As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Two Wii Games

2and2is52and2is5 Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So my friend's parents bought him a Wii for Christmas, and they asked me to recommend two games to go along with it. My question is, which two? I'm not real sure what his tastes are like, and he hasn't had a console since PS2. I was thinking two out of this list...

Brawl
Mario Galaxy
Resident Evil 4
Wario Ware
Super Paper Mario
Twilight Princess
Mario Kart

What do you guys think? Anything else you'd recommend over these? Keep in mind I don't have first hand experience with any of these, just kind of going with 'well reviewed'.

2and2is5 on

• Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Twilight Princess is a great Zelda game, but a lot of people just aren't into the whole puzzle-solving thing. Has he ever played a 3D Zelda game? If he liked any of them at all, he'll love Twilight Princess.

Super Mario Galaxy is fun for most people.

Brawl is a safe bet. Playing the Wii is a very social activity, and Brawl is a top-notch game to be playing for multiplayer. However, I feel like you need GameCube controllers to get the best experience, and that could be $20/controller, so Brawl might not be a great choice.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mario Kart is great for multiplayer. Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess are great for single player, as is Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. If he needs a second controller (remote), get the Wii Play bundle...it is only $10 more. Resident Evil 4 is supposed to be a pretty good port of the game.

You may also consider one of the Lego games, tho I've only had fun on those with a friend.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    In my opinion, RE 4 and Twilight Princess.

But, I'd second Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. That game was awesome.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Elebits
    Trauma Center

Seriously people.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pick up Brawl or Mario Kart for a multiplayer party game, both are awesome fun and very solid. Then, pick him up No More Heroes or Resident Evil 4 for some single-player fun, since both are AMAZING games that have replay value(RE4 more than NMH in that respect, though)

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Personally i'd go with no more heroes and warioware/mariogalaxy

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What's the console being used for?

I mean, Galaxy and NMH for a party console are about as stupid as stupid gets.

Brawl and Kart for a single-player console equally.

Khavall on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mario Galaxy is probably the best singleplayer game on the concole, followed by Metroid Prime 3.
    Mario Kart is probably the best multiplayer game, followed by Brawl.

If he's the "lol kiddy" type, depressing as that is, the second of each might be safer.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    2and2is5 wrote: »
    So my friend's parents bought him a Wii for Christmas, and they asked me to recommend two games to go along with it. My question is, which two? I'm not real sure what his tastes are like, and he hasn't had a console since PS2. I was thinking two out of this list...

Brawl
    Mario Galaxy
    Resident Evil 4
    Wario Ware
    Super Paper Mario
    Twilight Princess
    Mario Kart

What do you guys think? Anything else you'd recommend over these? Keep in mind I don't have first hand experience with any of these, just kind of going with 'well reviewed'.

ok ill just describe the games quick since i own most of them.

Brawl - has a single player part and the massive massive multiplayer part. the single player is interesting but short and can get very annoying if you are a completionist and want to have every level beaten with all the various 'achievements' and what not. the multi player is really where this game shines, well shines a little bit... its really not too much different from melee, it has more characters with slightly different moves and it took away some of the cheap characters strengths while also eliminating many of the terrible elements of the game. since its a skill game with timing you often find that one person will be noticably better if they get to play more. still decent for a specific group of friends if not an all around 'party game' 4/5

Mario Galaxy - very fun. period. it has about 30-40 different levels which all have their own little surprises and challenges. even when you revisit the same level to get a different star the level will be slightly changed. the story is nothing special, usual mario stuff. difficulty wise it is just hard enough to keep you engaged without being so hard that it makes you want to pull your hair out. its essentially Mario 64 with better graphics, camera angles, controls and puzzles. very very good game (in fact i'd go as far to say the best game for the wii) 5/5

resident evil 4 - remade for the wii after its release for other consols by downgrading the graphics and adding in some wii remote goodness. usual resident evil action and startling scenes but i found it very limited once you ran through the story. after the game is done, there isn't really much incentive to keep playing or to even replay it (for me atleast). its a one time game in my eyes that was probably better on a different consol anyway. 3/5

wario ware - random party game. GREAT DRINKING GAME. not really much different from the game cube version except that it has more puzzles that now use the wii remote. however playing this game sober is just something that doesn't strike me as fun. it can get old but is usually good for an hour or so of fun. essentially its beer pong for the wii. 4/5

super paper mario - the first 'decent' game that came out for the wii if i remember. it has some interesting controls and puzzles but doesn't really challenge you anywhere. the graphics are... well... 2d most of the time... and it is definitly a kiddy game. the replay value on paper mario is almost nonexistant. you cant revisit bosses and while you can go back through levels (and you often have to in order to use your new tool in an old level), there is no real reason to do so. 3/5

