As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I love Jon Stewart / Colbert is also awesome

misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Social Entropy++
http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=213349&title=mike-huckabee-pt.-2

I like Huckabee, but loathe his positions on gay marriage. Stewart tells it pretty much how it is, and Huckabee seems genuinely at a loss for any real argument.

I love Stewart so very much. Perhaps I'd marry him...

misbehavin on

• Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    He's pretty cool.

Having just been in my first semester of college, I've certainly seen and heard about him a whole lot more in recent months.

matthias00 on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2008
    the gays shouldnt be allowed to marry

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    robothero wrote: »

Barack Obama would agree with you.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    He's so awesome - he's like a cuddly, funny Jeremy Paxman.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i like colbert better
    because of the threat down

beavotron on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Butters wrote: »

still stupid

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Man what is with people hassling the gays?

As long as it's not an animal, child, relative, or dead person I say you should be able to fuck whatever you want.

Einhander on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    so did anyone here actually call out of work today with the case of the gays?

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Stewart on Crossfire in 2004 is so great. He rips the fuck out of CNN on CNN.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I say just get rid of marriage all together - civil unions for everyone. You want to get married, pick a religion that will have you - otherwise, just enjoy the tax benefits and legal rights afforded to you without worrying what it's called.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I say we just get rid of everything ever

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I say just get rid of marriage all together - civil unions for everyone. You want to get married, pick a religion that will have you - otherwise, just enjoy the tax benefits and legal rights afforded to you without worrying what it's called.

I don't understand why most people don't take this position :|

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Mandatory civil unions in every state with the full protections of marriage and all legal rights.

Marriage is a civil right. This is so fucking basic.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    hey everyone look jon stewart is an articulate funny liberal and oh hey he is making a horrible neocon look reactionary this must be big news

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What I found most amusing about this interview is that Huckabee has apparently named his book after a spike lee film

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I don't understand why most people don't take this position :|

lqdj2.jpg

Marriage is a sacred gift from God for a man and a woman to share alone etc etc blah blah blah

Einhander on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

uh, it's a bit more nuanced than that.

he personally disagrees with it, but if states pass their own laws allowing gay marriage, he's not opposed to it. he's also against any laws that would ban gay marriage, and he wants to overturn the Defense of Marriage Act.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Crossfire was even better when you take into account the fact that CNN canceled Crossfire almost immediately after the incident.

If you like Colbert, though (as I do), you must watch this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-869183917758574879

misbehavin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I don't know how to assimilate Obama being personally against gay marriage--it does not fit his character at all to be honest. He must be taking a middle ground for a political reason.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The closest thing we have to the Daily Show in the UK I guess would be something akin to Have I got News for You, or perhaps newsnight when they have decent guests on. Nothing on a daily basis, not as political. Kinda wish we did, there is so much material in the British government.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

he personally disagrees with it, but if states pass their own laws allowing gay marriage, he's not opposed to it. he's also against any laws that would ban gay marriage, and he wants to overturn the Defense of Marriage Act.

He's also pro-civil union or whatever other buzz word(s) you want to apply. He just is politically savvy enough to understand that you don't fuck around with the word marriage or the religious right go nutty.

Hunter on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Nope, Obama hates the gays and tricked everyone into thinking he's in favor of equal rights just to get elected.

You know it's true because Butters said so.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Redeemer wrote: »

Oh fuck, I agree with Keith Olberman...

Goddamn it!

misbehavin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »
    I don't know how to assimilate Obama being personally against gay marriage--it does not fit his character at all to be honest. He must be taking a middle ground for a political reason.

To be fair, it could be that he doesn't feel that his personal opinion on the matter should override the popular concensus of the entire country.

I'm on the fence as to which I think it is.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »

He's against changing the terminology of marriage as a specific social-religious concept of man and woman get married. He's all for a union in which 2 people share the basic rights of domestic partnership, specifically the legal ramifications like next of kin, medical decisions, tax benefits, property, and so forth.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yes but he is using the Republican straw-man in order to deflect criticism. Of course he realizes the definition of the word marriage is hardly the issue.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The part I don't understand is how some people will agree that gay couples should have the exact same rights and privileges as a married couple, but still don't want it to be called marriage. It makes no sense.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    they can have civil unions while us straights get married in churches

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Here's what it comes down to for me:

If anything is under the umbrella of the government, including marriage, then it shouldn't be denied to anyone based on race, sexual orientation, or religious preference.

If religion wants to hold onto the word marriage, then abolish the word from government, change it to civil unions, and then let the churches use "marriage" in their ceremonies if they want to.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think that is a good idea misbehavin, you should run for office.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Marathon wrote: »
    The part I don't understand is how some people will agree that gay couples should have the exact same rights and privileges as a married couple, but still don't want it to be called marriage. It makes no sense.

It's called a compromise. By compromising the actual word, people get the heart of what they want without having to piss off another large chunk of the population.

Why is it such a big deal to the other side of the coin then? Is the point to get the rights and privileges of marriage or to piss off people? If it's to just piss in the other side's cheerios, then they're not in the game for the right reasons either and have no moral highground to stand on when religious right people go off on the "next you'll marry goats and ocelots" tangents.

Also, to even be dedicating this much time to gay marriage while the economy is in the shitter and 2 wars are going on is ridiculous. The concept of marriage means nothing when you don't have a place to live, food, or medical care.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I already explained it

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=8153135&postcount=17

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Or just let anyone get married and tell people that think that the word "marriage" is special and for churches only that they can go fuck themselves.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You know, while I am generally okay with telling people to sodomize themselves with their stupid convictions

its pretty hard to deny the connection between religion and marriage

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mandatory gay marriages

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Or just let anyone get married and tell people that think that the word "marriage" is special and for churches only that they can go fuck themselves.

But then the state is interfering with affairs of the church. Wasn't America founded on the notion that these two entities were separate? Or have I got it the wrong way, and you guys think the church is the state etc. Genuine question, my American history is patchy. Here in the UK the Government has no control over the Church of England whatsoever, which is why we have civil unions that have exactly the same legal benefits of marriage but the church still does not allow same sex marriage.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    You know, while I am generally okay with telling people to sodomize themselves with their stupid convictions

its pretty hard to deny the connection between religion and marriage

Marriage is a part of some religions. But in this country you can still be just as married without ever stepping into a church. My wife and I could have gone to the judge and we would still be "married". Why should it be any different for two men or women who go through the same process?

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    potatoe wrote: »
    mandatory gay marriages

i do

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

But then the state is interfering with affairs of the church. Wasn't America founded on the notion that these two entities were separate? Or have I got it the wrong way, and you guys think the church is the state etc. Genuine question, my American history is patchy. Here in the UK the Government has no control over the Church of England whatsoever, which is why we have civil unions that have exactly the same legal benefits of marriage but the church still does not allow same sex marriage.

Im not saying that churches have to be forced to marry gays if they don't want to. I'm saying that the term marriage should be applied to all unions, heterosexual or homosexual. If you think that telling churches that marriage counts the same either way is a violation of church state separation. Wouldn't letting the churches take ownership of the term marriage be the same type of violation of church state separation?

Marathon on