As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

1up.com sold to UGO/Hearst; EGM shut down. Yes, the podcasts too.

• Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JCRooks wrote: »
    The only reason they were "upfront and honest" about their views is because of the massive blowback and resulting firestorm from posting the article in its state in the first place.
    Keep in mind that "massive blowback" is all relative, especially when it comes to the Internet. Well of course Nintendo fanboys on the Internet are going to get all in a rage. We've seen that happen time and time again over the most idiotic things (like the "omg Twilight Princess is an 8.8? FOR SHAME!"). However, what percentage of that is their actual userbase? My guess is fairly small. Isn't GameInformer the magazine essentially handed away or upsold with almost every GameStop purchase? That's pretty freaking mainstream right there.

Really, I hadn't heard about this "firestorm" regarding Paper Mario until it was brought up here. I find it hard to believe that it really is a big deal.
    Basically, they released it, got shit for it, and doubled back the best way they knew how. They gave that ridiculous response as an excuse. It wasn't a matter of fact for the sake of it. That's why I originally said that they up front admitted that their magazine isn't worth reading, which you seem to be agreeing with now, oddly.

Hey, go re-read my original reply. I never said that the magazine was worth reading for myself or other gaming enthusiasts. Instead, I said quite the opposite. I was just pointing out that at least they are truthful with what the purpose of their reviews and how they do it. Tis all. Don't get all angry at me over the wrong thing. :)

I never said that you said that. In fact I said the opposite. The odd part was that the tone of your post implies that you're disagreeing with me, when in fact we agree on that point.
    My point is that at the end of the day, there are tons of magazines out there on store shelves covering a wide variety of subjects in very different ways. Some skew for a more sophisticated audience, others pander to the lowest common denominator. To each their own. I don't criticize People magazine for the way they cover the news because I just don't care. Or I guess I could, but it's sort of pointless. I feel the same way regarding GameInformer and UGO.

This is where I disagree. In fact, before this review I would say it was asinine to imply that Gameinformer appeals to a somehow different demographic than other gaming magazines, because they don't. Game Informer still reviews a swath of games from different genres, and different demographics, with the same candor that other mags like the defunct GMR magazine and EGM and Edge do or did. The only difference between them stands at this review; whereas other mags have said "listen, if you don't like the review, then fine, but that was my opinion on the game" and stood on their journalistic integrity, GI came out and said "oh well, we figured you guys didn't like it so that's why we did that." People magazine wouldn't pull shit like that with its readers, why are we to expect such foolish treatment ?

Also, please refrain from the "olol Nintendo fanboys" crap. This could just as easily have been a complaint levied from any camp, the type of fan involved shouldn't diminish the complaint as long as it's legitimate.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    2438976221_df324a1772_o.jpg

I read and re-read, and re-re-read this magazine until it fell apart, because there was a very long gap between this and the second issue. I seriously think I read it 100 times, constantly being amazed by the screencaps of next gen games and arcade machines.

Very sad to see so many talented people let go from 1up so unceremoniously. The business side of things is simply unpleasant.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Me and Willeth do the SavyGamer podcast, which we are starting up again soon, possibly this weekend.

LewieP on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also, please refrain from the "olol Nintendo fanboys" crap.

[DO-NOT-TAKE-THIS-TOO-SERIOUSLY]
    Especially as poster himself is a walking billboard for Microsoft. :)
    [/DO-NOT-TAKE-THIS-TOO-SERIOUSLY]

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Now for something depressing:
    These numbers seem off, but this is what the Consumer Magazine Advertising Source database is telling me for subscriptions:

Gamepro: 3,836,000

Game Informer:
    Total: 3,498,935
    Paid: 2,761,038

EGM:
    Total: 602,475
    Paid: 532,646

Official Xbox:
    Total: 403,869
    Paid: 312,212

PS: Official:
    Total: 301,151

Nintendo Power:
    Total: 300,000

PC Gamer:
    Total: 192,614
    Paid: 177,614

Tips And Tricks
    Total: 98,513

Games for Windows (2007)
    Total: 199,328
    Paid: 15,894
    The mediocre will inherit the earth.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I read and re-read, and re-re-read this magazine until it fell apart, because there was a very long gap between this and the second issue. I seriously think I read it 100 times, constantly being amazed by the screencaps of next gen games and arcade machines.

