As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Suggest On] Gaming Mice

eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
So for the past 6 years I've been using a Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical 1.1a, but it is now time to retire it. For one its only 400cpi and newer mice are faster and more accurate, and two, mines dieing anyways and likes to sometimes double click when I only click once. So, I'm in the market for a new mouse, and that is what I asked for for Christmas this year.
49953-d5800026.jpg

So, I ended up getting a Razer Lachesis from my mom. But, I don't really care for it. Like my IMO1.1, its an ambidextrous design, which isn't particularly necessary for me since I'm right handed anyways, but I don't care for the shape of the Lachesis or how stiff and hard to use the side buttons are. With the IMO1.1 the buttons are large and easy to press on both sides. But I don't see the point of a 9-button ambidextrous mouse when 4 of the buttons(Right side, and the two behind the scrollwheel) I would likely disable/not use for games anyways and there are plenty of 5-button right handed designs I could consider.
razer-lachesis.jpg

So, any suggestions for what I should check out? I much prefer Wired over Wireless, and a more ergonomic right handed design over ambidextrous ones. Friend of mine swears by his Logitech G5, but I was leaning towards the SteelSeries Ikari Laser after reading reviews of it online. Anyone here familiar with it?

steel-series-ikari-laser-1.jpg

(She/Her)
eelektrik on

• Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I recently bought the Lachesis for my desktop, and it's pretty decent I think. The side buttons are in the Ok category for me - the only thing you need to do right away when you get it is update the firmware. When I bought it I just plugged it in and started using it with no updates, theres a problem with it that the pointer/mouse arrow starts moving around a bit or jumping on the screen. The firmware update fixes that.

My old mouse was the Razer Copperhead, which I actually really like because its a bit slimmer, its sensitive to your liking and the buttons are great. Only had to replace it because of wear and tear on it. Still works fine, but I now use it on my notebook as a travel mouse.

There was a third one that I was looking at a little bit back that looked pretty good, can't remember the name of it though, trying to find it now.

Loathing on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm considering a SteelSeries mouse too (somewhat because my way overpriced SteelSeries keyboard is totally awesome), my Logitech mouse is irritating me with forgetting the cpi setting after each restart. That and a button on the mouse which is totally useless without driver software.

Zell on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've been using this mouse for the past 3-4 years and it's pretty standard, though it's showing it's age and is starting to act up on me (scroll wheel not working very well, sometimes it randomly throws the cursor somewhere else which is a disaster in a FPS game).
    51YQR2GYZ7L._SS400_.jpg

I've been looking into getting one of these mice, I hear great things about them and they look comfortable as fuck:
    41Mn54u8JGL._SS400_.jpg

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is it just me or does the Ikari look a lot like the G5? I'd take your friends advice and go with the G5. I've had mine for about 2 and a half years, and I've had zero problems with it. Changing DPI resolutions (read: sensitivity), is rather nice for FPS gaming when you don't need to be doing 180's with a slight flick of your wrist.

edit: the G6 is really designed for the Pro Gamer "CLAW GRIP" style. So unless you hold your mouse like well...a claw, then the g5 is going to be a lot more comfortable.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm a big fan of the Razer Copperhead:
    731973xgr9.jpg
    * 2000 dpi laser engine powered by Razer Precision(TM)
    * 1000Hz Ultrapolling with 1 ms response time
    * 32kB onboard memory powered by Razer Synapse(TM)
    * Seven independently programmable buttons optimised with Razer's Hyperresponse(TM) technology for ultra tactile button feedback
    * Up to three customisable weights and optional dummy buttons
    * Zero acoustic Ultraslick(TM) Teflon feet
    * 16 bit data path
    * High speed motion detection
    * Up to45ips and 20G (over 7000 frames per second)
    * Always On(TM) mode pioneered by Razer for instantaneous response at all times
    * Award winning Razer(TM) driver featuring On-The-Fly Sensitivity(TM) dpi adjustment pioneered by Razer
    * Glowpipe(TM) non-slip side rails
    * Ergonomic ambidextrous design
    * Ultra large non-slip rubber coated mouse buttons
    * 7ft lightweight non-tangle cable
    Had it for over a year now, very happy with it. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    When choosing what mouse to buy last I considered a G5 several times, but reading tons of reviews complaining that the middle click wheel was a bit hard to click I decided not to. So if you use middle click a lot, consider that.

