As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wargames!

• Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So this is no doubt a dumb question, but... Hearts of Iron 2. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to rebind keys. Everything is fine and dandy except with the time compression being mapped to the numpad +/- buttons. Because I'm on a laptop and don't have any.

Is there some way to change this that I'm missing? Because I can't find an in-game option and the config files don't seem to mention the bindings either.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The in-game clock is located on the upper right corner of the screen, just below your transport capacity indicator. A click will pause the game (as will pressing the "pause" key on your keyboard). Right-click it to open a menu where you can set your game speed. That's about it. As for rebinding, I don't think there's actually an in-game option. You can try poking around in the config files but I see you've done that already.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    Does anyone know which of the bigger new wargames have demos? My wargame bug is biting, but I'm poor and indecisive.

AGEod puts out demos. So does Paradox, I think. There's a demo for Hearts of Iron 2 here.

I'll join the chorus of people who love HoI2. God damn this game is fun. We should start up an epic PA WWII sim.

Also, holy shit, I just saw this reading about HoI2 Armageddon:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    With this expansion, it is now possible to link Paradox's principal strategic games (Europa Universalis: Rome (with Vae Victis), Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis II, Victoria and Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday (with Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon)) into one twenty-one-century long scenario lasting from 280 BCE to 1964 CE.
    God damn, paradox, you crazy mother fuckers.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wouldn't call the first two Europa Universalis games complicated. The only real pain in the ass is having to send merchants to centers of trade constantly. If you don't micromanage them, you can't run an economy based on trade, which leaves small countries piss-poor and unable to maintain a decent army. And if you do micromanage them, then you become a slave to your monopolies, committed to steady, monotonous clicking to defend them.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    taco144taco144 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    darksteel wrote: »
    Whoever suggested that World In Flames mod for Hearts of Iron 2, thank you, man. I downloaded it along with the Armageddon patches, and Jesus Christ it is now infinitely harder for the Japanese to do anything non-historical. In vanilla HoI, Japan was running green on steel, oil, and rare material income, which was weird since the fact that they lacked these materials was (one of the) reasons they went into war in the first place.

World In Flames makes it right and puts you into the red in these resources. Perhaps some clever trading with Burma and the Netherlands could fund any ventures into Soviet Russia or the United States, but otherwise, the difficulty of procuring resources will really lead you to China. It makes a nice case for determinism, at the very least :P.

You're welcome. I'm just glad I could spread the experience to someone else. The ai in the mod really kept the game from going stale.

taco144 on
  • Options
    War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't believe no one has posted this already.

Silent Hunter 4 crossed with Das Boot. Gold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EM4EN5OlxQ&feature=related

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I can't believe no one has posted this already.

Silent Hunter 4 crossed with Das Boot. Gold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EM4EN5OlxQ&feature=related

I keep trying to like that series, I really do. I just never feel like I know what I'm doing.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really want to try World in Flames for HoI2, it sounds great. I patched my install of Doomsday to 1.3 and installed the mod. Throws a scripting error when I try to start a game though D:

Arrath on
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Those guys at subsim are really nice, they have guides for how to hunt a ship, how to fire torpedo etc. All I did was install the Grey Wolves mod for Silent Hunter 3 and my computer couldn't handle it, too slow. I'll go back to seriously tackling vanilla one day, with the compass. I still cannot intercept boats at sea, but hey, it's fun flailing that compass and ruler as if you knew what you were doing.

I had heard of Combat Mission before, nice to know the first 3 are really good.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oohhh... Wargames! One of my favourite genres... Until the PC's started started to frustrate me with their continued 'need for hardware updates' and I went over to consoles...