Very sad to see so many talented people let go from 1up so unceremoniously. The business side of things is simply unpleasant.

Heh, they knew next to nothing about formatting back then. It's cute really.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The candid, "fly on the wall" style of shooting the interviews and game discussions on the 1up show has been a very big influence me. Every time a new episode would come out I'd watch it once for enjoyment and a second time to take notes. I hope Ryan and Matt are able to secure something where they can continue developing their skills.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009

I think that's more a limitation of the computers/etc they access to back then

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I would open my dog-eared copy of that issue of EGM and stare at the Strider (Genesis) screencaps, wondering how such amazing graphics were possible on a console.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Probably, I just find all the open white space and dead spots funny.

Not knocking them, just fun to think about.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Probably, I just find all the open white space and dead spots funny.

Not knocking them, just fun to think about.

Desktop publishing on my Amiga 500 will be the future! THE FUTURE.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm gonna miss Milky. His interviews were great.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My point is that at the end of the day, there are tons of magazines out there on store shelves covering a wide variety of subjects in very different ways. Some skew for a more sophisticated audience, others pander to the lowest common denominator. To each their own. I don't criticize People magazine for the way they cover the news because I just don't care. Or I guess I could, but it's sort of pointless. I feel the same way regarding GameInformer and UGO.

This is where I disagree. In fact, before this review I would say it was asinine to imply that Gameinformer appeals to a somehow different demographic than other gaming magazines, because they don't. Game Informer still reviews a swath of games from different genres, and different demographics, with the same candor that other mags like the defunct GMR magazine and EGM and Edge do or did. The only difference between them stands at this review; whereas other mags have said "listen, if you don't like the review, then fine, but that was my opinion on the game" and stood on their journalistic integrity, GI came out and said "oh well, we figured you guys didn't like it so that's why we did that." People magazine wouldn't pull shit like that with its readers, why are we to expect such foolish treatment ?

I would disagree that Game Informer is shooting for the same demographic as, say, EDGE. Heck, just go to the EDGE Magazine site and compare it to Game Informer. The former is definitely a bit more mature in its industry focus. Other examples, GamesIndustry.biz and say a Kotaku. Yes, both are websites that feature a lot of games industry related news (and indeed, you'll usually find the same news articles in both places), but obviously their demographics and their purpose are different.
    elkatas wrote: »
    Also, please refrain from the "olol Nintendo fanboys" crap.

[DO-NOT-TAKE-THIS-TOO-SERIOUSLY]
    Especially as poster himself is a walking billboard for Microsoft. :)
    [/DO-NOT-TAKE-THIS-TOO-SERIOUSLY]

Touché. ;-)

And for the record, I grew up as a "olol Nintendo fanboy", back when the "good fight" was all about Nintendo vs SEGA. Yes, I have had my "heart broken" by the Big N (stupid Sony and their PlayStation stomping all over the N64). Then I realized how utterly stupid that was.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Torch the bridge.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Or is it "burning the rope" now?

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    These numbers seem off, but this is what the Consumer Magazine Advertising Source database is telling me for subscriptions:

Gamepro: 3,836,000

Game Informer:
    Total: 3,498,935
    Paid: 2,761,038

EGM:
    Total: 602,475
    Paid: 532,646

Official Xbox:
    Total: 403,869
    Paid: 312,212

PS: Official:
    Total: 301,151

Nintendo Power:
    Total: 300,000

PC Gamer:
    Total: 192,614
    Paid: 177,614

Tips And Tricks
    Total: 98,513

Games for Windows (2007)
    The mediocre will inherit the earth.

Ugh. I've always thought EGM was a worthless pile of steaming shit vomit and I'm not really sad at all to see them go (other than feeling for the hard working folk that lost their jobs). But Gamepro is probably the worst of them all, bar none, from what I've experienced.

