As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Week o Games, 12/7: RPG of the Year out this week. Also, POP'08 pc. And.. c.o.r.e.

slash000slash000 Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Another week, another 7 days of new game releases!

Welcome to the 42 edition of G&T's newly traditional "Weekly Games Release Thread!" - Week 12/7 - 12/13!

Where we discuss what we're looking forward to, what we're going to buy, and what we're just now realizing is being released this week that we had forgotten about!

NDS

941646_92013.jpg

C.O.R.E.
Set in the year 2050, C.O.R.E. will have you uncovering the mysteries behind a top secret US Army lab in this 3D first-person shooter.

Nintendo DS-dedicated developer NoWay Studio has announced its debut title, the first-person shooter (FPS) C.O.R.E. Set in the year 2050, players take on the role of a U.S. Marine exploring an underground laboratory. The complex was built to research the effects of a meteor that crashed years prior, and the Marine has some gruesome discoveries in store for him. NoWay says the game will be set to "heavy" music.

180898brp.jpg

Cate West: The Vanishing Files

Build a Lot

Drivers Ed Portable

Left Brain Right Brain 2

Slingo Quest

PC

647364b.jpg

Prince of Persia (2008)
The critically acclaimed Prince of Persia franchise returns for the first time on next-generation platforms with an all-new epic journey

Hidden Expedition: Amazon

The Tale of Despereaux

PS2

281959b.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
Shortly after an urban youth begins a year-long stay in the countryside town of Inaba, the rural town's peace is shattered by a horrific murder that leaves no clues or suspects. As the lone incident develops into a series of bizarre crimes, he discovers that only he and his friends have the power to solve the baffling case, bring those responsible to justice, and restore harmony to his new home.

PS3

270212b.jpg

Sonic Unleashed
Sonic the Hedgehog is on an adventure unlike any other! Powered by an all-new engine, Sonic Unleashedâ„¢ merges classic Sonic gameplay with the latest in next-generation innovation. Merging blistering 2D action with meticulously rendered 3D environments, players race through intriguing locations across the globe as Sonic to save a chaotic world.

PSP

190537b.jpg

Dungeon Maker II: The Hidden War
Seventy thousand years of peace has finally come to an end. The evil that lay dormant is now beginning to stir. Will a hero emerge once more to shed light upon the shadow? Ferocious beats and monsters have invaded your lands! Delve deep underground and create a grand dungeon to lure the evil and vanquish it forever.

Wii

230395b.jpg

Ski & Shoot

230340b.jpg

Neopets Puzzle Adventure

and this:

Imagine Fashion Party

Xbox360
nothing

WiiWare/VC

dunno yet

XBLA

dunno yet

PSN
dunno yet

*** note: some games are shipping friday, meaning, may not be available until Monday of next week.

The holiday wallet rape is winding down.

The NDS gets a somewhat interesting First Person Shooter, as CORE looks like it's trying to be the Quake or Doom of the NDS or something. Could be good, and I love portable FPS with good controls, so color me interested.

PC gets the latest Prince of Persia, finally.

PS2 gets the latest edition of Persona, as numero quatro comes out this week.

That's about it. PS3 gets Sonic but whatever.

slash000 on

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dammit people! That neopets game is a "sequel" to Puzzle Quest. At least the DS one was.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nothing new this week, but I'll probably be buying either Fable 2 or Prince of Persia.

Darlan on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ski&shoot is oddly intriguing.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    ski&shoot is oddly intriguing.

Actually I just looked up a trailer for it... considering what it is, it doesn't look so completely horrible. I think it supports the balance board too. I think. Could be wrong. Probably a decent game if a person just has got to have a Ski & Shoot game. Whatever that sport is called. Biathlon?

The second title we've managed to hunt down new information on is another 49Games effort, RTL's Biathlon 2009 (otherwise known as Ski and Shoot). Although the third iteration in the franchise, this is the first to appear on the Nintendo Wii, and it includes full support for the Wii Balance Board and Wii Zapper.

We're promised 20 different courses to compete on (four brand new), and the chance to play as real-life biathlon stars through career and cup modes. 49Games is also working in a number of multiplayer modes, both 4-player and 2-player split screens.

from http://www.balanceboardblog.com/2008/09/biathlon-2009-wii-ski-and-shoot-new.html

trailer:

slash000 on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    that's an actual sport? haha. I imagined it as shooting while skiing, too.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    P4, woo!

That is all.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    that's an actual sport? haha. I imagined it as shooting while skiing, too.

Yeah, it's an actual sport. I know.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh good, the RPG of the year is due out this week.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The XBLA games this week look really promising. Power Up Forever is a Namco-Bandai shmup that looks like Geometry Wars crossed with Katamari Damacy (as you play you evolve and get bigger and attract larger & more dangerous enemies) and Meteos Wars is a version of the popular DS puzzle game. Both games are 800 MS points.