My favourite wargames (if you want to play them, you might need an emulator or two) :
    - Arnhem (ZX Spectrum, by RT Smith) : Operation Market Garden, and a great scenario; you could play from Eindhoven all the way to Arnhem
    - Desert Rats (ZX Spectrum, RT Smith, the sequel to Arnhem) : introduced supply lines (you need that in the Desert) and SIMULTANEOUS movement. That took a while to get used to :winky:
    - Rebelstar Raiders (ZX Spectrum, the Gollop brothers) : tactical SciFi wargame, where you had named characters, with different weapons. And it was the first time I met 'opportunity fire' (the opponent can shoot during your movement).
    - Chaos (ZX Spectrum, the Gollop brothers) : basically Magic The Gathering 10 years BEFORE the game was invented. You play one of 8 wizards on a board where you have a set of spells. Each spell summons a troop/animal/monster that you can control. The Gooey Blob was one of the best inventions ever. Still a classic today.
    - UMS (Universal Military Simulator, Atari ST) : oh how I loved this game; you could create your own battles, and I remember entering scenarios from the French Casus Belli magazine which varied from Napoleonic wars, or Roman wars, to WWII battles. It probably wasn't that excellent, but I had great fun with it.
    - Balance of Power (Atari ST) : there you have a map of the world, and you can see which countries are friendly to the West, or friendly to the East. And yes, before you know it everything escalates and then it becomes a race of political prestige and before you know it you are in full Cold War with your finger hovering above the red button.
    - Laser Squad (Atari ST, the Gollop brothers) : The true sequel to Rebelstar Raiders, where you could give different weapons to your troops, and had destructible terrain! Oh how much fun was it to blast the walls to kill the enemy who was hiding in the toilet, or stuff grenades in potted plants.
    - Battle Isle 1 (PC) : Advance Wars on hex maps before Advance Wars existed. I liked Battle Isle 2 too, but 3 disappointed me a bit. The 'Incubation' sequel was fun too.
    - Historyline 1914-1918 (PC) : Basically Battle Isle set in WWI. Fantastic game at the time, and each battle resulted going a month further in the First Wordl War. Suddenly new units would appear (like the Gotha Bomber plane, or the Sopwith Camel, or the first tanks) so that you really had a feeling that everything evolved.
    - X-Com : UFO Enemy Unknown and Terror From The Deep (PC) : From Rebelstar Raiders to Laser Squad to this, it was a great evolution of the tactical wargame. You could research weapons, you troops gained experience, destructible terrain and fog of war.
    - Panzer General 1 & 2 (PC) and Rites of War (PC) : I love my hexmaps, and when a WWII hexgame appeared with units that gained experience, I fell in love. I also like the Warhammer 40K variant Rites of War, which basically was Panzer General with the Eldar.
    - Advance Wars (1, 2 and DS, one the Gameboy Advance/DS) : for me, it was Battle Isle (but with no hexes sadly) on a handheld. I spent many hours on the toilet with this :winky:
    - Gladius (XBox, GameCube) : a solid tactical combat/RPG set in Roman times; probably more an RPG than a wargame, but it was all about fighting and not so much about the story.
    - Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) : It's X-Com but in an alternate universe WWII setting. Yes it has Japanese graphics, yes, the story might be a bit cheesy, but the gameplay is extremely solid, and that's what is most important. And the story is actually quite good, with very lovable characters.

So I went from the home computers to the early Pentiums and then switched over to the consoles. I know I may have missed a lot of good wargames on the PC, but I am happy I am no longer PC-bound for gaming.

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    KKprofitKKprofit Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ogrebattlesnes_1.png
    snes29.png

Did they ever make anything like ogre battle? That was the only wargame I ever got into.

KKprofit on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    - Gladius (XBox, GameCube) : a solid tactical combat/RPG set in Roman times; probably more an RPG than a wargame, but it was all about fighting and not so much about the story.
    - Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) : It's X-Com but in an alternate universe WWII setting. Yes it has Japanese graphics, yes, the story might be a bit cheesy, but the gameplay is extremely solid, and that's what is most important. And the story is actually quite good, with very lovable characters.

So I went from the home computers to the early Pentiums and then switched over to the consoles. I know I may have missed a lot of good wargames on the PC, but I am happy I am no longer PC-bound for gaming.

