As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mouse button emulation?

EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Very recently, my right mouse button stopped working. Everything sounds fine, a good, hearty clicking action comes from depressing the right mouse button. But not a thing happens, at least not unless I manhandle the mouse and press the RMB with all of my mighty strength.

So, in between getting a new mouse, I was wondering if anyone knew of any sort of program that would emulate mouse buttons? This working in vidya games would be super peachy keen, but if not, then having RMB available in Windows would be really nice to have again.

Thanks!

Edgie on

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Are you trying to play a game that you can't reassign keys in? Most games these days allow you to reassign keys and mouse presses to other keys/presses. I'd try that before installing a third party app to emulate it if possible. It'll be easier all around.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yes.

For instance, I can't change RMB controlling freelook in Warhammer, to the best of my knowledge.

Edgie on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hmm... ah.

Doing a search brought up some crappy-looking apps that you have to pay for. Apparently this is a seedy underbelly of the software industry, where individuals are looking to scam people. There must be something that's legitimate. I'll do some more searchin'.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    T'was my problem too! My best lead I found was a Geocities page, which, erm, no.

Edgie on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh! Maybe MouseKeys? Would this help? Or would it just be a pain in the butt?

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsxp/mousekeys.aspx

It's not terribly flexible in terms of how you can assign it... but it would give you a key that you can press and the system would think it's the right-mouse button.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Just so you know, using MouseKeys will let you right-click by pressing the "-" (minus) key on the numerical keypad... but as far as I know it's hard coded.

EDIT: Oh, they changed it on me, apparently it's the "5" key now on the numerical keypad.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hrm!

That should work fine during windows, although it doesn't solve my Warhammering plight. I guess not many people need to change their right mouse button to function as mouse three or four, eh?

Edgie on
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't have a link for it now, but this summer I was playing around with a program called GlovePIE that basically could take any kind of input and emulate any other kind of input with it. I never tried using it with games, but it worked with other programs.

Pure Din on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'll go take a look and give it a try.

I downloaded the Logitech mouse program, SetPoint, hoping it would be of use. Hopes were high as I noticed I could assign mouse buttons to act as left click, double-click, and middle mouse button, or even assign a keystroke.

Hopes were dashed as none of these buttons were the right mouse button.

Fuckers. :x

Edgie on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    GlovePIE works perfectly!

A thousand Internets to the both of you. Thanks!

Solved. :-)

Edgie on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I believe Autohotkey could have worked as well.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You could probably get a new switch and solder it into the mouse... good luck with that though.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png