As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is this even possible? (precise copies of hard drives)

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
I apologize in advance for the amateurish nature of this post.

My father's hard drive on his primary desktop is failing--accompanied by the dreaded click-click of death. I swear, he must be kicking the thing constantly to go through drives this fast. Apparently, it's been a problem for a few weeks, but he waited to tell me until I could lured home for my annual Christmas visit.

Anyway, we've dealt with problem time and time in the past, but something occurred to me--for someone who hates to be inconvenienced, and given that SATA drives are seemingly cheap as dirt, would it be possible to make an exact copy of the HDD--drivers, registry, program files, media, etc.--onto another larger hard drive, and switch them out?

He's running Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, so he has the usual Vista Backup Utilities, for what they're worth. I wouldn't mind spending some money to buy him additional back-up software as necessary. Basically, what I'm asking is: could we install a larger hard disc, make an exact functional copy, switch the boot order, seal the old one away in a box to starve out the demons or whatever, and pretend all of this never happened? Or is this just the dream of a tech newbie? And how would you get around the problem of the root drive name (C:, obviously) .

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Synthesis on

• Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There are plenty of applications out there for cloning hard drives, free and commercial. You can go with the standards like Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost, or try out some free software. A little bit of googling and you should find what you need for information / tools available.

stigweard on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just use Acronis True Image to "ghost" or "clone" the failing hard drive. Norton Ghost doesn't even run on Vista, grr wasted money... But yeah this is very possible and actually common.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So the copy drive would actually be bootable and useable? I was wondering if the programs (including Vista) would continue to run--though I suppose so long as none of the hardware changed, you would have to go through the whole registration issue again...

Synthesis on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's a nice app called XXClone which basically does a file level copy of a hard drive, which has certain advantages to it over block-by-block methods. And it works - used it to migrate XP to my 500gb SATA drive off an IDE.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    stigweard wrote: »
    There are plenty of applications out there for cloning hard drives, free and commercial. You can go with the standards like Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost, or try out some free software. A little bit of googling and you should find what you need for information / tools available.

Acronis True Image is a must. It has an extremely high level of polish that most other pieces of software really can't beat.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    digitarddigitard I walked up hill BOTH ways AZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Acronis True Image is a must. It has an extremely high level of polish that most other pieces of software really can't beat.

Yup.

Every time I buy a new primary HDD I use Acronis True Image to copy my existing drive to it, and so forth. I highly recommend it.

digitard on
    Dave K
    Media / Social Monkey
    GregRedHastings.com
    Now available for iOS - Coming Soon for Android / Ouya
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    digitard wrote: »

Yup.

Every time I buy a new primary HDD I use Acronis True Image to copy my existing drive to it, and so forth. I highly recommend it.

Seems like there's a consensus here (what I was looking for). I think you can get Arconis True Image as part of their Disk Director Suite (not a problem).

My father's clicking hard drive thanks you (?), and I have to admit, I'm a little interested in doing it too. I have a 650 GB WD SATA I got as a gift that I've been debating what to do with--it'd be nice to not have to stare at the diminishing number of hard drive space left on my own root drive. If it's as easy as copying the entire drive, sliding it in where the old one is--well, that's too good to pass up.

On a side note--is Western Digital the way to go? I generally have good luck with them (a comparatively bad luck with Samsung, though I really like their other products like TVs, etc.). Anyone got a brand they swear by?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Synthesis wrote: »

Yup.

Seems like there's a consensus here (what I was looking for). I think you can get Arconis True Image as part of their Disk Director Suite (not a problem).

My father's clicking hard drive thanks you (?), and I have to admit, I'm a little interested in doing it too. I have a 650 GB WD SATA I got as a gift that I've been debating what to do with--it'd be nice to not have to stare at the diminishing number of hard drive space left on my own root drive. If it's as easy as copying the entire drive, sliding it in where the old one is--well, that's too good to pass up.

On a side note--is Western Digital the way to go? I generally have good luck with them (a comparatively bad luck with Samsung, though I really like their other products like TVs, etc.). Anyone got a brand they swera by?

I swear by Seagate. I would offer them my first newborn if I could :-P

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Synthesis wrote: »

Yup.

On a side note--is Western Digital the way to go? I generally have good luck with them (a comparatively bad luck with Samsung, though I really like their other products like TVs, etc.). Anyone got a brand they swera by?

I swear by Seagate. I would offer them my first newborn if I could :-P

A lot of people swear by the Barracuda...them and WD seem to be the big names. I guess I'll just go with what I have, or give that to my dad and see if a good deal comes by for Seagate or WD.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    digitarddigitard I walked up hill BOTH ways AZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As far as HDD quality I, personally, have been a BIG fan of Hitachi and Samsung lately. I've had one of each running in my rig for a few years now (ones my primary, and one is my app backup drive) and they've been very good to me.

digitard on
    Dave K
    Media / Social Monkey
    GregRedHastings.com
    Now available for iOS - Coming Soon for Android / Ouya
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I was able to get my hands on Arconis True Image Home from a friend of mine--seems to have come with an assortment of options.

