As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Christian Rock

QinguQingu Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Does anyone here listen to Christian Rock?

I don't. But I just started listening to it on Pandora. It's very interesting! Interesting things deserve discussion, right?

I think there is something here, something to study. Music genres are simply a collection of subcultures. I bet you could actually document, on a big Venn diagram, exactly how all these subcultures are related to each other. (Hard Rock + Punk = New Wave of British Heavy Metal). But Christian subculture, in many ways, is really separate from all these traditional rock subcultures. In a way, it seems like Christian rock ought to be more flexible in its sound. It might combine things in different ways than any given traditional rock group would, because it has a unique way of "picking and choosing."

Another common thread I've noticed in all these songs is how exciting they are. They're always like running away from sin or some shadow behind them, and then they get rescued. It's like an action scene where your'e running away from this exploding monster or something, but as the fireball explodes around you you jump into the arms of this gay bearded Judean in a robe and it's a happy ending.

Note: I feel like starting this thread while high on Christmas Eve is appropriate.

Qingu on

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    It mostly is terrible.

Sometimes it's good.

Living Sacrafice

Doc on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Evanescence isn't bad, and the guy that was lead singer for Full Devil Jacket started a Christian Rock band that's not too horrible.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I haven't in years, honestly, but when I was in high school I did. It was mostly horrible, but there were some exceptions, mostly stuff by the Tooth & Nail label out of Seattle. Some of those bands have stuck with me since it's not as much explicitly about Christian themes as the more mainstream CCM bands were at the time.

Some examples of what I'd consider "good" Christian rock (though it's not all actual rock):

Argyle Park: Dark Wave/Techno/Industrial. First heard this when I was 16, and still one of my favorite electronic groups.

Joy Electric: I guess the best comparison would be to someone like Freezepop, but Ronnie Martin (essentially JE is a one-man group) has been doing this for longer I believe. Weirdly catchy and fun, though I can acknowledge his voice is an issue for some people.

The Brothers Martin: Can't find a clip of just the music, but it's essentially Joy Electric + Ronnie's brother, who is the frontman for Starflyer 59, a Christian alt/indie/whatever the hell you want to label them. Their self-titled debut was my favorite album in '07----better than any Joy Electric album.

Morella's Forest: General alternative rock---their quality has gone up and down over the years but I think they've been consistently good to great. Tiny Lights of Heaven, their newest album, is actually really good I think.

Dakoda Motor Co.: Most easily described as surf rock (though it doesn't really show here). Haven't done anything in years, but at the time their first two albums came out I was in love with them. A lot more explicitly Christian in lyrics than the other bands I have listed here. Notably, Peter King, one of their vocalists and a guitarist, was on MTV for awhile.

I also really loved this Star Wars tribute band named Twin Sister made from the members of the Christian metal band Sometime Sunday, though their content is obviously very little to do with Christianity, ultimately. That concert was still one of my favorites just because it was so bizarre.

I'm not up on the current scene though, honestly (no longer being religious does that). Anberlin seems pretty decent, P.O.D. is and always was terrible, and I don't know much about the other popular Christian bands like Underoath.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There is a lot of bad Christian music (especially that contemporary adult garbage).

But there is some good Christian music. As someone who listens to both normal and Christian music, I find you've got to really dig for the good stuff. A lot has taken a cue from U2's sound, with heavy delay and reverb, tube-driven distortion, etc.

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    James wrote: »
    There is a lot of bad Christian music (especially that contemporary adult garbage).

But there is some good Christian music. As someone who listens to both normal and Christian music, I find you've got to really dig for the good stuff. A lot has taken a cue from U2's sound, with heavy delay and reverb, tube-driven distortion, etc.
    What other generalizations are there to make about Christian music?

I'm interested in this more as an anthropologist than as a potential listener.

Qingu on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    James wrote: »

What other generalizations are there to make about Christian music?

