As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wheel of Time movies... THANKS UNIVERSAL

Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117990464.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
Universal Pictures has acquired film rights to the late Robert Jordan's bestselling "The Wheel of Time" novel series in a seven-figure deal.

Adaptations of the fantasy tomes will begin with the first book in the cycle, "The Eye of the World."

Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon will produce for Red Eagle Entertainment, which published graphic novel adaptations of Jordan's books.

"The Wheel of Time" follows, among its dozens of characters, Rand al’Thor, the latest incarnation of a force for good called "The Dragon." Rand is born to fight an evil character called Shai’tan.

"Wheel of Time" books have sold 44 million copies worldwide and spawned computer, trading-card and role-playing games; a soundtrack; comicbooks; and numerous fan sites. The four most recent installments have reached No. 1 on the New York Times bestseller list.

The property has been optioned before, notably in 2000, when NBC held the rights to make a miniseries based on "The Eye of the World."

Jordan died last year at 58, but the final book in the series is still set for publication in fall 2009, with fellow fantasy scribe Brandon Sanderson writing the novel’s conclusion from Jordan’s notes and tapes.

They already have producers going at it too. I hope the middle books are a very loose reimagining or interpetation, or better yet just condense the middle 6 books into one movie. On the upside with all the sniffing tissue production is going to skyrocket. Tissue futures are the way to go now. Honestly, I like the general story, the world is really cool too, they just need to edit a lot. Also if Sword of Truth got a fucking series, I guess we can live through WoT.

Edit: Seven figures wtf?

Lady Eri on

• Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Ever since LOTR the Hollywood studios have been leeching off the fantasy novels and sadly for the fans have been screwing it up.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yep, after Narnia and Golden Compass they need to pull a big ol' bag of tricks from their combined bums to make this one work.

I've not read the books but i've heard good things.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    JackanapesJackanapes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Whilst Lord of the Rings and the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe handled the transition to film fairly well (or should I say the teams behind them handled the transition), I dont really have any faith that Hollywood is capable of translating the WoT saga to film in a way that makes any sense. I expect we will end up with something akin to In the Name of the King. :lol:

Seriously though, WoT will need serious editing and culling of unecessary information to be ready for film. That much editing... why not just create a new fantasy world and base your movie on that? WoT seem to be cribbing in large part from Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces", Tolkien and with an added dash of feminism. Hardly a difficult combination to put together directly for the film medium.

This assumes, of course, that Hollywood is not completely bankrupt of creative voices.

Jackanapes on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    We have no reason to believe Hollywood isn't completely bankrupt of creative voices.

Obs on
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jackanapes wrote: »
    why not just create a new fantasy world and base your movie on that?

I can think of about 44 million reasons. Why spend a fortune on creating new IP, when you can buy something that people already know about?

Grudge on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Isn't the biggest issue with the books that they have large sections where almost nothing occurs?

Kelor on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is hilarious to me.

Most of the movie would be long shots of scenery.

the rest inane dialogue.

Occasionally something cool happens, and it's cool because it's fucking rare.

The whole series was just terrible after the third book.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is hilarious to me.

the rest inane dialogue.

I'm sorry, the LotR thread is :arrow:

Bama on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    Isn't the biggest issue with the books that they have large sections where almost nothing occurs?

Plenty happened in the early books. Around book 5 it started to shift to "nothing happening" and by book 8 or so you would go 700 pages before anything happened to change the plot.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wonder if they're going to CG the blushing.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's a shame that they are devoting time to this when Pratchett's Discworld would make for an excellent movie series. Start with Guards! Guards! and go from there.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    This is hilarious to me.

the rest inane dialogue.

I'm sorry, the LotR thread is :arrow:

No, lotr after they enter the mines is practically balls to the walls action and gripping from that point on compared to wheel of time.

I mean I liked the whole series because I don't just care about action. But it wouldn't make a good movie.
    Archgarth wrote: »
    It's a shame that they are devoting time to this when Pratchett's Discworld would make for an excellent movie series. Start with Guards! Guards! and go from there.

The reason this isn't happening is because every time they approach terry with a plot it basically guts the story to "americanize" it

For example, in one movie plot they wanted to remove Death because american audiences "wouldn't get it".

