As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PS3 Has Left The Building

Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually...{They/Them}Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
As in, the damn thing doesn't read discs anymore after only a year in operation. Figures, I leave the thing alone for four months, then just when I'm about to get Valkyria Chronicles, the console craps out on me.

Anyone know how long it takes Sony to get around to shipping out a new console?

Mx. Quill on

• WhifflebatWhifflebat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My 80g MGS4 bundle started to die 3 months after I bought it earlier this year (the GPU was corrupted). They were pretty helpful on the phone. A prepaid carton was sent to me, I bundled up my system and had a replacement console sent back. This all took 7 days (5 working days), though I do live close to one of Sony's repair depots. I was pretty disappointed that the system broke, but was pleasantly surprised on how fast Sony turned things around.

Whifflebat on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, I'm not too upset over the fact that it broke if it'll be a hasty repair, but I am quite annoyed that the stupid thing decides to do so two days before Christmas, when I was going to get the aforementioned game. Now it's gonna be taunting me and be all, "Nyah nyah, can't let you play that, Star Fox."

Mx. Quill on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    but I am quite annoyed that the stupid thing decides to do so two days before Christmas

well obviously this is a grand conspiracy reaching the highest echelons of sony computer entertainment and the American Federal Government to inconvenience your holiday season.

Buttcleft on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They tend to be pretty quick about it actually, though shipping it this time of year may prove difficult. One thing to make absolutely sure of is that they wipe your account from the old machine. This will make it so it won't count against one of your 5 console activations. Since you're getting disc errors, you should be able to access the XMB, right? If you can, I'd recommend transferring what saves you can to a thumb drive. (Alternatively, I've heard of some people removing their hard drives when they send it in for repairs, if you do this make sure that you tell the customer service rep that's your plan)

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mine was sent to Texas I believe, and I'm in Wisconsin. From the send out it really only took a week. I was insanely surprised at how quickly it came back.
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    They tend to be pretty quick about it actually, though shipping it this time of year may prove difficult. One thing to make absolutely sure of is that they wipe your account from the old machine. This will make it so it won't count against one of your 5 console activations. Since you're getting disc errors, you should be able to access the XMB, right? If you can, I'd recommend transferring what saves you can to a thumb drive. (Alternatively, I've heard of some people removing their hard drives when they send it in for repairs, if you do this make sure that you tell the customer service rep that's your plan)

You could do this, but the PS3 will automatically wipe the HDD when it detects that it's not the original system the HDD was in before. At least that's what I was told by everyone when mine broke.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Mine was sent to Texas I believe, and I'm in Wisconsin. From the send out it really only took a week. I was insanely surprised at how quickly it came back.
    Lord Yod wrote: »

You could do this, but the PS3 will automatically wipe the HDD when it detects that it's not the original system the HDD was in before. At least that's what I was told by everyone when mine broke.

Depending on the system you have (and this has changed over time) they may not replace your console, but instead repair the component. This would be something to ask the service rep about, I know a few people who have done this. The disc-read error is not the same as the thing bricking, after all.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, I already took care of the data. So I just need to contact Sony on the morrow about the repairs. Since it's out of the year long warranty by just a few days, I fully expect them to make me pay at least fifty dollars for the disc reading laser-thing.

Mx. Quill on
    edited December 2008
    Expect the repair to run about $150 or so.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    What?! That's just insane! I know they're losing money on every console sold, but to charge that much for a faulty piece of hardware that they themselves manufactured it crazy!

But I guess they would pull the, "Well, it's been in your possession for a year, so it obviously was you who broke it despite leaving the console in the same room hooked up to the same TV and barely, if ever, moved it," argument. Sigh. Guess there's nothing else that can be done, unless I want to dish out twice as much for a brand new console.

Mx. Quill on
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, sorry man. But like you said it's better than shelling out for a new one.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hear when you send it in, some folks just pop out their HDD. That way you don't have to back up your data, you don't have to remind them to wipe your old one - simple as pie.

And I have heard of the $150 thing, but it's usually connected to guys getting their 60 or 20 gigs repaired.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited December 2008
    Way to read the thread, Chance. :P

Why would the model have an effect on the price?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As in, the damn thing doesn't read discs anymore after only a year in operation. Figures, I leave the thing alone for four months, then just when I'm about to get Valkyria Chronicles, the console craps out on me.

Anyone know how long it takes Sony to get around to shipping out a new console?

