As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I have been suspended from school over faith.

BandettaBandetta Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
........Or rather, lack thereof.

I just came back from a meeting with the Dean. I am apparently forbidden from setting foot on campus for 4 days pending a meeting with the dean of education. How did this happen? Your guess is as good as mine. Here's what happened, down to every detail I can remember:

Last week I came to class and sat down to my project group, and one girl named Lacy was discussing her spirituality with other students in the group. I enjoy discussing philosophy but lean towards the skeptical, and so knowing full well that it's a touchy subject, I was extra careful to be polite as I joined the discussion. Lacy laid out her beliefs in "energy layers" and "astral beings" and such, and I jokingly asked her if she believed in leprechauns. It turns out, she does. They live on another energy layer. She went on to explain how this all tied into and was proven by string theory. In the interest of bringing my own view to the discussion, I began to ask her how she knew these things. Again I know all too well that people can be sensitive about their spiritual beliefs, so I was pretty much walking on glass as I did so. I carefully and respectfully explained burden of proof, negative existential default, Occam's Razor etc. Not to disprove her beliefs (which were unfalsifiable anyhow) but to convince her not to insist that they were scientifically proven.

So this week I get called to the Dean's office, where the teacher of that class is sitting down with the Dean, the Associate Dean, the Dean of Student Affairs.....a pretty powerful bunch. The Associate Dean is a heavy set Southern Baptist gal, complete with accent, so I had a sense that I was about to get it hard and fast even before I sat down. My teacher told the group that Lacy had come to her in tears, as in having a total emotional breakdown. Lacy had told her that I was a monster, and that she was afraid of me. I had heard from others that she was emotionally fragile but I didn't think that a friendly discussion between students about philosophy would offend her so deeply. Lacy asked that I be excluded from the project group, so I offered to form a new group with a friend of mine who was in the old group. He was all for it, but the teacher insisted that I would be made to work on my own project, by myself. (This was before the decision to suspend me was made)

Perhaps not realizing the severity of my situation, I tried to defend myself by pointing out that I had only offered a different viewpoint in a discussion that she had started. They didn't respond well. Their mantra was "no discussing religion in school", which is fine except that I did not initiate the conversation, she had. We didn't even really mention any specific religion, we'd just debated about whether or not her beliefs were science as she felt they were. This did not phase the group. Three of them, two of which had not been there at the time, insisted to me that I had verbally attacked Lacy. I had not, and I produced an eyewitness to attest to this. They would not hear from him, and turned him away.

I am meeting with the dean of education in four days. I have already contacted another student who was there, who participated in the conversation with me, and he is willing to attest to the fact that I neither initiated the discussion nor was I anything but civil during the process. All that all I ever did was disagree with a fellow student's opinion. If I can establish this fact to the satisfaction of the dean, I have nothing to worry about.

Here's hoping the dean of education is willing to listen.

Bandetta on

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If only we could have Lacy's view

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sue everyone.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Not sure why you're posting this here.

anyway, separation of church and state in schools only applies to preventing schools from advocating a religion as part of its business. It has no application to private conversations between students, and can't even restrict informal study or prayer groups set up by students on school grounds. Lawyer up, and call the news.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So wait, you were just suspended at random seemingly for having a discussion with some girl about leprechauns on energy layers?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That's terrible, but what are we actually debating and/or discussing?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Cat wrote:

anyway, separation of church and state in schools only applies to preventing schools from advocating a religion as part of its business. It has no application to private conversations between students, and can't even restrict informal study or prayer groups set up by students on school grounds. Lawyer up, and call the news.
    Woo I was right!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    Is this a public school? You might want to post over in H/A, since we're kind of dicks over here.

My thought is that if a lawyer gets called in, they'll back down. On the other hand, four days off school sounds pretty cool.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think you got hosed and all, pal, but I submit that you should have known what you were getting into.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This is a high school, right? Dear god, please let this not be a college.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The Cat wrote:

So that it might be debated or discussed. Oh, and I'll take your advice.

It's a college. :(

Bandetta on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't think that high schools have Deans. At least not public ones.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'd like to hear the point of view of someone else involved in this meeting of the minds of yours.

Somehow I'm betting we'd get a different story.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    I'd like to hear the point of view of someone else involved in this meeting of the minds of yours.

Somehow I'm betting we'd get a different story.

Actually I am calling on the other two participants of the conversation as eyewitnesses, as they have already agreed that I did nothing wrong.

Bandetta on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    The Cat wrote:

So that it might be debated or discussed. Oh, and I'll take your advice.

There's really not much else to say, dude. We only have your side of the story, its fully cut and dried what you should do. If you want us to, I don't know, talk about the way educational admin staff are often reactionary gits, fine, but you need to actually say that.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    If you really need someone elses take I could get one of my classmates (who was present during the incident) to register and post. Considering he's going to be arguing on my behalf during the suspension hearing though, I doubt you'll get the vastly-different story you're looking for.

Bandetta on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think you got hosed and all, pal, but I submit that you should have known what you were getting into.

I agree, to be honest. Does that make it right the way they reacted? Absolutely not. Their reaction is ridiculous.

That being said, it should be pointed that when a person is sharing an aspect of their faith or spirituality or personal beliefs or whatever, that doesn't necessarily open the floor for you to challenge them or make belittling comments. Sometimes people, prompted or without prompt, merely want to share their views on the subject and aren't interested into getting into an academic debate as to why they believe as they do or trying to justify or prove it to others.

I'm sure she was making statements that rang to you as false and misleading, and all you wanted was clarity on the issue and try to make a point about statements like saying something is "proven", but that clearly wasn't what she was looking for and you went with it anyway.

