As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trip to Toronto - Beer Recommendations?

Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So - my company is sending me to Toronto in a few weeks and I found when they came down to visit us that everyone at the table was far more knowledgable about expensive drinks than myself. They were drinking stuff from other countries that cost more per bottle than my Pumpkinhead or Corono cost per 6-pack.

Any recommendations for local brews or other Canadian beers I should try while I'm up there? I'll drink about anything except really cheap stuff (aka Bud).

Lindsay Lohan on

• Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you like pilsners, Steamwhistle is Toronto's best, in my opinion. It's not super expensive, but it's not the Molson Canadian or Labbat's Blue that's on tap everywhere. If you go to a restaurant with a beer list, either ask the people you're eating with or the waiter what they recommend.

Don't feel like you need to impress them with your beer choice. Do try something new because Toronto has a lot of great indie brewers, but it's a matter of drinking what you like, so don't try something like an auburn ale if all you've had before is lager.

Just don't order Bud.

Alpine on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Steamwhistle is fantastic.
    Creemore is also great.
    Alexander Keiths is decent and found pretty much everywhere.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You might not consider it local as much, but when I used to hit up canada's bars I found Molson Special Dry and as an avid beer drinker, I can tell you that it remains my favorite beer ever.

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oaklore wrote: »
    You might not consider it local as much, but when I used to hit up canada's bars I found Molson Special Dry and as an avid beer drinker, I can tell you that it remains my favorite beer ever.
    wat?!?! no! do not be fooled by the oaklore!!!!! this is a trap!!!

the only beer i know i like from there has already been mentioned a few times, steamwhistle

if i were you though, i would just ask around at a bar up there...i'm sure people would love to give you suggestions of what to try

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    jthmjthm Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you have the ability to go out for an afternoon I recommend hitting the Bier Mrkt on the Esplanade in T.O. They stock a crazy amount of brew on tap, and the bartenders are very knowledgeable on the subject. Their beer menu is 3x thicker than the food menu, and each comes with a description of the characteristics of the beer.

I recommend the afternoon because it can get busy past 5 pm. Ideally you want to have a bored bartender willing to shoot the shit and offer some suggestions - I went on a Friday about 2 and pretty much had the place to myself and my dad for about 2 1/2 hours. It was the best learning experience I've had for trying different beers.

If you go, try Paulaner and Errdinger Weissbrau - both are reasonably priced and are quite good.

jthm on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't drink much, but I like most of Sleeman's beers. Most of the other beers I like are from BC breweries, so I don't know if they're available back east.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Proto wrote: »
    Steamwhistle is fantastic.

A thousand times this. Toronto has many, MANY excellent microbreweries but Steam Whistle is by far the best. As for the Keiths, it's really not the same until you've tried some Pale Ale fresh at the Halifax brewery.

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm glad to see so much love for Steamwhistle, none of my roommates like it so I worried I was the one in poor taste. Good to know I'm right.

Alpine on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I liked Steam Whistle, but I'm having a hard time believing it's the best that Toronto has to offer. It tasted like a fairly average lager to me, with a hoppy aftertaste. They threw a hell of a St. Patrick's day party at the brewery though.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    TheDragonTheDragon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Keiths is great, steamwhistle is good, and give sleeman a shot. But Keiths india pale ale definately must be had

TheDragon on
  • Options
    MillowMillow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Try the offerings from the Amsterdam brewery, which is a Toronto brewery. Their 3 main beers are Nut Brown, Blonde, and Dutch Amber and all are good.

Try the offerings from Cameron's brewery as well, but i've never seen any of the Cameron's beers sold in a bar, so if you want to try it you'll have to buy a 9 pack.

Creemore is delicious, especially from the tap. Most pub style bars have it on tap.

Mill Street Tankhouse Ale is great as well, alot of places will have it on tap. Their Stock Ale is good and easy drinking as well.

For the more macro stuff: Moosehead, Sleeman Cream Ale / Honey Brown Lager and Molson Export / Dry are some of my favourites.

Millow on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Alexander Keith's is my favourite available-everywhere beer, and seems to be pretty much universally popular (pretty much the only beer you can recommend to just about anyone, the only one I'd feel safe ordering for someone I didn't know terribly well on their behalf.)

That said, alot of the smaller breweries make some great stuff. Waterloo Dark is actually my favourite beer at the moment. Although it looks dark, it tastes light and is the smoothest beer I've ever drank. That said, you may have trouble finding it at bars, but if you do I highly recommend giving it a try (I've gone to pretty much every bar in London, about 2 hours south of Toronto, and haven't found it at any of them yet. YMMV in Toronto though.)

Oh, also, from what I hear, a lot of Americans get too drunk when they first try drinking in Canada. I'm not sure the extent of the difference, but apparently our beers have a higher alcohol content than American beers. Keep this in mind if you're at a company function or out with coworkers/anyone else you might be trying to impress.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm on a business trip - not looking to get drunk, just wanting to ensure that when everyone is ordering their drinks I'm ordering something that makes me look slightly knowledgable but also gives me a chance to enjoy a good local beer. Thanks for the input!

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    tinyfisttinyfist Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    adding a vote to the mill st. lineup since steamwhistle has already been voted on so many times.

tinyfist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Im sorry for the recommendation. I didn't know we just wanted locally brewed microbrew kinda stuff.

~oak~

PS Molson Special Dry is great. >.>

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm on a business trip - not looking to get drunk, just wanting to ensure that when everyone is ordering their drinks I'm ordering something that makes me look slightly knowledgable but also gives me a chance to enjoy a good local beer. Thanks for the input!

Yeah, I figured you weren't looking to get drunk, just figured mentioning the difference in strength might be worth it as if you think "I can usually drink x number of beers and still be sober", x is probably a bit lower when talking about Canadian beer.

Wezoin on