And it's illegal in most states to call any week when a new Shin Megami Tensei game comes out to be a slow week for gaming.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The XBLA games this week look really promising. Power Up Forever is a Namco-Bandai shmup that looks like Geometry Wars crossed with Katamari Damacy (as you play you evolve and get bigger and attract larger & more dangerous enemies)

Sounds kind of like Blast Works; a shmup where you dodge and shoot in shmup fashion, but you can "roll up" downed enemy ships and add them to your increasingly large ship, and the enemy guns are used to shoot with you as well.

and Meteos Wars is a version of the popular DS puzzle game. Both games are 800 MS points.

Meteos works so incredibly well with a stylus, it's hard to picture playing with a gamepad. But if it works, then that's good news, because Meteos is an incredibly fun game.

And it's illegal in most states to call any week when a new Shin Megami Tensei game comes out to be a slow week for gaming.

Hah, suckers :P.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Very slow week, but I'm ok with that, I have a backlog of games I am needing to finish. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    nothing for the 360? like, nothing?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Oh good, the RPG of the year is due out this week.

Limed SO HARD. Persona 4 for me this week for sure.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Nothing but XBLA stuff.

slash000 on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Nothing but XBLA stuff.

See, I'm actually relieved by this.

Although it doesn't help too much, as I already picked up PoP for the 360 earlier today.

Edit: Hey, isn't the Fable II DLC out on Friday?

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dammit people! That neopets game is a "sequel" to Puzzle Quest. At least the DS one was.

CAPCOM?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Nothing but XBLA stuff.

Don't forget XNA games too! Not that anything particularly interesting for XNA Community Games has come out this week yet, but the week is still young.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I might buy the PC version of Prince of Persia. I'm in love with that game thanks to the other platforms, and I want to see how my PC handles it.

Persona 4 looks neat, but yeah, looks like this year's holiday season o' gaming is finally over. Thank goodness!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Drivers Ed Portable, woo.

Oh, and Persona 4.

It should be in stores tomorrow, if what I heard is true.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    God dammit I can't get P4 this week, I'm running out of time to study for my final as-is. I will buy it then, and just leave it. Leave it there in the case. Watching. Waiting for me...

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The US PSN is getting Lumines Supernova and Street Fighter LBP DLC (if that applies). Meanwhile, the Euro PSN is getting Astro Tripper (from PomPom, the guys that made Mutant Storm) and hopefully one (or better, both) of Super Street Fighter II HD and Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode 1. SCEE bloody sucks...

Anyway, Prince of Persia is fantastic. Buy it.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Meteos Wars & Power-Up Forever both rock. Buy them both. I plan on doing exactly that when I get paid next.

Speaking of which, would anyone who has bought Meteos Wars comment on the online multiplayer? I remember Lumines Live having attrociously laggy online gameplay so I'm hoping that Meteos Wars didn't suffer the same fate.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Is Meteos Wars actually anything like Meteos, or have they switched around some mechanics so that it's merely Meteos-like (and still fun of course)?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I've only played the DS version once (played a friend's copy while waiting in line), but it seems to be basically the same thing. Instead of the stylus controls, you move the cursor with the left stick and move blocks up and down with the right stick. People who have played the DS version to death might have difficulty adapting, but I think it controls pretty well this way personally. Or rather, any loss in speed from the stylus controls is more than made up for IMO by being able to see what you're doing much easier (big screen, not having to worry about your hand getting in the way).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's still a matter of building up a huge blog in your screen and then launching it all at once against your opponent, though, right? No major changes like.. tetris-izing it or anything?

Also it's a shame they didn't make a proper Meteos sequel on DS. There was the Disney version, which eliminated the "small screen" aspect of Meteos 1 by displaying the game bookstyle.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's still a matter of building up a huge blog in your screen and then launching it all at once against your opponent, though, right? No major changes like.. tetris-izing it or anything?

I don't know how it was done in the DS version, but in the 360 version, you have a meter that fills up as you launch stuff off the screen. Once it's filled, you can use a power attack (which varies depending on the planet you chose) against your opponent that hopefully will mess them up.

EDIT: I just played the demo again, and yeah, launching a big block off your screen makes a bunch of null blocks fall on your opponent's screen.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hm. Most of the fun of the NDS game was building up this huge mass at the top of your screen, carefully balancing it there while you add onto it and let pieces add onto it, without putting yourself in too much danger, and then lining up a few good missiles to send the huge enormous mass of shit flying off your playfield and onto your opponent.

Playing the XBLA game, is there a big bulk of shit that you build up before launch, or do you just fill up a meter?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hm. Most of the fun of the NDS game was building up this huge mass at the top of your screen, carefully balancing it there while you add onto it and let pieces add onto it, without putting yourself in too much danger, and then lining up a few good missiles to send the huge enormous mass of shit flying off your playfield and onto your opponent.

Playing the XBLA game, is there a big bulk of shit that you build up before launch, or do you just fill up a meter?

Yep. The meter is just a special attack, your regular attacks are still based on launching big piles of stuff into the hemisphere.

RainbowDespair on