As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Intermittent internet failure

QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
At first I just thought it was our ISP (Comcast), but now I'm beginning to doubt that. For the past few days our internet will "shut-down" at random several times per day. I put "shut-down" in quotes because according to my Network Settings and routers we're still connected, but Firefox will give me the '----.com cannot be found' message. I have no idea what this could be..so any help you guys could offer would be highly appreciated! :) Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
QuarterMaster on

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Have you tried resetting your cable modem? Does the lights blink on your Comcast cable modem?

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It could be a DNS problem.

To test this, next time your connection is "down" go into a command prompt (Start menu, choose "Run..." and type "cmd" and hit OK) and type in "ping 4.2.2.2" and hit enter. If you get responses, your connection is working.

If you are still unable to reach websites while getting responses you should change your DNS settings on your router and/or computers. I just stumbled upon www.opendns.com which seems to be pretty cool. Alternatively you can use 4.2.2.2 as a primary DNS server and it should work fine.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream