As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can the public have a stake in popular, privately owned things?

emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
When a brand, a mascot, an iconic toy, or a place gain world recognition, does that thing then belong to the world? I don't mean government-owned monuments or pieces you'd find in a museum - I mean things that are privately owned by individuals or corporations but still have a broad enough appeal to weave themselves into different pop cultures. Super memes that last for decades. Mickey Mouse, Ronald McDonald, the White Album, all kinds of sports stadiums, Barbie dolls, Superman, Oprah's TV show, the Super Mario Bros. - these things have a huge impact on pop cultures and even if they're not relevant anymore, they sustain themselves through nostalgia and DVD boxsets.

So, these mascots and stadiums consume a few of our thoughts. They're important to us. Does that mean we all get to symbolically own a piece of them? Take Superman - he's both a symbol of the forthright American values and American imperialism. He's portrayed as a Messiah-like super being that fans look up to and he's recognized by more than half the people on the planet. How can the two creators or a comics publishing company own Superman? Now I don't mean all the Superman fans take home some of the cash the Man of Steel has brought in since the 30's. But there is a responsibility by the publishers to not only keep Superman around, but also keep him consistent in behavior to his golden age self.

When an iconic figure, fictional or not, gets so big they belong to the world, I think that means they can't change. Superman will always catch people falling off buildings, Big Bird will warmly greet young kids and teach them to count, the Pillsbury dough boy will keep rolling out balls of dough every TV commercial like Sisyphus rolls a boulder. The icons can't change or stop or else there'd be a confused outcry.

Do creators/owners lose power over their creations/property when they become too well-known? Do companies have a responsibility to keep these icons going for the loyal fans' sake even if they're not profitable? Do consumers have to protect icons, too? ("American automakers are dying so buy American vehicles!" for example.)

emnmnme on

• Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Instinctively, I want to say yes, but I can't think of any rational reason why I, as a consumer, should have a say in someone else's intellectual property.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nope. They become the public when the copyright expires. Now I believe that we should go back to something closer to the original timeline for copyright expiration which would put mickey mouse into the public domain for instance.

Neaden on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Symbolic ownership counts as much as symbolic money.

You're probably one of those people that actually thinks Lucas had a responsibility to make Han shoot first. Anyone can screw up their intellectual property as bad as they want to.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Besides I think the public view of these things now exists largely independently of the media they're in. If DC comics decide to make superman into a super-rapist I don't think it would change public perception of the character one bit (although the same can't be said for public opinion of DC comics).

Starcross on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No, it does not.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited December 2008

You're probably one of those people that actually thinks Lucas had a responsibility to make Han shoot first. Anyone can screw up their intellectual property as bad as they want to.

D:

Alright, fair enough. But what about routine or tradition?

Is Baskin Robbins capable selling 32 ice cream flavors rather than the traditional 31? I don't think they'd ever want to since they're so well-known for the 31. Consistency is a selling point for some bizarre reason. They're famous for 31 flavors even though being famous for any number of flavors is no good reason to be famous in the first place.

If Baskin Robbins stopped selling 31-derful flavors, people would say, "Fuck those guys! I'm getting some Ben and Jerry's!" If you don't think the backlash would be that severe, remember the riots and looting associated with New Coke. Consumers won't let companies change their recipes.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    If Baskin Robbins stopped selling 31-derful flavors, people would say, "Fuck those guys! I'm getting some Ben and Jerry's!" If you don't think the backlash would be that severe, remember the riots and looting associated with New Coke. Consumers won't let companies change their recipes.

o_O

Companies change their recipes all the time, often to no or even positive results.

The general consensus is that new coke didn't taste as good and they stopped offering old coke at the same time. If they had just launched new coke while still offering old coke there would have been no back lash, new coke just would have gotten hardly any sales.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A similar idea is if the whole world has a stake in incredibly known cultural things that one nation has the legal rights to. Say, if Egypt wanted to clear out the Pyramids for a parking lot, does the rest of the world have the right to intervene?

Or a real world example, do Muslims all over the world have the right to stop Saudis from building gigantic shrine to capitalism right next to Mecca or redesigning it?
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/shame-of-the-house-of-saud-shadows-over-mecca-474736.html
    http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/dailynews/2008/11/foster_and_hadid_to_redesign_mecca.html

Hope I'm not going too off-topic here, just thought this is interestihng.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I told you in your last thread. No. You're entitled to jack shit.

Quid on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Another variation: Do people have a right to be pissed off when a webcomic they like stops updating for months and months?

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Another variation: Do people have a right to be pissed off when a webcomic they like stops updating for months and months?
    Sure. But they aren't owed anything by the creators of that web comic.