Doesn't make it your fault, but it's something you should definitely be more aware of, and if anything can be gained from this unfortunate circumstance I would hope it would be that.

Pony on
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    If you really need someone elses take I could get one of my classmates to register and post. Considering he's going to be arguing on my behalf during the suspension hearing though, I doubt you'll get the vastly-different story you're looking for.
    I'd like to hear what the energy elves have to say about the incident. Surely there was at least a spirit guide observing things at the time that could chime in on things?

mcc on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Aegeri wrote:
    So wait, you were just suspended at random seemingly for having a discussion with some girl about leprechauns on energy layers?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Pony wrote:
    I'm sure she was making statements that rang to you as false and misleading, and all you wanted was clarity on the issue and try to make a point about statements like saying something is "proven", but that clearly wasn't what she was looking for and you went with it anyway.

Doesn't make it your fault, but it's something you should definitely be more aware of, and if anything can be gained from this unfortunate circumstance I would hope it would be that.

and if she had been talking about how fags and their sympathizers are going to burn in hell for all eternity?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    mcc wrote:
    Bandetta wrote:
    If you really need someone elses take I could get one of my classmates to register and post. Considering he's going to be arguing on my behalf during the suspension hearing though, I doubt you'll get the vastly-different story you're looking for.
    I'd like to hear what the energy elves have to say about the incident. Surely there was at least a spirit guide observing things at the time that could chime in on things?

get mad morlock in here.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    mcc wrote:
    Bandetta wrote:

funny%20fairy.gif

"I didn't see shit."

Bandetta on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Pony wrote:

and if she had been talking about how fags and their sympathizers are going to burn in hell for all eternity?

THen she would be deep in shit.

Rule Number 1: Stupid hypotheticals are stupid hypotheticals.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    How the hell could this happen at a college??? I have never heard of the deans getting involved over something like this. At my college it takes someone punching another guy in the face in class for something to happen.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i dont know this thing sort of smacks of shenanigans.

I'm not saying there's no way it can be true, it's just quite possible that it's not

Sam on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Pony wrote:

That's ok you see, because the Bible says that Gays are evil and also says it's the word of God. As the word of God is true (Because everything God says is true) then that makes the Bible the word of God and therefore true. Ergo, when the Bible says the Gays are evil then that must also be true.

At least that's what the nice man from Destiny Church, who wore black outfits and protested outside of parliament said.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Hm. Wait, this is a college? Not a high school? If this is a college, and the incident occurred as you say it did, and there are actual repercussions for you, there are organizations you can complain to. Is this a state or private school?

mcc on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Pony wrote:

She would've probably caught shit for hate speech. Maybe. Depending on how liberal the college is and stuff. I figure, considering they are taking the side of energy layer gal over occam's razor guy, they'd probably be the sort who didn't stand for people being angrily anti-gay.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Sam wrote:

I'm not saying there's no way it can be true, it's just quite possible that it's not

I hate to admit this, as much as I love a good story of the man oppressing someone unfairly, I just don't know if I believe this. If this is the case, you seriously need to go to the press or get a lawyer, because you've had one hell of a boning.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wait, this happened at a college? Oh man, this is all kinds of fucked up.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Aegeri wrote:

That's about the size of it.
    mcc wrote:
    Hm. Wait, this is a college? Not a high school? If this is a college, and the incident occurred as you say it did, and there are actual repercussions for you, there are organizations you can complain to. Is this a state or private school?

It's a private art college.

Bandetta on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Pony wrote:

THen she would be deep in shit.

Rule Number 1: Stupid hypotheticals are stupid hypotheticals.

it would just be an innocuous statement of her belief. it doesn't mean we all should jump on her for something like that.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ethicalseanethicalsean Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sam wrote:

Human or Leprechaun?

ethicalsean on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Aegeri wrote:
    Pony wrote:

That's ok you see, because the Bible says that Gays are evil and also says it's the word of God. As the word of God is true (Because everything God says is true) then that makes the Bible the word of God and therefore true. Ergo, when the Bible says the Gays are evil then that must also be true.

At least that's what the nice man from Destiny Church, who wore black outfits and protested outside of parliament said.

but if that's so than the koran couldn't be true. but we know the koran is true. don't you see? your logic eats itself!

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    urbmanurbman Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The way he said the deans responded to the situation makes it sound like a southern school. Going to school down there the last two years they really dont like when someone puts science over any kind of religion, unless you know; your an arab.

But this is just ridiculous.

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    "No discussing religion" is a rule at the college? That in and of itself is bullshit.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    "No discussing religion" is a rule at the college? That in and of itself is bullshit.

My art school is actually pretty liberal and has a very strict anti-intolerance policy. The purpose of the upcoming suspension hearing will be to determine whether or not my disagreeing with Lacy's spiritual convictions consitutes hate speech.

Bandetta on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:

My art school is actually pretty liberal and has a very strict anti-intolerance policy. The purpose of the upcoming suspension hearing will be to determine whether or not my disagreeing with Lacy's spiritual convictions consitutes hate speech.

Oh man. You have to tell all this to the ACLU. They will get you an attorney and everything. The story is just writing itself.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    How exactly does one get the attention of the ACLU?

Bandetta on
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:

hate speech

Ahahahahahahaha!....Im sorry. I had to get that out.

Sounds like your going a good route. Lawyers and witnesses. See if the lawyer can recommend some organizations that would be interested in this. ACLU is the first to come to mind. Seems like their kind of thing. http://www.aclu.org/affiliates/ That link gives a list of state locations to contact.

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
This discussion has been closed.