think Doom is so proud to walk away from what could be a very beneficial opportunity. He has shared interests with Namor and Loki in the first place.

    That said, they desperately need to get a Dark Illuminati issue out right away to hammer out the problems you guys are talking about.
    I mean, my perception of the ending is colored by the event, so while a bunch of you guys really liked it and are satisfied, the (to me) awkward pacing and less than desirable writing colors the ending for me in a different light. So yeah, obviously if you liked the event, you will like the ending more.

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FCD wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Plus the fact that Tony was part of that whole "Illuminati" thing, which still hasn't been totally revealed to everyone yet. Judging from the very last page of SI #8...
    Namor could be spilling his guts about all the shit they did.

    Regarding that last page
    I have to wonder why Doom is letting Norman dicatate terms to him. I mean, sure, Normie has snowed the average, ordinary populace of the MU's Earth into thinking he's an awesome hero, but Doom wouldn't care about that, and he definitely wouldn't tolerate some nutjob with a rubber mask fetish telling him what to do. Though I suppose they could show him objecting to this situation when/if they reveal the rest of this meeting. Also, Normie's face is weird on that page. Like a really evil, twisted version of Nixon or something.
    Every conversation I can imagine Doom and Norman having ends with Doom shouting "BEGONE, FOOL." and backhanding him.
    Or deciding touching Norman is beneath him and not worth dirtying his hands by slapping him, shooting him with the Mauser he keeps on his hip.
    I've only looked at scans of the issue, last page-spread included. I have to say, while this IS Norman Osborn talking, what he's saying doesn't necessarily lead me to think his next words are "I'm the boss, so shut your mouths." If anything, he's simply letting them know how much reach he's got with his new government position and what they can all do to take advantage of it. Like asking Doom to let him know a day or so in advance when he's going to attack the F4 next so that the Avengers will be conveniently across the country for some reason and so on.

    Owenashi on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why don't we give the writers a chance to actually write something before we decide why or why not something like this would happen.


    Also, it is conceivable that Norman doesn't have some evil scheme and he's actually trying to do good. In his own twisted way.
    Doubtful, but conceivable.

    SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I'm eager to find out what Norman's ultimate plan is.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    hey let's take this discussion to the Secret Invasion or Avengers thread or whatever

    Garlic Bread on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sounds good doggy! :)
    So I guess my MotW would be... another issue of Iron Fist coming out. I haven't been to the shop this week yet. :(

    DouglasDanger on
    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    The last time they tried this cabal of villains thing Doom didn't even bother attending personally, sending one of his Doombots instead.
    That's true, it might be a Doombot.

    I hope it's that Doombot from Punisher War Journal who just kept shouting KNEEL BEFORE DOOM continuously

    SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

    PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

    AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I'm eager to find out what Norman's ultimate plan is.

    Kill Spider-Man.

    Mai-Kero on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pretty obvious based on what?

    Doom is an egomanic, but he's not an idiot. Likewise, Namor is not in a position to dictate a lunch order let alone anything substantive to anyone.

    Anyway, my MotW from, well, guess.
    018tm7.jpg
    If nothing else, I'm glad that they let Clint finally have a happy moment. Thank you for that, Marvel.

    FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm eager to find out what Norman's ultimate plan is.

    Kill Spider-Man.

    I imagine Jonah leaping at the chance to help him out. I wonder if he still has the plans to the old Spider Slayers?

    FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FCD wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm eager to find out what Norman's ultimate plan is.

    Kill Spider-Man.

    I imagine Jonah leaping at the chance to help him out. I wonder if he still has the plans to the old Spider Slayers?

    I would love a gigantic, world-altering union of super-villains put together, all inside a big underground lair being evil and they get into the war room and there is a man there wearing a grinning Halloween costume and the projector displays a single PowerPoint slide:

    KILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMAN
    KILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMAN
    KILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMAN
    KILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMAN
    KILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMAN
    KILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMAN

    And they all just sigh and walk away.

    durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to the International Rescue Committee, the National Immigration Law Center, the Southern Poverty Law Center, and the American Civil Liberties Union. There has never been a more urgent moment to do so.
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FCD wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm eager to find out what Norman's ultimate plan is.

