As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Drawing music

GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
This is gonna sound like an odd request, but I like to draw in my spare time, and was wondering if there was any music that goes along well with the experience.

Just a question for any artist out there.

Godfather on

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I would suggest something ambient or instrumental only without vocals or sparse lyrics, so you could concentrate better on drawing. I always have something playing in the background when I'm painting. As for specific suggestions it really depends on what type of genres you normally listen to

Zavian on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Thievery Corporation, Yo-yo Ma (classical violin player), James Newton Howard (Batman Begins OST, specifically), Shadow of the Colossus OST, Homeworld OST, Agnus Dei (opera-like, has a track on the homeworld ost), Origa (lyrical, but not in English, and her voice is really soothing).

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2006
    "Rossz Csillag Allat Született" by Venetian Snares is an amazing album which mixes IDM and hungarian classical music, and if I ever listen to music while drawing, it's either that or "Unearthed" by E.S. Posthumus. I find that some sort of classical music is conducive, but a lot of time it needs to be coupled with something energetic.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    I use Boards of Canada.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Thievery Corporation, Yo-yo Ma (classical violin player), James Newton Howard (Batman Begins OST, specifically), Shadow of the Colossus OST, Homeworld OST, Agnus Dei (opera-like, has a track on the homeworld ost), Origa (lyrical, but not in English, and her voice is really soothing).

?

Yo-Yo Ma plays the cello.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    At work I usually play techno... or Japanese rap.

Nobody likes my playlist.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Anything that gets you cranking out the product. I find that sometimes music with lyrics distracts more than helps, but whatever works for you.

Personally, I like Beethoven, DJ Tiesto, Pachelbel's Canon in D, Kronos Quartet, maybe some underground hip hop when I'm drawing dudes messing each other up.

The Cow on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zavian wrote:
    I would suggest something ambient or instrumental only without vocals or sparse lyrics, so you could concentrate better on drawing. I always have something playing in the background when I'm painting. As for specific suggestions it really depends on what type of genres you normally listen to

Would the Pat Metheny Group fit this bill?

Also, I sometimes listen to the 4th movement of New World Symphony whenever I draw something in a fight scene, but that probably won't cut the mustard. I'm gonna look up DJ Tiesto now, as i'm a fan of that kind of music. What are his biggest hits by the way?

Godfather on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Godfather wrote:
    I'm gonna look up DJ Tiesto now, as i'm a fan of that kind of music. What are his biggest hits by the way?

My favorites seem to be at the start of his albums, as he has some of the most kick-ass intro tracks (usually long, too). I love "Forever Today" from his album Just Be. Another great track is "Magik Journey" from In My Memory. I'd really recommend grabbing both of those albums. Also, his In Search Of Sunrise series is quite excellent. I've got all five.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sigur Ros

RubberAC on
  • Options
    A-RodA-Rod Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Satriani?

A-Rod on
  • Options
    drxand?drxand? Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    DNB
    \\
    black sun empire
    infected mushroom
    <3

trance is wonderful too

pretty much anything without lyrics works for me though, cause lyrics make me want to listen with more intensity

drxand? on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Huh. Tiesto made a trance version of POTC.

It's not half bad to boot.

Godfather on
  • Options
    The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You can try the post-rock thread - Godspeed You Black Emperor is particularly nice. My favorites are Providence and East Hastings. The music is extremely good at sneaking up on you.

The Cow on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Godfather wrote:
    Huh. Tiesto made a trance version of POTC.

It's not half bad to boot.

i have heard this
    its fun, so i concur

drxand? on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    depends

for me, if i am totally repping the fucking streets and tagging in my sketchbook, i need to listen to hip hop and the like

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    zenonzenon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I use Boards of Canada.
    That, plus Squarepusher and Aphex Twin for me.

zenon on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    contraband wrote:
    depends

for me, if i am totally repping the fucking streets and tagging in my sketchbook, i need to listen to hip hop and the like

you dont have to listen to hiphop to rep the streets and tag in sketchbooks, i usually dont listen to any music when i tag sketchbooks, or the streets.

TAG

totally all about the handstyles

ps. what do you write

drxand? on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    A buddy of mine had created some great stuff while listening to The Sea and Cake.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png