As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Death Knights: Yes, you can has Arthas

• Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mastman wrote: »
    man, the Naga camps in Zangar. There's so many mobs so close, it's such perfect DK XP grinding. Just tore through them forever last night.

Warp field in hellfire is good for that too.

xzzy on
  • Options
    KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I'm lev 64 and in Terrokar. I think it's about time I left here because this is where I was when I quit WoW. I would like to see the rest of Outland before I head to Northrend at 68. Where's a good place to start and am I high enough level to go anywhere in outland now?

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    cr0w wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    cr0w wrote: »
    So I've been playing my DK since the WotLK launch, and I absolutely adore him. Leveled as Unholy, then went Blood as I started getting better gear, since I've seen it scales much better. Plus I like the big crits. Joined up with a raiding guild and tonight went on my first 25-man Naxx run, and had a blast. Pulled about 3700 DPS overall, which I can obviously improve upon as my gear improves. Got a bit of an off-the-wall spec since the MT needs me to have improved Death Grip for Malygos, but it's working out well for me thus far. Here's my little man.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Korialstrasz&n=Nyarlothotep

Hi-5 on the name!

One of my three DK's
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bleeding+Hollow&n=Nyarlat

Yeah!

My name was initially Krayven, because for some reason I like that name, but I figured I'd screw with our raid leader and change it to something he could never pronounce. :)

These people become some sort of nickname or butchered name usually tho. Like I am fairly sure at some point some one will call my dk (Cryx) Cry X vs. Cricks in vent, hell people mess up pretty simple names my rogue is Virus and multiple times has been called Veer-us...

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Any idea when this patch will be dropping?

Also can anyone link to the Blue Post that contained this? (or other source? I like some confirmation as I have seen fake patch notes before)

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Any idea when this patch will be dropping?

Weeks, probably. They don't announce that sort of thing though, so it could be as small as a week, although I doubt it.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They'll probably decide to implement some feature noone will use and delay the patch for months.

Patch 2.2 was awesome.

815165 on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think we see some sort of patch with the new arena season. I am hoping these changes or the dual spec goes live with the arena season, the dual spec seems like it would be good to marry to the arena patch but that isn't looking likely.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    I think we see some sort of patch with the new arena season. I am hoping these changes or the dual spec goes live with the arena season, the dual spec seems like it would be good to marry to the arena patch but that isn't looking likely.

Hm, that's next week. I doubt it, but we'll see.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    End wrote: »
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »

Hm, that's next week. I doubt it, but we'll see.
    Won't happen, unfortunately. They said that they're "hoping" to have the dual-specs out with the first major content patch which is Ulduar (3.1), and that isn't happening until after 3.0.8 goes live, which itself probably won't happen for at least a week or more. I'd say dual-specs aren't happening until February at the absolute earliest, March being a better estimation.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    KingMoo wrote: »
    So I'm lev 64 and in Terrokar. I think it's about time I left here because this is where I was when I quit WoW. I would like to see the rest of Outland before I head to Northrend at 68. Where's a good place to start and am I high enough level to go anywhere in outland now?

64 is high enough to start in Nagrand. Blade's Edge starts opening up at 65 if I recall properly. At 67 pretty much all quests are available.. I'd recommend going to Netherstorm and doing the Kirin'Var quests because it's an XP extravaganza.. something like 20 quests you can do in under an hour.

xzzy on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm thinking of going blood spec on my DK... right now, at 60, was thinking something like this. Followed up by picking up the vampiric blood and mark of blood and sticking the rest in frost, ending up like this. Any suggestions/recommendations? Anything I'm missing?

dojango on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For Blood spec, I like Sudden Doom for the 2ish hours of play time I've had it. I'm pretty newb at DK though.

Vendetta seems kind of pointless w/ imp rune tap, mark of blood, AND bloodworms.

zilo on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sudden Doom is a great talent. Pick that shit up. Unless you hate free crit death coils.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Vendetta is a junk talent, bloodworms and death strike will almost always have you at full health at the end of a fight.. and if you're not full health, rune tap probably will put you there.

And yes, sudden doom is a fantastic talent. It procs a lot more than the talent suggests, almost always once per fight.

I'd probably skip hysteria and vampiric blood while leveling. Mark of blood is pretty situational too, though it has saved my ass when an elite started getting my health low.

I'm undecided on Death Rune Mastery.. it seems like death runes are a good thing, but 90% of the time I want to spend my death runes on a death strike or obliterate anyways, so why would I need either ability to give me death runes? I guess there's the argument that two heart strikes is more damage than one obliterate, but for leveling, stuff won't live long enough for your death runes to cycle.

I'd take points out of toughness as well, unless you're going for pvp. Glacier Rot is a better use of points.

xzzy on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ok, sudden doom is in, couple other things are out. So hysteria is no good?

dojango on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    xzzy wrote: »
    I'm undecided on Death Rune Mastery.. it seems like death runes are a good thing, but 90% of the time I want to spend my death runes on a death strike or obliterate anyways, so why would I need either ability to give me death runes?

Death Rune Mastery in my opinion is a must get. Heart Strike is your primary strike so being able to go through two more of them in a rotation, every other rotation, is a good thing.

The rotation I use at 80 is...

IT - PS - HS - HS - OB - Runic Power Dump w/ Death Coil
    IT - PS - HS - HS - HS - HS - Runic Power Dump w/ Death Coil

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That was touted a lot for a while, but now I'm seeing more and more blood Death Knights suggesting not dropping the obliterates. One benefit of this, is less of a reliance on unholy presence(the 4 HS rotation gets really tight) and/or more opportunities to dump death coils.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    That was touted a lot for a while, but now I'm seeing more and more blood Death Knights suggesting not dropping the obliterates. One benefit of this, is less of a reliance on unholy presence(the 4 HS rotation gets really tight) and/or more opportunities to dump death coils.

