As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A DS suggestion thread? That's annoying!

Grammaton ClericGrammaton Cleric Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
I may be the last guy on earth to get a DS. I hate to start a game suggestion thread, but adopting the handheld so late after launch has left me drowning in game choices.

The only game I've picked up so far is The World Ends With You (awesome!); but I don't know what to get next. I'm open to all genres (well, maybe not tactics based games).

Help me separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm looking into one of the Castlevania titles for my next purchase, but they all look great to me.

Grammaton Cleric on

• Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I always recommend Phantom Hourglass. Mario and Luigi: Parters in time is also fun.

Pokemon of course if you like it.

I also hear Shiren is good is you like Roguelikes.

Edit to below: Someone just needs to sticky his list, so we can be done with this.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Order of Ecclesia

And on that note,
    Light the Slash signal!

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I may be the last guy on earth to get a DS. I hate to start a game suggestion thread, but adopting the handheld so late after launch has left me drowning in game choices.

These rec threads are always welcome!
    The only game I've picked up so far is The World Ends With You (awesome!); but I don't know what to get next. I'm open to all genres (well, maybe not tactics based games).

Help me separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm looking into one of the Castlevania titles for my next purchase, but they all look great to me.

I recommend checking out this list of recs I've compiled from these forums:

http://slashsignal.wikispaces.com/Nintendo+DS

I'd post the recs right here but the list is too long to fit the character limit!

You can't go wrong with a new Castlevania, though. They're all 3 excellent games, so I'd personally recommend starting with Dawn of Sorrow if you decide to go with a castlevania for your next game purchase.

slash000 on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Rocket Slime
    FFIII & IV
    Kirby Super Star Ultra
    Chrono Trigger
    Elite Beat Agents
    Mario Kart DS
    Pokemans

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Grammaton ClericGrammaton Cleric Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

These rec threads are always welcome!

I recommend checking out this list of recs I've compiled from these forums:

http://slashsignal.wikispaces.com/Nintendo+DS

I'd post the recs right here but the list is too long to fit the character limit!

You can't go wrong with a new Castlevania, though. They're all 3 excellent games, so I'd personally recommend starting with Dawn of Sorrow if you decide to go with a castlevania for your next game purchase.

Wow, thanks for compiling that list. It's exactly what I needed. Dawn of Sorrow is on sale for 12 bucks at my local Blockbuster, guess I'll be picking it up after work. (and Order of Ecclesia later on)

Grammaton Cleric on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FEENIX RITE

FEENIX RITE

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Rocket Slime
    FFIII & IV
    Kirby Super Star Ultra
    Chrono Trigger
    Elite Beat Agents
    Mario Kart DS
    Pokemans

This list with a few additions:

Star Fox Command
    Professer Layton and the Curious Villiage
    Contra 4
    Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    hmmmm.
    all three castlevanias are mustgets more or less.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm a big Zelda fan, but I really disliked PH.

As already mentioned, Contra 4 contains about as much radness as you can fit on a DS cart.

I still play a lot of Kart and Puzzle League, which is pretty good since they've been out for quite a while.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dragon Quest IV is the most fun I've had on the DS. Very good graphics and fun dialogue.

Saddler on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My entire DS Library:
    Ouendan
    Ouendan 2
    Elite Beat Agents
    Starfox Command
    Space Invaders Extreme

I could never buy another game outside of these and I'm totally satisfied with the machine. I also picked up the new Prince of Persia recently, which is okay, but it doesn't stand with those giants above.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Trauma Center

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shiren is indeed brilliant if you like Rouglikes. It's such a tight design, it doesn't suffre from the 'sprawl' that I feel clutters up so many Roguelikes.

Professor Leyton is an absolute joy to play and look at. Still haven't finished the final bonus puzzle yet.

I also vote for Dragon Quest IV. My only problem with it is the need to grind on occasion. At those moments it does feel a bit direction-less and it's old-schoolness comes through a bit, otherwise it's so sweet, I love the regional accents of the various kingdoms.

Apart from that I enjoyed Pheonix Wright, Picross & Polarium.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I am seeing a distinct lack of Age of Empires: [Age of Kings || Mythologies] on that wiki. Both are awesome; Mythologies is quite a bit better, though still lacking a few features I'd like.

Age of Kings lets you choose 1 of 4 civilizations, running through the Middle Ages. Very straight-forward, each civ has one hero, each hero has a set of powers that benefit their civilization. Deeply fun, and it only occasionally tries to rape you. Basically, it's like the PC version, with some catches:
    Town Centers are 'hubs'; buildings can be built off of them in the cardinal directions, and towers at the angles. Mills are hubs for farms, and can only be built on wheat; mines can only be built on gold.

You get the usual assortment of armies: camels, horses, spears, archers, siege, infantry, etc. Some units have special abilities: Camels get both "Scare Horses" and "Desert Charge". Best bet, of course, is to use the generic counters: spears->cavalry->swords->spears

Mythologies, it seems, changes this (I've had it for all of 3 days). So this is all 'from what I understand'.

