As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What to make of a weird spam email

xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I got a pretty weird piece of spam the other day. I use Gmail and it does a pretty good job of catching the vast majority of spam. Every now and then one will get into my inbox but I'll report it and it'll go away. No bid deal.

A few days ago I got one that was different. Both the from-address and to-address are my email address. The subject is simply "hi." The body of the email contains only a six digit number. o_O

How could it be from my address? I usually send emails to myself as reminders of stuff to do. Like post it notes. However, I didn't send this one. I would've deleted already but the fact that it's from my address worries me.

Is spam getting this bizarre? What can an unsolicited email from my own address containing only a six digit number have anything to do with anything?

xraydog on

• Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Junk like that is generally part of a tracking system to measure the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of anti-spam systems. If you're bored, I can get into the mechanics in a bit more detail, but the main thing is that the return address (in this case, yours) is spoofed, and is completely fake. It doesn't mean somebody has access to your account or anything like that. It's nothing to worry about, just delete it like regular spam.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    it's just a popular form of spam to get around spam filters. It's easy to forge the to/from headers to whatever you want. Someone could make an email look like it came from georgebush@whitehouse.gov if they really wanted to.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah don't worry too much about who it's from. Changing the sender info is very, very easy.

That said, I do think it's kind of funny the lengths to which spammers go to try and get a message through nowadays. I'm not really sure why they send such useless things.

matthias00 on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    matthias00 wrote: »
    I'm not really sure why they send such useless things.

They're insanely useful if the target gives them a read receipt. It confirms that whatever technique they used in message #558420 got past Gmail's spam filtering.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    gravelpitgravelpit Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They're insanely useful if the target gives them a read receipt. It confirms that whatever technique they used in message #558420 got past Gmail's spam filtering.
    How can they receive read receipts if the sender fields are spoofed?

gravelpit on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    There's a From field and a Reply-To field. From is what you see as the sender.

Echo on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Make free space in your inbox out of it.

MrMonroe on