That you can horizontally scroll with it might be an advantage though, to me that was just yet another reason not to buy it.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Zell wrote: »
    I'm considering a SteelSeries mouse too (somewhat because my way overpriced SteelSeries keyboard is totally awesome), my Logitech mouse is irritating me with forgetting the cpi setting after each restart. That and a button on the mouse which is totally useless without driver software.

Yeah, thats one of things about the Ikari Laser that I really like. Its completely driverless and plug and play, switching profiles and changing the cpi for your High and Low profiles(Only 2 profiles on it, unlike most mice, which to me is better than cycling through like 3-5) can be handled entirely on the mouse itself, with even an LCD screen on the bottom showing the current cpi setting. Though it does come with software that can make other adjustments, its not actually necessary.

Went to Best Buy this afternoon, got refunded for the Lachesis and was looking at their other mice. They don't actually have all that many on display there, but the Deathadder and G5 both looked and felt nice too. Honestly I don't know what Razer was thinking after making a mouse as well designed as the Deathadder and then making one as odd as a Lachesis. All they needed to do was make a higher CPI Deathadder and it would have been directly superior to the Lachesis.

Also took a look at the G9, which I had heard was best for people who hold their mice with a claw grip, but even that didn't prepare me for how small the thing actually was in person. Yeah, definitely not getting one of those. Looks like something a cylon shit out.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    digitarddigitard I walked up hill BOTH ways AZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You know. I've had a LOGITECH MX518 for a few years now, and couldn't be happier. I do a bunch of gaming (from WoW to COD4 to just Poker) and I've had nothing but good things from it. Not as flashy as the G5/7, etc, but it does its job really well.

Something to look at.

digitard on
    Dave K
    Media / Social Monkey
    GregRedHastings.com
    Now available for iOS - Coming Soon for Android / Ouya
  • Options
    LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3

It's pretty nice, and it's $30 CAD new in stores.

Logicow on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't like to say this, but I think you have the lachesis wrong. The two buttons by the scroll wheel were meant to be like instant on the fly sensitivity. For games when you suddenly have to get real precision, its handy. The side buttons on some other mice are kinda flimsy too and you can accidentally hit them when you dont want to.

I think the best thing about Lachesis however is the fact that you can get way higher dpi and smoother feel than other mice. I run mine at 2,500 fpi and it is a silky dream. Also making macros and reprogramming the keys is very easy and I really like the fact that I can just unplug the mouse and use it on a laptop that doesn't have the drivers installed and yet it works with all it's profiles and stuff.

Basically it has some neat tricks. How far you take it is up to you though.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Has anyone had a problem with the razer copperhead double clicking a lot of the time when just single clicking? Mine now is doing that and it's bugging the shit out of me. I'm thinking about just going to best buy tomorrow and picking up something new because it's unusable.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I don't like to say this, but I think you have the lachesis wrong. The two buttons by the scroll wheel were meant to be like instant on the fly sensitivity. For games when you suddenly have to get real precision, its handy. The side buttons on some other mice are kinda flimsy too and you can accidentally hit them when you dont want to.

I think the best thing about Lachesis however is the fact that you can get way higher dpi and smoother feel than other mice. I run mine at 2,500 fpi and it is a silky dream. Also making macros and reprogramming the keys is very easy and I really like the fact that I can just unplug the mouse and use it on a laptop that doesn't have the drivers installed and yet it works with all it's profiles and stuff.

I get that they intend the two buttons by the scroll wheel to be for changing CPI, and the two side buttons on the opposite side are there to make it ambidextrous, which makes it better for left handed players than the majority of mice out there, but that doesn't apply to me. And it doesn't help that the side buttons on the side I'd be using my thumb on, are far stiffer to use than they should be. So If I'm only going to be using it as a 5-button mouse, I might as well buy a right-handed more ergonomic 5-button mouse.