I adored Gladius. It had coop, too; my roommates and I played it a bunch in college. I lust after Valkyria Chronicles, too. If I ever find a PS3 with backwards compatibility, I'll pick it up for that game.

PC wargames don't need much of a high-end PC anymore. Especially since many of them are older games. I bet you could play some of these on whatever you used to make that post.

KKprofit wrote: »
    ogrebattlesnes_1.png
    snes29.png

Did they ever make anything like ogre battle? That was the only wargame I ever got into.

Are there any other games like ogre battle? Not that I know of. There's Ogre Battle 64, which I think is the best of the series, and the best game on the N64.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    KKprofit wrote: »
    ogrebattlesnes_1.png
    snes29.png

Are there any other games like ogre battle? Not that I know of. There's Ogre Battle 64, which I think is the best of the series, and the best game on the N64.

Ogre Battle 64 was awesome, but more of an RPG than a war game. They need to make Ogre Battle DS quick.

Smurph on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A princess with two liches? Yeah that boss is going down.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    omg I just bought HOI2 Doomsday and I didn't even know this thread existed until after I started downloading it from GamersGate. I've just been playing so much Company of Heroes lately that it made me remember how much I enjoyed the original HOI2--and that I'd never upgraded to Doomsday.

Looking forward to a painful period of re-learning the game and then tons of funs.

Captain K on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i'e been spreading my wargame love between EU3, HoI2, and Silent Hunter 3. SH3 & 4 are so good! well they are if you love busting out a calculator to figure out firing solutions - my TI-86 is never far from the keyboard :) but really, its not too hard to plot an intercept course and setup a firing solution. especially in SH3 where once you manually enter some parameters, then lock the TDC, the periscope automatically updates the torpedo's gyro angle.

one thing that helped me was finding that 1 knot = 1.85km, so with that you can generally plot an enemies course pretty well (slow = 5-6 knots, medium = 8-9 knots, fast = probably a warship so run!). hopefully you can get a visual on the enemy when they're a good 6-8km away, giving you time to get an accurate plot of their course and speed. once you have that, try to setup a 90 degree shot (perpendicular to their path).

if you set the TDC up for 90 degrees (port or starboard depending on the approach - and make sure your scope is set to 0 when you're making this change), set the speed (if they didn't see you its probably about 5knots or 8knots, slow/med), and lock it down and wait. once they start to cross your path aim your scope where you want to hit (under the smoke stack is a nice engine room shot) and fire. but wait until your gyro angle is between 350-10 degrees (you can see this on the periscope mode). always remember to open the tube (Q button) before firing!! this is critical to hitting the ship at the right spot. oh and i usually get in to about 1.5km for the shot - but i've made them out at 4km too. it really doesn't matter as long as their course doesn't change.

so yeah, this game is awesome. i haven't installed GWX3 yet, i wanted to play vanilla a bit more before making the game harder. i just got my type VII sub and did my first patrol. think i managed to pull about 42k tons that mission, but definitely botched a few shots. having a deck gun is so awesome. can save my fish for bigger targets!

krylon666 on
  • Options
    KKprofitKKprofit Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've been told that Soul Nomad for the PS2 is a blatant Ogre battle rip off. Can anyone attest to this?

KKprofit on
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love wargames. The Combat Mission series, Highway to the Reich/Conquest of the Aegean, and the Mad Minute civil war games I feel are the best ones out there. The thing that really bugs me about the genre is how many developers are stuck in the 1980's. I shudder when I see a brand new game released that is still based on hexes.

bamjo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    Does anyone know which of the bigger new wargames have demos? My wargame bug is biting, but I'm poor and indecisive.

AGEod puts out demos. So does Paradox, I think. There's a demo for Hearts of Iron 2 here.

I'll join the chorus of people who love HoI2. God damn this game is fun. We should start up an epic PA WWII sim.

