As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

'Unresponsive after a stroke'?

DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
My uncle had what turned out to be a pretty massive stroke about a week or so ago. Massive in the 'it will be years before he may be able to walk again' sense. This morning my mom called and said he was taken to the Lahey Clinic outside of Boston and is unresponsive. She doesn't have any futher information and I was wondering what unresposive after a stroke means in non-medical speak.

Thanks

Edit: He is also a diabetic, which I am sure is not helping.

"I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
DragonPup on

• Options
    Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My granddad (who's passed away for over a decade now) suffered from a massive stroke and he was debilitated for the rest of his life, which was a few years. He was unable to speak or do anything. He was almost in a vegetative state (but still somewhat lucid) and just thinking about it pisses me off.

You have my condolences and I hope that the doctors clarify the situation with your family.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    zz_tophatzz_tophat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Someone i know recently had a stroke, for a time he was "unresponsive" and the doctors said he would never recover. Then they came back some hours later and said that he was awake and could feel his left side (the side that was effected by the stroke). so... they were wrong.

however he is still having trouble talking and can't easily move the left side of his body but his facial muscles have started working again so it not longer sags.

when it comes to strokes you can't tell, at least not at first.

zz_tophat on
    My mission in life is to be BANNED not because I've broken a rule but because I've said something so mind blowing it BURNS DOWN TEH INTERNETS!
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My uncle just passed away. Thank you anyways.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    zz_tophatzz_tophat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I am sorry for your loss.

zz_tophat on
    My mission in life is to be BANNED not because I've broken a rule but because I've said something so mind blowing it BURNS DOWN TEH INTERNETS!
  • Options
    Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You have my condolences. I know what it's like.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    oneeyedjack909oneeyedjack909 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss. You have my condolences. Losing a loved one sucks.

In a medical sense unresponsiveness is measured in numbers 3 2 1 and 0. Alert and oriented times 3 is fully awake and talking. Probably what you are right now. This is A/O times 3. 2 is responsive to loud noise or light or something more drastic. Think deep sleep or really drunk. This is A/O times 2. 1 is reactive to painful stimulus. For us EMTs this means is they react to the injured area or what we refer to as a sternum rub. You basically rub your knuckles on their sternum up an down. If they react then they are A/O times 1. Unresponsive is when they react to none of the above.

oneeyedjack909 on
    "A mans first duty is to his conscience and honor"- Mark Twain

"Those who are willing to give up essential liberties for a little safety diserve neither liberty nor safety"-Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DragonPup wrote: »
    My uncle just passed away. Thank you anyways.

My dad went the same way, probably. Not even the brain stem was working anymore

MrDelish on