As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Take out those goddamn 88s soldier (FoW thread)((OP less terrible))

PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats.Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Critical Failures
NEW AND PRETTY

logo_top.jpg

Blatantly stolen from wikipedia
Flames of War (abbreviated as FoW) is a World War II tabletop miniatures wargame produced by the New Zealand company Battlefront Miniatures Ltd.

Flames of War allows players to wargame company level battles from the European and North African Theatres of World War Two, using 1/100 scale miniatures(15mm). In the 1st Edition rulebook basic army lists were provided for the mid-war period, while Battlefront published early and late war army lists on their website (subsequently these early and late war lists were removed). The 2nd Edition of the rulebook was published in 2006.
Gameplay takes place over a series of turns, with players alternating movement, shooting and close assault. This simple sequence of play, often called "I-Go, You-go", helps people who are unfamiliar with wargames or who are familiar with other games with a similar structure, such as Warhammer Fantasy Battles or Warhammer 40,000, to quickly learn the rules. The game is optimised for two players, although it can be played by a larger number of players grouped in teams.

Play revolves around company-level tactics, with each stand or element representing an infantry fire team (half-squad/section), an artillery piece and its crew, or a single vehicle (such as a tank, jeep, or armoured car). Air support is also available, in the form of fighters (like the Hawker Hurricane) and light bombers (like the Sturmovik), to players wishing to use it, with aircraft generally being represented by 1:144 scale models.

The main rulebook has numerous scenarios players can use for their games, from a simple all-out battle scenario to objective-taking missions. The army sourcebooks contain further scenarios, usually centered around events relevant to that particular book. Gameplay uses six-sided dice, and movement distances and weapon ranges are provided in both inches and centimeters.

Current army sourcebooks are based on particular campaigns and include lists for the German Wehrmacht (including the Deutsches Afrikakorps and non-Wehrmacht troops like the SS and Luftwaffe ground troops), the U.S. Army (including Rangers and Airborne units), the armies of Great Britain and the Commonwealth (India, Australia, Canada, South Africa, and New Zealand), the Red Army of the Soviet Union, the Italian army (including elite Bersaglieri and Paracudisti, regular Fucilieri, and fascist Blackshirts paramilitaries), as well as smaller nations such as the Hungarians, Finns, and Romanians. Sourcebooks have so far been restricted to the European Theater; Battlefront have indicated that future releases may include coverage of the Pacific Theater, but only after army lists and campaign supplements covering the early and late periods of fighting in Europe have been released.

Flames of War provides players who are interested in World War II wargaming but lack an in-depth knowledge of the period with a "one-stop shop". The rulebook and sourcebooks provide not only the rules of the game and scenarios to play but also background material on historical forces and battles and simple guides to organising, assembling, and painting miniature armies.

They have tanks
GBX14b.jpg

and Yankies
UBX01d.jpg

and Rommel too
GE885a.jpg

So, let's talk about this game and why I should play it.

PiptheFair on

• delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FoW is kickass. However, you have to really like painting minis, because FoW is much more paint-intensive than, say, 40K or Warmachine. Especially if you play Russians.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    FoW is kickass. However, you have to really like painting minis, because FoW is much more paint-intensive than, say, 40K or Warmachine. Especially if you play Russians.

I was leaning to DAK

which means brown and slightly less brown

PiptheFair on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FoW?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2008
    Flames of War; it's a WWII tabletop minis game.

And not the crappy WotC/Hasbro one.

delroland on
    edited December 2008
    FoW?

so I suppose I should do a proper op then, huh?

PiptheFair on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    FoW?

so I suppose I should do a proper op then, huh?

Yes please.

Inquisitor on
    edited December 2008
    op less terrible now

PiptheFair on
    edited December 2008
    Do the models come painted or do you paint them yourself? Cause man those look hard to paint.

Inquisitor on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You have to paint them. And they're itty bitty.

PolloDiablo on
    edited December 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Do the models come painted or do you paint them yourself? Cause man those look hard to paint.

they is teeny tiny

but they are pre-assmbled for the most part

the vehicles still have plenty of room for modding though

also, the vehicles are an airbrushing dream apparently

PiptheFair on
    edited December 2008
    This game looks pretty cool. I'd have no one to play it with though, but, I hope you have lotsa fun with it.