Also, holy shit, I just saw this reading about HoI2 Armageddon:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    With this expansion, it is now possible to link Paradox's principal strategic games (Europa Universalis: Rome (with Vae Victis), Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis II, Victoria and Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday (with Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon)) into one twenty-one-century long scenario lasting from 280 BCE to 1964 CE.
    God damn, paradox, you crazy mother fuckers.

It will be the end of me but I must try this.

And a question for HoI2 players out there, what is the difference between Fighters and Interceptors? I'm assuming (haven't bothered to look at the stats) fighters are more all purpose, with acceptable air and ground attack values and interceptors are more air oriented, with either no ground attack at all, or a bonus vs bomber type aircraft, or both.

Arrath on
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Theatre of War

God that was a disappointment. SO MANY BUGS!

I got that via digital download and I was so disillusioned I never even tried a patch. Big part of that was I had thought the missions were dynamic instead of canned. Canned missions are a huge turn off for me.

I really should dig out HOI Doomsday again but HOI 3 isn't incredibly far off and I've been immersed in Rome Total War in the run up for Empire. *slobber*

The 'ultimate' war game would probably be the translation of World in Flames (The board game) which was supposed to hit years ago. Considering there is another game out with the title I'm positive it's dead in the water (a case of "Hey us Aussie board game makers don't know fuck all about what it takes to make a computer program" plus random newb saying "Hey I just read 'Programming in Java for Dummies' I can make that for you!")

Oh god.

HOI more than fills the gap of course but World in Flames is SO well done it's a crying shame such an excellent turn based game will never see the computer. Plus being turn based you could actually play a full game multiplayer!

WIF covered the entire world war, the basic box included thirty six hundred chits with several more expansions. The map board which only included a two foot map of the US and SA is 18 feet side by side. My favorite part of the game is how naval combat is handled, and is I think, on of the best abstract handling of naval combat there is.

If that doesn't sound silly enough, I know groups who play the game and then use miniature rules and figures to fight the combat. Hoy!

I am a fan of the strategic movement/tactical battle style of war game, it's my favorite and that means that one of my all time favs is Star Wars Rebellion. That was a hell of a game, as dry as some found it.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sonar wrote: »
    Theatre of War

God that was a disappointment. SO MANY BUGS!

I got that via digital download and I was so disillusioned I never even tried a patch. Big part of that was I had thought the missions were dynamic instead of canned. Canned missions are a huge turn off for me.

I really should dig out HOI Doomsday again but HOI 3 isn't incredibly far off and I've been immersed in Rome Total War in the run up for Empire. *slobber*

The 'ultimate' war game would probably be the translation of World in Flames (The board game) which was supposed to hit years ago. Considering there is another game out with the title I'm positive it's dead in the water (a case of "Hey us Aussie board game makers don't know fuck all about what it takes to make a computer program" plus random newb saying "Hey I just read 'Programming in Java for Dummies' I can make that for you!")

Oh god.

HOI more than fills the gap of course but World in Flames is SO well done it's a crying shame such an excellent turn based game will never see the computer. Plus being turn based you could actually play a full game multiplayer!

WIF covered the entire world war, the basic box included thirty six hundred chits with several more expansions. The map board which only included a two foot map of the US and SA is 18 feet side by side. My favorite part of the game is how naval combat is handled, and is I think, on of the best abstract handling of naval combat there is.

If that doesn't sound silly enough, I know groups who play the game and then use miniature rules and figures to fight the combat. Hoy!

I am a fan of the strategic movement/tactical battle style of war game, it's my favorite and that means that one of my all time favs is Star Wars Rebellion. That was a hell of a game, as dry as some found it.

Rebellion is my favorite Star Wars game.

You should check out World War One if you're interested in a monster game. It's an computer adaptation of La Grande Guerre, which is the WWI analogue of WIF.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Arrath wrote: »
    And a question for HoI2 players out there, what is the difference between Fighters and Interceptors? I'm assuming (haven't bothered to look at the stats) fighters are more all purpose, with acceptable air and ground attack values and interceptors are more air oriented, with either no ground attack at all, or a bonus vs bomber type aircraft, or both.