I'm interested in this more as an anthropologist than as a potential listener.
    Not a big listener, but I'd suggest that the least imaginative groups sound-wise would be the ones who only started a band to sing about religion, as opposed to the ones who started a band to play music and just happen to like expressing their religion through it. Although, are you excluding the latter group from this discussion? Its kind of hard to tell through the sneering* and the faux-detachment.

*although, ok, you can sneer at Creed and their clones all you want...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    0034_02.gif

0034_03.gif

0034_04.gif

0034_05.gif

0034_06.gif

0034_07.gif

0034_08.gif

0034_09.gif

0034_10.gif

0034_11.gif

0034_12.gif

0034_13.gif

0034_14.gif

0034_15.gif

0034_16.gif

0034_17.gif

0034_18.gif

0034_19.gif

0034_20.gif

0034_21.gif

0034_22.gif

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man I LOVE Creed!

Oh wait, that's not so much Christian Rock as it is 'Scott Stapp has a God complex' rock.

And I don't love them at all.

Huh.

For some reason I like this song.

It's not very good though.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Some of it's really disturbing. I just listened to this one song, about the singer's friend who almost died in a car accident. The song ends on this really peaceful, Jimmy Buffet-style melody, and the singer is like,
    He could have died that day
    And I would have been sad
    But he would have gone to Jesus
    And everything would have been okay

That's creepy as fuck! Especially in combination with the totally non-melancholy melody.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Christian Music, at least when I was into it, had very few independent labels---most were under a few larger labels, Word being the biggest at the time (I believe they bought by one of the mainstream labels a few years back).

Also, most people use CCM as shorthand for Contemporary Christian Music, which just means any mainstream Christian music (mostly referring to contemporary).

Another thing you should watch for when listening to Christian music is the way in which they try to shoehorn Biblical passages and Christian dogma into music, which tends to make it bad. Good Christian music that deals with Biblical themes explicitly tend to do it with metaphor or in more artful ways.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Chick tracts? Jesus... Spoiler that shit...

I wouldn't say that I listen to Christian Rock, but I figure that I have some interest in bands that are religious. King's X is the only thing that springs to mind and there's some discussion about whether they'd fall into that category or not.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The best part of the Christian rock scam episode South Park ran was when Cartman explained how they'd write their lyrics. The boys would replace the word 'baby' from popular rock with 'Jesus' and the songs would write themselves.

Has anyone tried applying this to other songs? I figure it works as well as adding '.....in bed' to fortune cookies.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Chick tracts? Jesus... Spoiler that shit...

I wouldn't say that I listen to Christian Rock, but I figure that I have some interest in bands that are religious. King's X is the only thing that springs to mind and there's some discussion about whether they'd fall into that category or not.

I've never really paid a great deal of attention to the lyrics in music. I have no idea how many of the bands I listen could technically be classed as "Christian Rock".

Starcross on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    only 'christian rock' i've ever really listened to was back in high school, and that was Jars of Clay.

I still enjoy their song "Flood" when i'm in a bad mood, cause it reminds me of my best friend in HS.

But that's about it.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Evanescence isn't bad, and the guy that was lead singer for Full Devil Jacket started a Christian Rock band that's not too horrible.

Evanescence is Christian rock??

I was unaware

VoodooV on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Craig's Brother is an awesome christian punk band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=katq8ojOTG8

Their first album, at any rate. They went downhill pretty badly afterwards. I believe they were on Tooth & Nail.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Before you go looking, I'd like to introduce you to the most hilariously bad Christian song and video ever, courtesy of ex-Stryper lead singer Michael Sweet---about sex and abstinence and all that:

Ain't No Safe Way

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    VoodooV wrote: »

I was unaware

Evanescence, POD and Flyleaf are the three mainstream bands I'm aware of that are Christian.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    VoodooV wrote: »

I was unaware

Seriously, wth?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Regardless of whether they're Christian or not, Evanescence are terrible.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2008
    evilbob wrote: »

Oh, they're definately Christian. Look at the lyrics for Tourniquette sometimes.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nobody's ever accused me of having good taste in music, but I rather like Jars of Clay as well. To pick a couple of ones that I can find on Youtube...

