As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unskippable: From The Escapist

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
Anyone catch this new segment while watching the latest Zero Punctuation? The concept seems to be an MST3K rip on videogame cutscenes.

Frankly, I love the concept, and I found the vid quite hilarious. This could be my new favorite segment to watch every week in place of AVGN and ZP, and I'm looking forward to see what other cutscenes are going to get this treatment later on.

I really hope they do a vid on this cutscene next (Eternal Sonata Spoiler):

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That was pretty funny! Looking forward to the next one.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The jokes were funny, but ironically the segment suffered from being way to slow pacing wise. Good stuff, but I lost interest halfway through. Thank god I didn't buy the game.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good stuff.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sweet Jesus, It's like they tried to make the least interesting cut scene possible.

And the other clip, it's got to be the worst death scene I have seen in my life. They actually showed flash backs from itself. Who would think that's a good idea?

Mr. Pokeylope on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm REALLY envious of the guys that say they do this for a job.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As someone who got 5 hours into Eternal Sonata trying my damndest to love it, this cracked me up far, far too much.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The one guy was a lot funnier than the other guy. It was like..

Funny Joke
    Stupid Joke
    Repeat

I liked:

*They are the reason Tanuto is also known by another name...*

"Cleveland..."

*the village of flowers*

"Oh.. makes more sense."

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really wanted to get through this video..but christ that opening is long and boring.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Damn that's a boring clip without that commentary. It's like this is the cutscene without the commentary: And this is the cutscene with the commentary: Alright, so maybe it wasn't as funny as the dentist song, but not a bad start. Nothing is perfect the first time out. Hopefully they'll save the really terrible stuff (like Metal Gear Solid cutscenes) until they've got the kinks worked out.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    And people say MGS scenes are bad.

Renzo on
  • Options
    rocky62rocky62 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    yeah, seemed a little stretched out to me, but wasn't too bad.

rocky62 on
    Gaming Elite! :P e2ad76f2326fbc6b56a45a56c59fafdb.gif2bc8ae25856bc2a6a1333d1331a3b7a6.giff542eae1949358e25d8bfeefe5b199f1.gif
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

Their cheese factor alone makes the comedic potential of MGS cutscenes far greater, though. With an intro as dull as that Eternal Sonata garbage, there's just not much to work with.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That was pretty funny to watch.

Is all of that really from the intro of the game? The thing shown first seems like something that wouldn't be until later.

Peewi on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh god this has the potential to be absolutely brilliant

Most video games have stories about on par with the worst B movies, so there's a lot of material to work with

I will be following this very closely

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh crap this is by the LoadingReadyRun guys

Those are the same guys that do the Desert Bus for Hope thing

Well now I've got another reason to like them

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is awful and those involved should feel ashamed.

The general idea isn't bad, but it's got all of the details wrong. With a better script and two voices which didn't make me want to burst my eardrums for the sweet embrace of eternal silence, it could go somewhere.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wasn't there a movie or a TV show or something that did this with old science fiction movies?

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My god that cutscene makes my brain hurt.

I mean... they spent money on that, someone wrote that.

A bit off topic, what cutscenes have been really good? I'm kind of partial to Left 4 Dead's cutscene myself.

override367 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    This is awful and those involved should feel ashamed.

The general idea isn't bad, but it's got all of the details wrong. With a better script and two voices which didn't make me want to burst my eardrums for the sweet embrace of eternal silence, it could go somewhere.

I disagree. While yes, there is room for improvement (it's their first effort, after all, all commentaries start weak on the first), I feel they got the tone of their voices down pat. It's a lot like Joel from MST3K, half satire and half dying on the inside. Sounding any chipper would ruin the joke, methinks.
    Sweet Jesus, It's like they tried to make the least interesting cut scene possible.

And the other clip, it's got to be the worst death scene I have seen in my life. They actually showed flash backs from itself. Who would think that's a good idea?

I've been saying that for a while. They managed to completely suck the drama out of that scene and had me basically saying "Good God, just die already." more than once.

What's even more ridiculous is that
    You can bring her back to life, and her resurrection sequence is the equivalent of "Oh yeah, welcome back", and that's that.
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I really wanted to get through this video..but christ that opening is long and boring.

I think the real problem with ES's cutscenes, besides the length, is how fucking preachy it is. A metaphor for introducing the setting as an opening performance is fine, but spending over five minutes cramming it down our throats that holy shit this is just like the beginning of a fucking epic performance is just beyond overkill.

Ironically the preachiness made the ending more effective for me, but I can see how it would have people rage further.