Interceptors have very limited dog fighting capabilities, but are fast and thus can be used to maintain air superiority. In an offensive, this means that they can act as screening units for escort and Tac/Str bomber formations because of their high sight value (remember that you must SEE air units before you can attack or maneuver to evade them. First sight grants you a great advantage in air and naval combat). They can also tie down any incoming fighters or interceptors until your fighters can arrive for mop up. Deployed in spread patterns across the province you're targeting for bombing, they do a great job of alerting you to enemy air cover so you can react quickly.

Their real strength is in defense, however. Interceptors do indeed receive a defensive bonus versus bombers, and they tear them up real good as well. Their speed also means that they do a good job of evading the guns on bombers, and a moderate job at evading fighters. Beware of escort fighters however, as it is their solemn duty to keep interceptors away from bombers. Have fighters or more interceptors at the ready to engage escort fighters with interceptors pressing the assault on bombers.

Fighters are the infantry of the air. They do a moderate job intercepting bombers (though their average of speed obviously means they must have already been performing a CAP to intercept), and an excellent job dogfighting interceptors and escorts. Their sight range is not that high, so they must rely on screens or radar for first sight advantage. They have a higher operational range however, which makes them a bit more flexible than interceptors. Offensively, their main use is providing rear line reserve for escort and Tac/Str bomber formations. They can maintain air superiority and gain tremendous advantage over grounded planes (as may be obvious). They can also be used for interdiction purposes, but this isn't recommended.

Defensively, they can be used to engage escort fighters guarding Tac/Str bomber formations, thus freeing your interceptors to tear up the bombers. They do a fairly good job of destroying bombers, but their lack of speed and specialized firepower may mean that bombers can still accomplish their mission while taking casualties, so use with caution.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    PoppinHobbitPoppinHobbit Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sonar wrote: »
    Theatre of War

Matrix games is developing a exactly what you describe....

www.matrixgames.com , if you look in the forums it's under 'currently in development' and it looks good.

PoppinHobbit on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    After a couple days back into it, I'm kinda understanding HoI2 again.

It's currently February of 1941, and France remains soveriegn and strong! The Empire of Japan (me) snuggled up to the United Kingdom over the years of 1936 and 1937 with designs on her impressive research capability, and in 1938 Japan released its puppet state of Manchuko so it could join the Allies. Bending all of its will toward creating a dominant air force, Japan traded research with the UK and now boasts the largest, most modern air force on the planet.

Slow to respond initially, the Japanese High Command watched with dismay as Poland fell to the Nazi advance in the fall of 1939, but once mobilized and rebased in the United Kingdom and France, the Japanese air force stopped the Germans in their tracks. Nearly 30 divisions of interceptors, fighters, and tactical and strategic bombers proudly carried the Rising Sun to Europe. In a massive air campaign that began in the summer of 1940, German dive bombers were repulsed by the sudden Japanese air superiority and grounded by daily runway cratering missions. Meanwhile, Japanese tactical bombers sowed chaos among German troops on the front lines. German field commanders postponed and re-postponed their plans to blitz through the Ardennes forests and circumvent the Maginot Line, eventually cancelling them in disgust.

It's now February 1941, and exhausted Japanese airmen have all been granted an extended respite from the merciless bombing missions. Japan's relentless technological marathon continued during 1940 and the already state-of-the-art planes flown by its pilots are being replaced by bleeding-edge designs that the Luftwaffe can't hope to compete with. The only question is--will the Wehrmacht take advantage of the brief hiatus in Japan's air campaign to launch a lightning strike and pour into France?

I'm such a nerd, I fucking love this stuff

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Captain K wrote: »

It's currently February of 1941, and France remains soveriegn and strong! The Empire of Japan (me) snuggled up to the United Kingdom over the years of 1936 and 1937 with designs on her impressive research capability, and in 1938 Japan released its puppet state of Manchuko so it could join the Allies. Bending all of its will toward creating a dominant air force, Japan traded research with the UK and now boasts the largest, most modern air force on the planet.