There are 3 civs: Norse, Egyptian, and Greek. Each civ has 3 major gods and heroes. The heroes are interchangeable. Each major god has a suite of lesser deities associated with him/her. I believe there are 8 total minors, split up so that there is some overlap (Odin and Thor both get Njord, for example [also IIRC]), some unique and some that you can unlock. So you can customize your game a bit better.

Battle Animations can now be skipped, which is a blessing (occasionally I want to see a Sphinx knock over a giant Scarab, but sometimes I don't. Y'know?). There's a tad bit of slowdown (may only apply to Egyptian) when you activate a worker, as it's done something wonderful: if the unit can build somewhere, that square gets highlighted in blue; if it can attack, the highlight is red, and movement is an ugly orange color. This is done before moving, so some re-arranging might need to be done to get the archer in range.

Hero Powers are (for the ones I've used, and where applicable) universal, as opposed to 'what the hero can see' type of thing. This is compensated by each hero only getting the one power. At the shrine building, a God Power can be activated, once per match (with at least one exception). Which powers you get depends on which major and minor deities you've chosen. The minor deities are chosen when you age up, which is a fair bit more forgiving in this version.

Get them. Now.

Also, I'm told it has multiplayer, and the menu mentions the Nintendo WiFi Connection thingy. I will have to see how well it works.

Tamin on
  • Options
    FunnyFreakFunnyFreak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Castlevania Games
    Mario Kart DS
    Final Fantasy 3 and 4
    New Super Mario Bros.

FunnyFreak on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    there are stupid amounts of A++ titles to choose from on the DS, so i'll just rep a couple somewhat hidden gems

Space Invaders Extreme: this game is currently $10 new at gamestop. you would be a fool not to buy it today! basically its a shmup that takes the original space invaders template and updates it into something really intensely awesome.

heres the first level

Korg DS-10: this isnt technically a game, more of an interactive toy kind of thing. its a full featured virtual analog synthesizer. 2 oscillators, kaoss pad touch screen functionality, drum machine with 4 seperate fully patchable drum sounds, a step sequencer... the works. its really damn fun, if you like music and making noise and stuff. heres a demo video of the kinds of things you can do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK1K_jJ08Rc

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thread title sounds like someone wants to spend some Pout Points. :D

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Advance Wars series has continued on the DS - you could get Duel Strike or Days of Ruin (the latter is the newest and probably the better to start the series with). Then there is Civilisation: Revolutions, which is also surprisingly engrossing. Of course if you don't like strat/turn based strat games then disregard the above

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just bought a DS off my friend, who in the future I think should avoid buying $150 worth of Thing just because a friend tells him that no really Pokemon is super good.

So, in addition to which games we should think about, I'd like to know what extra stuff is useful. I'm already seeing the need for a pair of headphones, anything else that's useful to have?

Edit: Also, are there any particularly amazing GBA games that work well with the DS? I've never had a gameboy, so it's all new to me.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just bought a DS off my friend, who in the future I think should avoid buying $150 worth of Thing just because a friend tells him that no really Pokemon is super good.

So, in addition to which games we should think about, I'd like to know what extra stuff is useful. I'm already seeing the need for a pair of headphones, anything else that's useful to have?

Edit: Also, are there any particularly amazing GBA games that work well with the DS? I've never had a gameboy, so it's all new to me.
    If you like RPGs, you can pick up the first 6 final fantasy games for the DS. Some of them are GBA carts, some are DS cards, but all are good and by now probably pretty inexpensive. Theser are my lifeline on family vacations.

see317 on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've been playing a bunch of Chrono Trigger lately. That game's held up remarkably well over the years.

zilo on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Well they all work well with the DS just fine.

I have a compiled GBA recommendation list here too.

My favorite GBA game is probably Ninja Five-0 personally, but it's tough to find good GBA games these days if you're looking at brick/mortar places.

slash000 on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Get Chrono Trigger. It's THAT good, assuming you haven't already played it on the SNES.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The best steal Ive found for the DS is by faaaaaaaaaar:

"Feel The Magic: XX & XY"

You can find it on amazon for $5. It's an AWESOME mini-game collection that is really addictive. The music is awesome, the art style is awesome, and it's a total blast when you have 10-15 minutes to kill and don't want to immerse yourself in a deep plot.

I loved the replay value too. You get to re-do the challenges, as they get progressively harder, but they're very very unique and clever, so it never felt like the standard shovel-ware Wii Mini Game fest.

It's also by Sega, and one of the 'quirkiest' games (if not THE quirkiest game) I've ever played. It makes little to no sense and just bombards you with randomness, which I thought was hilarious.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Get all of the Castlevania games for the DS. Also, the Ace Attorney / Phoenix Wright games.

If you like mean RPGs, get Etrian Odyssey (part 1, then part 2 to appreciate it). Final Fantasy 3 is also pretty solid.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cory In The House

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Bah!

So far the games are pretty excellent, especially Elite Beat Agents (though I'm regretting buying it used, as there's no way to erase previous save data but whatever). But so far my success with accessories has been nil. Screen protectors are really really annoying to put on/take off and generally end up making your screen look a different kind of fucked up. The pack I got had a couple extra styluses, which would be great since mine broke except that they only work when the screen protector is on and don't fit into the little stylus holder on the machine. That, and the headphones I tried ended up being a little too big for the jack.

