As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

UK uni info. 2nd and 3rd year guys help

JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I think I've fucked up my finances/tuition fees. I've not filled out some forms at the right time, and I've got a whole bunch of papers I cant make head nor tail of but seem to be demanding me money. I doubt anyone here is an expert on this kind of thing so I just have a couple questions for any 2nd 3rd year guys here.

1. We pay the old 2005 system fees right? Around £1200 each year?

2. Does my LEA come into this in any way? Did your uni just say "cool, you're a 2nd year student, you pay £1200. In you go"...or was there something to do with LEA support as well?

Jeedan on

• Options
    HikkinsHikkins Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Jeedan wrote:
    1. We pay the old 2005 system fees right? Around £1200 each year?

2. Does my LEA come into this in any way? Did your uni just say "cool, you're a 2nd year student, you pay £1200. In you go"...or was there something to do with LEA support as well?

1. Yes, we do.

2. To my knowledge, although it's somewhat limited, I'm pretty sure your LEA doesn't come into it, apart from when you applied for your first year after college. I could be wrong though.

Hikkins on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The gist of my problem is this:

I didn't fill out my student finance info when I got it in the post. Stupidly. I thought it was only for loans and grants, and as I didn't need a loan and am not eligable for a grant I didnt touch it the papers.

My college seems to be hitting me up for £3000. Checking the fees leaflet I see this passage.

"RETURNING STUDENTS RECEIVING SUPPORT FROM THEIR LEAS
    blah blah, pay a max of £1259

RETURNING INDEPENDANT STUDENTS
    who do not recieve LEA fee support pay the full £3000

I'm like, wtf. I thought I just paid the £1200, no one said anything about LEA support.

And looking through the forms I left untouched all thouse months ago, nothing back then seemed to say anything about LEA support either. The closest I can find is "higher education grant, up to £1000" (which I applied for last year and got denied I recall) Nowhere does it say. "Oh by the way 2nd years, you need LEA support or else your college will hit you up for the full £3000"

Jeedan on
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Your best bet is to go and have a talk with your finance department at Uni, they deal with this sort of thing all the time.

Ashaman42 on