As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mad World (Wii) - Holiday Trailer, preview and pics

XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Dunno if this was posted here yet. Awesome new trailer for Mad World. IGN mirror here.

Preview and pics.
MadWorld
Format: Nintendo Wii
Developer: Platinum
Publisher: Sega
Genre: Action

What's black, white and red all over?
It's a brave developer that turns around and swims against the tide that is mainstream gaming. In a world where My Little Fluffy Bunnyz 7 and Dr Mishimoshi's Toilet Training are the accepted norm rather than an unfortunate exceptions, it comes down to a brave few to save the Wii from certain death by cute animal-induced suffocation.

Nintendo does its part, granted, and recent announcements prove there are plenty of appealing games on the way. Platinum Games is a special case though. Formed by ex-Clover employees (a Capcom-funded outfit), Platinum's staff can boast to have brought about such classics as Viewtiful Joe and Okami in their time. Now a fully independent developer, the PG crew haven't lost sight of what it is they do best: that is, stylised games that ooze gameplay.

MadWorld is the company's first release and it's one that's already courting controversy. In an attempt to get there first with the big story, one of the UK's leading newspapers has already made it quite clear what it thinks of the game despite knowing nothing about the game itself. But we're not here to talk politics or accuse certain newspapers of being sensationalist, reader-grabbing desperados. We're just here to set the record straight. We recently flew out to Platinum's offices in Osaka, Japan. We've actually played it and, believe it or not, we're responsible adults too so we'd be the first (well, ok, maybe the ninth or tenth) people to say whether we thought MadWorld was a moral outrage. And guess what: it isn't. What it is though, is an awful lot of fun.

MadWorld puts you in control of a beefcake by the name of Jack. Simply put, he's built like a brick outhouse and can look after himself. Jack finds himself in the unfortunate predicament of being a contestant on a games show called Death Watch. We don't know why he's there and know nothing about Jack himself but executive producer Atsushi Inaba assures us we'll learn more along the way. Think Running Man meets X Factor meets Resident Evil 4 and you'll be some way to understanding the nature of the show as Jack uses whatever means necessary to score big and stay in the game.

Scoring points involves killing the thugs and goons who inhabit the show's open areas. A straightforward kill is kids' stuff though and the more inventive your method of execution the more points you'll score.

Don't Mess With Jack
Everything around you is there for the purposes of inflicting pain. Buses are parked up with metre-long spikes on their sides. Industrial sized, wall-mounted fans buzz in anticipation. Vast neon signs beg to electrocute bodies. Giant clothes presses turn ominously. Rooms full of meat hooks glimmer menacingly. You get the drift, right? But that's the obvious stuff and you won't get anywhere near as many points as you will by being inventive and inflicting chain pain.

For example, you're in a street with a statue head in a shop window, there's a flaming barrel by the road side and at the end of the street there's an industrial sized rubbish bin with a heavy (and open) lid. You could pick the items up and throw them at an enemy. Big deal. You could punch the enemy into the bin. Yawn... that's so 'some other game'. Why not uppercut the enemy so that they're stunned. Then you can pick up the large, hollow statue's head and pop it on the enemy so that it covers his upper body, restricting his arms. Then you can pick him and his big head up and dump them head-first into the flaming barrel. Toasty. Now you can throw the fiery threesome at the bin. The force of the throw will cause the lid to slam shut, chopping the enemy in half. Now that, dear readers, will earn you serious points.

Another example involves yet more random items but this time you have to go out of your way to find them. Popping a large tyre over an enemy will immobilise them but only for a short period of time. There's nothing else in the immediate area so by the time you've carried the enemy anywhere he's broken free. The trick is to carry the tyre to the quayside and then whack it over someone's head. With the enemy stuck fast you can grab the nearby 'Stop! No Diving!' sign and spear it through his head.

Again, we hasten to add that this is all extremely tongue-in-cheek. Your goon of a victim meanwhile, is staggering around. You can now pick him up, complete with tyre and road sign, and throw him into a rose bush (a huge wall covered in razor sharp spikes) for sky-high rewards.

