As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Dead Space! Set 27 - The end

HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
Hello and welcome to this Let’s Play of Dead Space

deadspaceboxartbr6.jpg

Number 4 in the horror theme I think…hmm anyway.
Dead Space is an almost new run through for me, as I stopped fairly early in the game so I could do this Let’s Play and I can remember almost nothing of it. Perfect for scares!

Of what I did play of this game I loved. It has this great atmosphere to it that sets it apart for me from the others in the genre.

I may as well put a quick description (ie. Stole from Wikipedia) of what Dead Space is for the one or two people who may not know by now :P

‘Dead Space is a third-person survival horror-action video game…The game features an 'over the shoulder' third-person perspective, similar to game Resident Evil 4.
The interface does not feature a traditional head-up display. Instead, information is relayed to the player via holographic projections, which hover over or in front of Isaac's weapons and armour and can even be part of his armour; much like the 'health meter' which is integrated into his spinal armour.’

I would put more but it seems to get spoilery.

Right then. I’ve done the first set as I type this, and damn is it scary. I love it to bits :D

Also I may as well add. Advice is awesome, please give lots of it!

Videos

For the videos there will be a pick of either Dailymotion or Youtube. The choice is yours. Dailymotion links will be in the first part of the spoiler, Youtube the second to save on space. (no longer the case as Dailymotion kept fucking me about) Youtube links do have HQ if you follow them to the Youtube page.

And now the actual videos!

Set 1 - Space rage
Dead Space... Now even harder!

Set 3 - Whatever happened to all the ammo?
Set 4 - Contents may include space (youtube only. Sorry but Dailymotion keeps fucking up.
Set 5 - Babies!
Set 6 - Crackin' some skulls
Set 7 - Argh! Where?
Set 8 - It came from the wall
Set 9 - It's Big
Set 10 - The floor is out to get me
Set 11 - Not on a first date
Set 12 - Why wont you die?
Set 13 - The set from the black lagoon (read spoiler info)
Right. Some things first. The sound is pretty much wrecked at the moment. I dubbed the first 6 or so minutes, after that the game sound comes back. Its pretty crackly throughout mind so sorry about that. Secondly, no youtube as its being lame and won't let me upload it for whatever reason. So it's on Dailymotion.
Thirdly It's uploaded by 'awaiting conformation' so I'll post the links but I don't know when they'll be up.

Sorry about the long gap...I swear theres a higher power trying to stop me doing this one.

Parts 1 - 3 are around 10 mins each 4 is about 3. Titles are still tobe edited which I wont do now. Too tired :P

Parts 1

Set 14 - An hour of silly voices getting this ready
Set 15 - So it's not a teddy bear then?
[URL="ttp://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=n6eqgMBZhmA&feature=channel_page"]Part 1[/URL]
Part 2

Set 16 - Mr Shotty the third
Set 17 - Fog?
Set 18 - Multitasking failure
Set 19 - Is that Satan?
Set 20 - Space Balls
Set 21 - Fastest thing alive
Set 22- I'm burning for me
Set 23 - Suffocation
Set 24 - It came from the roof
Set 25 - What's the worst that could happen?
Set 26 - Down the tubes
Set 27 - The end

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
Youtube Channel!
Helloween on

• Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    kind of soon, but god yes this sounds awesome

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sweet! looking forward to this.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ooh, sweet. I know almost nothing about Dead Space, so I will watch your videos later, and hopefully be motivated to comment.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This sounds awesome, now to go watch this first episode

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Are you playing on hard or impossible? If not then you should play on hard at the very least, it's a completely different (better) game.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good man, keep up the LPs!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Are you playing on hard or impossible? If not then you should play on hard at the very least, it's a completely different (better) game.

It actually feels like a horror game on Impossible :mrgreen: Not that there isnt enough to keep you interested elsewise.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Gawd. Normal is tough enough for me for now I think :(

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I played the demo and immediately knew I would never finish this game. Show me what I cannot handle!

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Helloween wrote: »

You can manage hard. Seriously though, in hard you have to remove limbs to kill the necros, on normal they'll just die from being shot anywhere. It's a huge difference to the atmosphere, tension, gameplay etc. It really makes the game.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009

You can manage hard. Seriously though, in hard you have to remove limbs to kill the necros, on normal they'll just die from being shot anywhere. It's a huge difference to the atmosphere, tension, gameplay etc. It really makes the game.

Reckon I should restart on hard and just get back to where I was?

If it makes it better im more than willing to do this :D

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I agree with Hard, the game is much more enjoyable specially because you actually use all your skills in order to survive.

And it's a whole lot creepier!

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm beginning to think that "Don't shoot them in the body, cut off their limbs" is the new "GET UP ON THE HYDRA'S BACK," going by the first part...

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think you should try hard before carrying on yeah, I played through on normal the first time and kind of regretted it. I was never really short of ammo and it felt a bit too easy, I don't remember ever dying either.

I had a similar experience with GOW2. Played through on normal, finished it and thought it was a pretty decent game. Then I started on insane and my enjoyment of it pretty much doubled.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Here's a question - I'm running a 7600GT, 1GB RAM, Athlon64 3500+. Is trying to run Dead Space at 1440x900 with medium settings a waste of my time?

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    OcculusOcculus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to third/fourth/whateverth the suggestion that you restart on Hard Mode STAT.

The game is VERY different on Hard Mode. I played almost a quarter to a third of the way through on Medium, started over on Hard, and thought I was playing a different incarnation of the same game. The gulf between Medium and Hard is really that huge. Not only can you tell there's a difference just by how hard it is to kill the Necromorphs, but they also act differently, charging and dodging at actually intelligent moments.

