As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suggest me some old films?

drxand?drxand? Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
K, so recently i've been getting really into old cinema

the classics so to speak

i've watched casablanca, and a few marx bros movies, and have plans to see the maltise falcon ASAP

looking for stuff that is a must see from the late 20's - 50's hollywood

i know i could probably google up choices for myself, but i'd like to hear what the collective here has to input, as you're all a grand bunch filled to the brim with knowledges.

drxand? on

• Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    M (the 1931 one of course)

Virum on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sunset Boulevard is alright. It's about a down-and-out script writer who stumbles on an old washed-out actress who still has delusions of being famous, and the subsequent chaos that follows.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    King Kong (1933)

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The classic horror movies are always awesome, Dracula, Frankenstien, the invisible man, etc.

Dr. Strangelove is a little more recent in 1964 but it is voted like #3 comedy of all time.

Btw, go to Rotten Tomatoes to get some reviews on some films if you want.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

It is absolutely hysterical. Make sure to pay attention to Cary Grant's (Main character's) facial expressions. They're the best. I highly reccomment this movie. It's one of my favorites.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Day the Earth Stood Still - one of the original alien invasion movies.

The Great Escape (from 1963, but its still a classic) - Chicken Run was a parody of this.

Kriz on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I recommend reading the Maltese Falcon, too; the book is a lot darker. The original 'Wicker Man' is great.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Citizen Kane.

Everyone should watch it.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I just want to say that anything with Hitchcock's name on it rarely disappoints.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Great Race from the 60's. One of my favorite movies TODAY (in fact, I just watched it again last night). Pure hilarious (I AM PROFESSOR FATE!!) and has some mostly real fencing scenes.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Citizen Kane.

Everyone should watch it.

Godfather on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Virum wrote:
    M (the 1931 one of course)

One of my favs

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited November 2006
    I like Doris Day movies, particularly Pillow Talk, which starred her and Rock Hudson. It's a romantic comedy in an urban setting, and dirtier than you'd think.

Force of Evil is quite good. Its director was blacklisted right after it came out, and he didn't get to make any more movies. It's a crime/noir movie.

Double Indemnity is pretty good too. It's a suspense thriller about a murder/insurance scam.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Apartment is a very sweet and funny romantic comedy, and Some Like it Hot is absolutely hillarious.

Rear Window and Vertigo are two must-see thrillers.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I like Doris Day movies, particularly Pillow Talk, which starred her and Rock Hudson. It's a romantic comedy in an urban setting, and dirtier than you'd think.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking of Pillow Talk. It really is better than it sounds.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    All About Eve.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedBoySpeedySpeedBoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Errol Flynn is one of my favorite actors, so:
    The Adventures of Robin Hood - very witty dialogue, all around fun film, i love it
    Captain Blood - great pirate movie. great characters

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) - such a great ship movie. portrayl of Cpt. Bligh by Charles Laughton is the best.
    Julius Caesar - just watch it for Brando's performance if nothing else
    The Grapes of Wrath

SpeedySpeedBoy on
  • Options
    KraliasKralias Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Citizen Kane, definitely. One of the best movies ever made.

12 Angry Men is well made and enjoyable, and just feels like a 'classic' in the way Casablanca does.

On The Waterfront contains a magnificent performance by Brando, and one of the most quoted speeches in movies ever.

You mentioned the Maltese Falcoln already, but definitely a fantastic movie. Somebody else said 'M', if you like Maltese Falcoln 'M' is sort of its spiritual prequel, and imo a little bit better, though both are fantastic. If you get in to that Film Noir style, Double Indemnity and The Big Sleep, definitely.

Then there's the war movies, of course. Stalag 17 is a personal favourite, The Great Escape is a bit later but feels like a classic again, and I love Alec Guinness in The Bridge On The River Kwai.

If you feel like branching out past hollywood, definitely check out Kurosawa's Rashomon and Seven Samurai, Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast and Orpheus and De Sica's The Bicycle Thief and Umberto D. All have that 'classic' feel, and are some of the best movies ever made. Enjoy though!