    Kill Spider-Man.

    I imagine Jonah leaping at the chance to help him out. I wonder if he still has the plans to the old Spider Slayers?

    I would love a gigantic, world-altering union of super-villains put together, all inside a big underground lair being evil and they get into the war room and there is a man there wearing a grinning Halloween costume and the projector displays a single PowerPoint slide:

    KILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMAN
    KILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMAN
    KILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMAN
    KILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMAN
    KILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMAN
    KILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMANKILLSPIDERMAN

    And they all just sigh and walk away.

    I'm imagining an entire presentation, complete with animated bullet points, sounds, and clipart, where the sentences and titles are all Kill Spider-Man, Lorem Ipsum style. Norman being batshit insane, doesn't realize his presentation is like that, and proceeds to present his plan in a professional manner.

    wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I finished SI: 8 and NA: 47 and I have a complaint about Tan's Jessica Jones:

    She is way to skinny/supermodel looking for me, she just doesn't look right. Oh and I liked the stories

    smokmnky on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm gonna go ahead and jump in here and say that my "What the Hell" moment of the week was Batman.

    Seriously. What the hell.

    Lucascraft on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    but secret invasion wasn't Tony's fault at all

    that's what pisses me off

    Um Tony was head of SHIELD. It was pretty much his job not to let bad shit like that happen, and he failed to even realise there was an issue until it was pretty much too late. His failure as head of SHIELD is why everyone is now able to dump shit all over him.

    Plus he kind of did cause it along with the rest of the illuminati when they attacked the skrulls and got themselves captured and studied. And the rest of the world doesn't even know that bit.

    This would make sense if they didnt make a big deal about SWORD and how its the extraterrestrial threat version of SHIELD, meaning they were the ones responsible for letting aliens invade, which has nothing to do with Tony or SHIELD.

    KVW on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    Virral wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    but secret invasion wasn't Tony's fault at all

    that's what pisses me off

    Um Tony was head of SHIELD. It was pretty much his job not to let bad shit like that happen, and he failed to even realise there was an issue until it was pretty much too late. His failure as head of SHIELD is why everyone is now able to dump shit all over him.

    Plus he kind of did cause it along with the rest of the illuminati when they attacked the skrulls and got themselves captured and studied. And the rest of the world doesn't even know that bit.

    This would make sense if they didnt make a big deal about SWORD and how its the extraterrestrial threat version of SHIELD, meaning they were the ones responsible for letting aliens invade, which has nothing to do with Tony or SHIELD.
    Also the fact that it was a systemic failure of all the Avengers, SWORD, the FF, and so on.

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • EpiphanyEpiphany Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tony had just been placed in charge of everything but SWORD though which was only really introduced in Astonishing X-Men and all that hydra hair has been doing since is beastility. So arguably the buck stops with Tony and his incredibly compromised tech that was ruined by the fact that he was running everything through his extremis powers.

    Epiphany on
    3DS Code- 4700-0094-6364
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Garlic Bread on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User
    edited December 2008
    So SI#8 was pretty good, but Marvel Zombies 3 #3 was rad too:
    Basically a full book of Aaron killing every zombie in sight in an assorted number of ways. Him tearing ass across town on the Ghost Rider's burning motorcycle was pretty great too. I can't wait to see the next issue.