Terry is awesome and basically told them to piss off until they grow up.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They've already made three or four of them into live action films and two or three into animated ones. David Jason always stars in the live ones, which is odd as I think he's now played three different characters.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Braid pulling, lol.

I'll probably end up watching this. So will everyone else.

They'll probably get Miley Cyrus to play Nynaeve. :(

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    They've already made three or four of them into live action films and two or three into animated ones. David Jason always stars in the live ones, which is odd as I think he's now played three different characters.

Oh yes, the Sky One productions are great fun (Hogfather is my favorite). I always think Guards! Guards! or Men at Arms would be excellent starting points for the series because they satirize a genre that all Americans are familiar with, and if they proved popular enough, would encourage the development of other storylines.
    The reason this isn't happening is because every time they approach terry with a plot it basically guts the story to "americanize" it

For example, in one movie plot they wanted to remove Death because american audiences "wouldn't get it".

Terry is awesome and basically told them to piss off until they grow up.

As well he should.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't think David Jason will be in Going Postal, but you never know. The Pratchett adaptions have been pretty decent, but they're far from what 'Hollywood' (Yes, 'Hollywood' as some malevolent, movie-ruining entity is a silly thing, but there you go) would do with them. Hogfather is better than Colour of Magic, which is really based on the first two books. I don't know if there's a fourth one planned, but I'm sure there is.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Am I the only one that thinks these might not be terrible? I mean they probably will, but I would have said that they couldn't make good movies out of the LOTR books and then they did. Unless you don't like the LOTR movies, in which case we have no common ground and I say Good Day Sir.

Peen on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think that the success of the LotR films gives us hope for more long-winded fatty fantasy novels being converted into entertaining action films.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Am I the only one that thinks these might not be terrible? I mean they probably will, but I would have said that they couldn't make good movies out of the LOTR books and then they did. Unless you don't like the LOTR movies, in which case we have no common ground and I say Good Day Sir.

I think it'll be as faithful a transition to the silver screen as we can expect. The WoT fans are just as rabid, and more creepy than the Lord of the Ring Fans in my experience. That's the kind of combination that gets shit done.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Everybody needs to watch the "Making of" documentaries in the expanded LOTR DVD's. It discusses the entire process of translating the books to screen, and how much of a chore it was. I had always enjoyed the novels for their vision and overall story, but still felt that while Tolkien was a creative genius, there are a lot of literary and narrative problems with his books. The writers of the LOTR movies had to have complete freedom to cut and paste where necessary, and from the sounds of it, WOT will have the same problems in translating it for the screen.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's a chance these will turn out OK because they'll HAVE to edit large amounts of description out. No shots of the walls every 5 minutes. Unless, of course, they edit out the good/important parts instead. Always a chance of that...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Grislo wrote: »
    I don't think David Jason will be in Going Postal, but you never know. The Pratchett adaptions have been pretty decent, but they're far from what 'Hollywood' (Yes, 'Hollywood' as some malevolent, movie-ruining entity is a silly thing, but there you go) would do with them. Hogfather is better than Colour of Magic, which is really based on the first two books. I don't know if there's a fourth one planned, but I'm sure there is.

I loved the Hogfather and thought TCoM was okay (not as good as it could have been but never mind, it got made). Suprised they are going with Going Postal as the next one, Guards Guards or Wyrd Sisters would be brilliant one's to do. Although who they would get to play Granny Weatherwax is anyone's guess.
    I heard they might be making The Wee Free Men into something

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Everybody needs to watch the "Making of" documentaries in the expanded LOTR DVD's. It discusses the entire process of translating the books to screen, and how much of a chore it was. I had always enjoyed the novels for their vision and overall story, but still felt that while Tolkien was a creative genius, there are a lot of literary and narrative problems with his books. The writers of the LOTR movies had to have complete freedom to cut and paste where necessary, and from the sounds of it, WOT will have the same problems in translating it for the screen.

The Extended Edition documentaries are the best Making Ofs I've ever seen. I think I've watched through all of them once a year since they came out.

