As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You can write things and sell them for money

Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
edited December 2008 in Social Entropy++
Did you know you can type things on a computer and then sell them to publications? Assuming you live in some sort of city, there are probably plenty of local magazines to sell your writing to, with each paying a ____ cents per word. What does it take to get published? Emailing a 'pitch memo' to editors, telling them a bit about yourself, and then 'pitching' the story you are going to write/have written, and include a few choice paragraphs to flesh it out. Boom! Check's in the mail.

But that's not really what I want to talk about. I'm curious, what sort of magazines, local or country-wide to you folks read? Do you read a particular newspaper, or watch a particular news channel? The news is fun to read, after all.

Dangerou-Dave on

• Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I read Wisconsin newspapers online.

And stuff.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    the local paper for my hick town is the worst abortion of journalism I have ever seen

I don't think they employ a proofreader! nor have they ever to the best of my knowledge

it is so full of grammatical and spelling errors it is just embarassing

most of the stories are trivial nonsense, but nothing ever happens in that town for them to report on so I can't blame them for that

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The best part is reading the arrest reports to see how many of the people I know
    usually at least one

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    All of 'em, any of 'em.

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    oh my god yes

i had sound crackling problems on my laptop, whenever vista scans the local wireless networks i'd get sound crackle and slowdown of the entire computer

and i was reading forums and apparently disabling 802.11a bands on my wireless adapter works! shit yes! crackle-free sound!

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    twilightreviewjc6kt4.jpg

Easy money.
    I didn't write this. It is parody by a writer I respect. I posted it because the paper I used to work on, and even before that for my university press were EXACTLY THE SAME BUT NOT TRYING TO BE FUNNY'

Seriously, so many fucking hack journalists make money for utter balls on a page these days it makes you wonder why I even give a fuck and dont sell out and work on the Sun.

In fact, why don't I work for the Sun. I can sex up any news headline.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    hahahah (for 12-year-old girls)

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    She's so spot on though. I know people who speak like that and who enjoyed Twilight. They exist. That is the real tragedy of most parody, it's only funny because it's true.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This will sound very ethnocentric, but I'm referring to geography here, not news quality or prestige:

I never really thought about the news market in the UK. Is it more difficult to get a decent job there? I mean, there's major newspaper markets up and down the coasts here, and everywhere in between. New York, Chicago, D.C., San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Dallas, Minneapolis, etc. etc. I imagine the number of markets in the UK is a bit constrained due to your size?

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    my local paper has a kate beaton comic in the middle insert thing dealing with local arts or some shit.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You have a half decent degree in journalism or english you will walk into a newspaper position in the UK before you even graduate, like half my cohort.

Mind you, most are low paying internships, but those are the dues you pay. Also you have to live in London to work for any publication other than a select few Future magazines which are based up in sheffield I think. That's pretty much par for the course though in the uk, most jobs are in london, which is fucking expensive, dreary and grey and depressing.

I want to write for an american paper one day, cause then i can get away with not wearing a fucking t shirt and jeans to work and not look out of place. seriously, the day i wear even the slightest hint of a shirt its all 'oh man, here he comes got a wedding to go to or something?'

'look at my fucking shirt, its creased to shit and has donut jam all down the side. its the only fucking thing i could find this morning you goddam slobs.'

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    god

i can't wait to start applying to papers with my writing degree

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    my local paper has a kate beaton comic in the middle insert thing dealing with local arts or some shit.

I want one of these in my paper, instead of them still running calvin and hobbes, peanuts, gary larson and fucking hagar the horrible

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    god

i can't wait to start applying to papers with my writing degree

you're gonna be getting an english degree right? sometimes i kinda wish i had one of those, more options. but on the other hand, i dont wanna be anything else, so win win?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm about to talk to the local paper about writing a local theatre column for them

I'm well on my way to complete legitimacy

YaYa on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i've been thinking about submitting essays to the local gainesville papers. Their columns are not the best things ever. At least they are grammatically correct!

But seriously the opinion columns could use some philisophical insight.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The only game magazine I read anymore is Edge. It's expensive but a good read, especially for their articles on the makings of various games.

Even if they gave Saints Row 2 a 5, I mean, come on

Moriveth on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The only game magazine I read anymore is Edge. It's expensive but a good read, especially for their articles on the makings of various games.

Even if they gave Saints Row 2 a 5, I mean, come on

ergh

I want to read Edge but I just can't anymore

they're too pretentious even for my tastes

YaYa on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    that article has got to be the onion

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Um, I dunno, all of those theaters are the ones closest to jacksonville, fl, or inside

but it could be the onion!