Slow to respond initially, the Japanese High Command watched with dismay as Poland fell to the Nazi advance in the fall of 1939, but once mobilized and rebased in the United Kingdom and France, the Japanese air force stopped the Germans in their tracks. Nearly 30 divisions of interceptors, fighters, and tactical and strategic bombers proudly carried the Rising Sun to Europe. In a massive air campaign that began in the summer of 1940, German dive bombers were repulsed by the sudden Japanese air superiority and grounded by daily runway cratering missions. Meanwhile, Japanese tactical bombers sowed chaos among German troops on the front lines. German field commanders postponed and re-postponed their plans to blitz through the Ardennes forests and circumvent the Maginot Line, eventually cancelling them in disgust.

It's now February 1941, and exhausted Japanese airmen have all been granted an extended respite from the merciless bombing missions. Japan's relentless technological marathon continued during 1940 and the already state-of-the-art planes flown by its pilots are being replaced by bleeding-edge designs that the Luftwaffe can't hope to compete with. The only question is--will the Wehrmacht take advantage of the brief hiatus in Japan's air campaign to launch a lightning strike and pour into France?

That sounds great. This has me pumped to get good at this game. At the moment, I'm Siam getting ground into dust by a vengeful Britain. It turns out they're kind of protective about India.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not sure if its entirely in the right genre, but did anybody ever play Fantasy Wars?

Basically it was basically Warhammer on your computer, you start off with a set amount of points you can use to buy your units, from the basic units you can upgrade them to about 5 or so levels on a branching tree and give them special perks and upgrades that add a lot of depth to the game.

880_Fantasy_Wars_006.jpg

The various terrain types and fortifications affect your units combat stats, speed and other details. It was great the amount of depth they managed to squeeze into the game, one of my favorite tactics was leaving a relatively weak and vulnerable shaman sitting on a forest path with a couple of skirmishers on either side, so that when the enemy go for the shaman the skirmishers get an auto-attack with a massive bonus and leave them so badly maimed they're likely to lose the combat.

fantasy-wars-7.jpg

It just occoured to me i've done a horrible job of describing the game, but its late and i'm tired so meh.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Concerning the Empire bullshit.

Ok, the deal is this.

20$ more is the price of the collectors edition if you bought it brick and mortar. The only thing you can get through steam is the units but EA won't let steam reduce the price.... So 5 units for 20$

:(

To make this worse different outlets are offering different units. You can only get the Constitution if you order through play.com .

Such bs!

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm sorry let me clarify.

You can get bonus units outside of the 5 unit specal forces pack if you order through certain places. Right now if you want all the bonus units you'd have to order 3 copies of the game.

This is separate from the 5 unit special forces pack. Those 5 units are static.

Bottom line: wait for someone to mod the extra units in. Don't pay for them and don't Award stores that do this. Get the basic game and wait.

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not sure if its entirely in the right genre, but did anybody ever play Fantasy Wars?

Basically it was basically Warhammer on your computer, you start off with a set amount of points you can use to buy your units, from the basic units you can upgrade them to about 5 or so levels on a branching tree and give them special perks and upgrades that add a lot of depth to the game.

[I MG]http://www.1cpublishing.eu/screenshot/data/games/19/880_Fantasy_Wars_006.jpg[/IMG]

The various terrain types and fortifications affect your units combat stats, speed and other details. It was great the amount of depth they managed to squeeze into the game, one of my favorite tactics was leaving a relatively weak and vulnerable shaman sitting on a forest path with a couple of skirmishers on either side, so that when the enemy go for the shaman the skirmishers get an auto-attack with a massive bonus and leave them so badly maimed they're likely to lose the combat.

[IM G]http://www.gamersgate.com/screens/DD-FW/fantasy-wars-7.jpg[/IMG]

It just occoured to me i've done a horrible job of describing the game, but its late and i'm tired so meh.

