As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Messenger Bag?

KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Over the course of the last year or so I have slowly replaced most of my in-town transportation with bike riding, but now I would like to start cutting out trips to the grocery store in my car as well by investing in a decent messenger bag. I've been browsing around Amazon.com today but really have no idea as to what it is I'm supposed to be looking for. Any suggestions?

KyleWPeterson on

• Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, just off the bat. Unless you (a) eat like a bird, or (b) intend on going to the grocery store every day, a messenger bag will not be big enough to hold your groceries.

oldsak on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I know I'm not going to be able to bring home a grocery cart's worth of stuff, but sometimes I just need to get one or two things from the store and it feels like a waste to drive all of that way for some bananas and chicken breast.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    oldsak wrote: »
    Well, just off the bat. Unless you (a) eat like a bird, or (b) intend on going to the grocery store every day, a messenger bag will not be big enough to hold your groceries.

You'd be surprised. A large Timbuk2 is bigger in volume than the backpack I take to the shops.

To the OP, Timbuk2 are generally well regarded, but I don't have any direct experience of them. The important thing is that whatever you get has an auxiliary strap so that the bag doesn't move around on your back.

japan on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What's your budget? Crumpler makes excellent stuff and I've heard excellent things about Timbuk2 bags. I myself sport a Victorinox laptop bag when I'm in the mood to do so, and it's lovely. Lowepro also make some non-photo bags, and they've become my exclusive source for camera equipment lugging bags - the build quality is excellent.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I use a Chrome. It's comfortable, keeps stuff dry when it's raining, and costs a bunch.

zilo on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have an WW2 Army Courier/Messenger bag I got from an Army Surplus store. I love it.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have also been contemplating buying a bag for my bike to be ready for riding around on campus come spring. I have an LL Bean bag now that's just not up to my needs (one big pocket and some awkward-to-access pockets on the sides, and the strap sucks), and the "Canvas Utility Bag" from Thinkgeek that's nice, but not large enough for carting around my laptop, notebook, textbook, etc.

From what I've gathered from other threads that have been made on this topic, Timbuk2 and Chrome are the two big ones, with Crumpler a little farther down the line. I'm looking at Chrome more right now.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    When I was shopping around for a messenger bag I ended up getting this one from ebags after researching ratings a lot.

I've had it for 2 years now and it's been awesome, it's -huge-, deceptively so, you wouldn't believe the amount you can cram into it. The only downside is that once you've flipped it open it has an orange inside which I'm not too keen about, but that one color thing is my only complaint.

Hypatia on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i've been through a few of these bags, and these ones from dickie's always last the longest
    614.jpg
    DON'T get one with plastic clips attaching the strap to the bag, they always break and become unusable.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Every messanger bag thread I read, I always make sure to plug Chrome.

IMG_2128.jpg

I've had one of these for a year, and the durability, design, and capacity is amazing.

AlexBagBack.jpg
    Not only are they completly waterproof, but they seem damm near bottomless (I can fit an entire suitcase of beer in mine). They're a little pricey, but they have a lifetime waranty. If anything happens to it, ship it back and they'll ship you a new one.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like my Timbuk2 bag.

I got the small, and it could hold a couple of things; your bananas and breasts, and probably a loaf of bread or something. Whatever would fit in a standard plastic bag.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i would just get some panniers for your bike, it sucks carrying an extra heavy load in a messenger bag

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SaarSaar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have a Timbuk2 bag and after 10 years af daily use it's in excellent condition. Aside from being dirty as hell, only the water-proof inner lining shows minor wear near the stitching.

I can't speak for Chrome, but I've never seen a messenger use one and the added weight of a seat belt clasp seems foolish. Not mention the button accidently being pushed and your cargo falling on to the street.

Saar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Saar wrote: »
    I can't speak for Chrome, but I've never seen a messenger use one and the added weight of a seat belt clasp seems foolish. Not mention the button accidently being pushed and your cargo falling on to the street.
    A.) the buckle weighs next to nothing, and is a godsend when you have the thing fully loaded and you dont want to have to pull the bag over your head.
    B.) the bag comes with a strap that goes under your arm to secure the bag and keep it from moving while riding the bike, which also keeps the bag from heading to the floor if the button is engaged (and trust me, the only time it'll acidently get engaged is from someone walking up and poking it when you're standing. The thing doesn't come unlatched randomly)

I'm not a Courier or anything, but I can honestly say that for the money a Chrome bag is going to be your best investment. Extremely durable, lifetime waranty, and (gasp!) made in america. The only downside to the bag is the fact that there's not alot of orgnization to it in the main compartment, it's just one giant section. Which if you're going to the store is actualy pretty perfect.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I have an WW2 Army Courier/Messenger bag I got from an Army Surplus store. I love it.
    Seriously, this.
    I think mine cost something like $6, is made of heavy canvas with leather straps/metal buckles and can fit the equivalent of a full paper sack's worth of groceries.

I can't fathom spending $140 for something that functions identically.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Jokerman wrote: »
    B.) the bag comes with a strap that goes under your arm to secure the bag and keep it from moving while riding the bike, which also keeps the bag from heading to the floor if the button is engaged (and trust me, the only time it'll acidently get engaged is from someone walking up and poking it when you're standing. The thing doesn't come unlatched randomly)

Hey I bet that's why it is used in cars!

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Just remember, it's a one time investment if you get a chrome

Jokerman on
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have tried lots of bags and have used a Jandd bag, daily, for the last five years. I use it to haul all my junk around(6-10 pounds), but if I were a daily bike commuter, I would use a rack and paniers(Jandd also makes panniers)

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Just remember, it's a one time investment if you get a chrome
    Yeah, I am definitely taking that in to account. Thanks to everyone for helping me out; I'll definitely be making a choice here later this week.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TimBuk2 is the stardard high-quality messenger bag, but I've heard a lot of good things about the chrome bags as well. They don't have as much of a well-established reputation compared to TimBuk2, but everyone I've talked to that has one loves theirs.

matthias00 on