GameInformer is...whatever. A lot of people get it for free. I see that rag less as "gaming journalism" and more as an advertisement book for gamestop customers. However, even though gaming journalism itself is an utter joke, I don't think it's too much to ask for the same amount of integrity that's called upon other journalists. There's a big difference between a proper review and a biased editorial.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think GamePro just chugs along since it's basically GameFAQs: The Magazine

edit: whoops I was thinking of Tips & Tricks actually.

I don't know anybody that actually reads GamePro.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Some very interesting insight from the UGO side of things:

UGO Chief Tells Us His Side Of 1UP Purchase Saga
    http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/01/07/ugo-chief-tells-us-his-side-of-1up-purchase-saga/
    How do you like being a bad guy? That’s the first question I asked J Moses, CEO of the UGO Entertainment today, in an interview that I hoped would clear the air or at least tell the other side of the story that’s been lighting up gaming sites for the last 24 hours: the shutdown of Electronic Gaming Monthly, the firing of about 30 1UP.com employees and the purchase of 1up by UGO.

“How am I a bad guy?” Moses replied from his end of the phone. “I’m a great guy.”

On a day that many gamers are vilifying his company, Moses sounded upbeat. The reason: because he states unequivocally that his company just saved 1UP.

“We have just hired 24 people,” he said. “At a time where all you read about is layoffs we have expanded UGO by 33 percent. I don’t know of any content companies out there expanding their workforce. We did that because our business is robust and growing.”

While some gamers are lamenting what they see is a UGO-engineered gutting of 1UP, Moses argues that that interpretation is wrong. “The simple reality is that we only wanted to buy 1UP and related sites. That was our interest. We’re a dot-com company and that’s all we’ve ever been for 11 years. I’ve personally have always been a huge fan of 1UP. I’m thrilled to buy it through Hearst/UGO.”

Obviously this is a bit of PR-speak and damage control. However, he does have a good point. There are certainly worse things that could happen, such as everyone at 1UP/EGM losing their jobs and nothing happening with those brands anymore. At least it will continue in some fashion. We'll see in a year, though, if 1UP.com continues to maintain its same look and feel or if it just turns into a redirect to UGO.com.

Also, regarding Shane:
    Asked if 1UP Yours and the 1UP Show specifically would continue, Moses said that those decisions are still being worked through between UGO and the 1UP editorial team. What’s not encouraging for fans of those shows is the departure of the 1UP Show’s producers and one of 1UPyours’ key voices, Shane Bettenhausen. About those personnel, Moses deferred to continuing 1UP editorial director Sam Kennedy as the decision-maker about how and with whom those shows would continue. Moses did call out one person, though: “We would have loved to have had Shane join us, but Shane had other opportunities that we were informed of before we bought the site.”

(Reached for comment, Bettenhausen said he wasn’t ready to announce his new gig just yet.)

My guess is that Shane, along with other former 1UP folks, long saw the writing on the wall and had been exploring other options for a while. The timing seems a bit coincidental though. Oh well. It'll be curious to see where he turns up.

