As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am a biter

Alexander11Alexander11 Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I spend my days biting my lips. It's disgusting, I don't mean biting my lip because I am nervous or anything, but, (i know it's gross) when my lips get really chapped then i unknowingly nibble off any chap...ness. It hurts after a day or so, and many times I can catch myself. Often times I have no desire to do so, but other times it is a physical tingle in my teeth to chew.

I had braces, so i don't know if that has anything to do with it. I just wonder if anyone else has ever had, or has, this problem. Are there any tricks to get myself to stop? or do i need to rely on my raw manly will-power?

Alexander11 on

• Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh man, I constantly have this problem.

I also had braces when I was younger, but I don't have any real solution or anything. Usually I just catch myself and stop, then put on chapstick or something.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Raw manly will-power and a delightfully scented lip balm should do it. I make sure I'm always carrying some.

Once you get used to it, you might be posting a thread saying you're hooked on the greatest lip balm ever and don't like being dependent. But we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Easiest trick is to put a rubber band on your wrist, and every time you catch yourself biting your lips, pull it and snap it back against your wrist hard. Eventually, theoretically, your brain will grow to associate lip biting with the pain from the rubber band.

If you're particularly bad about it, this may not help (I know it hasn't helped with my fingernail biting, but that's at least borderline OCD).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    would a mouth guard help?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    o_O

You can't really wear a mouth guard all day. Assuming we're talking about the same thing...?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Would it help if perhaps you were chewing on something else? Have you tried chewing gum, or even a pen? With something already in your mouth being chewed on, your lip might be saved. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    o_O

You can't really wear a mouth guard all day. Assuming we're talking about the same thing...?

oh, i meant more of a retainer

when I say mouth guard i'm thinking of something you put in your mouth to prevent teeth damage from grinding at night, because i never play or think about sports.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've found that having a tube of Blistex helps me avoid biting my lips. I've been a biter for a very long time as well, and I'm trying to kick the habit. If I apply Blistex throughout the day, whenever I'm about to bite my lip, I taste it and it acts as a reminder to not do it.

It's difficult to engrave it in your brain without a trigger because it's something you do without thought at all.

MrOletta on
  • Options
    stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    o_O

oh, i meant more of a retainer

when I say mouth guard i'm thinking of something you put in your mouth to prevent teeth damage from grinding at night, because i never play or think about sports.

you could always take up a professional sport...

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Id say get a really AWFUL tasting lip balm. The same as that anti-finger nail biting stuff for your fingers. If biting your lips tastes super gross, you won't want to do it.
    Of course, I have this same problem and it probably wouldn't help me at all. Just something to try.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do you drink enough water? If you're just biting cuz you have chapped lips, why not just cure the chapped lips?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Drink more water, have a litre bottle sitting next to you at the computer, playing videogames and your bed.

could help your lips

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Hobbit0815Hobbit0815 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My sister has this same problem! RubberAC has a good method: bad tasting lip balm. Cures chapped lips, and whenever you reach for a nipple you taste the grossness and remember why it's there, and stop yourself before you even start. The rubber band idea is also a good idea.

But above all, drink lots of water too if you're getting frequently chapped lips.

Hobbit0815 on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The only way to break a habit is to just do it. Whenever you catch yourself doing it, stop. Try catching it more often as time goes on and voila, broken habit.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hobbit0815 wrote: »
    whenever you reach for a nipple you taste the grossness and remember why it's there, and stop yourself before you even start.

D:

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I thought I was the only one who did this... thank god I'm not alone! Part of my problem is that my lips are always horrifically chapped, seemingly no matter how much water I drink. I'll get some terrible tasting lip balm and try that.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's worked for me, but with any lip balm really - the thought of ingesting it is offputting enough that it keeps me from biting. Your brain eventually just remembers that you shoudnt be doing it because it's going to taste like crap, and eventually you wont even need lip balm to remind yourself not to do it.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    eternalbl wrote: »
    Do you drink enough water? If you're just biting cuz you have chapped lips, why not just cure the chapped lips?

This!

I think curing the chapped lips is a much better idea than getting poo-flavored lip balm. It has the added benefit of actually making you kiss-worthy too. :lol:

onceling on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah the first sign that I'm dehydrated is my lips chapping, I then get thirsty. It's kinda messed up.

I'll second the 'get lip balm' crowd. Drinking more water is very important too, but I've had great success with a simple non scented chap stick. They're super cheap too, it's worth trying. Just keep the stick in a jacket pocket that you use often, like with your car keys or something, so that you'll touch the stick accidentally, that'll help remind you to use it.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    FunnyFreakFunnyFreak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I do this all the time when my lips are chapped. Cure the chapped lips and it should hopefully stop it since that is when I stop.

FunnyFreak on
  • Options
    Hobbit0815Hobbit0815 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    Hobbit0815 wrote: »
    whenever you reach for a nipple you taste the grossness and remember why it's there, and stop yourself before you even start.

D:

BAHAHA. Sorry. Typo. XD

Hobbit0815 on