As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extremely odd firewall problem

TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
So, several months ago my parents computer stopped talking to the internet. I paid a visit to have a look at it and discovered the firewall (sygate) had broken, and wasn't showing up in the tray. I've seen a virus pull something like this before, so I ran some scans on the computer, but they all turned up blank. Uninstalling the firewall restored access to the network.

The next thing I tried was to reinstall the firewall. Doing so gave no change to its previous behaviour (broken, block internet access). I tried the Comodo firewall instead, and got a few minutes of internet access before it too started falling apart and blocking the internet. At this point I gave up, and reinstalled windows (with Avast! and sygate), and everything got better.

Everything was fine until a week ago, when it suddenly reverted to its previous behaviour. I decided to come home for christmas early so I could fix it, and brought my computer back with me to do some work.

Heres where it gets wierd. Parents computer is off, I plug mine into the router and switch it on. Sygate on MY computer crashes, and blocks internet access. I unplug from the router, restart and its still broken. Has anyone seen anything remotely like this before? I'm totally confused, and would rather not reinstall windows twice if its not going to make a damn bit of difference, but I don't have any other ideas.

handt.jpg tor.jpg

Technicality on

• Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Since no one responded why don't you mention what modem you have and who the ISP is. Not to mention that Sygate has been dead for years now. Comodo is very good though.

Dark Shroud on