Oh, and thanks for mentioning Arsenic and Old Lace, I had totally forgotten about that movie! :D Loved it as kid.

Kralias on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

It is absolutely hysterical. Make sure to pay attention to Cary Grant's (Main character's) facial expressions. They're the best. I highly reccomment this movie. It's one of my favorites.

Yes, yes. Sixty years later and they still haven't made a funnier movie about a pair of mass murderers. I love the Teddy Roosevelt impersonations.

M is good, as has been mentioned. Shit, I think everyone already got to my old faves.

Then there's The Searchers which is also a little more recent. John Wayne at his best, and it really does deserve most of its critical praise (I have some issues with a few scenes near the end, but meh).

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    bodiemabodiema Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kralias wrote:
    12 Angry Men is well made and enjoyable, and just feels like a 'classic' in the way Casablanca does.
    Seconded. I watched this earlier this year (the 1957 version with Henry Fonda). It seemed pretty original the way it's set up. Definitely see it.

bodiema on
  • Options
    drxand?drxand? Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ive seen a newer 12 angry men remake (im assuming remake, they were all based on the play right?) and it was alright

i suppose i might as well branch out from hollywood, but i have seen kurosawa's seven samurai and it is of course wonderful

as for hitchcock i think ive seen a few, but definately have seen vertigo

everything else gets me really excited to watch

i figure its time i broaden my horizons with the classics as i've kinda snubbed them in the past ehe

keep 'em coming, i'll probably print this thread out and highlight them once it dies down. And I WILL watch everything that I haven't seen that has been suggested in this thread. Mark my words!

drxand? on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Manchurian Candidate

That is an amazing movie, they remade it recently with Denzel Washington and a few other names, but the original is so much better.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    His Girl Friday

I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang

The Great Dictator

The Kid

Sherlock Jr.

Mildred Pierce

there've been some really good suggestions. I feel like repeating them.

Sunset Boulevard

Citizen Kane

Maltese Falcon

Manchurian Candidate

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Errol Flynn is one of my favorite actors, so:
    The Adventures of Robin Hood - very witty dialogue, all around fun film, i love it
    Captain Blood - great pirate movie. great characters

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) - such a great ship movie. portrayl of Cpt. Bligh by Charles Laughton is the best.
    Julius Caesar - just watch it for Brando's performance if nothing else
    The Grapes of Wrath

I find this one particulary significant

Also have to add a vote for Arsenic and Old Lace, I've sprung it on a nuber of my friends who are usually uninterested in old movies and it never failed to impress.

I don't think I saw these mentioned;

African Queen (Bogart)

Kurosawas Yojimbo

any Marx Bros you may have missed and if your liking those check out Abbot and Costello.

Finally,...... with great fanfare and pomp.......I say unto you:

the Bob Hope Road Movies!

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ALocksly wrote:
    Finally,...... with great fanfare and pomp.......I say unto you:

the Bob Hope Road Movies!

Oh man. Bob Hope was great.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It falls quite a bit beyond the 50's, but the first Pink Panther movie, 1963, is a lovelly old-style slowpaced movie (LOTS of long shots) , with some very clever scenes. it's from before the director knew Clouseau was going to be such a hit (and before he got turned into a carricature of himself).

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Citizen Kane is of course a must. M is a must.