It's a HUGE difference. You'll thank us.

Really.

Occulus on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ok. Ill restart on hard then.

Unless you guys really want to see the first 'activate the tram' section again i'll skip it and get back to where I was.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, another LP?! I need to catch up on FEAR and Suffering still! Awesome though, I love the LP's that you do.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Awesome, I can't wait to see it on hard mode. I also restarted on Hard after a few hours of playing and it's such a different game. It adds so much to the scare factor when a monster pops out at you, then proceeds to tear you to shreds with a few swipes.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You have one dismembered thumbs up from me.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A happy new year indeed!

GLEE!!

kriegs on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am down with this. I've yet to get started on the game, still in its shrink-wrapping. I think I'll toddle along with you.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Going with hard is the right decision. What weapons are you going to upgrade?

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Iriah wrote: »

I liked the rifle and the buzzsaw is it? Ripper? hmm. They were fun the first time. Any other suggestions?

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Great job on the LP. I always enjoy your playthroughs. I'm only on chapter 5 myself.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I liked the rifle and the buzzsaw is it? Ripper? hmm. They were fun the first time. Any other suggestions?

I enjoyed using the Line gun. Its' secondary fire worked well against groups of enemies. Bunch them up together, freeze them with statis, then use the secondary fire to take them all out. When you pull it off, it will feel great.

But I played on normal, so it will probably be more risky for you to do.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I suggest cutter, rifle, and contact beam. The ripper is gimmicky and you should ignore the few who adore it.

edit: and you can move the camera in the 360 version when you're sitting in the Kellion so you can see his face. It's only after you've crashed, though. I suspect it's a bug, or an oversight by the programmers.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Cutter, rifle and contact beam worked well for me. I didn't think much of the ripper in the short time I used it and never tried the line gun, that sounds like a good alternative though.

I stored the contact beam occasionally though, the ammo is only held in small stacks and it ends up taking up all your inventory if you carry it around all the time. Actually, I rarely used it to be honest. Slow firing, slow reloading gun isn't that great in these situations.

The cutter is my favourite gun anyway.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I suggest cutter, rifle, and contact beam. The ripper is gimmicky and you should ignore the few who adore it.

edit: and you can move the camera in the 360 version when you're sitting in the Kellion so you can see his face. It's only after you've crashed, though. I suspect it's a bug, or an oversight by the programmers.

You can do the same thing in the PS3 version.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Cutter, rifle and contact beam worked well for me. I didn't think much of the ripper in the short time I used it and never tried the line gun, that sounds like a good alternative though.

I stored the contact beam occasionally though, the ammo is only held in small stacks and it ends up taking up all your inventory if you carry it around all the time. Actually, I rarely used it to be honest. Slow firing, slow reloading gun isn't that great in these situations.

The cutter is my favourite gun anyway.

He'll want it in level 6.

Iriah on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ooh, just starting the first video, it looks like you've got V-sync on. Lots of people were getting mouse troubles with that on, so if you're having control issues, turn that chump off.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    God, you upgraded Air. Never upgrade Air. You might as well play frisbee with those nodes.

Upgrade the cutter for now. Cutter and health.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No no no no no.

Upgrade the pulse rifle, then quote Aliens all the time.

Game over man, game over.

Cause I mean in Dead Space, they literally ARE coming outta the goddam walls.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I didn't think health was that worth it? You'd die so fast from being in melee it wasn't really worth it. Maybe that was just impossible though.

Also don't forget to leave guns unloaded so when you upgrade capacity you get free ammo.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I didn't think health was that worth it? You'd die so fast from being in melee it wasn't really worth it. Maybe that was just impossible though.

Also don't forget to leave guns unloaded so when you upgrade capacity you get free ammo.

Also only carry two guns at once, not three or four.

The random ammo spawns only ever spawn ammo for guns you are currently holding. It is far more effective and efficient to carry a main and a backup than a full compliment. The Pulse Rifle and Plasma Cutter are certainly the top choices I feel. Though the Contact Beam is my go to 'get me the fuck out of this shit' gun.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    FunnyFreakFunnyFreak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dead Space is freaking sweet. I wish more PC games went with the third person view.

FunnyFreak on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    Ooh, just starting the first video, it looks like you've got V-sync on. Lots of people were getting mouse troubles with that on, so if you're having control issues, turn that chump off.

It seemed alright if a little sensitive.

So give the ripper a miss is the general opinion then? Shame :(
    God, you upgraded Air. Never upgrade Air. You might as well play frisbee with those nodes.

Upgrade the cutter for now. Cutter and health.

That bad huh? I'm sure it was Darleysam or Klyka that told me air was good to take one time :P

You guys are going to have to teach me the Dead Space way I think haha!

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Also only carry two guns at once, not three or four.

The random ammo spawns only ever spawn ammo for guns you are currently holding. It is far more effective and efficient to carry a main and a backup than a full compliment. The Pulse Rifle and Plasma Cutter are certainly the top choices I feel. Though the Contact Beam is my go to 'get me the fuck out of this shit' gun.

Hmm I tried just carrying around the Plasma Cutter, and still got ammo for other guns :I

edit: and I haven't even bought the other guns yet.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Health is worth it, especially because the medkits heal in percentages - 30, 50, 100. So a large med pack would heal you twice as much, as well as allowing you to live longer in combat.

edit: I was all ready to upgrade air and go exploring! Then I played it and found out it was all explorable with the standard tank.

Iriah on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hmmm... I think that happens if you're only carrying one gun perhaps? Because halfway through the game I was carrying 4 guns but ammo was spread out too much between them, so I got rid of two and I only received ammo for those two.

Satsumomo on