I have never heard of this, this sounds awesome. Is it multiplayer?

rayofash on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Captain K wrote: »

That sounds great. This has me pumped to get good at this game. At the moment, I'm Siam getting ground into dust by a vengeful Britain. It turns out they're kind of protective about India.

This is the best part of this game, when everything is totally different from history. I had one game where Venezuelan troops somehow wound up in Iran. The weird thing is I was playing as neither country, so it was totally the AI's doing. Scared the crap out of me.

Smurph on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Smurph wrote: »

This is the best part of this game, when everything is totally different from history. I had one game where Venezuelan troops somehow wound up in Iran. The weird thing is I was playing as neither country, so it was totally the AI's doing. Scared the crap out of me.[/QUOTE]

There's a genius After Action Report for original HoI called "Battleship for Bhutan" where the whole idea is for the guy to control Bhutan and build 1 battleship before the second world war ends.

In case you don't know, Bhutan is land-locked.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How about a nice game of chess?
    Defcon.jpg

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The best HoI game I ever had was when, as the USA, I managed to more or less turn into a facist dictatorship, get myself into the Axis and then conquer the entierty of North and South America while my German allies (bolstered by the huge ammounts of excess resources I was giving them, along with a large ammount of tech) stomped Europe and Russia. Once that was done I turned my eyes to other members of the Allies and by the time the game ended I had taken Australia, French North Africa, and half of England.

That English navy defends its homeland against landing flotallias something fierce D:.

Arrath on
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So maybe I am just not understanding diplomacy in HoI2

I've started a game in 1936 as Canada, it's now August of 1938, and while I've had some very nice technological advances in tanks, aircraft carriers, and bombers... I can't use them.

I get that I can't declare war all willy-nilly, which is not my plan, but with the Spanish civil war raging, I figured I'd try to assist Republican Spain, but I can't. I only seem to have a chance of 20 for either planting spies anywhere, or diplomatic options being accepted.

Republican Spain won't even accept a Non-Agression Pact. Woe is me.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It can be impossible to have certain diplomatic stuff happen no matter how much you influence another country. It's tough to make some of the more anti-historical things happen.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah it can be, I think I had to hack with the scripting to allow my USA to join the Axis.

Arrath on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you really feel like going to war with some fuckers:

hit F12

type 'freedom'

you can now change your government sliders all you want, go wild!

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    rayofash wrote: »

[I MG]http://www.1cpublishing.eu/screenshot/data/games/19/880_Fantasy_Wars_006.jpg[/IMG]

[IM G]http://www.gamersgate.com/screens/DD-FW/fantasy-wars-7.jpg[/IMG]

I have never heard of this, this sounds awesome. Is it multiplayer?

Yes it is, but i could never find anybody to play against :( The game only supports LAN or direct connection for multiplayer, but it'd be a really great one to do a tournament for if you could find enough people.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I'm stilling playing EU2 and am I guess doing the way it's supposed to be done, with diplomacy and trade and choosing my wars very carefully, watching my BB score, and all that and while I having something like twice as many victory points as the next highest country, and thus could probably win easily my just coasting along, I just don't feel like it's my style.

So I'm just going to start some wars and take provinces and screw diplomacy. I'll take on all of Europe if they get in my way.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm a big fan of SSG games. I still spend time playing Carriers at War ( the ancient DOS original, available here from SSG ) and Korsun Pocket is great Eastern Front carnage. The AI really is clever in both games, I always feel like I have to work for an advantage.

I also really enjoy TacOps, for modern simulation. It's fairly easy to get into, comes with a metric butt ton of real world resources ( field guides, manuals, doctrine ), and enough scenarios to keep anyone busy. Multiplayer is supposed to be great, but also complex to organize and execute.

The lack of Harpoon in this thread also needs to be addressed. Anyone who is looking for wargames with long lasting single player appeal would do well with any of these, but I think Harpoon edges the others out in the long run.

edit: Oops on the Harpoon linkage. Proper Wiki page is now linked.

Drake on