Other musts include (not necessarily all pre-1950s, but still old and essential viewing):

The Best Years of Our Lives
    The Bicycle Thief
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    Fail-Safe
    The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Forbidden Planet
    Gunga Din
    Pride of the Yankees
    The Man Who Knew Too Much
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Manchurian Candidate
    (the original version with Frank Sinatra and Angela Lansbury)
    Seven Days in May
    The Bridge on the River Kwai
    Rebel Without a Cause
    King Kong
    (1933)
    North by Northwest
    Notorious
    Shadow of a Doubt
    The Public Enemy
    Gone with the Wind
    Night of the Hunter
    The Third Man
    On the Waterfront
    Giant
    High Noon
    Touch of Evil
    Rashomon

A couple other that I will mention but are rather controversial is Birth of a Nation and Triumph of the Will. Both are important for their historical context and contribution to the development of film, but the subject matter can be touchy for some people. Birth of a Nation is the movie that D.W. Griffith is most remembered for and it's a great film with fantastic cinematography and an epic scope, but it's about the rise of and is sympathetic to the Ku Klux Klan (it was actually based on a play meant to incite white supremacists), and is often credited with the resurgence of the KKK which was dying out at the time the film was made. Triumph of the Will is the film that Leni Riefenstahl is most often remembered for and is the infamous propaganda film documenting the Third Reich's 1934 Nuremberg Party Rally. I would still highly recommend seeing both films as they are very important to the history of cinema.

Also, a much later movie but definitely essential viewing is Annie Hall.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    abraHamabraHam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you want to go way back (silent films), I'd suggest Fritz Lang's Metropolis. I saw it just recently, and I thought it was surprisingly powerful - way ahead of it's time, and you can still see its influence in today's sci-fi films.

A few people have suggested some Kurosawa and i'd have to agree. You liked Seven Samurai, so you've obviously got good taste. After that one, maybe Ran? It's his only colour film, and he uses it so well. The battle scenes are great too - wide, long shots and not the split-second cutting you see these days.

abraHam on
  • Options
    SkwirlSkwirl Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    http://www.nytimes.com/ref/movies/1000best.html

It's reviews of or what they call "The Thousand Greatest Films of All Time" and it runs the gamut from the late 20's to about 2004. Some notable films are left off, and anyone reading it is bound to hate a few of the movies. But what's really great about it is that it has the original review, So their article on Casablanca wasn't written by someone who first saw it on television when they were a kid, and has seen it a couple dozen times since then. It was written a few hours after seeing the world premiere.

You have to register to read the reviews, but that's free.

Skwirl on
  • Options
    DeckmanDeckman Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It's a Wonderful Life - Why has no one mentioned this yet? Come on, it's a classic.

Judgment at Nuremburg - Really good historical drama. I don't know how accurate it is, though; I couldn't find any information on that particular trial.

A Christmas Carol (aka Scrooge) - The 1951 version is worth a watch if you don't feel like waiting another month or so. It's one of my favorite Christmas movies

Also, I second 12 Angry Men.

Deckman on
  • Options
    MYKDRAGONMYKDRAGON Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    abraHam wrote:
    If you want to go way back (silent films), I'd suggest Fritz Lang's Metropolis. I saw it just recently, and I thought it was surprisingly powerful - way ahead of it's time, and you can still see its influence in today's sci-fi films.

Just to add, why you should care about seeing Metropolis. The introduction and popularization of the idea 'robot'. It had some of the first 'morphing' technology in film. The idea that robots are better for quelling human insurgence, rather than eliminating hazards to the common man.
    It also showcased flying vehicles in a metropolis comprised only of skyscrapers (back when there were only a handful of 30 story buildings in the world, and flight had just been invented).
    Also, if you watch it, you get all of the references that other people put into their work, (see Simpsons [Halloween dimension travel episode], Futrama, Gattica).
    "Also, a much later movie but definitely essential viewing is Annie Hall."

God, if you watch any Woody Allen film, watch this.

MYKDRAGON on
    BrainStorm Sounds - Videogame FX/Audio
    'You know BSS when you hear it"
  • Options
    DynamiteKidDynamiteKid Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If it's not been mentioned, I suggest Some Like It Hot. Comedy genius.

They're not as old - or as weighty - as you may be looking for, but I think the first two Beatles films, A Hard Day's Night and Help! are both incredibly witty. Very funny stuff. And some great tunes in there too. The writing really captures their speech patterns perfectly.

DynamiteKid on
    NWA01-1.jpg
    www.rockmidgets.com