The fact that it's one of the prettiest games this gen and also had a great soundtrack at least saved the story somewhat.
    Wasn't there a movie or a TV show or something that did this with old science fiction movies?

Your ignorance disgusts me.

• Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I caught one of the segments on the end of ZP's award video this week and I thought it was pretty awful. I like the concept but wow, it was quite bad.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's their only segment so far.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

Oh some of them are so much worse than that.

I particularly despised that one near the end of MGS2 that was almost literally 'Here is the entire MGS plot so far', told verbatim by every character via codec. That was so dumb.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

ROLL FIZZLEBEEF

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's a good idea, but shouldn't it be funny? Like, at all?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I agree it's a good idea, but done horribly. Then again, I hate Zero Punctuation, so to me it's still better than that.

Mostly it's just the one guy failing at saying anything funny followed by awkward pauses.

commathe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Some of you are just really picky I swear

I thought it was quite funny

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There were some parts in there where I went "I guess that's funny", but overall it was pretty terrible. These guys just sound so bored, it's like doing this thing is the very last thing on Earth they'd want to be doing but hey it pays money so why not phone it in and collect the check.

reVerse on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah. And it's really obvious been prewritten and rehearsed, so there's no spontaneity there, they're just dialling in jokes they've long since stopped finding funny. The choice of cutscene didn't help either, there's just not enough to work with. Someithng like this needs to be quick, agile and punchy, moving very quickly from joke to joke so when they say something not especially funny it doesn't matter. Going ten seconds between jokes is awful, when those jokes only really have a 50% chance of being funny to any given person. They need to be two people who can effectively riff off each other and come up with ideas instantly and at the right moment, and give them the punch they deserver, not just mutter them.

And American accents don't help either. I'm with Mojo on this: for most of it the voices alone were making me wish for the gentle caring embrace of deafness - Sorry yanks, but your accent just sounds horrible, and is totally unsuited for comedy, especially the observational quick stuff this needs to work. Get a Scot or Northerner to do it. Shit, even someone with a deep Westcountry accent could do it (I'm not suggesting me, though my accent is indeed trés sexy). Even an Australian could change it for the better.

So once they've got the performance, the accent, the material and the writing completely ripped out and replaced, maybe I'll give it another look. But even then it's probably a dead horse. Watching / Writing about terrible stuff is an old and busted idea, and it really would take some genius to bring it back as something with the potential for serious comedy.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I thought it was funny. But I played this game before watching and have been yearning to hear someone slam at least some part of it. It is awful.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I am convinced that some of you have never seen MST3K or are just terrible at telling what is funny

I mean come on, this was better than GAME DAMAGE at least, and that had a British Australian in it! (seriously what the hell dude, "your accent sucks for comedy that is a fact now if you'll excuse me let me polish my own knob." Yeah real humble over there ben, if that is your real name)

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I am convinced that some of you have never seen MST3K or are just terrible at telling what is funny

I mean come on, this was better than GAME DAMAGE at least, and that had a British Australian in it! (seriously what the hell dude, "your accent sucks for comedy that is a fact now if you'll excuse me let me polish my own knob." Yeah real humble over there ben, if that is your real name)

I just love the fact that he assumes that all "yanks" have a "yank accent". :lol: And on top of that, this mystical accent is, despite decades of successful American comedians, "totally unsuited for comedy".

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Finally someone says it.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

They're actually still going. Now also with major movies.

They're just called Rifftrax now.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Visti wrote: »

They're actually still going. Now also with major movies.

They're just called Rifftrax now.

And Cinematic Titanic
    Caedere wrote:
    I just love the fact that he assumes that all "yanks" have a "yank accent". And on top of that, this mystical accent is, despite decades of successful American comedians, "totally unsuited for comedy".

Seriously, like a Brit gets to lecture us about comedy after Benny Hill

Anyway, I still think that this concept has a hell of a lot of potential with all the terribly written video games out there, and that no one can deny

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ...What the hell is WRONG with you people?

This? Not funny? Have you people seriously never seen MST3K?

MechMantis on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    not bad at all and it'll only get better

everyone who's hating on this is both po-faced and probably a dick

also who the hell said that american accents can't do funny

seriously fall in a fucking well and drown

YaYa on
  • Options
    SolidhavocSolidhavoc Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Most of what the Escapist puts it is pretty mediocre comedy, to be honest. Not terrible, not great. And that does include ZP.

Solidhavoc on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That was quite funny. Certainly got a lot of chuckles from me. Shall watch the next one.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    YaYa wrote: »
    everyone who's hating on this is...probably a dick

Ok well you have me there

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg