Options

Universal Remotes

BadAccidentBadAccident Registered User regular
So I recently lost the remote to my 50'' Samsung DLP TV and I'm looking for a suitable replacement.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with universal remotes and possibly has any recommendations?

BadAccident on

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Logitech Harmony 880, you can pick up a refurb for about 80 bucks (instead of the msrp of 250) and they're amazing; easy to program and versatile as all hell.

As an aside, there are about three other threads on this subject within the first two pages of this forum. Should have the info you need without waiting for responses.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got my parents a Harmony 550 for Christmas this year and they really enjoy it so far. Programming it for their setup was easy even though I didn't have precise model numbers for all of their stuff. The 550 uses normal AAA batteries but the 880 has a docking station that charges the battery.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The 550s are ok, but as bash mentioned they use normal batteries. The 880 will also handle more components//activities, so it lasts a bit longer if you are a habitual upgrader.

Amazon has them up for about 75 bucks right now if you don't mind a refurb unit. 130 if you do.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    All of the Harmony remotes use the same software. The different models affect how many devices it can handle, how many acitivities, what kind of screen, battery, and button layout. I like the 880 as a middle ground.
    The above is true except for the 1000.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    steeefsteeef Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've had the 550 for almost a year now and I love it. The software is a bear to figure out and use (it still pisses me off that certain configurations are not possible), but once you get it configured the remote works great.

steeef on
    steeef.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    steeef wrote: »
    I've had the 550 for almost a year now and I love it. The software is a bear to figure out and use (it still pisses me off that certain configurations are not possible), but once you get it configured the remote works great.

Comments like this make me think that the conventional wisdom of all Harmony remotes being the same to set-up is incorrect; the 880 is a breeze to set up, and the software is ridiculously easy to use. This is especially true when compared to traditional universals.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Logitech's Harmony software has to be the worst software that's ever been on my computer. It's easy to use yes, but it's also horribly inefficient to use if you need to change the setup a lot. It also does lack certain features, for example I would like to setup my Harmony so it changes the sources like this:

1: Press source selection
    2: Scroll to the correct source using up and down arrows
    3: confirm source

I can't, so the Harmony only uses the down arrow and scrolls down the entire long list whenever it tries to get to the DVD player on HDMI1.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Devices. Receiver. Source Selection. LCD shows every source option available, 8 per page on screen.. Hit the button on the side of the LCD next to the one you want. You don't even need the arrows. You are either setting it up incorrectly, or are talking about a different model.

EDIT: And TBH you don't even need to do that. If I start watching tv by hitting the Watch TV activity, and then later want to switch to a dvd, Activities -> Watch DvD switches everything around, and leaves components that are already on and in the correct setting alone. Again, you are either setting it up incorrectly or you aren't talking about the 880.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Raynaga wrote: »

Comments like this make me think that the conventional wisdom of all Harmony remotes being the same to set-up is incorrect; the 880 is a breeze to set up, and the software is ridiculously easy to use. This is especially true when compared to traditional universals.

I have the 550, and found the software easy to use.

Also, I've found with a little ingenuity there is very little you can't do on it.

EDIT: Though I haven't run into any device limit yet...just have a TV/OXbox/Receiver/DVD/Blu-Ray/Cable though.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Devices. Receiver. Source Selection. LCD shows every source option available, 8 per page on screen.. Hit the button on the side of the LCD next to the one you want. You don't even need the arrows. You are either setting it up incorrectly, or are talking about a different model.
    No I'm talking about a device which doesn't support directly changing inputs.
    EDIT: And TBH you don't even need to do that. If I start watching tv by hitting the Watch TV activity, and then later want to switch to a dvd, Activities -> Watch DvD switches everything around, and leaves components that are already on and in the correct setting alone. Again, you are either setting it up incorrectly
    I have it set up correctly, it is slow as hell because of the lack of an option that I see no reason why isn't there in the software. Try reading my post next time. Worst part is, there is no workaround solution either. If it wasn't for the fact that it was supposed to be setup as simple to use as possible I would've made a button to scroll sources up and down.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Zell wrote: »
    Logitech's Harmony software has to be the worst software that's ever been on my computer. It's easy to use yes, but it's also horribly inefficient to use if you need to change the setup a lot. It also does lack certain features, for example I would like to setup my Harmony so it changes the sources like this:

1: Press source selection
    2: Scroll to the correct source using up and down arrows
    3: confirm source

I can't, so the Harmony only uses the down arrow and scrolls down the entire long list whenever it tries to get to the DVD player on HDMI1.

If I understand right, this is an unfortunate problem with your TV. The Harmony can replicate every command your components original remote can do. I remember on my original set up for my remote it asked if my TV had individual input buttons. I know that my dads Mistubishi TV wants you to go to a list of inputs to choose from.
    If another remote can do what you want, then I guess I don't understand what you want to do.
    But no matter what the wizard sets up for you, you can change everything. So you want a button to scroll through the inputs, what is stopping you from having the Harmony send that command connected to any hard or soft button?

And yes, the Harmony software is a pain in the ass when it comes to load times. Sometimes its menu layout is made for the lowest common denomenator. But it fucking works.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

What type of configurations?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I have it set up correctly, it is slow as hell because of the lack of an option that I see no reason why isn't there in the software. Try reading my post next time. Worst part is, there is no workaround solution either. If it wasn't for the fact that it was supposed to be setup as simple to use as possible I would've made a button to scroll sources up and down.

If I understand right, this is an unfortunate problem with your TV. The Harmony can replicate every command your components original remote can do. I remember on my original set up for my remote it asked if my TV had individual input buttons. I know that my dads Mistubishi TV wants you to go to a list of inputs to choose from.

The hostility was unnecessary, Zell. The problem is not with the Harmony or its software, as I can literally walk to my living room and do exactly that.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The hostility was unnecessary, Zell
    You didn't read my post, pointing that out isn't "hostile"
    and gives a good indication as to why you were recently jailed
    Think that was a year or maybe two ago but whatever.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The hostility was unnecessary, Zell
    You didn't read my post, pointing that out isn't "hostile"
    and gives a good indication as to why you were recently jailed
    Think that was a year or maybe two ago but whatever.

Actually I did. And I indicated the problem you are having has nothing to do with the remote or its software, as it is quite capable of doing exactly what you described. It isn't other people's fault if your equipment or the manner in which you have the software set up doesn't allow you to fully utilize the capabilities of the thing.

And the jailed thing was a cheap shot, and was edited out. You're just blazing on the responses.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    But no matter what the wizard sets up for you, you can change everything. So you want a button to scroll through the inputs, what is stopping you from having the Harmony send that command connected to any hard or soft button?
    Simplicity, most people who aren't too knowledgeable about technology do not want to have a button for switching sources.
    If I understand right, this is an unfortunate problem with your TV. The Harmony can replicate every command your components original remote can do.
    But see, here's an image from the software:
    n6vn2r.gif
    What lacks is the option to set two buttons, one for cycling forwards and one for cycling backwards. That it's lacking is just confusing.
    Actually I did. And I indicated the problem you are having has nothing to do with the remote or its software, as it is quite capable of doing exactly what you described. It isn't other people's fault if your equipment or the manner in which you have the software set up doesn't allow you to fully utilize the capabilities of the thing.
    Read above, it is a limitation with the remote's software, and the problem has everything to do with it. If you had read my post a couple of more times you probably would've figured out what I meant in the first place...

Edit: also while this TV will get replaced soon, I'm just pointing out, the Harmony can't do everything and has (annoying) limitations. Every other device I've gotten to work perfectly, flaws with the default setup aside.