Quid on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Only if you had a contract with the webcomic creator where you paid him X dollars for Y comics a week. :P

I mean, you can be upset, sure. You can get upset about whatever you like, but the webcomic creator doesn't owe you a webcomic.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    property rights, whether they be intellectual or real, are granted by the government.

can the public, through the government or through lack of protection, have a stake in private things?

of course. it happens every year when rights expire or when they are taken away under eminent domain.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

D:

Alright, fair enough. But what about routine or tradition?

Is Baskin Robbins capable selling 32 ice cream flavors rather than the traditional 31? I don't think they'd ever want to since they're so well-known for the 31. Consistency is a selling point for some bizarre reason. They're famous for 31 flavors even though being famous for any number of flavors is no good reason to be famous in the first place.

None of this refutes my point. You don't have a stake in anything. These producers have a stake in the public still buying their crap and that's it.

I mean, you can say that this is the way things should be because I say so as much as you want, and indeed you are, but it doesn't really work that way.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ketherial wrote: »
    property rights, whether they be intellectual or real, are granted by the government.

can the public, through the government or through lack of protection, have a stake in private things?

of course. it happens every year when rights expire or when they are taken away under eminent domain.
    When rights expire they're no longer private.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Ketherial wrote: »

When rights expire they're no longer private.

Also the public having rights to Sherlock Holmes doesn't mean you get a say in how people anyone writes Sherlock Holmes, let alone how Arthur Conan Doyle did.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Only if you had a contract with the webcomic creator where you paid him X dollars for Y comics a week. :P

I mean, you can be upset, sure. You can get upset about whatever you like, but the webcomic creator doesn't owe you a webcomic.

Charlie Brown is a world-famous comic strip. Webcomics aren't quite there yet. Still niche.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still drag Bill Watterson back to his doodling desk by force if I could. :P

Here's another one - how about the moon? The moon was claimed for mankind when we first got up there. That makes it extremely difficult to imagine a company or government with the means to develop its surface to claim dominion there.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    How the fucking Hell is the moon a privately owned thing?

Quid on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    How the fucking Hell is the moon a privately owned thing?

I bought it on Ebay for $30,000. It is privately owned.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Charlie Brown is a world-famous comic strip. Webcomics aren't quite there yet. Still niche.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still drag Bill Watterson back to his doodling desk by force if I could. :P

Here's another one - how about the moon? The moon was claimed for mankind when we first got up there. That makes it extremely difficult to imagine a company or government with the means to develop its surface to claim dominion there.

The moon is extremely difficult to get to. When someone goes there, and starts mining Helium 3, good luck stopping them.

It's also a total non starter because the moon isn't a popular, privately-owned thing. It's a celestial body.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

The moon is extremely difficult to get to. When someone goes there, and starts mining Helium 3, good luck stopping them.

It's also a total non starter because the moon isn't a popular, privately-owned thing. It's a celestial body.

I'd say the moon's already pretty popular. If territory could be owned privately in the future is what I'm wondering.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I'd say the moon's already pretty popular. If territory could be owned privately in the future is what I'm wondering.

The Earth is pretty popular too, and we don't seem to have a problem owning territory here.

Antarctica is similarly the possession of no singular nation but there are various national camps there.

I still don't see what this has to do with your original argument, which seems to be that things belong to the world when they become popular. They don't. We can certainly dote on them but no matter how big a hard on I have for Dr. House or Coke I neither possess nor have decision making power over them.

I don't know how many times this needs to be said to you.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    As far as I know, Antarctica is not romanticized like the moon is. Antarctica is popular with penguins at most.
    I mean, you can say that this is the way things should be because I say so as much as you want, and indeed you are, but it doesn't really work that way.

??....this is the way things are. You keep claiming you have no decision making power but that's my point - the decision rarely comes up. Superman is always Superman. Sherlock Holmes is always a detective. Companies conserve icons because they can't do anything else with them. The value is in the consistency.

EDIT: Let me say this right now: when I write "Can't do anything else with them", please don't link videos of Fred Astaire dancing with a vacuum cleaner.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Only if they're paying for it.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Corvus wrote: »

People have an inalienable right to be pissed off at any time for any reason. Having the right to be pissed off is distinct from the right for renumeration.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Corvus wrote: »

People have an inalienable right to be pissed off at any time for any reason. Having the right to be pissed off is distinct from the right for renumeration.

Whether we have the "right" to do anything is moot when we're going to do it anyway. Of course this is quite the slippery slope, as one could argue we don't have the "right" to breathe oxygen. What defines a right, anyway? I don't know, don't really care. I'll let the philosophers figure that one out.