JCRooks on

• Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Regarding Shane: I'm sure it was like this:
    Oh, so you've been looking in to other work eh? Guess we don't even need to offer you a job. Heres your pink slip.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shane himself said it was coincidental. He had contemplated leaving during the christmas break, and this kinda made it happen. He hasn't said anything about where he's going, but the prime suspect at the moment is Naughty Dog.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It seems odd that a lot of people who work in gaming magazines go on to work for developers. You don't really see that happen with film critics.
    Tell you, you corn-stalk, you cabbage, you son of a cauliflower? It's the first time I ever heard such an unfeeling remark. I tell you I have been in the editorial business going on fourteen years, and it is the first time I ever heard of a man's having to know anything in order to edit a newspaper. You turnip! Who write the dramatic critiques for the second-rate papers? Why, a parcel of promoted shoemakers and apprentice apothecaries, who know just as much about good acting as I do about good farming and no more. Who review the books? People who never wrote one. Who do up the heavy leaders on finance? Parties who have had the largest opportunities for knowing nothing about it. Who criticize the Indian campaigns? Gentlemen who do not know a war-whoop from a wigwam, and who never have had to run a foot-race with a tomahawk, or pluck arrows out of the several members of their families to build the evening camp-fire with. Who write the temperance appeals, and clamor about the flowing bowl? Folks who will never draw another sober breath till they do it in the grave. Who edit the agricultural papers, you--yam? Men, as a general thing, who fail in the poetry line, yellow-colored novel line, sensation, drama line, city-editor line, and finally fall back on agriculture as a temporary reprieve from the poorhouse. You try to tell me anything about the newspaper business! Sir, I have been through it from Alpha to Omaha, and I tell you that the less a man knows the bigger the noise he makes and the higher the salary he commands. Heaven knows if I had but been ignorant instead of cultivated, and impudent instead of diffident, I could have made a name for myself in this cold, selfish world. I take my leave, sir. Since I have been treated as you have treated me, I am perfectly willing to go. But I have done my duty. I have fulfilled my contract as far as I was permitted to do it. I said I could make your paper of interest to all classes--and I have. I said I could run your circulation up to twenty thousand copies, and if I had had two more weeks I'd have done it. And I'd have given you the best class of readers that ever an agricultural paper had--not a farmer in it, nor a solitary individual who could tell a watermelon-tree from a peach-vine to save his life. You are the loser by this rupture, not me, Pie-plant. Adios

Couscous on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Games for Windows (2007)

That is the saddest thing of all. Only 8% of GFW subscribers were actually paying for it? That breaks my heart.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Movie/film critics usually don't have a background in writing.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It seems odd that a lot of people who work in gaming magazines go on to work for developers. You don't really see that happen with film critics.

This was discussed in a panel at last year's GDC, with folks like N'Gai, Totilo, Shawn Elliot up on stage taking questions from developers and other people in the audience.

One of the main challenges facing the game media is that too many folks view writing about games as merely a stepping stone for working on games. That shouldn't be the case. It's especially problematic because it creates a potential conflict of interest. If you know you're going to be interviewing with company X in a few weeks, do you take yourself off the review? What if you don't want your boss to know that? Do you trust yourself to remain unbiased?

By no means were folks saying that everyone who goes from the media to work in games tainted things, but it's definitely a challenge. We've already seen countless folk from 1UP/Ziff-Davis head to numerous game companies, ranging from Bungie, to MS, to Sony studios. That only perpetuates the myth that writing about games is a great way to work in games.

JCRooks on

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

This was discussed in a panel at last year's GDC, with folks like N'Gai, Totilo, Shawn Elliot up on stage taking questions from developers and other people in the audience.

You don't happen to have some sort of link to a transcript or video of this panel?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, I'd never do that. I could never muster up the creative juices to be constantly working on perfecting one game. I would much rather sit and let the games come to me, and try to frantically beat as many as possible before the deadline.

(And now it seems like all the magazines are being torpedoed. D:)

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »

You don't happen to have some sort of link to a transcript or video of this panel?

Oooh, you are in luck. I managed to find one here: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17657

JCRooks on

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It can be done, but don't aim for it to be longer than a half hour.

Back when it was actually a podcast, I was editing 1 hour-2 hour podcasts. Never again.

Maybe make it a podcast consisting of three people.

For instance, a guy that really likes Final Fantasy (me)

A guy that really hates Final Fantasy.

And for the third guy, someone who casually plays it (likes some, hates others)

Just a thought.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The sky is black tinted orange. As the city burns, the last man gazes down upon it from atop distant hill. A single tear rolls down his cheek. He slowly turns his back on the flame engulfed spires of once great buildings, hitches the bag containing the last few vestiges of the life he once knew over his shoulder, and walks into the wilderness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUgC6215Gko

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Back when it was actually a podcast, I was editing 1 hour-2 hour podcasts. Never again.

Just a thought.

Well, I despise Final Fantasy, so there you go..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Reading this thread makes me think about how much I really miss Next Generation. Now that was an adult-oriented Gaming magazine. I remember each issue used to be half an inch thick. I wish I still had those magazines... :(

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Just a thought.

