As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Beginning Piano book

proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I got a keyboard for Christmas, and I want to learn to play it. I play another instrument, so I'm fairly competent in theory and reading music, but I haven't played piano for almost a decade, when I took lessons for a couple years.
Basically I'm looking for a decent book/method to get me back up to speed, any recommendations? I'm not looking to take lessons at the moment, possibly in the future, but at the moment I just want something I can do in my room at school.

camo_sig2.png
proXimity on

• Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am going to bump this to say that if anyone knows of any good online resources or any sites like Ultimate Guitar for piano (as in, user-submitted tabs) that would be much appreciated.

Also, any sort of a crash course on time signatures, as that's something I need to work on.

Charles Kinbote on
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios, and Cadences by William A. Palmes, Morton Manus, Amanda Vick Lethco; published by Alfred Publishing Co. Inc.

I got this book a little while ago on a recommendation from a musician friend of mine, and it's worth getting. It's basically exactly what it sounds like: a complete collection of all the different technical things you need to know to play piano. Not exactly exciting, but certainly a good place to start practicing.

Jebu on