Although I still feel they made some weird decisions (I don't feel removing Saruman's death from the theatrical version was properly justified), their arguments are pretty sound most of the time, and they face issues that will have to be dealt with in any adaptation. Pacing is definitely one of the most important things here, and if they get a talented team and budget behind the WoT movies, there is a still a possibility that they could produce something good.

Movies of LotR-caliber don't really come along that often, though I'm sure Universal would like a hit film series on their hands, so I hope they don't halfass it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »

The Extended Edition documentaries are the best Making Ofs I've ever seen. I think I've watched through all of them once a year since they came out.

Although I still feel they made some weird decisions (I don't feel removing Saruman's death from the theatrical version was properly justified), their arguments are pretty sound most of the time, and they face issues that will have to be dealt with in any adaptation. Pacing is definitely one of the most important things here, and if they get a talented team and budget behind the WoT movies, there is a still a possibility that they could produce something good.

Movies of LotR-caliber don't really come along that often, though I'm sure Universal would like a hit film series on their hands, so I hope they don't halfass it.

I almost enjoyed the Making of documentaries as much as the movies themselves, they're REALLY detailed.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Idoliside wrote: »
    Grislo wrote: »

I loved the Hogfather and thought TCoM was okay (not as good as it could have been but never mind, it got made). Suprised they are going with Going Postal as the next one, Guards Guards or Wyrd Sisters would be brilliant one's to do. Although who they would get to play Granny Weatherwax is anyone's guess.
    I heard they might be making The Wee Free Men into something

Sam Raimi was supposed to be directing Wee Free Men, but I haven't seen anything recent about it.

And TCoM was fairly awful as far as plot gutting went. David Jason should never have played Rincewind - he may be a good actor, but he's too old.

The WoT films could be good, as I remember some good concepts in the books back when I attempted to read them.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    According to Wiki Pratchett saw the script for Wee Free Men and thought it was awful with nothing to actually do with the book and didn't think it would get made.

Which is a shame.

Quid on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not sure I could stand to see these movies. I love the books, but I doubt they will be able to do any of the character development from the first book properly without making me want to gouge my eyes out and stick hot pokers through my ears.

Everytime I try to imagine how they could do character development, all I can think of are Star Wars episodes 1-3. Horrible horrible acting with horrible horrible directing.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What's funny is that, as bad as the books are, this is also one of the few book series that I can see making a successful translation to film. First novel aside, about the right amount of plot happens in each book to make a decent-length movie without turning into a 3 or 4 hour thing, let alone how some novels would be better off turned into a season of a TV series.

I couldn't be arsed to finish the series, but with a decent editor and script team, these movies could be at least above average for generic fantasy fare.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

The problem as I see it for the first few books at least is that almost too much happens, as compared to the later ones where nothing at all happens. I mean that first book especially introduces a shitload of characters and factions, and a lot of stuff happens to the main characters. You've got Rand's dreams and first uses of his power, Mat's experience when he goes through the thingy (sorry forgot the word) and his taking the dagger, and Perrin's dances with wolves.

They've also got to set up the Aes Sedai, the Children of the Light, decide what to do about Padan Fain, I mean they're going to have to do a hell of a chop job to fit it all in. I think it can be done but I think it's going to upset people even if they do it right and there's a big chance they'll do it wrong.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

The problem as I see it for the first few books at least is that almost too much happens, as compared to the later ones where nothing at all happens. I mean that first book especially introduces a shitload of characters and factions, and a lot of stuff happens to the main characters. You've got Rand's dreams and first uses of his power, Mat's experience when he goes through the thingy (sorry forgot the word) and his taking the dagger, and Perrin's dances with wolves.

They've also got to set up the Aes Sedai, the Children of the Light, decide what to do about Padan Fain, I mean they're going to have to do a hell of a chop job to fit it all in. I think it can be done but I think it's going to upset people even if they do it right and there's a big chance they'll do it wrong.

The only books that they might have trouble trimmming down are book 1 and book 4. One has a very quick pace (first like....6 chapters aside), but there's a whole lot in the rest of it which is small stuff which would probably be essential to the rest of the series.

On the flipside, book 8 could be done in like....20 minutes.

I could see the entire twelve book series making a really good, say....5 movie series. With Eye of the World being the first movie and a half on its own.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

The biggest issue with the books is that they have large books where almost nothing occurs.