    Also, from JSA #21
    Mr Terrific: Did you just punch a bolt of lightning?
    KC Superman: Yes.

    kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA
    edited December 2008
    if si 8 is the beginning of a heel turn for
    emma
    i'll be so fucking pissed.

    also, i'm kind of thinking tony might hit the bottle a little over the coming months?

    he really got shit on to a depressing degree (i still love you, iron man!) and that last shot of him where he's sitting in the dark not listening to whoever was talking to him (was that supposed to be pepper?) totally made me want to drown my sorrows and i'm not even a recovering alcoholic

    Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    if si 8 is the beginning of a heel turn for
    emma
    i'll be so fucking pissed.

    also, i'm kind of thinking tony might hit the bottle a little over the coming months?

    he really got shit on to a depressing degree (i still love you, iron man!) and that last shot of him where he's sitting in the dark not listening to whoever was talking to him (was that supposed to be pepper?) totally made me want to drown my sorrows and i'm not even a recovering alcoholic
    Emma's going to be in the X-Men Annual which will explain why she finds herself at the table, etc. I think the fact that it's being told as an X-Men story gives a bit of credence to the idea that she has a good explanation for being there.

    I think he was talking with Maria Hill, and that was pretty depressing. Considering he's going to be chased by Osborn and HAMMER for whatever he has that Osborn wants, I hope he doesn't drink because he doesn't have time.

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It was Maria Hill. And I don't think he will have time. Nor will it be likely while he now has two hardass women riding/covering his ass who would die before allowing him to fall off the wagon.

    Crimsondude on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA
    edited December 2008
    on another note, since when did the president get the authority to unilaterally dismiss the leader of a U.N. organization and dismantle that organization. did i miss the point when shield came under US jurisdiction?

    Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    on another note, since when did the president get the authority to unilaterally dismiss the leader of a U.N. organization and dismantle that organization. did i miss the point when shield came under US jurisdiction?
    Bendis essentially changed it so Maria Hill could be made acting director, and it's been slowly morphing into a U.S. organization ever since. One of the large things that pisses me off about the status quo, actually.

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    on another note, since when did the president get the authority to unilaterally dismiss the leader of a U.N. organization and dismantle that organization. did i miss the point when shield came under US jurisdiction?
    yeah that was pretty dumb

    Sars_Boy on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    on another note, since when did the president get the authority to unilaterally dismiss the leader of a U.N. organization and dismantle that organization. did i miss the point when shield came under US jurisdiction?

    Well, he can pretty much hire and fire the president of the World Bank at will, and that's an international institution. I assume SHIELD works much the same way.

    But there's nothing to indicate the rest of the Security Council and/or General Assembly didn't agree with the idea that SHIELD needs to go.

    Anyway, let's not kid ourselves about how international SHIELD is or isn't. It was pretty much American/NATO back in the '70s too.

    Crimsondude on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm gonna go ahead and jump in here and say that my "What the Hell" moment of the week was Batman.

    Seriously. What the hell.

    Seriously.
    The "What If?" scenarios were kind of cool though. Too bad it was a pretty pointless story overall.

    McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    McCly wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm gonna go ahead and jump in here and say that my "What the Hell" moment of the week was Batman.

    Seriously. What the hell.

    Seriously.
    The "What If?" scenarios were kind of cool though. Too bad it was a pretty pointless story overall.

    I don't know.
    Explaining that Darkseid has an army built off of Batman's psyche may have some ramifications in Final Crisis

    Bloods End on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wait.

    What?
    That's awesome!

    Crimsondude on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    McCly wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm gonna go ahead and jump in here and say that my "What the Hell" moment of the week was Batman.

    Seriously. What the hell.

    Seriously.
    The "What If?" scenarios were kind of cool though. Too bad it was a pretty pointless story overall.

    I don't know.
    Explaining that Darkseid has an army built off of Batman's psyche may have some ramifications in Final Crisis

    I mean, it's cool, but I felt like I could have better spent my money on another book.

    McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    JSA #21
    Jay is transformed into the KC Flash?

    Garlic Bread on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    JSA #21
    Jay is transformed into the KC Flash?

    That sounds awesome.
    Is it still Jay with a speed-force body, or were they swapped between realities?

    I kind of wish I didn't drop JSA.

    McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.