Anyone found a screen protector that worked well? Or is it silly to get one if you're not scraping a nail across the screen?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bah!

So far the games are pretty excellent, especially Elite Beat Agents (though I'm regretting buying it used, as there's no way to erase previous save data but whatever).

quick google gives me: When the Nintendo logo appears, hold down A, B, X, Y, L, and R. Then it'll ask you if you want to delete all the data.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Bah!

So far the games are pretty excellent, especially Elite Beat Agents (though I'm regretting buying it used, as there's no way to erase previous save data but whatever).

quick google gives me: When the Nintendo logo appears, hold down A, B, X, Y, L, and R. Then it'll ask you if you want to delete all the data.

Ah, thanks. Jesus, though, what's with the super-secret deletion methods on some of these games? Pokemon did that too, but it had the decency to tell me it was possible in-game.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They want to minimize calls from parents saying that Jimmy's little brother erased his save file? It'd be practically impossible to accidentally do enter that combination, in that time frame.

Tamin on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, Elite Beat Agents is a must. Glad to see you've already got TWEWY, it's quite possibly one of the best games ever. Phantom Hourglass can go die in a fire as far as I'm concerned. I mean, it was an excellent game, but it was a fucking hassle with that goddamn dungeon you had to go back to all the goddamn time.

Bangai-O Spirits is fucking epic. I have yet to see a review that tops this one.

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, I just managed to get "The World Ends With You", "Trauma Center 2" and "Advance Wars: Days of Ruin" all new for about $60 all told. Thank you not-able-to-sell-this-fiscal-year-yet games!

Man, the DS has a surprising amount of things I'm interested in.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, I just managed to get "The World Ends With You", "Trauma Center 2" and "Advance Wars: Days of Ruin" all new for about $60 all told. Thank you not-able-to-sell-this-fiscal-year-yet games!

Where was this? I've been looking for TWEWY and Advance Wars for awhile now, and can't seem to find either for under $25. I'm cheap.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Powell014Powell014 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I cannot recommend Professor Layton and the Curious Village enough. Everyone I've showed that game to went out and bought it.

Also, don't waste your time with Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

Powell014 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »

Where was this? I've been looking for TWEWY and Advance Wars for awhile now, and can't seem to find either for under $25. I'm cheap.

Best Buy in their "stuff marked with a red dot is 40% off" bin. It was pretty much luck, I was in on the 1st for my (seriously completely useless) little screen protector kit, and there was nothing good. I think all three of those were the only copy in the bin. But it's worth a look if you happen to live near a Best Buy, they tend to price newer non-used non-shitty games for sale far more often than Gamestop.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think this has appeared without elaboration in a list already, but I should mention a few things about Rocket Slime: I never would have thought to get it myself, but a friend picked it up for me for Christmas and it is an unexpected blast. It's a novel spin on the standard hack and slash (but with its own mechanics instead of hacking and slashing) combined with a real-time tank battle system that utilizes stuff and NPCs you've collected in the levels. And it's all done with a wonderfully dopey sense of humor.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think this has appeared without elaboration in a list already, but I should mention a few things about Rocket Slime: I never would have thought to get it myself, but a friend picked it up for me for Christmas and it is an unexpected blast. It's a novel spin on the standard hack and slash (but with its own mechanics instead of hacking and slashing) combined with a real-time tank battle system that utilizes stuff and NPCs you've collected in the levels. And it's all done with a wonderfully dopey sense of humor.

Throwin my support behind Rocket Slime. Not much can compare to fighting the Platypanzer or the Chrono Twigger. And yes, the pun level is off the charts and it's amazing.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just picked up a DS Lite today. (Silver)

And the following games:

Zelda
    Animal Crossing
    FFTA2
    FFIV
    Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
    Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
    Castlevania Order of Ecclesia
    Elite Beat Agents
    New Super Mario Brothers
    Chrono Trigger
    Sonic Rush

Thanks to you guys (and this thread).
    Now... the hard part is WHICH FUCKING ONE TO PLAY FIRST.
    Iv'e been playing some Animal Crossing because.... I uh... am addicted to this shit for some reason. I think i'm gonna start up Zelda and then move on to FFTA2..

...Lord Help me.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Chrono Trigger because Chrono Trigger is really awesome and like maybe 20 hours at most

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just picked up a DS Lite today. (Silver)

And the following games:

Zelda
    Animal Crossing
    FFTA2
    FFIV
    Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
    Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
    Castlevania Order of Ecclesia
    Elite Beat Agents
    New Super Mario Brothers
    Chrono Trigger
    Sonic Rush

Thanks to you guys (and this thread).
    Now... the hard part is WHICH FUCKING ONE TO PLAY FIRST.
    Iv'e been playing some Animal Crossing because.... I uh... am addicted to this shit for some reason. I think i'm gonna start up Zelda and then move on to FFTA2..

...Lord Help me.

Yes, but what will you have to play in 2011? You need to plan ahead, you know.

Now if you had bought Disgaea you wouldn't have this problem.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)