As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Golden Key International Honour Society?

KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I got an invitation to this thing, and I pretty much blew it off as spam or something. Then I got another one today confirming that I wanted to deny it and also offering me another chance to accept my invitation. It's basically an honor society that invites people in the top 15% of their class (college), but also charges a membership fee.

I just read up about it on wikipedia, and it seems like it could be helpful, but I'm still wary. Does anyone have any experience?

!! ! ! !!
Kealoha on

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Golden Key is a national honors society. Kind of like a fraternity for smart people. Every college campus has a different Golden Key chapter, and yours may be very involved or not so much. If you are asking if it is legit, the answer is yes.

If you are asking if it is helpful, the answer is, it depends. It would be an honor to list on your resume though.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is just my opinion, but I'd say that there are about 1,000 better uses for 75 bucks.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Scam. Even worse, smug self-congratulatory scam. Like Mensa, but even less useful unless you're a commerce or law student.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    Scam. Even worse, smug self-congratulatory scam. Like Mensa, but even less useful unless you're a commerce or law student.

But a legit scam... I mean, it is a legitimate organization. But, yeah... it's kind of like those poetry anthologies where they will publish your poem for like, 100 bucks.

And it really is only for the top 15% at any college... but I don't think it's worth it. No employer is going to look at it on your resume and hire you on the spot.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, the last two responses back up what I was thinking. For a brief moment in time I thought to myself, "Hm, that's a shiny little medallion and a fancy name. Maybe I should consider joining this."

In reality, I don't have the money to join anyway (atm) so it probably wouldn't have happened. But now I don't have to care about it at all.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bah, a real honor society doesnt need a membership fee.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Bah, a real honor society doesnt need a membership fee.

I assume you run those honor societies on hope and government cheese?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mostly government cheese.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Be prepared to be receiving these goddamn letters all through college, I did. Never bothered, and it didn't seem to do shit for my friend who did sign up.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Uh...the legit honors organization is Phi Beta Kappa, if you're in the united states. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phi_Beta_Kappa. They don't charge anything, though they will try to get you to buy tchotkes. I wouldn't bother with this Golden Key thing. If you're not American, I dunno what the english equivalent is, but geting a first in one's degree is as obvious a signal of your success as getting latin honors is - cum laude, etc. If you want to send me $50, though, I will send you a key and a certificate acknowledging your achievement. The key is to my heart.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Golden Key is international. They're present in a whole lot of countries. I joined up, and all I've done with it is put it on my resume. It is a once-off membership fee, they don't hit you up for anything after that. But as far as I can tell, like any networking thingamajig, you're only going to get out what you put into it. They have conferences where you can go hobnobbing with a bunch of other Golden Key members, and that'd be another good place to try to make business contacts as far as I can tell.

And as the Cat said, yes it is smug and self-congratulatory. I prefer to call them an international back-patters society; my own stupid joke but feel free to use it.

One more thing actually, I did hear an employer (friend-of-a-friend, not someone to whom I was applying) mention that he looked to see if an applicant was a Golden Key member. I know that's some tiny bit of anecdotal evidence from across the world, but there you go.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com