As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Man of the Year: Barack Obama

HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled ManRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
TIME Magazine has just announced their Person of the Year for 2008. Rather unsurprisingly, they have chosen President-Elect Barack Obama.

obama_cover.jpg

Main article is here. Last year's Person of the Year was Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The four runners-up are
  • Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson
  • French President Nicolas Sarkozy
  • Alaska Governor Sarah Palin
  • Chinese filmmaker and director of the opening ceremonies for the 2008 Olympic Games Zhang Yimou

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
Harrier on

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    palin?

really?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm filled with surprise. Also, Hank Paulson, really? Palin I guess I could see, but Paulson fucked up pretty hard early on in the financial crisis and has been barely treading water since then.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This was the correct choice.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Surely the runners up are jokes?

And the winner was sort of inevitable. Does anybody doubt it would've been the other guy if he'd won?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    And while the Olympic opening ceremonies were certainly impressive, they merit being considered for person of the year in and of themselves? Weren't people crippled during the performance, let alone the fact that it would be a sad commentary one the rest of the world if orchestrating one performance is better than anything anyone else did for the entire year.

werehippy on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Time Magazine continues to pretend it still has relevance. More at eleven.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Remember that the Person of the Year Award describes influence and is not a judgment on if the person did a good job. So Paulson and Palin were pretty important figures, even if they were a fuckup and a joke respectively.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, Palin and Paulson I can see. I think I remember from the last time this came up that they choose people who were important despite sucking. Like, they sucked so monumentally that they screwed up things on a national scale.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, Palin and Paulson I can see. I think I remember from the last time this came up that they choose people who were important despite sucking. Like, they sucked so monumentally that they screwed up things on a national scale.

Yeah it doesn't necessarily mean they did anything particularly good, they just choose the most impactful people of the past year.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't help but agree with the choices of Palin and Paulson for runners-up. Whether they were effective, or contributed to the world in a positive capacity, is certainly debatable. But they did contribute mightily to the national discourse this year.

Palin is the Christian Right incarnate, the crystallization of everything that's percolated in the grassroots of the Republican Party since Ronald Reagan debuted the Moral Majority.

Meanwhile, our financial system has virtually lived and died by the breath that leaves Paulson's lips, and he has substantially increased the power and visibility of the Treasury Department. It's now one of the 'big Cabinet posts' in the national mind's eye, as big as Defense and State. You couldn't really say that before.

Sarkozy and Yimou are more debatable, but they have also had noteworthy impacts on the world this year. Sarkozy in particular has pulled off the unlikely job of making France relevant again.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yeah it doesn't necessarily mean they did anything particularly good, they just choose the most impactful people of the past year.
    Yet they didn't pick Osama Bin Laden in 2001. I guess he didn't have an impact that year. And who could forget their ridiculous "you" cover.

I'll join in the opinion that Time's Man of the Year competition has become pathetic and irrelevant.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Time Magazine continues to pretend it still has relevance. More at eleven.

No, I don't even think they're trying anymore.

moniker on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    Harrier wrote: »
    I can't help but agree with the choices of Palin and Paulson for runners-up. Whether they were effective, or contributed to the world in a positive capacity, is certainly debatable. But they did contribute mightily to the national discourse this year.

Palin helped contribute to Obama winning in a near-landslide. That's positive.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Richy wrote: »

Yet they didn't pick Osama Bin Laden in 2001. I guess he didn't have an impact that year. And who could forget their ridiculous "you" cover.

I'll join in the opinion that Time's Man of the Year competition has become pathetic and irrelevant.

yea, that "you" cover was retarded. I could barely see myself in those cheap things.

The only reason I see Sarkozy getting runner up is the fact that he married a model. Other than that I don't see it.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    tallgeeze wrote: »

yea, that "you" cover was retarded. I could barely see myself in those cheap things.

The only reason I see Sarkozy getting runner up is the fact that he married a model. Other than that I don't see it.

He was the President of the EU this year, right?

moniker on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    More like Barack Hussein Osama m i right?

Quid on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This choice was obvious.

Really, after they picked Putin last year I just gave up on Time. If I conspire and murder, will you put me on the cover of a magazine too?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    moniker wrote: »

He was the President of the EU this year, right?

Probably.

He made headlines by marrying a model and some Canada radio guy impersonating him while pranking Palin.

This choice was obvious.

Really, after they picked Putin last year I just gave up on Time. If I conspire and murder, will you put me on the cover of a magazine too?

Who said that Man of the Year had to be a good guy?

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This choice was obvious.

You do realize that Stalin and Hitler were men of the year, too. Right?

moniker on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    This choice was obvious.

I'm just going to sit back and wait for the comparisons to start pouring in from the crazies.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Obama is a given. Next year will be much more interesting...

My crystal ball says it'll be Putin and how he took advantage of an Obama administration.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This choice was obvious.