I'm going to test it out myself before getting it to my dad. Looks like I'm going for 'Back Up "My Computer"'....

As for HDD, I like Samsung for a lot of stuff (had one of their MP3 players before my Zune) but both of the ATA drives I purchased from them had bad sectors. I don't really hold it against Samsung, since I was able to get off my data--it was just a pretty big inconvenience.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Acronis TrueImage is excellent.

Also Seagate drives seem to be rock solid for me so I'm seagate all the way.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    One thing I'm left wondering about True Image...

How does it handle drive letters? I'm actually thinking that I'll end up with a PC that has D (or E or F) as its root drive. Not really a problem, but that's what I'd assume would happen.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    drive letters are determined by windows, so it will still be C: as long as its the only or main drive in its final destination pc

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    exoplasm wrote: »
    drive letters are determined by windows, so it will still be C: as long as its the only or main drive in its final destination pc

Ah, okay....I remember having a fresh installation of Windows on a new hard drive while there was already another drive known as C, so D became the root. Clears that up.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You don't leave the old drive in once you are finished. Create the boot cd, clone the drive, and power down. Then unhook the old drive, and hook up the new one in its place. Do a test to make sure everything is working and then take out the old drive completely.

stigweard on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You don't leave the old drive in once you are finished. Create the boot cd, clone the drive, and power down. Then unhook the old drive, and hook up the new one in its place. Do a test to make sure everything is working and then take out the old drive completely.

Would it be possible to wipe the old drive within Windows to clear it up for further use, or would it bring up conflict issues?

My trusty ol' Seagate is making a click from time to time (not constantly...) and I was wondering if I could do this (copy contents of old drive to new drive, remove old drive, reboot, done), lucky this thread came, because I'd just be wandering around Google looking up information for months :)

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Airan wrote: »

Would it be possible to wipe the old drive within Windows to clear it up for further use, or would it bring up conflict issues?

My trusty ol' Seagate is making a click from time to time (not constantly...) and I was wondering if I could do this (copy contents of old drive to new drive, remove old drive, reboot, done), lucky this thread came, because I'd just be wandering around Google looking up information for months :)

Yes. Acronis has all those options and asks you what you want to do with your old drive. It will then finish up creating the new drive and help you setup your old drive for more use.

<3 Acronis.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    To clarify my previous comment:

The active Windows installation will determine drive letters. Assuming the drive you boot from is the primary, Windows will label it C: and any others will be D: E: etc.

So as long as your new drive is in the primary slot (for IDE anyway, SATA is a bit different) it will always be C: to the Windows installation on it.

With SATA it is different, at least with Vista. For a while I had XP on my main drive and Vista on a secondary. In XP the drive letters were C: and G: (not sure why G:) and in Vista they were C: and D: with D: being the XP drive.

And yes you can format other drives from within windows.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    In my experience, the old drive can just be used in Windows, and wiped clean (formatting) if so desired. Of course, this was with XP, but I can't see why Vista would be different in this regard.

In all my circumstances, I'm working with Vista, so I may very well either 1) make sure the new boot drive is in the top slot where the old one was or 2) boot with only the new boot drive, and then put the other two in later.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like Seagate but their drives are loud as fuck, so lately I've been buying WD even if it costs more money

Azio on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I actually opened up my case and found that I've been using 2 Seagate Barracudas (must have skipped my mind).

I thought I was running WD, since I had an additional one sitting about (I usually buy a few at a time, out of paranoia). For the sake of convenience, I was thinking of giving the WD to my dad and buying a new Seagate, though I'm still debating about the size (I think 1.5TB is going a little bit too far). Some people have claimed that Seagate's quality has been dwindling, and that larger drives seem to be more prone to failure (the later I find more convincing). I've heard their 1.5TB drives a nightmare, which I guess is just as well, since I don't need nearly that much space...probably between 600 to 800 tops.

Any recommendations? I'm just interested in the usual 32mb, 7200 RPM SATA stock, nothing over-the-top or high performance. In particular, what's the best, most reliable Barracuda out there?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For 1TB and up you should go with WD black series. They perform better and are of better quality than the Seagates at this size & time. The WDs also quieter and get a better rating in Windows Experience.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    For 1TB and up you should go with WD black series. They perform better and are of better quality than the Seagates at this size & time. The WDs also quieter and get a better rating in Windows Experience.

I didn't realise they had updated the WE rating past 5.9.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I didn't realise they had updated the WE rating past 5.9.

Yup. Ignoring my own experience, NewEgg seems to be filled with a decent number of horror stories for larger Barracudas (though smaller ones like mine have nothing but praise). I guess WD is the way to go....thinking of picking up a 1TB, 32mb cache, as earlier suggested.

Synthesis on