The Way You Move
You'll also get points for performing special moves such as the 'Centrivical Street Pizza', a move that sees you swinging enemies around like a hammer before launching them into whatever you see fit. There are plenty of standard moves too and each one is used for specific purposes. Simply hammering the A button will result in standard punches and classic 1-2 combos. Coming up behind an enemy and tapping A will see you performing an over-arm slam. You can also uppercut enemies, which is a great way to clear the immediate area or slam an enemy into a spike above you.

These moves will eventually kill your foes but if you want to do anything out of the ordinary to them you'll have to stun them first and this is where the headbutt comes in. For most enemies two headbutts is all it takes to stun them. Only in this state are you able to pick them up or place items over them.

Mad For It
Anyone who has been following MadWorld since it launched will also be aware of Jack's chainsaw. Indeed, the early trailers pretty much ram it down your throat. The saw comes courtesy of the B button and basically cuts everything in half. If you walk up to an enemy when they're stunned you can opt to perform a finishing move. One of these involves you thrusting the saw into an enemy, moving the Remote up and down and pressing B again to pull their hearts out.

Using it on regular enemies is overkill though, and besides, it'll overheat if you use it too much. Where it really comes into its own is against boss characters. One such thug goes by the name of Big Bully Crocker, an eight-foot tall beast of a man wielding a twin-blade chainsaw. The trick is to catch him unawares and attack from behind. More often than not he'll hear you coming though and you'll have to lock chainsaws. What follows is a mad waggling contest as you waggle the Remote and Nunchuk as fast as possible in order to overpower him. Get it right and you'll be given a brief window in which to tap and B and take his head off!

Right now then, it's all genuinely good fun. The only thing that does worry us is how quickly we're going to get bored of killing goons. It's almost like the game has been designed to be more of an arcade experience.

It's amazing in 20-minute chunks but will it all get a bit repetitive in long stints? With the game due out in just a few months' time, it won't be too long before we know for sure.

Tons of screenshots spoilered to save post space:
screenshot_14427.jpg

screenshot_14426.jpg

screenshot_14424.jpg

screenshot_14425.jpg

screenshot_14423-1.jpg

screenshot_14422.jpg

screenshot_14421.jpg

screenshot_14420.jpg

screenshot_14419.jpg

screenshot_14417.jpg

screenshot_14418.jpg

screenshot_14416.jpg

screenshot_14415.jpg

screenshot_14414.jpg

screenshot_14412.jpg

screenshot_14413.jpg

screenshot_14411.jpg

screenshot_14410.jpg

screenshot_14409.jpg

screenshot_14408.jpg

screenshot_14407.jpg

screenshot_14406.jpg

screenshot_14404.jpg

screenshot_14405.jpg

screenshot_14403.jpg

screenshot_14402.jpg

screenshot_14401.jpg

screenshot_14400.jpg

screenshot_14399.jpg

XiaNaphryz on

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    that new trailer rules.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This just keeps looking better and better for me. Hopefully the style won't melt my eyes if I play too long.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yeah, this game is going to be bad-ass

looking forward to using that giant car crusher

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Games like this and nmh don't make me fully regret getting a wii

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is so awesome.
    More often than not he'll hear you coming though and you'll have to lock chainsaws.

There's no way that would work and I don't even care.
    screenshot_14414.jpg

spidey19wx7.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is so awesome.
    More often than not he'll hear you coming though and you'll have to lock chainsaws.

There's no way that would work and I don't even care.

Chainsaw fencing, the new Olympic sport!

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    In theory it's cool, but sometimes it takes me a minute to figure out what's going on in stills of the game.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    In theory it's cool, but sometimes it takes me a minute to figure out what's going on in stills of the game.

Yeah, I would guess that's because they're stills, I haven't had any trouble seeing what's up in videos so far.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mblackwell wrote: »

Yeah, I would guess that's because they're stills, I haven't had any trouble seeing what's up in videos so far.

Every once in awhile I do. In general it makes me hope and prey that my eyes won't get raped too badly trying to play the game, because it does look cool.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm very much interested in this game, and its filters.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I am loving this game every time I see a new preview.

urahonky on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Honestly, I'd buy pretty much any modern black-and-white game. It's a weakness.

The fact this is from ex-Clover people, however...

Xagarath on