Work (the video is kind of weird)

Sad Clown (pretty dissimilar to Work)

I also like Audio Adrenaline, especially:

Some Kind of Zombie

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Oh, they're definately Christian. Look at the lyrics for Tourniquette sometimes.

Just looked them up. Definitely Christian. Definitely terrible.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    DjinnDjinn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm not religious, but I'm all for religious music: I can listen to and enjoy tons of gospel or soul or country with a religious slant. Reggae is almost 100% Christian music (although rastafarianism isnt exactly orthodox). But christian rock always feels awkward to me. I think because rock is born of a spirit of rebellion that a christian band can never fully embrace. From the very beginning, rock was the devils music.

Still, christian rock is no worse ideologically than other types of music with the same "repent! our dogma will save your soul!" message from artists like M.I.A or the Sex Pistols or John Lennon etc. All of which I find equally repellent.

Djinn on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

They're in that blurry area where they're both Christian and their songs are (mostly) about 'spiritual' things. Is their faith influencing or infusing their music? That's the question. However, I personally don't care about the answer because they're just not that interesting.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I listen to two overly religious bands.

Anathallo and Sufjan Stevens.

Both are amazing.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh, some Christian music that's actually good: Jonny Lang recently made a gospel album.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    I hated "Christian rock" even when I was a Christian.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    benholiobenholio Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Relient K is pretty good.

benholio on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Most of my favorite bands are Christian, like Five Iron Frenzy, P.O.D., Project 86, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j962_A0fxYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQvYbN6O_Do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyI-Ox68egM

I'm not overly religious myself, but it's nice to see bands trying to spread an optimistic message from time to time, no matter what their beliefs are.

I also respect that Christian bands take on all kinds of genres, even hardcore, which is usually dominated by the other side of the spectrum.

Living Sacrifice - Killers

Also, Five Iron Frenzy are incredible live. Seen them twice, own two of their live albums.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Before you go looking, I'd like to introduce you to the most hilariously bad Christian song and video ever, courtesy of ex-Stryper lead singer Michael Sweet---about sex and abstinence and all that:

And of course the evil Eve is trying to tempt the Abstinent Adam.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    The Toadies were a Christian band, but the only good song they had was I Burn. Granted it's an amazing fucking song, though.

Mastodon is alright too.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I still think Five Iron Frenzy is great, but Audio Adrenaline is a great example of a band that I really couldn't listen to after I stopped going to church.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Delirious?
    Switchfoot is a guilty pleasure... That's all I know of.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Delirious?
    Switchfoot is a guilty pleasure... That's all I know of.
    Guilty pleasure here, too. However, if I were stuck on a desert island for the rest of my life with only a single mix tape to listen to, New Way To Be Human would be on it. The Blues too, probably.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pheezer wrote: »
    The Toadies were a Christian band, but the only good song they had was I Burn. Granted it's an amazing fucking song, though.

Mastodon is alright too.

Mastodon is Christian?

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's one and only one Chistian themed song I really enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhtcaRRngcw

hear the trumpets, hear the pipers...

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

They're in that blurry area where they're both Christian and their songs are (mostly) about 'spiritual' things. Is their faith influencing or infusing their music? That's the question. However, I personally don't care about the answer because they're just not that interesting.

Ooh, if you ask most Christian stores or music stations and such, it would be a resounding no. There was some silly controversy over it for a while. Alot of their earlier stuff is overtly spiritual, but I don't think Evanescence considers themselves christian.

I've always been a fan of Showbread, ever since I was introduced to their music. Matthias replaces Judas and George Romero will be at our Wedding are both pretty good.

never die on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are differentiating between bands that happen to feature Christian members (and may have songs which are discernably Christian in nature), and bands which are actually part of the whole "Christian Rock" thing?

Because I wouldn't say a group like Evanescence really counts, since as I understand it, they've gone out of their way to distance themselves from the entire "Christian rock" community.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    TasteicleTasteicle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've always liked the song "I can only Imagaine" by mercyme.

Tasteicle on