Inquisitor on
    edited December 2008
    This game looks pretty cool. I'd have no one to play it with though, but, I hope you have lotsa fun with it.

you can check to see if you have a club near you

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=99

PiptheFair on
    edited December 2008
    If you remember the old wargamers you see at gaming conventions with their WWI airplanes on collapsable antennas, well... FoW is what you guys will be playing at PAX 2055. :P

The people who play FoW are pretty serious about it, at least as far as I have seen. That's not to say they are assholes or anything; they are just committed.

delroland on
    edited December 2008
    FoW's minis are 1:100 scale and WH40K Epic's minis are 1:285 D:

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2008
    less talk of tininess, more discussion of why this game is awesome and I should play it

PiptheFair on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Because you can purge the world of Nazis, one base at a time

SJ on
    edited December 2008
    Bloody Nazis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpZ8EkK3eWY

So, do people play as the smaller armies like Finland and stuff? Wouldn't you kinda be outlcassed?

Inquisitor on
    edited December 2008
    If I remember correctly, the smaller armies are supplied with equipment from the larger armies but are generally less well-trained.

delroland on
    edited December 2008
    SJ wrote: »
    Because you can purge the world of Nazis, one base at a time

but what about the non-bad guy germans

PiptheFair on
    edited December 2008
    You can purge the world of ____, one base at a time

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2008
    the french

excellent

PiptheFair on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    the game seems very flexible, you want to roll any army of panzers backed up by 88's and thent oss in some air support, go to town the book / campaign books will show you how. If i had more disposable income id be all over this. The thought of rolling an russian tide with tanks just makes me giddy.

Also yes you can play some of the msaller less known armies, i know there are written rules / units of some of them. You just have to buy the specific comapagin / force book. I have hear nothing but good things about this game.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FoW is one of those games I've been looking at on and off for quite a while. I do like the idea of a relativly modern WWII game, but I already play too many as it is and I also have the "No one to play with" problem.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    edited December 2008
    Asher wrote: »
    FoW is one of those games I've been looking at on and off for quite a while. I do like the idea of a relativly modern WWII game, but I already play too many as it is and I also have the "No one to play with" problem.

I actually managed to find a group or two in my area, give that search thing he listed a shot.

Inquisitor on
    edited December 2008
    That still doesn't change the fact that I already play 4 tabletop wargames.

Asher on
    edited December 2008
    Asher wrote: »
    That still doesn't change the fact that I already play 4 tabletop wargames.

What four do you play?

Inquisitor on
    edited December 2008
    Warhammer, 40k, Warmachine and Battlefleet Gothic. Of course, I only play the first 3 with any regularity.

Asher on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's a pretty good following at my local game store. Strangely enough, it seems to usually be Italians vs. Russians.

PolloDiablo on
    edited December 2008
    Wait, so has the OP even thought about which army to use yet? Or are we just tempting him into blowing more money still? Either way I'm good.

SJ on
    edited December 2008
    If he hasn't picked he should definitely pick one of the more minor powers, at least not Germany or the USA. Bring some variety to the world.

Inquisitor on
    edited December 2008
    Well it kinda depends on the local metagame. We have a shitload of Russians and Germans around here, and some smattering of minor powers, but pretty much no one plays US (only solid US player we had, had to move due to his spouse PCS'ing).

Also, does anyone else's FoW regulars include a lot of military/ex-military guys? Mine sure as hell does.

SJ on
    edited December 2008
    Fow, just seems like a game that would attract X military. It looks cool as hell. I think sj, is right he should find out what the crowd at the Lgs play.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited December 2008
    Actually, he should definitely, beyond any shadow of a doubt, figure out what his local game store plays because it looks like the game is divided up into time periods (earlier, mid, and late war) and it would be silly of him to pick up the rulebook for the wrong time period.

Inquisitor on
    edited December 2008
    SJ wrote: »
    Wait, so has the OP even thought about which army to use yet? Or are we just tempting him into blowing more money still? Either way I'm good.

DAK

EDIT: also, the group in my area plays all 3 periods pretty regularly

PiptheFair on
    edited December 2008
    Actually, he should definitely, beyond any shadow of a doubt, figure out what his local game store plays because it looks like the game is divided up into time periods (earlier, mid, and late war) and it would be silly of him to pick up the rulebook for the wrong time period.

And by 2011 or so they'll also be doing pacific theater... :winky:

SJ on
    edited December 2008
    Queue shitty Call of Duty: World at War for Wii commercial: "You ahh... my enemy..."

delroland on
    edited December 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    Queue shitty Call of Duty: World at War for Wii commercial: "You ahh... my enemy..."

no

no

we do that outside

PiptheFair on
    edited December 2008
    anymore, it seems they are focusing more on mid to late war then anything.

Draeven on

edited December 2008
    yeah but that's when king tigers are available making it the best period

qed

PiptheFair on
    edited December 2008
    Draeven wrote: »
    anymore, it seems they are focusing more on mid to late war then anything.

That's because they only make stuff for mid war and late war... early war would've been prior to US involvement.

SJ on