Vladimer on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ok just read the article more and now I want to hit things

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »

I want one of these in my paper, instead of them still running calvin and hobbes, peanuts, gary larson and fucking hagar the horrible

its not in the actual comics section and its just old stuff you can see on her website

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    CruixCruix Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Futore wrote: »
    i've been thinking about submitting essays to the local gainesville papers. Their columns are not the best things ever. At least they are grammatically correct!

But seriously the opinion columns could use some philisophical insight.

In comparison to the televised news in Gainesville, the paper is a shining beacon of hope.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    edit- fuck double post

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    There are some things you're missing out on if you pursue journalism with an English degree. (Obviously there are trade offs for both, but I'm not an English expert).

Some examples might include an understanding of 'freedom of the press' issues.
    Sounds simple, doesn't it? I've taken whole courses about this issue. One very simple example of what this entails: You're reporting on the scene of a major car accident. A police officer walks up and tells you to leave. What do you do? Where are you standing? Is it a sidewalk? A street? etc.

Another thing you might miss out on is information aptitude. Do you go to the county clerk for 'data X'? The auditor? What information do you go to a state attorney general for? Can I find these blueprints at city hall? Who are the 'go to' people at the city courthouse? etc.

The writing style if very important, but anyone can learn that as well. What information do you include in the first paragraph of a car accident piece, a house-fire piece, a robbery? etc.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The only news i watch is the Daily Show. Sometimes I'll check Yahoo for big events.

I feel like it's the only way I won't get some angered spin

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    do people still read newspapers?

really?

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    twilightreviewjc6kt4.jpg

Easy money.
    I didn't write this. It is parody by a writer I respect. I posted it because the paper I used to work on, and even before that for my university press were EXACTLY THE SAME BUT NOT TRYING TO BE FUNNY'

Seriously, so many fucking hack journalists make money for utter balls on a page these days it makes you wonder why I even give a fuck and dont sell out and work on the Sun.

In fact, why don't I work for the Sun. I can sex up any news headline.

this is fantastic

redhead on
  • Options
    BearstranautBearstranaut Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't...I can't read.

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    There are some things you're missing out on if you pursue journalism with an English degree. (Obviously there are trade offs for both, but I'm not an English expert).

Sounds simple, doesn't it? I've taken whole courses about this issue. One very simple example of what this entails: You're reporting on the scene of a major car accident. A police officer walks up and tells you to leave. What do you do? Where are you standing? Is it a sidewalk? A street? etc.

Another thing you might miss out on is information aptitude. Do you go to the county clerk for 'data X'? The auditor? What information do you go to a state attorney general for? Can I find these blueprints at city hall? Who are the 'go to' people at the city courthouse? etc.

i get information aptitude from google, and i have no doubt that i'll be able to take some extra journalism courses at whatever university i end up at

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

i get information aptitude from google, and i have no doubt that i'll be able to take some extra journalism courses at whatever university i end up at

Not that kind of information. I'm talking, someone was killed an hour ago. There's not someone sitting in the courthouse who types up information and uploads it to a website the minute a piece of paper lands on their desk.

Pair this with a 5:00 p.m. deadline for tomorrow's paper.

Believe me, google is a fucking massive resource for, well, everything. But there are some things you need to pick up a phone, or get in a car for. Building face-to-face relationships with these sources of information might be the most important thing of all.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    Frank BrakFrank Brak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I only read Readers Digest.

Their humor in uniform section just busts my buttons.

Frank Brak on
    "hold the phone. now give the phone to me."
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Futore wrote: »
    The only news i watch is the Daily Show. Sometimes I'll check Yahoo for big events.

I feel like it's the only way I won't get some angered spin

It's more that you know exactly what angered spin you will get

L|ama on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i have a degree in magazine journalism

nobody will give me a job so i'm probably going back to school for something

not really sure what yet

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    alright, is this like a pop quiz or

e: i don't mean that i can google these things, but finding things quickly in google requires a strategy for thinking about how to find things out

most of your hypotheticals have press contacts, or should

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    BearstranautBearstranaut Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I once wrote for the local paper and did reviews of local band cd's and events....

I was pretty unforgiving and got bitched out constantly by a bunch of greasy hippies.

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ah, I misunderstood.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Frank Brak wrote: »
    I only read Readers Digest.

Their humor in uniform section just busts my buttons.

My brother-in-law appears to have gotten me a Readers Digest subscription for Christmas.

I'm trying to remember whether I might have shat in his shoes at any point in the recent past.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    they don't have up-to-the minute press releases on the web, but they should have departmental extensions at least

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I once wrote for the local paper and did reviews of local band cd's and events....

I was pretty unforgiving and got bitched out constantly by a bunch of greasy hippies.

read orik's HST sig

Vladimer on