They're amazingly quick. Mine died like, 8 days before MGS4, and I had it back in maybe 4 or 5. They received it only a day after I sent it, and sent the new one the same goddamn day. I was incredibly impressed.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited December 2008
    Well, isn't the 40GB no longer in production? Cause that's what I have, and fully believe they would attempt to squeeze more money out for the same exact disc drive just because of that.

Also, your sig and avatar are just making me think of the game I need to wait even longer to play, Yod.

Mx. Quill on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also, your sig and avatar are just making me think of the game I need to wait even longer to play, Yod.

Look at it this way
    At least you didn't, say, JUST beat Valkyria Chronicles, anxiously awaiting New Game+, when your PS3 stopped reading discs so you reformatted your hard drive thinking that was the problem and now you have a broken PS3 and no VC save and by default no New Game +, and are now taunted on a daily basis whenever you post
    That...that would surely suck to be that loser
    :(

Rent on
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would highly suggest backing up your data before sending it in. There is a good chance they will repair and send back your console to you but if they have to replace it reinserting that harddrive will format everything you have.

I've heard that it's possible to actualy back up by using a six to six usb cable and patching straight to a computer or laptop with enough harddrive space I personaly tried to use a 8gig thumb drive to back up my 60gig when upgradeing my hdd but was short by about 50gigs on space. But any usb storage device should be sufficient aslong as you've got room.

Also I tried to hook my 60gig directly to my pc but it wouldn't recognize it with out formating so I'll save you from trying that aproach.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, isn't the 40GB no longer in production? Cause that's what I have, and fully believe they would attempt to squeeze more money out for the same exact disc drive just because of that.

The 40gig hardware is the same for the 80gig & 160gig models. So it won't be that big of an issue.

Dark Shroud on
    edited December 2008
    I've heard that it's possible to recover your PSN on a different user. Is that so? Cause the only two games I have are Warhawk and Rock Band, and I only downloaded the three Warhawk expansions, Super Stardust, and Crash Commando. If I could recover the PSN ID, the data of those two games wouldn't really matter.

Edit: Aha! Under Network, there's an option of using an existing account. Alright, that works. I know if I were to use my parent's USB stick that they'd eventually delete it by accident. I don't care about losing my standings in Warhawk and Rock Band, just the 50 or so dollars I sunk into DLC.

Mx. Quill on
    edited December 2008
    I've heard that it's possible to recover your PSN on a different user. Is that so? Cause the only two games I have are Warhawk and Rock Band, and I only downloaded the three Warhawk expansions, Super Stardust, and Crash Commando. If I could recover the PSN ID, the data of those two games wouldn't really matter.

Edit: Aha! Under Network, there's an option of using an existing account. Alright, that works. I know if I were to use my parent's USB stick that they'd eventually delete it by accident. I don't care about losing my standings in Warhawk and Rock Band, just the 50 or so dollars I sunk into DLC.

Wait, you have to pay to redownload it?

Buttcleft on
  • skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    You can redownload anything as long as you have your PSN ID.

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
    edited December 2008
    No, you don't. But I was afraid that I would had I lost my account.

Mx. Quill on
    edited December 2008
    Oh okay then, Haha.

Buttcleft on
    edited December 2008
    Also, the shipping that Sony does for these things is really insanely fast. When I warranty'd mine, it was literally a week after I reported it that I got it back, it's the same system (or at least the same case).

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    edited December 2008
    Well, hopefully that follows through. Not sure if I could send it out today, though, given that it's Christmas Eve.

Mx. Quill on
    edited December 2008
    Hey, we win! We argued that, even though we purchased the PS3 on December 14th, 2007, that since it wasn't in use until the 25th (as the technician was able to check through my PSN account activation), that we should still be within the year-long warranty. And they conceded. They will repair it for free, and are also throwing in an extra month of warranty for the trouble. It'll take 3-5 days for the box to get here, then another 7-10 for them to fix it and send it back, so that puts us pretty much around my birthday on the seventh.

Mx. Quill on
    edited December 2008
    Nice! Congratulations on the free repair, hopefully it gets back to you in time to enjoy your bday.

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
  • SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but be sure to deauthorize your current ps3 from being tied to your PSN content before sending it out. You can redownload anything you've purchased on PSN. Hell, you can even legally share it with friends by giving them your psn id information. But this can only be done on up to 5 different systems. So be sure to deauthorize on your broken ps3 so that you still have 5 slots.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png