Zell on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anyone know if/when bluetooth will be added to Harmony remotes? I love my PS3 but having to use 2 remotes does get a little cumbersome at times.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Looking forward to getting my 890 sometime this week... :D Going to be going from 5 remotes to 1... Should be interesting to see how it controls my computer... :D

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Anyone know if/when bluetooth will be added to Harmony remotes? I love my PS3 but having to use 2 remotes does get a little cumbersome at times.

There's no announced timetable, for the Harmony's or any other universal that I'm aware of. If you go here you can get a breakdown of the 4 converters you can use to make your PS3 accept IR commands.

EDIT: These seem to be the best option in terms of cost and effectiveness. It plugs into one of the front USB ports on the PS3, and away you go. The basic model is about 35 bucks, a hell of a lot better than some of the other options.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

There's no announced timetable, for the Harmony's or any other universal that I'm aware of. If you go here you can get a breakdown of the 4 converters you can use to make your PS3 accept IR commands.

EDIT: These seem to be the best option in terms of cost and effectiveness. It plugs into one of the front USB ports on the PS3, and away you go. The basic model is about 35 bucks, a hell of a lot better than some of the other options.

Thanks for the help. I bought the PS3 remote back at launch with my PS3 when it was the only option besides the controller. I'm content to use it for now since my family members are a bit abusive on remotes. For this reason I haven't purchased a replacement Harmony yet. I went through the "trouble" of programming my cable box remote to control everything on my TV, including switching between all 7 inputs.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Any of you know if Logitech is planning on eventually incorporating Bluetooth into one of their remotes? As the PS3 is my main movie player, I would like to only have one control instead of two.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »
    Any of you know if Logitech is planning on eventually incorporating Bluetooth into one of their remotes? As the PS3 is my main movie player, I would like to only have one control instead of two.

Uh...

Look up 4 posts.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    BadAccidentBadAccident Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yea just wanted to thank you guys for the input. Ended up using a giftcard at bestbuy and snagging a 550 for 60 canuck bucks.

BadAccident on
  • Options
    steeefsteeef Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I've been configuring it a few times and ran into a roadblock trying to change settings. Most recently, having the remote not change the TV to channel 3 every time I select "Watch TV". I never change the TV's channels (I use a cable box), so this is an unnecessary step. The only thing I can change in the software is "TV must be on channel 03", when what I really want is a list of commands the remote sends whenever I select "Watch TV".

This is typical of the issues I've had with the software. It's not preventing me from making the remote usable, but it is preventing me from tweaking it the way I'd like.

steeef on
    steeef.png
  • Options
    SrazekSrazek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also bought a 550 this Christmas.

Works great.

Srazek on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Simplicity, most people who aren't too knowledgeable about technology do not want to have a button for switching sources.
    If I understand right, this is an unfortunate problem with your TV. The Harmony can replicate every command your components original remote can do.
    n6vn2r.gif
    What lacks is the option to set two buttons, one for cycling forwards and one for cycling backwards. That it's lacking is just confusing.
    Read above, it is a limitation with the remote's software, and the problem has everything to do with it. If you had read my post a couple of more times you probably would've figured out what I meant in the first place...

Edit: also while this TV will get replaced soon, I'm just pointing out, the Harmony can't do everything and has (annoying) limitations. Every other device I've gotten to work perfectly, flaws with the default setup aside.

Does your TV have an IR signal/command to make it go backwards through the list?
    Its hard for me to picture what happens in your software right now. Lets say you are watching TV (receiver input TV, TV input TV). To watch a DVD, you press 'Watch DVD', your receiver goes to input DVD, a menu on yout TV opens, it scrolls to input DVD automatically, and voila?

Maybe the Hamrony can't do what you want, but have you called their support? That would be the only way to know for sure. I've heard good things about them, sometimes even importing their own code to make you happy.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I've been configuring it a few times and ran into a roadblock trying to change settings. Most recently, having the remote not change the TV to channel 3 every time I select "Watch TV". I never change the TV's channels (I use a cable box), so this is an unnecessary step. The only thing I can change in the software is "TV must be on channel 03", when what I really want is a list of commands the remote sends whenever I select "Watch TV".

