As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Utorrent interrupts wireless access?

TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
Hi, and thanks in advance.
My better half's laptop has been losing wireless signal seemingly at random since she got in on Xmas. We just noticed that it had been without problems for the entire day, and when I fired up Utorrent just after saying that, she lost her signal.

Router is a Linksys WRT54GS (dd-wrt). Any ideas on how to fix this (other than don't use Utorrent, I suppose).

TL DR on

• Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Try reducing the number of connections that uTorrent is allowed to make, and make sure that you limit your upload speed to ~80% of your connections maximum (also limit your download speed to around 80-90%).

You would also be well served enabling QoS on your router. The DD-WRT firmware have nice instructions for how to configure this (if memory serves me right, I'm using the Tomato firmware now but I used to use DD-WRT) in the router ui itself.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, mass torrent connections fuck my wireless as well. Just play with the max connections until you get something stable.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Router is a Linksys WRT54GS (dd-wrt).
    There's your problem.

Azio on
  • Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Please elaborate on how his linksys router model number is his problem.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's a terrible router and it can't handle bittorrent.

I figured that after six years and countless horror stories this had become common knowledge, but apparently not.

Azio on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have a Motorola Surfboard and have the same exact problem. Running Bittorrent over Wi-Fi makes the whole router crash.

The only way I was able to solve it was to hook up a dedicated torrent box to a wired port on the router. Then it worked fine.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Funny, I had this problem, except it was with BitComet.

Then I switched to uTorrent and had no more problems.

Actually, there were still problems with my modem lights turning off (therefore no connection). Eventually we called the cable guy over and he replaced all the coax cables in our house, and it seems to have solved the problem (couple months now with no probs...).

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. For the record, the torrenting was on a wired connection.

TL DR on
  • Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    It's a terrible router and it can't handle bittorrent.

I figured that after six years and countless horror stories this had become common knowledge, but apparently not.

Helpful!

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. For the record, the torrenting was on a wired connection.

So, since I was having this same problem (on both wired and wireless connections to the router), I decided to install DD-WRT (mini) on my Linksys WRT54G last night.

Changing the firmware alone didn't immediately fix the issue, but I did notice the new setting for "IP Filter Settings/Maximum Ports" which was set to 512. Right below this it showed the currently active connections, and it was pretty obvious that this number needed to be much bigger while torrenting.

Anyway, DD-WRT + changing this setting from 512 to 2048 fixed all my issues with slowdown/death while torrenting (with 4 torrents + 2 machines running, I got up to around 1200 connections within a few minutes).

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wetsun wrote: »

So, since I was having this same problem (on both wired and wireless connections to the router), I decided to install DD-WRT (mini) on my Linksys WRT54G last night.

Changing the firmware alone didn't immediately fix the issue, but I did notice the new setting for "IP Filter Settings/Maximum Ports" which was set to 512. Right below this it showed the currently active connections, and it was pretty obvious that this number needed to be much bigger while torrenting.

Anyway, DD-WRT + changing this setting from 512 to 2048 fixed all my issues with slowdown/death while torrenting (with 4 torrents + 2 machines running, I got up to around 1200 connections within a few minutes).

Brilliant idea

TL DR on