As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Engrave: Elbereth

• Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i almost missed this thread because fuck nethack

i still play some variants of angband every once and a while, though, and IVAN is always fun for a few deaths

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Davoid wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    In the current unreleased iteration of Dwarf Fortress, the writer has discarded not only hit point systems, but the limb damage systems he previously had.

Now there's some fucked up body parts system that tracks internal organs, bones, the volume of blood left in the body, body tissue layering, hair growth and even how many teeth you have left and which ones they are.

how much weed did he smoke to think that was a good idea

I was totally ready to believe this was a joke, until I read the developments page on the site.

It is vitally important because when you have a war that lasts for thousands of years and each side is battling one another, taking prisoners and if they feel like it, they will paint the walls of their fortresses with the blood of their captives and flags and maybe rugs from their skins so it's important to know how much skin and blood you're going to get out of one captive okay?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Castle of the Winds will forever be my favorite roguelike because it had a great norse-myth story and shitlots of spells, items, and the Diablo-esque ability to randomly generate the dungeon with each new playthrough.

Good Goddamn Times.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I played castle of the winds so hard back in the day.

I'm talking way back in the day. Like, I may have been eight.

But it was awesome.

The last "roguelike" I played was Elona, and it was pretty cool.

matthias00 on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    NETHACK THREAD FUCK YES

I played the shit out of this game in high school. It was a nice way to forget how much I hated everything.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have a love/hate relationship with roguelikes.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Honestly I might go look around for CotW again just for old times' sake.

edit: ok cool found it within about 20 seconds

matthias00 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    In the current unreleased iteration of Dwarf Fortress, the writer has discarded not only hit point systems, but the limb damage systems he previously had.

Now there's some fucked up body parts system that tracks internal organs, bones, the volume of blood left in the body, body tissue layering, hair growth and even how many teeth you have left and which ones they are.

I was totally ready to believe this was a joke, until I read the developments page on the site.

It is vitally important because when you have a war that lasts for thousands of years and each side is battling one another, taking prisoners and if they feel like it, they will paint the walls of their fortresses with the blood of their captives and flags and maybe rugs from their skins so it's important to know how much skin and blood you're going to get out of one captive okay?

Good lord, I don't know whether that's awesome or horrifying.

I should really get into DF, but man the learning curve on that is steep as fuck.

I'm looking forward to JADE (the new roguelike from the guy who did ADOM), though.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I started playing IVAN again thanks to this thread.

It's kind of really easy to die

IVAN had so many awesome comical deaths though

like shit, a hedgehog just bit my head off

dammit Tube

Moriveth on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I'm pretty sure Toady actually has some mental problem, OCD or something.

matthias00 wrote: »
    I played castle of the winds so hard back in the day.

I'm talking way back in the day. Like, I may have been eight.

But it was awesome.

same

L|ama on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    IVAN is pretty damned hilarious, I played it a whole lot the last time one of these threads came around

I haven't played many other roguelikes (apart from the original Rogue, back in the day)

I've tried Dwarf Fortress a couple of times but never got past the map generation

Are there any/many non-fantasy roguelikes? Damn you, Tolkien.

Ten on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well, there's that Doom one

Also in Elona it's set in a fantasy setting but you got stuff like grenades, ray guns, machine guns etc.

matthias00 on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Someone should write an interesting guide for people to get into Dwarf Fortress.

Because the game is awesome once you get past it all.

E: The current guides aren't very interesting if from what I remember. Useful but boring. So many people would love the game if they could play.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Everything has to be in the shape of a dong.

L|ama on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I still consider Toejam and Earl to have tons of roguelike qualities. The only thing it's missing really is a deep stat and class game.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    oh man that game was so fucking awesome

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I still remember playing it with my friend as a kid.

"Hurry open that box, we're in trouble."
    "BEES!"

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Someone should write an interesting guide for people to get into Dwarf Fortress.

Because the game is awesome once you get past it all.

E: The current guides aren't very interesting if from what I remember. Useful but boring. So many people would love the game if they could play.
    I think the one I had in the first DF OP was pretty interesting. I just can't remember who wrote it but it captured the mystery and confusion quite well.

It's hard to have a guide since variable starting locations were invented though.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I played the Discworld MUD for a while back in the day. IVAN is great - I've died so many times by boosting my fire defence, ignoring mines because they can't hurt me, and then being killed when my wand of lightning explodes.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Weretaco wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    i used to play LoRD

on a BBS

god i'm so old

LORD was alright.. but nothing compared to fuckin Usurper

Also, trade wars.. so many hours

ahahahah trade wars

man, i think we should set up an SE++ BBS

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I actually had some decent times on.. I think it was the TTB BBS system or something? I think I played trade wars or something like that. Whatever. it was cool at the time.

matthias00 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »

Good lord, I don't know whether that's awesome or horrifying.

I should really get into DF, but man the learning curve on that is steep as fuck.

I'm looking forward to JADE (the new roguelike from the guy who did ADOM), though.

He's doing all this because he wants a game where he can have situations arise within normal gameplay of the complete Dwarf Fortress game and not as preprogrammed set pieces. Situations like:
    THE SYSTEM, (Future): You are apprehended, brought to a jail, chained to the wall, interrogated and beaten, brought before the ruler, sentenced, put on public display locked in stocks, subjected to thrown vegetables and ridicule, brought up to a platform and executed.