This is typical of the issues I've had with the software. It's not preventing me from making the remote usable, but it is preventing me from tweaking it the way I'd like.

I haven't done an indepth from scratch setup in a while. I know that my TV "switches" to video 3 every time (video 3 pops up every time the activity is changed), but this sounds like something you should be able to remove. I'll look into it when I have some more time. Sometimes another set of eyes, as well as using the website can make a difference.
    Again though, Harmony tech support is able to make all sorts of changes for you. It doesn't hurt to give them a call, it won't cost you any money, and they might do what you want.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »

Uh...

Look up 4 posts.

Whoa, I could have sworn I read the entire thread.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    n6vn2r.gif

Does your TV have an IR signal/command to make it go backwards through the list?
    Its hard for me to picture what happens in your software right now. Lets say you are watching TV (receiver input TV, TV input TV). To watch a DVD, you press 'Watch DVD', your receiver goes to input DVD, a menu on yout TV opens, it scrolls to input DVD automatically, and voila?
    Yes, except slowly because it has to scroll through the entire list. My TV does have a IR signal to make it go backwards through the list but the Harmony software has no option for allowing that and there isn't a workaround either as there's no way to access what the Harmony "remembers" the TV was last set to in the software.
    Maybe the Hamrony can't do what you want, but have you called their support? That would be the only way to know for sure. I've heard good things about them, sometimes even importing their own code to make you happy.
    The Harmony *can't* do what I want, and if the TV wasn't going to be replaced anyway I would email their support, it's just an example of what the Harmony can't do.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What I'm saying is that maybe the Harmony software can't do what you want it to do (it works, just not in the best way, right?), but maybe the Harmony tech support can write you a custom code for it.
    Sure, it can't do everything. It's not like I sell the damned things.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I still don't see how/why you can't set it up in the manner you describe. My 880 does exactly what you are talking about for the inputs on the receiver or the TV if for some random reason I ever have to go to the input section for either. Throws them up on the LCD and allows you to scroll forward, and yes, backward a page at a time (with a page being 8 input options).

And honestly once the activities were set up correctly I didn't even need to use them anymore. But, if I did, the arrows are right there.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    it works, just not in the best way, right?
    Yeah it works but slowly (at least for an application that allows you to adjust other timings in 100ms increments).
    I still don't see how/why you can't set it up in the manner you describe. My 880 does exactly what you are talking about for the inputs on the receiver or the TV if for some random reason I ever have to go to the input section for either. Throws them up on the LCD and allows you to scroll forward, and yes, backward a page at a time (with a page being 8 input options).
    You're not understanding what I'm talking about, reading my posts again might help. I'm really not good enough at explaining things in a simpler matter.

Zell on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    posting in this thread to reiterate that the 550 is awesome. for people who either have a bad habit of not putting peripherals on charging docks or their living room setup doesnt allow for a handy dock location the 550 is boss. every button you need can be arranged with a little patience and i've only had to change the batteries once in about 8 months or so of use.

the 'feature' where it lights up when you get nearby is a bit creepy tho.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    If it's anything like the 525 it's annoying. The 525 has a motion sensor or something, but you can't get it to light up each time you're actually going to use it without hitting the glow button, it only does that if you've been away from the remote for two hours. Weird stuff.

Zell on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If it's anything like the 525 it's annoying. The 525 has a motion sensor or something, but you can't get it to light up each time you're actually going to use it without hitting the glow button, it only does that if you've been away from the remote for two hours. Weird stuff.

Yeah, 550 is the same. Half the time if I'm just walking by to get a drink of water at 4:30 in the morning, it lights up...but if I actually pick it up and want to adjust some setting on my TV, I have to hit a button.

Still, love it. And I've only had to change my batteries once this year. The battery thing is kind of a non-issue.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    Can the Harmony emulate a PS3 remote? Because if it can, I'll probably have to pick one up.