Like I said in another post, the Deathadder has a much better feel to it and a 4000 CPI Deathadder would have been phenomenal. But instead we got the Lachesis, and the 4000 CPI doesn't excuse the lousy shape and buttons.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    johniedabombjohniedabomb Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the new microsoft sidewinder mouse is very comfortable and responsive. Also, the thumb buttons are above and under each other, which is good for those of us who accidentally press the wrong thumb buttons a lot.

johniedabomb on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got a Razer Deathadder on Woot for $25 a couple months back, and I love it. The side buttons rock, the scroll wheel is perfect, and I'm running it without the drivers.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    ftheriaaftheriaa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    digitard wrote: »
    You know. I've had a LOGITECH MX518 for a few years now, and couldn't be happier. I do a bunch of gaming (from WoW to COD4 to just Poker) and I've had nothing but good things from it. Not as flashy as the G5/7, etc, but it does its job really well.

Something to look at.

This.

ftheriaa on
    Gamertag: Powerphone
  • Options
    TharghorTharghor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ftheriaa wrote: »

Something to look at.

This.

They are built like a tank. I've had mine for over 3 years without a single problem. According to their homepage it has 1800 dpi.

Tharghor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Fodder wrote: »
    Has anyone had a problem with the razer copperhead double clicking a lot of the time when just single clicking? Mine now is doing that and it's bugging the shit out of me. I'm thinking about just going to best buy tomorrow and picking up something new because it's unusable.

There was a few batches that had this problem. Either RMA it or return it as deffective.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »

I get that they intend the two buttons by the scroll wheel to be for changing CPI, and the two side buttons on the opposite side are there to make it ambidextrous, which makes it better for left handed players than the majority of mice out there, but that doesn't apply to me. And it doesn't help that the side buttons on the side I'd be using my thumb on, are far stiffer to use than they should be. So If I'm only going to be using it as a 5-button mouse, I might as well buy a right-handed more ergonomic 5-button mouse.

Like I said in another post, the Deathadder has a much better feel to it and a 4000 CPI Deathadder would have been phenomenal. But instead we got the Lachesis, and the 4000 CPI doesn't excuse the lousy shape and buttons.

What the hell is CPI? ;P

I think you may have to curl your fingers a bit. There are 3 main types of hand grips with mice. Either you form a vicious claw and grasp at the mouse as such, or your lay your hand on it like it flatter than it really is. There is of course the halfway point, which is what I use.

Try curling your middle finger, pinky and thumb a bit inwards towards the center of the mouse. Pinkie buttons can be tricky since pinkies are rarely used so either start doing some hand reflexes with it or just ignore it. Your thumb however should be lightning quick, so really, I am not sure why you have such an aversion to this mouse, but I suppose you cannot please everyone.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fodder wrote: »
    You probably just need to clean it.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    geeeeoffffgeeeeoffff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Something to look at.

I also use the mx518. It's awesome and has buttons to change the sensitivity. I see it a lot at lan parties

geeeeoffff on
    GD on paforums
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have the Razr Lachesis and ive been happy with it. Only down sides is the laser is REALLY sensitive, and if dust gets in there it actually screws it up and needs to be air dusted out. The sensitivity is extremely good for shooters though, it definately increased my turning speed so i could aim at enemies with faster reaction time. The buttons are well placed, sometimes i accidentally push side buttons but i dont use those all that often anyhow. It's also got buttons to change the DPI

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have the Razr Lachesis and ive been happy with it. Only down sides is the laser is REALLY sensitive, and if dust gets in there it actually screws it up and needs to be air dusted out. The sensitivity is extremely good for shooters though, it definately increased my turning speed so i could aim at enemies with faster reaction time. The buttons are well placed, sometimes i accidentally push side buttons but i dont use those all that often anyhow. It's also got buttons to change the DPI

Yea the laser on the button is really buggy if you get something on it, but then if you're desktop/mousepad is covered in shit then really, what the hell?

