As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows was not able to enable this device

EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I left my charger at a friend's house so I wanted to disable wifi on my eeePC while I was working on some documents to save battery life. So, I right clicked on the tray icon that showed my wireless signal strength and selected "disable" instead of hitting the hotkey on my keyboard. Not sure why.

So, now my wireless card is listed as "disabled" in device manager (I'm running WinFLP, which for all intents and purposes is Windows XP SP2), but when I try to enable it, it tells me "Windows was not able to enable this device". I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, but to no avail. I still get the same message.

So, since my wifi worked fine for weeks up until yesterday when I disabled it, I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Has anyone had this problem? What should I do? Google turns up nothing. I'm having to use my room mate's laptop now, since obviously I can't connect to the internet with mine since the wireless card is disabled.

Einhander on

• Options
    Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I find some times if I remove the device from the manager. Then reboot follow by reseating the card it might work. Window get funny about devices sometimes.

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I can't reseat the card because it's internal.

Einhander on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    uninstall the device from device manager, it should auto recover it after your next bootup

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I have. I've uninstalled and then reinstalled the drivers, and it's still showing up as "unable to enable".

Einhander on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    head to bios and see if you can reenable it in there

if that fails post up the make and model of the computer

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It was enabled in BIOS, it's an eeePC 900A.

But, since it was a nearly new OS install and all of my important data is already on a thumbstick (I guess the only upside of having a 4GB SSD), so I just took twenty minutes and reinstalled WinFLP and now I am not having any problems.

Thank you for the help, though.

Einhander on