These summaries of the Jordan books are pretty much entirely accurate.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You know, this might work. They could cut out all the filler and condense the books into 2, maybe 3 movies. Unless of course the Jordan estate wants to apply the same fan-milking philosophy to film as Jordan used for his books.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Like how the fuck did his publishers not look at (say) Crossroads of Twilight and not say "This is complete shit, go write a plot"

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Like how the fuck did his publishers not look at (say) Crossroads of Twilight and not say "This is complete shit, go write a plot"

Guaranteed fanbase, and his editor was his wife.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I do think that if they just skip everything from book 3 onwards and have him just march straight up to the dark one and blow him the fuck up this would be an awesome trilogy of films.

I doubt jordan even knew how he was going to finish it anyway, the bad guy is kinda...unkillable. Pretty sure he dragged it on because he realised there was no real way to end it without completely gutting the ultimate evil that he'd been building up over all the books as some godlike force you cannot fuck with.

He had no one ring after all to sidestep the fight like sauron. That was a stroke of genius on tolkien's part, because nobody had to read how sauron was stabbed in the toe by a hobbit and fell into his fireplace or some shit.

However if they do it after the third book, there isn't quite as much build up of the planet changing power of the bad guy, so it wouldn't fall as flat. It could be quite good. Fucked if I remember his offical name.

It wasn't the dark one was it?

Morninglord on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shai'tan is his official name I believe, but every faction in the series has a nickname for him, and I think Dark One is a commonly used one.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    DaleKaleDDaleKaleD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This makes for an interesting bit of news I think. So far we have had or have had announced.

J.R.R. Tolkien = Hobbit = In production as 2 films. Still love the original animated version.
    J.R.R. Tolkien = Lord of the Rings = Released as one film per book.
    C.S. Lewis = Chronicles of Narnia = First 2 books released, looks to be no further in the works.
    J.K. Rowling = Harry Potter = First 5 books adapted, 6th due this year, last on deck.
    Terry Goodkind = Sword of Truth = Syndicated tv series based loosely on plots from first book so far.
    Terry Pratchett = Discworld = Animated versions of Wyrd Sisters & Soul Music, Full productions of Hogfather & The Color of Magic + The Light Fantastic, with further in the works.
    George R.R. Martin = Song of Fire & Ice = In production as series for HBO, one book per season.
    Robert Jordan = Wheel of Time = Optioned as series of movies in some form.
    Philip Pullman = His Dark Materials = First book released, unfortunately no movement on further books.
    Christopher Paolini = Inheritance Cycle = First book released, thankfully no movement on further books.

This is a Large number of the Larger series in the fantasy literature circles, off the top of my head, this leaves ...

David Eddings = Belgariad = 7 books in initial series with a 5 book follow up, bit formulaic but decent read, might make for decent tv series.
    Roger Zelazny = Chronicles of Amber = 10 book series, in some form of feature might work.
    Tad Williams = Memory,Sorrow & Thorn = Been a long time since I've read them, but might work.
    Terry Brooks = Sword of Shannara = Initial 3 books may work well, past that it gets a bit muddy.

While this is definitely a large list of Fantasy series mined for ideas by the "Hollywood Machine" given the overall number of features, and compared to the number of comic book movies that are in the pipeline or have been done recently. We seem to always work in cycles, and we are somewhere in the midst of a Fantasy cycle, the trouble is determining if we are in the middle of it, and have some more excellent movies to look forward to or on the down slope and only have to look forward to hackneyed bad adaptations.

DaleKaleD on
  • Options
    WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I always avoided WoT for the reasons others have mentioned in this thread (the tedious nature of almost every novel past 1), but if the movies are good I'll probably see them. I love fantasy stories.

What I really want is a fantasy buddy movie based on Gotrek and Felix from the Warhammer universe. That would be awesome.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also, I believe Peter Jackson optioned the Temeraire series, but they haven't said anything since the original announcement.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would love to see Chronicles of Amber released as an HBO series like Rome. Way too much material for a single move, and its actually really well paced for lots of small chunks.

Terry Brooks Shannara series would be interesting, so would his Demon Knight books.

Also wouldnt mind seeing the David Eddings Sparhawk series.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski