As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me select a quality trackball

IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
I've been using Logitech TrackMan Wheels for a long time, but lately I've realized their durability is terrible; I don't even do really heavy gaming, but the buttons keep wearing out rapidly.

I don't need a gaming input device, it doesn't need to have 10,000,000 mickeys of sensitivity or anything fancy. I'm just looking for an ergonomic trackball with a clickable wheel that won't need replacement annually.

Suggestions?

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
IceBurner on

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »
    I've been using Logitech TrackMan Wheels for a long time, but lately I've realized their durability is terrible; I don't even do really heavy gaming, but the buttons keep wearing out rapidly.

I don't need a gaming input device, it doesn't need to have 10,000,000 mickeys of sensitivity or anything fancy. I'm just looking for an ergonomic trackball with a clickable wheel that won't need replacement annually.

Suggestions?

Heh, good luck. :( I have found that trackballs are getting harder and harder to come by.

However, if you can find a Microsoft Explorer Trackball I have used one for YEARS and it's been excellent. The copper inside the the cable broke after maybe 6 years but I spliced a new USB cable on it and it continues to work perfectly for me.
    411W31T91DL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

If you prefer a thumb control like the Logitech line, Microsoft also put out a standard Trackball that I owned for some time and it was also very good.
    410QW4Q0WAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    First and last word in trackballs is Kensington.

I use a Expert Mouse, and it's a sex-machine.

http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html

K64325-17736.jpg

Granted, it doesn't have a click-wheel, but the scroll-ring is VASTLY better, IMO. Plus, it's got four buttons, so you can probably just re-assign the scroll-click to one of those.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've been using one of these for three years every day at work without any problems:

logitech-cordless-trackman-optical.jpg

It is also a Logitech (Logitech Cordless TrackMan Optical), of course, but the build quality does not seem to be bad at all. At least I have not had any problems with the buttons during three years of heavy use. On the other hand, if you are looking for a trackball where you manipulate the ball with your thumb, this thing is obviously not for you....

Lodbrok on