Options

[90's comics] [NSFW?] Because crotch-to-air missiles are soo awesome...

2»

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Vulcan didn't exist in the 90's

There were many would-be 3rd Summers' brothers until Vulcan was created and declared the winner of that dead-end sweepstakes

Personally, I always found Gambit to be my favorite editorial choice.

but much like every single other story idea anyone has ever had for Gambit, it ultimately went nowhere and the character has been pretty much exactly the same shallow one note for his almost 2 decades of existence.
    I just liked it because Gambit is some kind of bizarro Wolverine. Every writer has this urge to throw some new and "Never Before Seen" storyline into Wolverine's backstory until it became this huge and unwieldy mess. But with Gambit the idea seemed to be to throw him into everyone else's backstory. The idea of making Cyclops secretly related to Gambit just tickled my funnybone every time it was mentioned.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Vulcan didn't exist in the 90's

There were many would-be 3rd Summers' brothers until Vulcan was created and declared the winner of that dead-end sweepstakes

Personally, I always found Gambit to be my favorite editorial choice.

but much like every single other story idea anyone has ever had for Gambit, it ultimately went nowhere and the character has been pretty much exactly the same shallow one note for his almost 2 decades of existence.
    I just liked it because Gambit is some kind of bizarro Wolverine. Every writer has this urge to throw some new and "Never Before Seen" storyline into Wolverine's backstory until it became this huge and unwieldy mess. But with Gambit the idea seemed to be to throw him into everyone else's backstory. The idea of making Cyclops secretly related to Gambit just tickled my funnybone every time it was mentioned.

Every time I see gambit, I'm amazed that his design has changed so little from when he was first created. That is, it's still silly and 90's as hell.

Shorty on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have to admit though, that I have begun to tolerate Gambit.

Mike Carey seems to actually want to do something interesting with him, and he managed to make me not hate him in his appearences during Messiah Complex and in X-Men: Legacy

Of course it will probably end up going nowhere and then I will just hate Gambit that much more

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    bale what is going on in your sig

Skull Man on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    why do comic book readers hate Cajuns so much

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Butler wrote: »
    adamxthextremeej0.jpg

oh god the backwards hat

I think that comic cover best sums up the mid-90's.

I looked at this and thought "I bet this motherfucker bleeds mountain dew and shits snowboards" and then I find out his power has to do with ELECTROLYTES . . . god loves me.

RE: Gambit et al . . . why does EVERYONE in the marvel universe who is of some nationality have a strong version of that nationality's accent? Can't ANYONE in the marvel universe ever go, "Yeah I'm from Ireland but you can barely tell because I'm not daffy as fuck" or "Why yes, I do happen to be from Louisianna, but sometime during my long wandering adulthood I have figured out the only place you can actually get away with calling someone ma patite, ma cherie, or ma amie are the French Quarter and bad novels?"

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey, I actually have that issue of Doom Patrol with the Codpiece guy in it.

That whole part of the series was kind of fucked up. It's like the writers who got it after "Crawling Through the Wreckage" ended said, "Hey, that last series was pretty weird. Let's all snort Bar Keeper's Friend and do the craziest shit we can think of and just kind of drop the DP in the middle. Oh, and let's keep switching artists so that by the end, the art is so bad, it looks like a Downs Syndrome child is drawing it by jamming a magic marker up their ass."

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Adam is a Shi'ar/human hybrid, and as such possesses the traits and abilities of both species. His strength is slightly superhuman, and his stamina and endurance is many times that of a normal human. Adam's speed and reflexes are far superior to both human and Shi'ar. As he is also half Shi-ar, who are evolved from giant birds of prey, he also possesses superhuman senses, agility, flexibility, dexterity, coordination, and balance which are standard to that alien race.

In addition to being a hybrid, Adam is also a mutant who possesses the X-gene, due to his half-human heritage, and has the power to "flash fry" an enemy. He can cause the electrolytes present in oxygenated blood to ignite, causing the person to burn from the inside out. Any person with an open cut becomes a target for him. To this end he carries Shi'ar blades, known as Thet’je blades, to cut his enemies and thus oxygenate their blood. Adam uses a trigger word of "Burn" to activate this power and his eyes glow red.

So at some point in the near future all the bad fanfic writers of the world get sent back in time and write comics in the mid 90s.

With this knowledge things make a lot more sense now.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i knew a guy with a bunch of horny biker slut

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    speaking of stupid shit from 90's comics, here's something I found in some DC book I can't recall the name of now. I find it to be unfailingly hilarious, every time I see it.

HDTV.jpg

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    but that looks like it's intentionally being ridiculous, perhaps to parody the kind of shit you're talking about

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    the dude had set up his shipment of tvs to send out some kind of mass hypnosis signal, or something.

I think it was in a Nightwing annual, or something to that effect.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That is the least convincing bruise ever. That is like a patch of fucking purple lichen or something growing on his face.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Koshian wrote: »
    is that fucking cobra commander

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobra_(comics)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    man does anyone remember "bad babes with butts to die for"

it was a crazy interlude in a regular comic, just a team of hot babes doing something, all shots centered on their asses

Skull Man on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    comic_radioactive001.jpg

my cousin had this
    skeleton glows in the dark

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I started reading comics in the 90s. I only read GI Joe and GI Joe Special Missions, and the odd issue of whatever else came in those three packs some store (Rite-Aid?) used to do some times. I enjoyed the back issues much more than the current issues. Somewhere around issue 110 or so the comic just became a really obvious commercial for the toys, and then around 120 it got all ninja-crazy and neon and even more terrible.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Skull Man wrote: »
    man does anyone remember "bad babes with butts to die for"

it was a crazy interlude in a regular comic, just a team of hot babes doing something, all shots centered on their asses

google image search didn't come up with any comics

still a pretty good selection of pictures though

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    RE: Gambit et al . . . why does EVERYONE in the marvel universe who is of some nationality have a strong version of that nationality's accent? Can't ANYONE in the marvel universe ever go, "Yeah I'm from Ireland but you can barely tell because I'm not daffy as fuck" or "Why yes, I do happen to be from Louisianna, but sometime during my long wandering adulthood I have figured out the only place you can actually get away with calling someone ma patite, ma cherie, or ma amie are the French Quarter and bad novels?"

I like that Siryn is a hell of a lot less "Oirish" than she used to be. Makes sense too, since a) Noone talks like that outside bad American movies and/or Star Trek episodes about the Irish and b) even in sliding comic time, she's been living in the 'States for years.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I like that Siryn is a hell of a lot less "Oirish" than she used to be. Makes sense too, since a) Noone talks like that outside bad American movies and/or Star Trek episodes about the Irish and b) even in sliding comic time, she's been living in the 'States for years.

that won't last. another writer will come along and say "She's Irish! I know how to write Irish!".

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Caulk Bite wrote: »

that won't last. another writer will come along and say "She's Irish! I know how to write Irish!".

Siryn should really have 20 kids by now

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Shameful thing is it will probably be Garth Ennis that does this

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Shameful thing is it will probably be Garth Ennis that does this

To be fair, Ennis actually talks like he stepped outside of a bad American movie.

And he will never write the X-Men, unless they go hang out with the Punisher. And get face punched

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So does radioactive man have any superpower besides getting super-cancer?

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Artreus wrote: »

He has an austrian accent that's hard to understand.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

If you're talking about the Marvel Comics Radioactive Man, he's a big burly Chinese guy who is also a brilliant scientist and he has the ability to create all kinds of radiation.

EDIT: Ah, the Simpsons one. I didn't know because the image wouldn't load for me but now it does.

Well I guess he has a lightning bolt stuck in his head.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Some way or another he has stopped the sun from exploding more than once.

Marathon on
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

In all likelihood it's done to establish multinationalism and give Marvel universe a sense of scope that goes beyond America, but comics being comics the way they were back then, the only way they could do it was to overdo it

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I stopped reading superhero comics in the 90s, although back then I read Marvel exclusively. Around 96, I think, full of Liefeld and faux-anime art, I had enough. I didn't get back into superhero comics until 10 or so years later, about 2 years ago.

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    speaking of stupid shit from 90's comics, here's something I found in some DC book I can't recall the name of now. I find it to be unfailingly hilarious, every time I see it.

HDTV.jpg

Why the hell is Serpentor in DC?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kobra has been around since before G.I. Joe you dumb babies

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Adam is a Shi'ar/human hybrid, and as such possesses the traits and abilities of both species. His strength is slightly superhuman, and his stamina and endurance is many times that of a normal human. Adam's speed and reflexes are far superior to both human and Shi'ar. As he is also half Shi-ar, who are evolved from giant birds of prey, he also possesses superhuman senses, agility, flexibility, dexterity, coordination, and balance which are standard to that alien race.

In addition to being a hybrid, Adam is also a mutant who possesses the X-gene, due to his half-human heritage, and has the power to "flash fry" an enemy. He can cause the electrolytes present in oxygenated blood to ignite, causing the person to burn from the inside out. Any person with an open cut becomes a target for him. To this end he carries Shi'ar blades, known as Thet’je blades, to cut his enemies and thus oxygenate their blood. Adam uses a trigger word of "Burn" to activate this power and his eyes glow red.

God help you if you drank gatoride before you fight Adam X

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    We already have a comics thread, I don't think we need one specifically for the 90's yet.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
This discussion has been closed.