Well, I despise Final Fantasy, so there you go..

And I liked 12 but didn't like a lot of the others at all!

Go Team Penny-Arcade!

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/01/07/ugo-chief-tells-us-his-side-of-1up-purchase-saga/
    How do you like being a bad guy? That’s the first question I asked J Moses, CEO of the UGO Entertainment today, in an interview that I hoped would clear the air or at least tell the other side of the story that’s been lighting up gaming sites for the last 24 hours: the shutdown of Electronic Gaming Monthly, the firing of about 30 1UP.com employees and the purchase of 1up by UGO.

“How am I a bad guy?” Moses replied from his end of the phone. “I’m a great guy.”

On a day that many gamers are vilifying his company, Moses sounded upbeat. The reason: because he states unequivocally that his company just saved 1UP.

“We have just hired 24 people,” he said. “At a time where all you read about is layoffs we have expanded UGO by 33 percent. I don’t know of any content companies out there expanding their workforce. We did that because our business is robust and growing.”

While some gamers are lamenting what they see is a UGO-engineered gutting of 1UP, Moses argues that that interpretation is wrong. “The simple reality is that we only wanted to buy 1UP and related sites. That was our interest. We’re a dot-com company and that’s all we’ve ever been for 11 years. I’ve personally have always been a huge fan of 1UP. I’m thrilled to buy it through Hearst/UGO.”

Obviously this is a bit of PR-speak and damage control. However, he does have a good point. There are certainly worse things that could happen, such as everyone at 1UP/EGM losing their jobs and nothing happening with those brands anymore. At least it will continue in some fashion. We'll see in a year, though, if 1UP.com continues to maintain its same look and feel or if it just turns into a redirect to UGO.com.

Well It's not a bad point that he makes but it's also the fact that they have 1up in name only because most of what made 1up good has been let go now, so all in all I don't see 1up.com now being anything but a redirect to UGO.com though to be fair I will keep an eye on 1up because they still have some staff I care about and see what they do.

Lothars on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm sure Hollywood critics do consulting and screening. Hollywood is almost as insular as the gaming industry. People who work in gaming magazines also get a good view of the process, as they often get to see the product from its inception to release. They've learned how to analyze games and isolate what works and what doesn't, and that is another skill game developers may find useful. They also have knowledge of how other teams have approached similar problems and whether or not their approach worked. All that experience has to count for something.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Idea: 30 game reviews in 30 minutes, or something equally absurd.

Ultra-frantic, everyone up to their eyeballs in caffeine.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rebel FM is Go! Some of the canned members got a podcast out tonight!

The server might be a bit wonky so it might take awhile to get working since it's running off one of the guys old sites and all.

Cade on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lothars wrote: »

Well It's not a bad point that he makes but it's also the fact that they have 1up in name only because most of what made 1up good has been let go now, so all in all I don't see 1up.com now being anything but a redirect to UGO.com though to be fair I will keep an eye on 1up because they still have some staff I care about and see what they do.

And the key thing is that he has fired (or made impotent) those aspects and staff of 1up that I actually liked, and felt made 1 up different from all the other sites. True I applaud him for hiring on some of the staff, I just feel he doesn't understand what was interesting about 1up, and has botched the job here. If they had said "1up will now become the key gateway and producer for all our UGO audio and video blog content, alongside the excellent content already developed at 1up" then I would say he had done a good job by everyone. As it is you just get the feeling that the staff members have been hired on to prevent our utter wrath against UGO.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Cade wrote: »
    Rebel FM is Go! Some of the canned members got a podcast out tonight!

The server might be a bit wonky so it might take awhile to get working since it's running off one of the guys old sites and all.

Rehost

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ahahaha, they plan to charge for the spiritual successor to the 1up show?!?!

AHAHAHA

LewieP on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Ahahaha, they plan to charge for the spiritual successor to the 1up show?!?!

AHAHAHA

And how the fuck else is that going to work?

Paradox Control on
    \