Loathing on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Out of the mice I have had, the following have been designed for gaming:

Logitech MX518
    Logitech G5
    Razer DeathAdder

The DeathAdder is the best of the three by far. The G5 had serious technical glitches involving the mousewheel that may or may not have been solved in the new, blue version. Its form factor was less comfortable, regardless. The MX518 was pretty good, but it didn't glide as smoothly as the other two.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I used to have a microsoft intellimouse, pretty good and reliable for general gaming moments.
    I just got a Razor Deathadder, brilliant. Compared to my old knackered microsoft its great and smooth. Also the drivers to configure sensitivity is good and having side buttons is a plus.

Ultimatly its up to choice, try a few out in shops, see which is comfortable.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Btw guys, for those of you who complain about the pinky buttons being difficult to reach or use, try this.

Boot up a game, faster is better. Boot up a round between you and some easy difficulty bots and set the pinky keys to primary and secondary fire, it's going to be tricky and uncomfortable, but with like half an hour of work, you train your pinky real nice and soon you dont even have to think about how to manage to hit those pinky buttons.

I tried this with UT3 and now I don't mind the side buttons at all. :3

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is not the right thread but I don't like my mouse.

How do I up the dpi on a logitech mx 400. This might help.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It should either have drivers that allow you to set up where you want the DPI settings at, or it should have a button.

But if it is at it's max setting and still slow as fuck, then you need a new mouse.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It has neither. No button or driver option.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Get a new mouse, then. >_>;

I mean, if there is no hardware or software option to change or increase the dpi, I don't really know what your options are...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I was actually hoping there'd be third party things. For all I know the software is crap.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well, what is the maximum dpi of the mouse vs your current dpi setting.

If you are running at 1,000 dpi for example and want to increase that, but the max is 1,000... then you really can't get over hardware hurdles with firmware updates. It's a mouse, not a Zune.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I ended up ordering the SteelSeries Ikari Laser mouse I mentioned I was looking at originally. It was the first one I was looking at, but after seeing my other options, its still looks like the best mouse for me out of the high-end DPI mice, as the other options were the 4000 Razer Lachesis and 3200 Logitech G9. Well, SteelSeries also has a World of Warcraft branded 3200 DPI 15-button monstrosity, but thats not really anything I need either, so I went ahead and ordered the Ikari Laser off NewEgg and its shipped yesterday, with an expected delivery date of the 7th. So, heres hoping it kicks as much ass as reviews have led me to believe.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was actually hoping there'd be third party things. For all I know the software is crap.

I also run a mx400. From what I'm aware, they run at 800 dpi natively, which should be fine. The only 'problem' with the mx400 is its relatively low polling rate of 125 hz, compared with 500-1000 hz of most gaming-grade mice.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I also run a mx400. From what I'm aware, they run at 800 dpi natively, which should be fine. The only 'problem' with the mx400 is its relatively low polling rate of 125 hz, compared with 500-1000 hz of most gaming-grade mice.

Crap that's some low low settings. Even my copperhead that I have had for so many years has better stats. >_>;

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone else remember that software (might have been called ps2rate) that let you increase your PS2 polling rate to 100 or even 200 hz? Nice to be a gamer these days :).

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Everyone who hasn't said MX518 is stupid and should feel bad.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'll mention the MX518 too, in fact, to get rid of it is mostly the reason I've just ordered the SteelSeries Ikari :P

Zell on
  • Options
    EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've used the MX518 for 2.5 to 3 years or so. It's been absolutely wonderful in that time period, but a few days ago the right mouse button ceased working. It's gotten a ton of use, though, and would recommend it again.

Edgie on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I use an MX Revolution since I do things other than game, and I love the hell out of it.

Pure gaming, I don't know if I'd suggest it though.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    MX510 and MX518 are where it's at.

I've had my MX10 for 3 years now and have no desire to upgrade.

TekDragon on