A little more on topic, I'm not sure what is being said here. No, we don't have stake in popular, privately owned intellectual properties. If someone chooses to change that we can, but we currently don't. Companies want to succeed so they will follow current trends in the market and listen to their consumers, but that by no means the consumer has any control over the IP. If the company decides to drive their IP into the ground there is nothing you or I can do about it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What exactly do you want here? I don't get it at all.

You mention superman a few times, so lets just use him? Do you want all the private rights to superman to be taken away from the people who currently own it? Or is the public supposed to get a percentage stake in it's profits? When do the rights to your own creations get taken away from you? What level of popularity must be avoided so that you don't lose the rights to your own creations?

You are very confusing.

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    If the company decides to drive their IP into the ground there is nothing you or I can do about it.

Sounds fun. What are your thoughts on morality clauses?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They don't have a 'stake' in any usual sense of the word, but as a work becomes more and more ingrained into the culture, it becomes less and less the property of the creator. This is why copyrights expire.

Essentially, the answer is yes, but it's not a useful yes.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They don't have a 'stake' in any usual sense of the word, but as a work becomes more and more ingrained into the culture, it becomes less and less the property of the creator. This is why copyrights expire.

Thread over?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm guessing not because that's the kind of thing everyone has been saying since the start.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Feral wrote: »

Thread over?

From the OP:
    [strike]Do creators/owners lose power over their creations/property when they become too well-known?[/strike]
    Do companies have a responsibility to keep these icons going for the loyal fans' sake even if they're not profitable?
    Do consumers have to protect icons, too? ("American automakers are dying so buy American vehicles!" for example.)

emnmnme on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Not if Disney has anything to say about it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If an icon isn't profitable it most likely doesn't have a very large base of fans, so I would say that a company should not engage in ventures that would likely lead to its own destruction for the sake of a small number of fans. A webcomic with a dedicated but small following is not obligated to continue at the expense of the creator's health or financial stability, either. Neither a company or an individual is a slave to the whims of its consumer or fan base.

Likewise, a customer has no obligation to support a company simply because that company produces a national icon. A company can't be autonomous when it's doing well but expect the support of its customers and even non-customers when they are doing poorly.

The American automobile manufacturers is an unideal example of this, because the reason why you might support them is not because they are national icons but because hundreds of thousands of people rely on them to live.

If it is vital to a great number of people that an "icon" continue to exist and the company cannot sustain it themselves then these people can get together and buy the rights themselves.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Thread over?

From the OP:
    [strike]Do creators/owners lose power over their creations/property when they become too well-known?[/strike]
    Do companies have a responsibility to keep these icons going for the loyal fans' sake even if they're not profitable?
    Do consumers have to protect icons, too? ("American automakers are dying so buy American vehicles!" for example.)

No and no. Plenty of icons will come and go. See the "where's the beef?" woman and the Taco Bell dog for starters, as well as the long slow death of American automakers.

More generally, no one has to do anything. News at 11.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Thread over?

From the OP:

Copyright expiration answers your second question and mostly your third question, too. Once copyright expires, the "consumers" or "fans" now have the capability to keep cultural "icons" going if they believe them to be important. And if you want to create an American auto company that doesn't suck, you're perfectly free to.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »
    If an icon isn't profitable it most likely doesn't have a very large base of fans, so I would say that a company should not engage in ventures that would likely lead to its own destruction for the sake of a small number of fans. A webcomic with a dedicated but small following is not obligated to continue at the expense of the creator's health or financial stability, either. Neither a company or an individual is a slave to the whims of its consumer or fan base.

Keep in mind, pop culture icons aren't immortal. Betty Boop, Popeye, American railways are fading and they have far fewer dedicated fans now compared to a couple decades ago. That doesn't mean a great deal on people know of them and think well of them. You can still buy Popeye's brand spinach and Betty Boop motorcycle seat covers.

A company is a slave to the almighty dollar. A famous individual is a slave to a special set of customs and appearances if they want to remain famous. If they don't keep up an expected image, they're forced to retire. If it helps, think of it this way: Elvis was his own man but Elvis' persona belonged to the world.

And the old Wendy's lady and Taco Bell dog aren't icons!!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are we having an argument or just discussing the realities, or proposed realities, of how all all of this works. Because I thought we were having an argument, and I don't see how you're refuting what I'm saying.

Are you saying that these companies or individuals need to bend to the will of consumers or that they should for the sake of the consumers.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

What's the difference between them and Popeye? Are we not counting characters from advertising campaigns now?

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

What's the difference between them and Popeye? Are we not counting characters from advertising campaigns now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oFpUW11RPs&feature=related

World wide recognition ... lasting appeal ... Leaning tower of Pisa is iconic because people usually identify it instantly. The Budweiser frogs, not so much.

emnmnme on