No one. This is my own personal metric for the magazine. Me, I stop paying attention when media outlets start idealizing people like Putin. The man has done nothing that would make me want to put him on a pedastal.

Yep. I would've stopped reading the magazine then too, but I wasn't in any kind of position to make that decision, my parents not even being alive and all.

I also figured they changed writers and editorial staff a few times since then. Maybe I was mistaken.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the "Man of the Year is the most influential/impactful person, not necessarily the best and most awesome person" caveat needs to go in the OP in big letters.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pretty damn inevitable and pretty irrelevant.

Every elected US President has been picked at least once since the award was invented (this goes back to FDR, who didn't get one in his 2nd term but did twice in his first and once in his third and does not include unelected Ford but does include LBJ).

The last winners have been Putin (dictator), "You" (stupid gimmick), "The Good Samaritans" (stupid gimmick), W (worst President ever), The American Soldier (gimmick, pandering tripe), The Whistleblowers (gimmick), Rudy (shitty mayor whose city was attacked), W (worst President ever), Bezos (made lots of $ in the .com boom), and Ken Starr (wasted two years of the federal governments time in a bald faced partisan attack)/Bill Clinton(mandatory, was ineffective because the only thing people were doing in DC was talking about him sticking a cigar in an intern). As a list its pretty nonsensical.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This choice was obvious.

No one. This is my own personal metric for the magazine. Me, I stop paying attention when media outlets start idealizing people like Putin. The man has done nothing that would make me want to put him on a pedastal.

Yep. I would've stopped reading the magazine then too, but I wasn't in any kind of position to make that decision, my parents not even being alive and all.

I also figured they changed writers and editorial staff a few times since then. Maybe I was mistaken.

The editorial staff and writes have changed since then, but the purpose of the 'Person of the Year' has not.

moniker on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I feel like they should have waited until he actually had some time in the White House, see if he really is as great as people think he is. All he's done so far is win an election.

Smurph on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    On the plus side, the interview is reasonably interesting.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Smurph wrote: »
    I feel like they should have waited until he actually had some time in the White House, see if he really is as great as people think he is. All he's done so far is win an election.

His very campaign mobilized a political movement and inspire people around the world. He's already had a profound impact on the world, moreso than any other single person last year.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This choice was obvious.

So how about if we had an award for "Worst Human Being in Modern History"? Would we have to disqualify all the folks like Hitler and Stalin and Mao because to recognize their horrors would be "putting them on a pedestal"?

Don't be a doof. Recognizing that someone had a profound effect on the world is not the same as idealizing him. It's not even close.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Not many people seem to understand the point of Time's Person of the Year. If someone has had a tremendous impact on the world in the year, they are eligible. It doesn't matter if it was a negative or positive (or mixed) impact. If someone has had a negative impact on the world, is it wrong to acknowledge it?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's a pretty clear "damned if you do, damned if you don't." If they hadn't chosen Obama, everyone would have been, "OK, but how could you not have picked Obama?!" When they did pick Obama everyone goes "Whoopdee do, big surprise." Not surprising, really - i can't think of anyone that would come close; the runners-up are way behind.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    It's a pretty clear "damned if you do, damned if you don't." If they hadn't chosen Obama, everyone would have been, "OK, but how could you not have picked Obama?!" When they did pick Obama everyone goes "Whoopdee do, big surprise." Not surprising, really - i can't think of anyone that would come close; the runners-up are way behind.

It's more just them being damnded because they're Time. No matter what they do anymore, the appropriate response is 'whoopdee do.'

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This choice was obvious.

Which media outlets idealize people like Putin outside of the country they are running?

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

I think Paulson isn't that far behind. The bailout was a pretty major event, and he was basically the face of it. It will have an influence on the financial world for years to come.

Smurph on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I stopped reading Time after their abysmal end of/best of the Millennium series. Obama seems like a pretty normal choice though, given how often he has appeared in world newspaper headlines this year.

Edit - That "idealising" Putin comment also confuses me. Is he talking about the occasional Oddly Enough story when Putin gets barechested or saves someone from a tiger?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Time Magazine is pathetic and irrelevant.

When Time Magazine went to glossy print it erased the last use the magazine had - toilet paper.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I find it odd that they picked Palin and not...you know...McCain, especially given that nobody outside Lower Caribou Falls ever heard of her before the summer.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Palin was more newsworthy than McCain though, even if it was only for about 4 months.

Scooter on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    I find it odd that they picked Palin and not...you know...McCain, especially given that nobody outside Lower Caribou Falls ever heard of her before the summer.

It is odd but you will see Sarah Palin as Women of the Year in 2012.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Time Magazine is pathetic and irrelevant.

When Time Magazine went to glossy print it erased the last use the magazine had - toilet paper.

Hey, Time Magazine still serves the important function of sitting in waiting rooms and not being a Women's Health magazine.

jothki on