As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Have (no) Freeware, Will Travel

MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Flying tonight... taking a laptop with me. I'm looking for a few freeware games I can download to keep me busy. I have Toribash so far, but I play that so much... I'm not sure it's going to keep me entertained for the whole flight. Any other recommendations?

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
MayGodHaveMercy on

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cave Story
    Iji
    Dafoe adventure games (Five Days a Stranger, Seven Days a Skeptic, Trilby Files, Six Days a Sacrifice)
    Beneath a Steel Sky
    I Wanna Be The Guy
    Charles Barkley Shut Up And Jam Gaiden

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dwarf fortress. If its your kind of thing it will keep you entertained for the whole flight on its own.. And the next few months.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Awesome, thank you. Keep 'em coming. :)

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Battle For Wesnoth. Freeware turn based strategy game.

It's really awesome at first, but that only lasts for a few weeks. Then the relatively uncomplex combat and build systems sort of begin to expose themselves and you realize that it's less of a strategy game and more of a really complex puzzle game where the goal is to just find the right solution for each map (at least on all of the higher difficulty maps). When you're starting out, and at least for a good little while, it's completely fucking rad though.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Actually, here's a free turn based strategy game overview. Some of it looks pretty promising, make sure you come back and post about which games you found to be the best:
    http://www.freewaregenius.com/2008/05/15/an-overview-of-free-turn-based-strategy-and-war-games/

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Amen on Battle for Wesnoth, Pheezer. That game is the king of my world. Mainly because once you've gotten through that first phase you talk about, you're ready to start playing multiplayer... and the multiplayer rocks all sorts of socks (when it doesn't crash, which they're improving on a lot).

There used to be a thriving Wesnoth multiplayer community here at the PA forums (that I was but one of)... and though it's died down, it could probably be *easily* resurged, if you find you get hooked on the plane ride and want to do some multiplayer when you get back. Hell, even just talking about it for this short post makes me want to get back into it.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mechcommander 2.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Castle of the Winds

MKR on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Beneath a Steel Sky that B:L mentioned is now free on GOG.com, even. So go there!

More options:

Chivalry is Not Dead
    Empyreal Nocturne
    Masq
    N

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Beneath a Steel Sky that B:L mentioned is now free on GOG.com, even. So go there!
    Lure of the Temptress is also available there. While it's not on gog.com, Flight of the Amazon Queen (another Revolution Software adventure game) is also freeware. You can download it from the ScummVM site, along with the ScummVM emulator needed to play it.

You can even download ScummVM for a number of smartphones. I usually make sure it's on my phone before a trip, along with the freeware adventure games they have available. That way if my laptop and DS both run out of juice, I've got a backup source of entertainment. Mind you, I've been taking some pretty epic long flights lately (Washington DC to Johannesburg, South Africa).

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Elona is pretty sweet.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    With Elona and especially Dwarf Fortress it seems you'd also want to download a copy of the wiki or else be totally lost.

TL DR on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Everything available from ABA Games. Crazy awesome shmups that can entertain for hours.

yalborap on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    With Elona and especially Dwarf Fortress it seems you'd also want to download a copy of the wiki or else be totally lost.

Yeah, trying to figure out Dwarf Fortress without a connection to the interwebs would be pretty painful.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Elona you might be able to figure out from the in-game opening tutorial (to some extent), but Dwarf Fortress will almost certainly require a copy of a tutorial from the wiki or elsewhere.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.