Also, how does it work with DVRs, as far as scrolling around and selecting stuff? It sounds a lot like its principal use is setting up components and not navigating menus.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Can the Harmony emulate a PS3 remote? Because if it can, I'll probably have to pick one up.

Also, how does it work with DVRs, as far as scrolling around and selecting stuff? It sounds a lot like its principal use is setting up components and not navigating menus.

The database that the Harmony pulls from for IR codes is obscenely huge. Even if, somehow, it does not have the codes in it's system you can very easily teach it the codes if you have the original remote.
    That being said, the PS3 uses bluetooth and the Harmony line uses IR (except for the 1000 which uses RF). There is an adapter (Nyko?) out there for a PS3 remote that plugs an IR receiver into a USB port. It will allow you to do everything but power the PS3 on I think.

As for DVRs, it works super awesome keen! The replay button |<< skips backwards, the skip button >>| skips forward, the rew button << rewinds constantly, and the fwd button >> fast forwards. The original setup is easy. You just need to know your components model names and what inputs everything uses. To tweak the remote (decide what buttons you want on the screen, choose a background because lets face it you want a custom one, input images for your favorite channels, etc) takes some time.
    $80 for an 880. It's the lowest priced color screen model (I think). Just get it!

My favorite soft button (on the screen) is Recorded Shows. Thanks to macro commands (a series of commands from one button press) it will automatically go through Dish's menu system to the shows I have recorded. It's just one button press instead of two, but I love it. Does anyone else have a great button set up? How about a good background?

Here is a site with a lot of high res icons built for the One and the 1000.
    http://www.iconharmony.com/icons/

This site has icons and backgrounds or the 880.
    http://squareworld.com/harmony/
    If you want to make your own background, they have some very good templates to start with.

I've got some of m own backgrounds that I'll post later. They just aren't on this computer.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    Except I would need to also buy an adapter to allow for an IR PS3 remote, and I still wouldn't be able to turn the PS3 on with the remote, so I'd still need two remotes.

That sort of blows. If I'm dropping close to $100, it better replace all my remotes. If not, I'd just as soon pay $20 for something that still replaces all but one remote but isn't quite as pretty.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

while the principle selling point is the ability to turn on any configuration of your HT with two button presses (activities->watch tv/dvd/whatever) instead of having to change all the inputs manually, the really underlooked feature is the device button. if you want to change your receiver to movie sound config then you just hit the device button, pick the receiver, and then you can scroll through every option the theater's remote would have on it.

basically while the remote may not have a hard button to do what you want, it will be available through a soft button on the screen. plus you can have any soft feature displayed default on the screen with each config.

EDIT: jeffe, i just got a 550 for my gf's dad for like $55+shipping. It really isnt worth dropping the money on the new color fancy ones unless you have a lust for gadgets

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You can't buy a $20 remote that can...
    run activities. Watch TV turns my TV on, sets my TV to the right input, turns my receiver on, sets my receiver to the right input, and makes the remotes buttons control the sat box (except for the volume button which controls my receiver). Watch DVD sets my TV to the right input (turns it on too if it is off), turns my DVD player on (if its off), sets my receiver to the right input (again, turning it on if it was off), and makes the remotes buttons control the DVD player (except for the volume buttons which are still going to the receiver). Each of those activities is one button press.
    You can't buy a $20 remote that is...
    so easy to set up. The software is very easy to use and it does a lot of the work for you through a wizard.
    You can't buy a $20 remote that can...
    let anyone use your system without thinking. Having an LCD on your remote is as handy as having one on your MP3 player. Sure you can do without one. But do you want to?

If you think you need a universal remote but don't want to spend nearly a hundred bucks, just get the cheapest Harmony you can find on Amazon. After using mine, having other people use mine, and having bought them as gifts for others, I think it is as much of a requirement in a home theatre as a TV.

Improvolone on