I HAVE PROOF!, (Future): You walk into a town and shout "Behold! The left head of the ettin which I slew!"

MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

WHAT WERE WE THINKING, (Future): You are sent to rescue the prince and princess, who have been captured by the evil wizard. You uncover the sinister and disgusting plot to breed the siblings to form an evil army of mutants.

MAGICAL IDIOT PEEPER, (Future): Hearing of her exotic beauty, the young knave uses a ring to open a portal in the wall of the princess's bedroom, wrenching a small cylinder of stone out of the wall via its magical powers. However, the stories had all been told by Southmen, and she was in fact quite unattractive by the different standards of his culture.

DIGESTIVE TRACT LESSON, (Future): You are eaten by the dragon. It chews on you briefly, and you are grieviously wounded, but it swallows you and you survive. The powerful acids in its stomach surround you, but you are protected by your ring. Eventually you are passed into the intestines, where nutrients and water are absorbed, and then you are excreted.

LEGENDARY LIAR, (Future): You lie to your companions and tell them the castle is abandoned, when in fact you have knowledge that it is inhabited by a giant beast that you wish to kill. They come with you seeking treasure. Somebody else asks where you are going later, and you say "to the castle to kill the beast!" Your companions abandon you and your reputation as a liar is secured for all time in the history books.

DIVINE INTERVENTION, (Future): You are playing goblin ball in the arena when your son yells "dad! dad! goal! goal!". Your son had been praying all day just so that you would win. Your kick is short, but the god Markad manifests and finishes the kick.

When this game is finished (Release date is probably something like the year 2078 or so) IT WILL BE AWESOME.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I MAKE ALL MY OWN CLOTHES, (Future): You follow the stench of death to the corpse of a corpulent goblin. You flay it and wear its foul skin as a jumpsuit.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I played HACK. Then, NEWHACK. Then I had a PC with memory, CGA graphics and DUAL 5.25" FLOPPY DRIVES. Hello Ultima III.

Jerks.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What happened to jefes 1 to 413?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It sounds like he is attempting to program his own little universe

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What happened to jefes 1 to 413?

Unsuccessful clones. Have you heard of Vault 108? This was Vault 414...

GARY?

jefe414 on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    the ending to IVAN was disappointing

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    the ending to IVAN was disappointing

Dude what are you talking about? Ivan Drago got his ass beat by Rocky! That's the best ending ever!

Except for Mr. T in Rocky III.

jefe414 on
  • Options
    WalrusWalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I need to play Dwarf Fortress again. I got to grips with multi-level stuff and underground reservoirs but I had no magma and it was the version before he fixed goblin attacks and stuff so it all felt a bit pointless.

Walrus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I tried out dwarf fortress for a couple days.

It just pissed me off.

matthias00 on
  • Options
    WalrusWalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Did it piss you off because it is the best?

Walrus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It pissed me off because I felt like I was at the helm of some wondrous alien mechanism, with all the directions written in an unearthly tongue. I could tell that there was something glorious within my reach, if I only knew how to get there.

I didn't feel like teaching myself how considering I had stuff like TF2 just sitting there asking me to sap various sentries and such.

Which I might add is done by pressing "2" and then clicking on said sentries

Instead of pressing "2" then "S" then "P" then scrolling over to the sentry and performing some arcane keyboardic ritual just to put the danged thing on a sentry and get killed by a pyro

matthias00 on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I know there is a tradition to uphold in roguelikes for using ASCII characters to represent stuff, but I feel like Dwarf Fortress would be much more accessible if they'd just draw up a tileset and some icons and use that instead.

Edit: Oh, hey, there are tilesets for Dwarf Fortress. Maybe I should try one out.

Ten on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    There's another roguelike called Incursion that's supposedly pretty good. It uses D&D 3.5E rules, I think.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh god, I am playing Incursion. This is so damn complex! Crawl has NOTHING on this :( It's like going to the deep end of a pool when you only have experience in puddles :(

edit: i think puddle treading is a feat in this game, i should try getting that to see if it helps

edit 2: You see a muckdweller

*fight for one round* LOW HEALTH WARNING

Upon appraisal, you realise he is a Muckdweller Chieftain

*dead*

zanmatto on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Getting a nice tileset, and using the dwarf fortress wiki extensively makes shit soooo much easier.

does anyone know what this tileset is called, or where to find it?
    Graphic.jpg

L|ama on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    Getting a nice tileset, and using the dwarf fortress wiki extensively makes shit soooo much easier.

does anyone know what this tileset is called, or where to find it?
    Graphic.jpg

I used to have that one, or one that is a combination of that plus some other tileset. But no I don't remember.

Look for tilesets on the wiki, it generally has a picture next to the name of the tileset.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    StealtharcadiaStealtharcadia Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh man, Dwarf Fortress... I could write a book based on my two fortresses and many poor, poor adventurers.

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wanted to like Dwarf Fortress. I really did. But after digging some holes in the ground and setting stockpiles I couldn't get the dwarves to do shit.

It makes me sad to read DF tales of failures on a grand scale.

:(

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png