Twilight Princess - its as if they took ocarina of time and remade it! nothing too surpirsing here when it comes to zelda games, the controls use of the wii remote to swing your sword but not for much else important. the puzzles are more difficult than usual zelda games with characters who don't always just point you to the next dungeon or puzzle to continue the story. as far as replay value, there isnt much but it is still a good and long game which (in my case) made me forget the puzzles enough to play it more than once. single player only 4.5/5

Mario Kart - i have a particular hate for some of the aspects of this game. for one, its not really a single player game since in single player you can easily go from first place with half the course for a lead to a sudden second if you get hit at the wrong time. this can easily lead to frustration when you have been doing so well for 3 races to come in second for the last one and miss out on that star. multi player is much more fun but not quite as fun as double dash was for the game cube. still its no different from any other mario kart game except for the addition of bikes. 3.5/5

so my recommendation is mario galaxy and zelda, but if your friend wants to have a multi player game add in brawl instead of zelda.

there really arent very many other good games for the wii so he'll probably end up owning most of the ones you listed anyway.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Uhh RE4 downgraded the graphics to be put on Wii? I think not.

Mario Galaxy if he likes to play in short bursts - it's really good if you don't have huge chunks of time to sit down and play. RE4 is better for longer playing sessions. Mario Kart is an awesome game for 2+ people. I would also recommend the Trauma Center games, Ghost Squad (get the zapper or Perfect Shot if you get him this.)

Brawl is a good game but my friends and I don't play it that often. Super Paper Mario I was disappointed with.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    resident evil 4 - remade for the wii after its release for other consols by downgrading the graphics and adding in some wii remote goodness. usual resident evil action and startling scenes but i found it very limited once you ran through the story. after the game is done, there isn't really much incentive to keep playing or to even replay it (for me atleast). its a one time game in my eyes that was probably better on a different consol anyway. 3/5

lol wut

Don't make me post the video showing the difference between the Cube/PS2 versions of RE4.

And yes, you need to find out what kind of tastes your friend has/what the console will be used for. The Wii lends itself to being a party console. If you think at any point that your friend will want a second controller, you might as well get Wii Play.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    woops for some reason i was thinking of force unleashed...

now wheres that edit button.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TP and Mario Kart w/wheel.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anyone who does not recommend Super Mario Galaxy can get the heck out of here. It's pretty much universally praised as one of the best games on the Wii. Plus my fiancee (who used to make fun of my gaming habits) got every star in the game. Which shocked the hell out of me. Anecdotal evidence and everything, but I really can't see anyone NOT enjoying the game.

And the other choice is really tough. No More Heroes is great, but only if he's a "mature" gamer. Metroid Prime 3 was an excellent game, but only if he likes FPS games.

urahonky on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Right beside the Shift key.

No wonder you're having a hard time finding it.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd recommend Brawl for the party setting and Mario Galaxy for alone time. Twilight Princess is great, but requires a bit more stamina and conscious enthusiasm than Galaxy.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Right beside the Shift key.

No wonder you're having a hard time finding it.

i was just kidding, i can't edit my post while jailed so just assume that anyone who reads it is going to read the correction below it.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Every person who owns a Wii should own Mario Galaxy. Beyond that, I'd recommend RE4 for another single-player game or Mario Kart for multi.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would consider a "normal" video game such as Mario Galaxy, RE4, or Metroid Prime 3, and one awesomely unique Wii experience such as Boom Blox or Wario Ware.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would consider a "normal" video game such as Mario Galaxy, RE4, or Metroid Prime 3, and one awesomely unique Wii experience such as Boom Blox or Wario Ware.
    Good call there with Boom Blox. For better or worse, it's important to have an experience where you're made to think, "Okay, this is me playing my Wii; this is a Wii experience and I think X of it".

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If that's the case, I'd definitely pick up de Blob because that game was fantastic.

urahonky on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thirding Boom Blox. Very fun and unique to the console.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Get a single player focused game and a multiplayer focused game.

Single player: Choose between Super Mario Galaxy or Resident Evil 4
    Multiplayer: Super Smash Bros: Brawl

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would say Galaxy and Brawl.

However, if you find out he likes driving games I'd strongly recommend Excitetruck - it's possibly the most underrated game on the console.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There are so many awesome and unique games out there that maybe they can get him a Gamefly subscriptin.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!