Really? So drop the Death Rune Mastery and go with...

IT - PS - HS - HS - OB - Runic Dump

as the rotation?

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well doesn't that have a 3 min cooldown of happening? That kind of soured me to it.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That tooltip hasn't been updated in ages, there's no cooldown.
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »

Really? So drop the Death Rune Mastery and go with...

IT - PS - HS - HS - OB - Runic Dump

as the rotation?

Yep, if you don't have annihilation, and blood/unholy does seem to be doing a bit more damage than blood/frost.

Septus on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »

That's exactly what I was thinking except I dropped blood worms and picked up hysteria and blood aura.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What's the prevailing wisdom on a leveling spec? I went Blood kind of by default because I wanted to see what bloodworms look like, but Unholy looks like it could be a hoot as well.

zilo on
  • Options
    douglydougly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    zilo wrote: »
    What's the prevailing wisdom on a leveling spec? I went Blood kind of by default because I wanted to see what bloodworms look like, but Unholy looks like it could be a hoot as well.

I recommend Unholy because of the mount speed increase. Other than that, I think blood and unholy tend to even out when questing. Blood being stronger on single target and unholy being better on multiple.

Of course, I was basically in some sort of weird mental coma when I was grinding levels and still don't remember the majority of my leveling.

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Most people go unholy simply for the increases to mount and walking speed talents. Your death strike is big enough to eliminate most concerns about any sort of downtime, and you can AOE pretty well too.

As for max level spec, I'm going to wait a bit and see how the upcoming changes flesh out, as they are going to necessitate a reevaluation of talents and builds.

Savant on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    JJ wrote: »
    Rizzi wrote: »

That's exactly what I was thinking except I dropped blood worms and picked up hysteria and blood aura.

Great minds think alike etc..

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    dojango wrote: »
    So hysteria is no good?

Hysteria is good.. when you're level 80 and in groups.

Solo? Completely pointless.

xzzy on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Unholy DK is the new Undead Rogue.
    I wuv Frost.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I love blood for soloing personally, and I think it's simply way too OP as it is. You'll find that there's no down time, you can continuously chain mobs together, and the only real current problem is the lack of decent AoE damage, which will be solved with Blizzard's proposed "fixes". The 51 point blood talent is also a fantastic way to add some additional DPS to some of the elite mobs you attempt to solo.

If you spec into Unholy as well, you can get the gargoyle as a 21 point talent (losing the 51 point blood talent). And the 6 second increase on the time your diseases stay up will increase your survivability as well, since you'll be able to throw in another death strike or two if necessary.

You could toss five points into both frost and unholy for the armor bonus and the dodge increase for added survivability, and would easily be able to tank the instances leading up to 80.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Having specced into a frost tanking build at 71, I'll just say that there's no bad DK leveling build. Unholy is probably the fastest, assuming you can pull a bunch of things at once, but that's by no means settled and I doubt the difference is that big anyway.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    You could toss five points into both frost and unholy for the armor bonus and the dodge increase for added survivability, and would easily be able to tank the instances leading up to 80.

I don't really buy that, at least under the current iteration of will of the necropolis.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hm, I may wait and see how the new Heart Strike shakes out. That + pestilence + blood boil may set me up ok for AE.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Having specced into a frost tanking build at 71, I'll just say that there's no bad DK leveling build. Unholy is probably the fastest, assuming you can pull a bunch of things at once, but that's by no means settled and I doubt the difference is that big anyway.

I spent 2 days on each spec, and yeah, once you learn how they work, they're all pretty much identical. Frost had the highest raw DPS, but didn't heal anywhere near as much as Blood. Unholy DPS was entirely dependent on how many mobs I pulled, and it was always a fine line avoiding pulling too many.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hmm, frost feels way different than unholy to me.

Septus on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Unholy DK is the new Undead Rogue.
    I wuv Frost.

Hi5

Frost DPS is where it's at.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I spent 2 days on each spec, and yeah, once you learn how they work, they're all pretty much identical. Frost had the highest raw DPS, but didn't heal anywhere near as much as Blood. Unholy DPS was entirely dependent on how many mobs I pulled, and it was always a fine line avoiding pulling too many.
    Wow, Frost has the highest raw DPS? That's surprising; it seems like a tree really dedicated to tanking by and large. I know that Howling Blast (or whatever it's called) is supposedly a pretty hard-hitting ability, but beyond that, what do they have that really pumps up the numbers? I had always just thought that Blood was the top of the heap (if only marginally) in terms of DPS and Unholy was king of survivability.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm pretty sure frost is not the highest. I consistently seeing unholy specc'd DKs having the highest WWS reports.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Wow, Frost has the highest raw DPS? That's surprising; it seems like a tree really dedicated to tanking by and large. I know that Howling Blast (or whatever it's called) is supposedly a pretty hard-hitting ability, but beyond that, what do they have that really pumps up the numbers? I had always just thought that Blood was the top of the heap (if only marginally) in terms of DPS and Unholy was king of survivability.

It's probably gear dependant.. I was in the low 70's and had an assload of crit.

Frost did ~150 dps more in identical gear compared to Unholy and Blood. Unholy would do more DPS if I got a good AE pull, but those weren't the norm.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Man, either way, what does Blood have going for it then? Because there's more than enough survivability in Unholy with Bone Armor (nerfed though it will be) and the use of Death Strike, and if Frost has at least comparable DPS and (presumably post-patch) more survivability/mitigation than Unholy, Blood's appeal would be...?

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, i'm already missing frost.

JJ on